Historical Report on Lot 4, Block 7
in the City of St. Augustine,
with Chain of Title Appended
Overton G. Ganong
March 28, 1975
Site History Lot 4, Block 7
In early 1764, as the last shiploads of Spanish residents were
evacuating Florida, the accountant Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente prepared
a real estate survey to record property ownership at the time of the province's
cession to Great Britain. The site in question appears on Puente's map as
number 80 lying just north of number 81, a house and lot belonging to Antonia
de Avero. The property is described as a tabby house on a lot measuring 15
varas north to south and 71 varas east to west, both house and lot owned by
Don Geronimo de Hita.
Geronimo Joseph de Hita y Salazar, born in October, 1706, 2was a
son of the Adjutant Don Pedro de Hita Salazar and a grandson of Pablo de
Hita y Salazar, Governor and Captain-General of Florida from 1675-1680. #3
Although a member of one of St. Augustine's most illustrious criollo families,
Geronimo had failed to attain a distinguished position in local society. He
joined the garrison in 1734 at the age of twenty-eight, becoming a cavalryman. #4
After eighteen years of service he was still a private. #5 By 1763 he had command
of the garrison of free blacks at Fort Mose, but the position conveyed no increase
in salary beyond the 264 pesos a year earned by a cavalryman. #6 The De Hita
family income was twice that of an infantryman (132 pesos) and greater than
the salaries of artillerymen (168 pesos) or of infantry and artillery non-com-
missioned officers, but was substantially below the amounts earned by com-
missioned officers. #7 Economically, the De Hitas occupied the middle rungs
of the ladder.
On December 20, 1736, Geronimo married a twenty-one-year-old widow,
Juana de Avero, the second oldest of the Avero daughters.#8 She had first
married at sixteen, wedding a ship's pilot named Simon de Morales and
bearing him a son who died shortly after birth. 0 The date of her husband's
death is not certain, but she obviously had become romantically involved
with Geronimo by early 1736, for she bore him a daughter, Eugenia Bacilia,
a week before their marriage. #12 The union ultimately produced four more
children, Simon, Francisca, Leocadia Maria, and Maria Isabel. The
De Hitas were luckier than most parents of the time--all their children lived
to maturity 14
Geronimo owned two houses in 1763, the one on St. George Street
and another, also of tabby, on the south side of present-day Bridge Street
in the middle of the block between Charlotte and St. George Streets. #15
We can assume, however, that he lived in the former, among his wife's
sisters and their families. Unfortunately, none of the sources consulted
revealed when the houses were built or how Geronimo acquired them.
Like most residents of St. Augustine, Geronimo failed to sell his
properties before leaving Florida and thus relied on Elixio de la Puente to
dispose of them when he returned to St. Augustine in May, 1764, acting as
agent for the departed residents. But even such a capable man as Elixio de la
Puente enjoyed scant success, for most incoming British soldiers lacked the
money to buy property, and the civilians hoped to secure grants from the
government. #17 Consequently, as the eighteen-month deadline fr property
government. Consequently, as the eighteen-month deadline for property
sales approached, the increasingly nervous Spanish gent resorted to deals
with a handful of British speculators. The De Hita house and lot on Bridge
Street he sold to Jacob Kip and Benjamin Barton for 20 pesos; the property
on St. George Street went to Jesse Fish for 25 pesos. #18
A long-time resident of St. Augustine as factor for the William Walton
Company of New York, Fish acquired a major portion of the houses and lots
in St. Augustine under the provision that he would sell them and remit the
proceeds to the original owners. By this arrangement Elixio de la Puente
hoped to beat the deadline while at the same time preserving some chance for
the former residents to be compensated for their losses. As it turned out,
Geronimo and Juana never realized a single real from the sale of their pro-
The references to the De Hita property in Fish's account book are
puzzling. Two sales were evidently made, the first in 1764 for "his lot sold
for 20 pesos. The purchaser was not named, nor was a house indicated.
The second entry reads "1777, August 20, for his house and lot sold to
Captain Rainford. ",#20 Fish possibly sold a portion of the lot in 1764, but
the Moncrief map of 1765 does not corroborate this interpretation, since the
lot appears complete and the whole property is assigned to Fish. #21 No
evidence to clarify this problem has come to light. About the other trans-
action we have more evidence. Captain Andrew Rainsford, a British officer,
purchased several properties on St. George Street. In 1765 Moncrief indicated
his owning a lot, two houses and an outbuilding just north of the Arrivas house.
