The Florencia House, a reconstructed shellstone (coquina)
building, was the residence of Pedro de Florencia in 1764.
Florencia, a merchant and slaveowner, came from a long line
of native St. Augustinians. In 1751, he married Maria Nieto
de Carvajal, a local woman from a prominent family, who bore him
a total of 7 children, 5 boys and 2 girls. His wife died pre-
maturely in 1761 at the age of 31, and when Spain ceded Florida
to England three years later, Florencia and his children left
St. Augustine for Havana. By 1770, Florencia had eventually
settled in the thriving Caribbean port city of Campeche, Mexico.
After Florencia's departure, his residence was purchased
by William Walton, a land speculator and a leading New York City
exporter. The building was demolished before 1788.