Title: University of Florida historic campus
CITATION PDF VIEWER THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00090229/00001
 Material Information
Title: University of Florida historic campus
Physical Description: Archival
Language: English
Creator: Facilities Planning & Construction, University of Florida
Publisher: Facilities Planning & Construction, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00090229
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:

Historic%20brochure%202007 ( PDF )


Full Text


THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA


f


ibi

II'


Z 6~


UiL
*tjL
















The University of Florida

Historic Campus
The University of Florida Historic Campus
belongs not only to its community and alumni,but
to the universal heritage of institutions of higher
learning. In dramatic contrast to its opening in
1906 with two unfinished buildings and 102 stu-
dents, the University of Florida entered the 21st
century as one of the nation's largest public, land-
grant research institutions and one of the most
comprehensive universities in the United States,
encompassing virtually all recognized academic
and professional disciplines.Tracing its roots to a
parent institution founded in 1853, the University
of Florida marks 2003 as its sesquicentennial and
2006 as the Centennial of the Historic Campus.
The University of Florida was listed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1989.


The Early Campus:

1905-1925
University Architect:
William Augustus Edwards
The Florida Legislature in 1905 adopted
the Buckman Act that consolidated the system of
higher education and led to the establishment of
the University of Florida in Gainesville. The young
state of Florida was seeking an architectural im-
age for its flagship university that would compare
favorably with respected institutions. Architect
William Edwards presented a Collegiate Gothic
plan that fulfilled that association. Edwards would
design the buildings that formed the core of the
University mission, culminating in the Library and
the focal point University Auditorium.

















The Campus After the

Florida Boom 1926-1944
University Architect:
Rudolph Weaver
In 1925 the University named Rudolph
Weaver head of the new School of Architecture and
the second University Architect. Weaver's under-
standing of the importance of continuity was a
significant contribution to the campus image.
Construction was constrained by the collapse of
the Florida Boom and the stock market crash of
1929, but funding through government programs
promoted an increase in craftsmanship and art
in architecture. Dauer Hall, the Mucozo Tower of
Sledd Hall, and Leigh Hall illustrate this evolution
in tie .t llnmpu C llc:i.itc G. L11th


Post-World War II

Campus 1944-1956
University Architect:
Guy Chandler Fulton
Guy Fulton,who succeeded RudolphWeaver
as UniversityArchitect, directed a dramatic period
of growth as Veterans supported by the GI Bill
flooded the campus and the University of Florida
became coeducational.The surge from 600 stu-
dents during wartime to 10,000 in 1948 de-
manded new space for administration, student
services, classrooms and housing. Remarkably,
Fulton inaugurated an era of campus architecture
that was compatible yet transitional to the new
modern ideals.The foundation was established for
the cohesiveness and harmony that characterize
the campus today


ply-



































































THE EARLY CAMPUS: 1905-1925
For the opening in Fall Semester of 1906, Thomas (1) AndBuckman (2)
Halls served all university functions including classrooms, dormitories, dining
hall, and administration. The restrained gothic details of these buildings feature
a motif above the entries known as the "anguished scholar." Between Buckman
and Thomas, the addition of Sledd Hall (3) in 1929 and the north extension
of Fletcher Hall (4) in 1939 created courtyards that feature shaded walks and
details ranging from students and officials to sea life and snails. The Mucozo Tower
courtyard entrance features sculpture that depicts the friendship of 16th century
Spanish explorer Juan Ortiz with Timucua Chief Mucozo. Murphree Hall (5)
completed the complex in 1939. In 2004 the Yardley Courtyard Fountain marked
the south entrance to the dormitory complex.
Athletic and military drill fields
were considered fromthe earliestplan
for the land grant university. The team
name "Gators" may have originated
as early as 1907 and became official
in 1911. Funding to complete the
Gymnasium (6) was secured
when the New York Giants accepted
an invitation to hold their spring
training on campus. The building has Gymnasium
been adapted for a gender studies
center as Kathryn Chicone Ustler Hall. The Florida Pool (7) was completed
in 1929 and construction began on Florida Field (8) in the area designated
for athletics in the original plan. The stadium was built into a natural depression
and the upper seats were at ground level. After completion of the Florida
Gymnasium (9) in 1949 the 1919 Gymnasium became the Women's Gym to
house women's athletic programs for the newly coeducational university.