Sometime before 1771 he left the province#22 but evidently had returned by
1777, for on August 20 of that year he purchased not only the D Hita house and
lot but also the house and lot of Bernardo Gonzalez just to the north. #23
Apparently the De Hita house, shown on Moncrief as a two-room (or double?)
structure with an outbuilding in back, still existed. But its days were num-
bered. Under circumstances presently unknown the building soon disappeared,
and the lot, seized by the Crown, was sold by the Provost Marshal at a vendue
held on December 21, 1778. The purchaser was Luciano de Herrera, one of
the handful of Spaniards who remained during the British occupation. He paid
15 pounds sterling for the lot, described as "fronting to the West on George
Street having North and South thirty Spanish yards and East and West Sixty
five Spanish yards". #24
Herrera held the lot through the end of the British period. Not long
after the Spanish administration returned in 1784, Lt. Colonel Antonio Fernandez,
commander of a dragoon company/and son-in-law of Juana's sister, Antonia
de Avero, arrived with power of attorney from Antonia's children.
Acting on the belief that former residents, or their representatives,
were entitled to reoccupy their former properties, Fernandez seized two Avero
buildings, one of them Antonia's "large house, number 81 Puente. Since
the lot adjoining it had belonged to Antonia's sister and her husband, he claimed
it as well. When the engineer Mariano de la Rocque compiled his map of the
city in 1788, he recorded that the Avero house had "a portion of the neighboring
lot annexed" and was "in the custody of Don Antonio Fernandez. #26 It is
noteworthy that he did not recognize Fernandez as the legitimate owner.
The lot to the north of the Avero house, the one Luciano de Herrera
had bought at public auction in 1778, evidently comprised both the De Hita and
the Gonzalez lots, sold by Puente to Fish and by Fish to Andrew Rainsford.
One should remember that Herrera's lot measured north to south 30 varas,
whereas the De'Hita and Gonzalez lots each measured fifteen. Fernandez
laid claim only to the De Hita property, hence Rocque's note that the Avero
house had "a portion of the neighboring lot Attached. By this time no
buildings stood on the site. Fernandez on at least one occasion planted tobacco
on it.#28 Moreover, by 1788 a lane running east from St. George Street to
the fort green had been cut through the north portion of the lot across the
former Gonzalez property. #29 An ephemeral feature, the lane had not ex-
isted during the British period,. and soon it was reincorporated into the lot. #30
Meanwhile, Luciano de Herrera remained the legal owner of the pro-
perty, and his title was eventually confirmed. Shortly before his death in
1788 he solicited permission to sell it to a recent arrival, Francisco Ruiz
del Canto, the Chief Superintendant of the Royal Works (Sobrestante mayor de
Reales Obras).#31 Ruiz del Canto was married to Francisca de Hita y Salazar,
a daughter of Geronimo and Juana, #32 and his wife probably encouraged him
to recover her family's former land. The sale took place, but Herrera died
~i~ 3 j,~;~
before drawing up a deed. #33 Instead of building on the lot, #34 Ruiz del Canto
cultivated fruit. At the time of his death in 1802, the lot measured 30 by 65
varas and contained eighteen orange and three fig trees. It was appraised at
289 pesas, 6 reales. #35
Ruiz del Canto's lack of a clear title called his ownership into question.
In 1798 Sebastian Oliveras, petitioning the governor to grant him a lot on which
to build a house, specifically requested one of the "three lots that are conti-
guous to the north of Don Juan Sanchez. He pointed out that no document had
appeared identifying them as Ruiz del Canto's property, nor had the Chief
Superintendent built anything on them.#36 To protect his title Ruiz del Canto
brought in three witnesses who testified that he indeed had acquired the pro-
perty legally and had possessed it continuously for ten or eleven years. The
administration accordingly confirmed his ownership. #37
During those same years the property just south of Ruiz del Canto's
lot was embroiled in litigation arising from Antonia de Avero's efforts to re-
cover it. The lengthy case was finally resolved in 1802, when Manuel de Castilla,
Captain of the Third Batallion of the Regiment of Cuba/and grandson-in-law of
Antonia de Avero.who held power of attorney for the Avero heirs, acquired
title. #38 On the very day Castilla took possession, the Avero lot was measured
and recorded as 15 varas north to south and 91 varas east to west. At
about the same time, Castilla purchased the adjacent lot from Francisco Antonio
Ruiz del Canto, son of the deceased superintendent. Again, however, no deed
was drawn up. "A natural oversight, Castilla later explained.
For several decades after 1802 the history of lot 4 thus merges with
that of the Avero property to the south. Manuel de Castilla and his wife Rafaela
Fernandez sold the property to First Sergeant Bias Crespo in January, 1804.
At that time the Avero house was in ruins (the deed referred to it only as "walls"),
but the lot presumably still bore its fruit trees. Crespo transferred the property
back to Castilla sometime in 1809 or 1810. In August, 1815, it was sold to
Josepha Montes de Oca, #43 who in turn sold it one year later to Isabel Rodriguez,
widow of Manuel Romero, the Treasury Superintendant (Sobrestante de Real
Hacienda).#45 Throughout these transfers, no building is mentioned except
the stone edifice still existent, which by 1816 had been repaired and roofed. #46
The lot measured 52 varas north to south, 91 east to west.#47 The area com-
prising the present lot 4 remained vacant.
The property continued in the hands of Romero's heirs until 1837. In
that year Joseph V. Romero and his sister Bibiana transferred it to John Carreras
for 1,020 dollars. There was still just one house on the site, and the lot's
dimensions had not changed. #48
Following John Carrera's death in 1857, his heirs divided the property,
and twelve years later full title to lot 4 was granted to Stephen Carreras and
his wife,'r eori Ca.11pala-. At that time the property measured 34 feet north
to south and 166 feet east to west, #49 or only about half the present north-south
dimension. It is uncertain whether any buildings stood on the site, since there
are no maps from this period that indicate structures. No reference to a house
appears in the deed, but that does not rule out the possibility.
Stephen Carreras and his wife lost little time in selling the property
to Rosalie L. Andrew,#50 in whose family the title remained from 1869 to 1884.
There is a strong likelihood that one or more buildings were erected under her
ownership. Rosalie's heirs in 1884 obtained nearly three times the amount
for the property that Rosalie had paid in 1869 ($2, 000 as opposed to $700),
and the 1870's and 80's were not a period of inflation. A photograph in the
files of the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, dated 1890 but more
likely mid-1870's,#51 shows a one-story, wood-frame building at the street
line just opposite the Salcedo house, about where the tabby pylons now stand.
From the heirs of Rosalie Andrew the property passed in 1884 to
Henry B Smith. #52 He and his wife held it for five years, then sold it to
Frances Anna Goodrich for 5, 000 dollars. The dimensions of the lot had
expanded by this time to 51 feet north to south, but had contracted one foot
along the east-west line to 165 feet. #53 Sometime during the 1880's or early
1890's a two-story frame dwelling was erected, for it appears on a Sanborn-
Perris map of 1893. #54 The house was still standing in 1910, #55 but about
1916 or 1917 disappeared and was replaced by a wood-frame, stuccoed building
housing the New Dixie Highway Hotel. #56 The hotel, described by one long-
time resident as a hang-out for "bums and prostitutes, occupied the site
until about 1950. #57 No other buildings succeeded it. In 1955 lot 4 was serving
as a parking lot. #58 It has remained vacant to this day.#59
In summary, since 1763 lot 4 has borne at least four buildings.
Geronimo de Hita's tabby house vanished about 1778, the lot remaining vacant
for many decades thereafter. For much of that time it was incorporated in
the property immediately south, and most likely it harbored a number of fruit
trees. Photographic and cartographic evidence reveals two late nineteenth
century structures, one and possibly both of them dwellings. For about thirty-
four years prior to 1950-51, the two-story, stuccoed Dixie Highway Hotel stood
on the site. Since the Dixie's demise, the lot has again been vacant.
1. Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente, "Plano de la Real Fuerza... de San
Agustin, etc., January 22, 1764, key translated by Albert C. Manucy.
2. Cathedral Parish Registers (henceforth cited as CPR), Baptisms, 1706,
p. 129. (Page numbers refer to photostats in the St. Augustine Historical
Society Library, henceforth cited as SAHS.)
3. Ibid., Baptisms, 1689-1705, p. 183.
4. Treasury officials to the Crown, January 13, 1746, Archivo General de
Indias (henceforth cited as AGI), 87-3-12/76, p. 33; Josef Antonio Gelabert
to the Crown, January 14, 1752, AGI, 87-1-14, p. 38v.
5. Josef Antonio Gelabert to the Crown, January 14, 1752, AGI, 87-1-14,
6. Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente to the Crown, May 8, 1770, AGI, 87-1-5/4-
5-6. Typescript in files of Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board
(henceforth cited as HSAPB), pp. 34, 44.
7. Ibid., pp. 38-44.
8. CPR, Baptisms, 1715, p. 210, and Marriages, 1736-1737, p. 149. See
also Charles W. Arnade, "The Avero Story: An Early Saint Augustine
Family with Many Daughters and Many Houses, Florida Historical
Quarterly, XXXX (July, 1961), pp. 5, 12.
9. CPR, Marriages, 1731-1735, p. 90. Juana is identified as "widow of the
pilot Simon de Morales" in CPR, Marriages, 1736-1737, p. 149.
10. Ibid., Burials, 1728-1735, p. 155.
11. There is no entry for Simon de Morales in the burial records for the
years 1731-36. He was probably lost at sea.
12. CPR, Baptisms, 1736, p. 372.
13. Ibid., 1739, p.41; 1742, p. 89; 1744, p. 149; 1748, p. 284. Charles
Arnade, "Avero Story, p. 5, claims that Geronimo and Juana had "six
accounted children. But only five appear in the baptismal registers,
and later testimony identified only the same five individuals. See "YncidentP
a los Autos de ocurrencia de Acrehedores, o concurso necesario causado
por fallecimto de Don Jesse Fish, solicitando Da Francisca de Hita y
Salazar como hija legitima de Don Geronimo de Hita, se le satisfagan
veinte y siete p? tres rr, (henceforth cited as "Yncidentes") East Florida
Papers (henceforth cited as EFP), Testamentary Proceedings, 1801,
Bundle 306Q15, No. 13, p. 5v. See below, note 14.
14. No entries for children of Geronimo de Hita and Juana de Avero were
found in the burial records from 1736 to 1763. See also "Yncidentes, "
EFP, Testamentary Proceedings, 1801 Bundle 306Q15, No. 13, p. 5v.
15. Elixio de la Puente, "Plano, block j, no. 325.
16. Arnade, "Avero Story, p. 12.
17. Robert L. Gold, Borderland Empires in Transition: The Triple Nation
Transfer of Florida (Carbondale and Edwardsville, Ill. : Southern Illinois
University Press, 1969), pp. 38-40.
18. Elixio de la Puente to the Marquess de la Torre, Governor of Cuba,
May 18, 1772, enclosure no. 3, AGI, 86-7-11, entries nos. 88 and 281.
19. Not until 1801 did their daughter Francisca claim the sum owed them by
the estate of the deceased Jesse Fish. "Yncidentes, EFP, Testamentary
Proceedings, 1801, Bundle 306Q15, no. 13.
20. Ibid., p. 2.
21. James Moncrief, "Map of St. Augustine, c. 1765.
22. William Gerard DeBrahm, DeBrahm's Report of the General Survey in
the Southern District of North America, edited and with an introduction
by Louis DeVorsey, Jr. (Columbia, S. C.: University of South Carolina
Press, 1971), p. 185. DeBrahm described Rainsford as a "saw miller,"
as having "left the province" and as being "in the army. "
23. "Yncidentes, EFP, Testamentary Proceedings, 1801, Bundle 306Q15,
No. 13, p. 2; "Accounts of Jesse Fish, 1763-1770, "EFP, Bundle 319,
nos. 11 & 74.
24. "Sebastian Oliveras denunciando como perteneciente al REY un Solar
que posehe Don Franco Ruiz del Canto y solicitando su concession para
favricar en el" (henceforth cited as "Sebastian Oliveras"), Field Note
Division (henceforth cited as FND), Bundle 319, No. 73, pp 7-8.
25. Eugenia B. Arana and Doris C. Wiles, "The Site of the Minorcan Chapel, "
El Escribano, No. 49/October, 1963), pp 5-6.
26. Mariano de la Rocque, "Plano particular de la Ciudad de Sn. Agustin
de la Florida, April 25, 1788, key translated by Eugenia B. Arana, no. 5.
27. Elixio de la Puente, "Plano, nos. 79 and 80.
28. According to the testimony of Mateo Guadarrama in 1798. See "Sebastian
Oliveras," FND, Bundle 319, No. 73, pp 13-13v.
29. Mariano de la Rocque, "Piano. "
30. "Sebastian Oliveras, FND, Bundle 319, No. 73, pp. 4-4v. On Pedro
Diaz Berrio, "Piano general de la Ciudad de Sn Agustin, en la Florida,"
c. 1791, the lane is no longer shown.
31. "Sebastian Oliveras, FND, Bundle 319, No. 73, p. 8.
32. Ibid., pp. 13-13v.
33. Ibid., p. 6.
34. Ibid., p. 15.
In light of this evidence and the fact that both the de la Rocque
and Diaz Berrio maps show the site as vacant, the reference
to the "house and lot" of Francisco Canto in the Quesada
inventory must be an error. See "Yventarios Tasaciones, y
venta en public Remate de las Casas y Solares del Rey, "
EFP, Assesor's Inventory, 1792-1806, Bundle 320, no.44.
35. "Ynventarios por fallecimiento de Dn Francisco Ruiz del Canto" (hence-
forth cited as "Ynventarios"), EFP, Testamentary Proceedings,. 1802,
Bundle 306Q15, No. 18, p. 10.
36. "Sebastian Oliveras, FND, Bundle 319, No. 73, p. 15.
37. Ibid., pp. 11-13v, 16v-17.
38. Arana and Wiles, "Minorcan Chapel, pp. 3, 9.
39. "Da Antonia de Avero sobre reasumir sus Casas y posesiones, con lo
demas que de los Autos consta, FND, Bundle 320, No. 19, p. 85.
40. EFP, Escrituras, 1815-1816, Bundle 380, p. 130.
41. St. Johns County Court, Escrituras, 1803-1804, Bundle 374, pp. 359-60.
42. EFP, Book or Register of City Lots, Bundle 409, p. 12.
(The Escrituras for 1809-10 are missing.)
43. EFP, Escrituras, 1815-1816, Bundle 380, p. 130.
44. Ibid., p. 358v.
45. "Ynventarios por fallecimiento de Dn Manuel Romero, EFP, Testa-
mentary Proceedings, 1816, Bundle 317Q4, No. 30, p.1.
46. Ibid., pp. 43-44v, contains an appraisal of the house.
47. EFP, Escrituras, 1815-1816, Bundle 380, p. 358v.
48. St. Johns County Public Records, Deed Records (henceforth cited as
DR), Book M, pp. 455-56.
49. Ibid., Book R, pp. 857-58.
50. Ibid., Book S, pp. 73-74.
51. File labeled "St. George St. at Cuna, looking N. E., 15553-3. "
52. DR, Book BB, p. 537.
53. Ibid., Boo% PP, p. 200.
54. At SAHS, in map drawer 18, "Insurance Maps. "
55. "Map of St. Augustine, March, 1910, Sanborn Map Co., SAHS, map
56. "Insurance Maps of St. Augustine, December, 1917, Sanborn Map Co.,
SAHS, map drawer 18.
57. The hotel is listed at 35 St. George St. in the R. L. Polk Co. St.
Augustine City Directory, 1949, Household Directory Section, p. 52.
In the Polk Directory for 1951, No. 35 is "vacant, (p. 417) indicating
that the building still stood even though the hotel was no longer in
business. In the 1953-54 Directory, the number 35 disappears alto-
gether (p. 496). The structure was probably razed between 1951 and 1953.
58. SAHS, Photograph File, "St. George Street (Cuna Street North to City
59. None of the Polk Directories after 1951 mention anything on the site.
:ii -; : I~ur
~ ,f t'..d. -.
Ia- ,. *~.
I I,, -..
.5*.*~. ....- *q *.. i'.-
r~. ... $I
.71 .1 ..r .
Chain of Title
The following is a partial chain of title to Lot 4, Block 7 in the City
of St. Augustine.
1763 Don Geronimo de Hita (lot size: 15 varas north-south, 71 varas
Source: Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente, Map and Key, no. 80
1764 Juan Joseph Elixio de la Puente, for Geronimo de Hita
Sale price: 25 pesos
Source: AGI 86-7-11, enclosure no. 3, item no. 281.
August 20, Jesse Fish, for Geronimo de Hita
Captain Rainford (Andrew Rainsford)
Sale price for "house and lot": 46 pesos, 2- reales
Source: Testamentary Proceedings, 306Q15, No. 13, p. 2
Sometime between August, 1777, and December, 1778, the lot
reverted to the Crown and was sold at public auction on the
twenty-first of the latter month and year.
