The Explorer. Page 17
Many Had Homes Like Gallegos House
The Gallegos House is a simple house
of the First Spanish Period in St. 4 ...
Augustine's history (1565-1763), the t "
type in which most average citizens
dwelt at the time. It was originally built N
in 1720, and is shown on a 1764 Spanish .1
map as a masonry residence belonging
to Juan Garcia Martinez Gallegos. A
later map, dated 1788, indicates a
timber-frame house owned by Lucia
Escalona had been built on the lot.
Authentic methods of construction
were used in re-creating the old Spanish .
colonial home on its original site as the
visitor sees it today. Oyster-shell "
concrete, known as "tabby" (a S i
corruption of the Spanish word
"Tapia"), common until 1763 but not .
employed thereafter, was used for
walls, floor and flat roof. The house has
only two rooms, cooking having been .
done on the porch or in the yard.
Casement windows are typically
Spanish, though in the original version
there were probably only wooden
shutters. No openings were made in the
north wall, to keep out wintry winds.
The door and loggia are on the south,;
entry from the street being through a
gateway into the patio as with similar .
houses in Spain. Garden, fruit trees,
and shed all lie within the walled area
for security and privacy, as does the 4 :. 6 ;
cypress-pole fence surrounding the
usual chicken yard; most citizens of the ..
old garrison town of necessity raised
much of their own food. M E
Late last summer the Gallegos House
and an adjacent structure were used in PARTICIPANT IN 'LIVING HISTORY' PROGRAM WASHES CIOHES IN GALLEGOS HOUSE COURTYARD
the "Living History" program jointly
sponsored by the Historical Preser- back in time in an attempt to recreate general existed much as families might building formerly served as the In-
vation Board and Flagler College. In living conditions of that period. have lived then, lasted for six weeks. formation Center for the area.
the project, six students (3 males and 3 The experiment, in which the par- Because of its proximity to the City- However, this duty, along with the
females) from Flagler and a female ticipants grew or caught their own food, Gates and the north end of the displays, have been transferred to the
chaperone took a step about 200 years amde and mended their clothes and in Restoration area, this reconstructed nearby and larger Ribera House.
GALLEGOS HOUSE STANDS AT NORTH END OF RESTORED AREA