Built as the Florida Experiment Station in 1910, Newell Hall (10) repre-
sented the close link between the academic mission of the University and agricultural
services to the state. Experiment fields were laid out on adjacent grounds and
students got hands-on research experience. Griffin- FloydHall (1 1) opened
as the College of Agriculture in 1912. Reliefs of cornucopia symbolize the bounty
of the state's agricultural resources. A stock judging arena and farm machinery
roomwere adjacentto administrative offices and classrooms. Griffin- Floyd Hallwas
restored in 1992 with the support of Ben Hill Griffin, Jr. The growing importance of
the agricultural programs was reflected in the design of the Horticulture Building,
nowRolfs Hall (12). Completed in 1927, the building housed classrooms as
well as the Agricultural Extension Service and the State Plant Board.


Keene-Flint Hall (13)
was built as Science Hall in 1910
to accommodate the sciences and
the University Museum. In 2002,
the building was rehabilitated, the


THE UNIVERSITY


William Edwards and expanded by Rudolph Weaver, the building incorporates an
extension by Guy Fulton after World War II that is both compatible and a statement
of its own time with plaques in Moderne detail. This concept of compatibility
continues with the adjacent Gerson Hall completed in 2004. The College of Law is
now located west of the campus; a Native-American mound near the Holland Law
Center is noted by a historical marker, and archaeologists have found evidence of
Pre-Columbian settlements on the shores of Lake Alice.
A major gift from the Peabody Foundation funded the George Peabody College
for Teachers in 1913. The College of Education moved to new quarters in Norman
Hall in 1934. Once the site for printing of the Florida Alligator newspaper, Pea-
body Hall (1 6) was renovated in 1990 as part of the Criser Center for Student
Services. At the focal point of the courtyard framed by Peabody, Criser Hall, and
the Library is a sculpture depicting President Albert Murphree, created in 1946 by
Paul Manship, sculptor of the Prometheus at Rockefeller Center.
Smathers Library East (17), designed as a part of the Edwards plan and
completed in 1926, represented commitment to collection of the scholarly materi-
als which are the foundation of a university. The southwest portico of the Library,
designed by Rudolph Weaver, and the present entry foyer, designed by Guy Fulton,
continue the tradition of compatible evolution. The original reading room now
houses University Archives, as well as the 1954 mural "The History of Learning in
Florida" by University art professor Hollis Holbrook.

The University Memorial Auditorium (18) is the centerpiece of the
campus with spire, pointed arch windows, vaulted timber ceiling with academic
gargoyle busts at the ends of hammerbeam trusses. For many years assemblies
and commencement ceremonies were held here, and audiences still enjoy musical
and dramatic performances. An
administrative tower and wings
had been planned, but funds
ran out and the temporary north
stair was only replaced in the
1976 restoration when the new
north wing provided a compat-
ible architectural completion of


FLORIDA


The 1948 expansion continued this concept. The Mechanical Engineering Build-
ing, now Walker Hall (21) and home of the Department of Mathematics, was
builtin 1927 adjacent to the 1924
Benton Hall College of Engineer-
ing, which was demolished when
Grinter Hall was built in 1969.