December 21, Provost Marshal
Luciano de Herrera"
"...having north and south thirty Spanish yards and east and
west sixty-five Spanish yards. ..."
Sale price: 15 pounds sterling
Source: FND, 319, No. 73, p. 7
1788 Luciano de Herrera
Francisco Ruiz del Canto
Sale price:' unknown (no deed)
Source: FND, 319, No. 73, pp. 4, 6, and 8.
c. 1802 Francisco Antonio Ruiz del Canto (son of the
deceased Francisco Ruiz del Canto)
Manuel de Castilla
Sale price: unknown (no deed)
Source: Escrituras, 380, p. 130.
January 28, Manuel de Castilla and Rafaela Fernandez,
1804 his wife
Source: Escrituras, 374, pp. 359-60.
1809-10 Blas Crespo
Rafaela Fernandez de Castilla
Source: Book or Register of City Lots, p. 12.
(Deed is in missing bundle of the Escrituras.)
August 21, Manuel de Castilla /, ..L-, < .-
Property measures 52 varas north-south, 91 varas east-west
Source: Escrituras, 380, p. 130
August 16, Josefa Montesdeoca
Isabel Rodriguez de Romero
Sale price: 2, 500 pesos
Source: Escrituras, 380, p. 358v
March 10, Joseph V. Romero and Bibiana Romero
Sale price: 1,020 dollars
Source: DR, Book M, pp. 455-56.
June 21, Frances Carreras and others
(Quitclaim deed, division of the estate of John Carreras)
Lot measures 34 feet north-south, 166 feet east-west.
Source: DR, Book R, pp. 857-58.
September 6, Stephen Carreras and wife
Rosalie L. Andrew
Sale price: 700 dollars
Source: DR, Book 5, pp. 73-74.
April 4, Leonora Andrew and others, heirs of Mathias R. and
1884 Rosalie Andrew
Henry B. Smith
Sale price: 2,000 dollars
Source: DR, Book BB, p. 537.
Henry B. Smith and Clara C. Smith, his wife
Frances Anna Goodrich, wife of Edward M. Goodrich
Lot measures 51 feet north-south, 165 feet east-west.
Sale price: 5,000 dollars
Source: DR, Book PP, p. 200.
Edward M. Goodrich and James M. Smith as Trustee
under last will and testament of Frances A. Goodrich, deceased
Lot 4, Block 7
Sale price: 5,000 dollars
Source: DR, Book 21, p. 155.
Charles Cohen, a widower, and Gertrude Baer,
a married woman, joined by her husband and next
friend Max Baer: plaintiffs
Sophie Gerstel, a widow,; individually, and as
Administratrix of the estate of David Gerstel,
deceased: defendant L0+ 5
Suit for foreclosure of mortgage on part of-6-5-,
Block 7 and Lot 4, Block 7 (occupied by Dixie Highway Hotel)
Source: St. Johns County Public Records, Lis Pendens
Docket, Book 3, p. 524.
Aforesaid mortgage foreclosed. Court assumes
property for public sale.
Source: St. Johns County Public Records, Chancery
Order Book 15, p. 455.
Chas. C. Mathis, Jr., Special Master
Charles Cohen, a widower, and Gertrude Baer,
a married woman
(Special Master's deed: sale resulting from foreclosed
mortgage of Sophie Gerstel.)
Sale price: 4,000 dollars
Source: DR, Book 117, pp. 211-13.
Charles Cohen, widower, and Gertrude Baer
and husband M. D. Baer
Source: DR, Book 162, p. 381.
Lorraine Bauer Davis and her husband C. B. Davis
Frank D. Upchurch
Lot measures 67. 52 feet x 150 feet x 62. 75 feet x 150 feet.
Source: DR, Book 191, p. 88.
Frark D. Upchurch and his wife Esther D. Upchurch
Walter B. Fraser
Lease: 7, 200 dollars total rent for 15 years
Source: DR, Book 191, pp. 110-12.
Frank D. Upchurch and wife Esther D. Upchurch
Walter B. Fraser
Source: St. Johns County Public Records, Official Records
(henceforth OR), Book 84, p. 368.
Walter B. Fraser
Trebil, Inc., a Florida corporation
Source: OR, Book 94, p. 595.
Trebil, Inc., the mortgagor
Walter B. Fraser, mortgagee
Mortgage for 29,700 at 6%
Source: OR, Book 94, pp. 596-97.
St. Augustine Restoration, Inc.
Source: OR, Book 243, p. 764.