Station WRUF, chartered in
the 1920's as the "Voice of the
University of Florida," was one
of the country's most powerful
college radio stations. Famed
sportscaster Red Barber began
his career by broadcasting UF
sports events for this station. The
Tudor Revival studio was designed
is compatible with the camus and
In the 1950's WlRU moved to new
the headquarters of the U1niersii
The nfirmary (23) was d(
on either side, adapting the Collegi
of the students. Whimsical figure
entrances. When the University Of
resident physician, as well as profit
his office or their rooms until 191
the fourth floor of Thomas Hall doi
until 1920. Norman Hall (24)
School, a K-12 center for practice
serves the College of Education. Tl
Institute for the College of Fine At
of Dauer Hall (25), was corll
headed by orator William Jenning
YMCA, which was active in creating
the Lake Wauberg facility. The Uni
Old HForida" until completion of tl
Tudor chimney and bay window wi
stained gass. The Keene Faculty Ci
and provides a reading room for fa
son Hall Commons and Rathskelle
Science Bilding (26) was I
camoms bv nlanted fields. Reflect


timber and plaster. This variation
o the small scale of the building.
the building has since then been
bartment (22).
I as a central pavilion with wings
ie medical and health care needs
medical themes enliven the main
SEdward Rawson Flint served as
isry. Dr. Flint treated patients in
)ed infirmary was established on
ent nurse Mary McRobbie served
934 as the P.K. Yonge Laboratory
educational innovation, and now
n now houses the Digital Worlds
a Union, the present south wing
SThe funding drive was spear-
or contributions came from the
ns nationwide and also founded
student center for the boys from
.Significant features include a
and Florida region sbols in
st wing now hosts small lectures


THE POST-WORLD WAR II CAMPUS
1944-1956
Enrollment exploded to
10,000 in 1948 and the need
for an Administration Building
was urgent. Completed in 1951,
TigertHall (28) launched a
new era in campus architecture
that was both progressive and
compatible with its Collegiate
Gothic context. The University
Seal in the grid of the tower en-
Tigertieall
trance and plaques representing
the University's colleges identify
the seat of the University Administration. The newly coeducational University
opened Mallory/Yulee/Reid (29) as its first permanent women dormitories
in 1950, with such features as sewing rooms, hairdressing rooms and separate
dining facilities from the men on campus. The distance between the Tolbert (30)
men's dormitories and these halls sparked a 1952 panty raid that caught national
attention. Broward Hall (31) reflects the angled footprint, breezeways, and
corrugated glass block stairwell features of the women's dormitories. Brick and
clay tile preserve campus continuity, while a wide fascia at the eaves and modified
classical portico offer a prelude to post-modernism.
McCarty Hall (32) consists of a series of four structures designed for the
College of Agriculture in 1956 by University architect Guy Fulton. This building
complex built upon the commitment of the land-grant university to agricultural
studies and services to the state. These buildings served the dramatic growth of
that tradition after the founding of the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
in 1964. The four red brick and concrete structures reflect the Fulton emphasis
on climate, cost effective construction, and compatibility.
The Student Services Center, dedicated on November 3, 1950, was renamed
theHub (33) by students as a result of a campus-wide contest. The Hub reflects
international modern influences, while scale and materials remain compatible
with the campus. The curves of the walkway and the circular original post office
reflect in curved terrazzo in the former central dining space and curved glass of
the former bookstore. The pink marble stair leads to the original ballroom with
wood dance floor. In 2007, the Hub received a compatible rehabilitation to house
the International Center and Office of Academic Technology. Tracing its roots to a
parent institution founded in 1853, the University of Florida marked its centennial
in 1953 by dedicating the Century Tower (34) to alumni lost in the World
Wars. From the Tower, the sound of the quarter hour tolls and the music of the
61 bronze bell carillons project across the campus. Opened in 1953 to serve the
College of Business Administration, Matherly Hall (35) is representative of
the skillful integration of modified collegiate gothic details in the more massive
campus buildings of the Post-War era. CarltonAuditorium (36) was designed
in 1954 to accommodate the growing student population. BehindWalker Hall, the
























A.. O S*S S 5

- S I S ha enfne npr ihhstori
n asitac prvie by th ueuofHsoi
itrclRsorekrdDpatntf State
% Hoevr th cotn an opnosd nt*c
Partment ofSae o os temnino rd







Prfsso Susa Tae AIA


Wdlai Qahih Ph.. Stdn
Hitoi Preservaton Progra s
of~ teVcPrsidn.o uins far
ties~~~~~~~~ PannanCostuioDvson

Lid B. ixoAC




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs