Title: Financial aid news
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00087108/00012
 Material Information
Title: Financial aid news
Series Title: Financial aid news
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Publisher: University of Florida Office for Student Financial Affairs
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: Fall 2002
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00087108
Volume ID: VID00012
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

fall02 ( PDF )

Full Text

U n i r i t o f F Io rid a d

,e fo r S t u d e n t F

k Fall 2002

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Available:

student jobs can help pay monthly bills

f you need help paying monthly bills, you
may be in luck. Federal Work Study (FWS)
jobs for 2002-03 are still available. Studentjobs
are a great way to budget your money, gain
valuable work experience, and, for some, to
reduce the need for loans. More than 200 jobs
are currently listed on Student Financial Affairs'
(SFA) Online Job List through several work
Student jobs pay at least minimum wage,
but usually more. Students usually work 10-20
hours per week, depending upon the time they
have available and the needs of the employers,
and are paid every two weeks. To work on
campus, students must have a 2.0 grade point
average and be enrolled at least half time.
Student jobs, coordinated by Student
Financial Affairs' (SFA) Student Employment
section, are available throughout the year.
Student Employment helps students find jobs
through the FWS program, Other Personnel
Services (OPS) Jobs, and Off Campus Jobs,
maintaining up to date job lists and providing
students with UF Work Permits.
FWS and its Federal Community Service
component are awarded as part of a student's
financial aid package. To qualify, in addition to
meeting the eligibility requirements listed
above, students must demonstrate financial
Interested students should check with a
financial aid adviser in S-107 Criser Hall to see
if they qualify for FWS. To apply, students must
complete a Free Application for Federal Student
Aid (FAFSA).
If you do not qualify for Federal Work-Study
but think a job is right for you, all is not lost.

Student Employment Job Boards
SFAmaintains lists of FWS, OPS, and Off
Campus Jobs on job boards outside SFAand at
other campus locations. The SFAjob board is
updated daily. Others are updated twice weekly.
Job boards are located:
* Outside the SFALobby in the Criser Complex
* J. Wayne Reitz Union (Rooms G 1 and 305)
* Norman Hall (first floor, NW end)
* Health Science Center (near Credit Union)

You can apply at any time during the year for
OPS or Off Campus Jobs.

Federal Community Service
(FCS) Component of FWS
Did you know that, in addition to campus
jobs, the FWS program also offers the
opportunity to work off campus in community
service positions? Federal Community Service
employers must be nonprofit or government
agencies that perform work in the public
Work-Study students often can find FCS
positions that directly relate to their career
objectives. For many, FCS jobs enhance what
they are learning in the classroom. If this
appeals to you, check the online job board and
look under "Federal Community Service."
New organizations are added each semester, so
check back. If you have an FWS award, one of
these jobs might be for you! Consider these
currently participating organizations:
ACORN Clinic, Border Collie Rescue, Inc.,
Boys and Girls Club, Gainesville Police
Department, Matheson Museum, National
Center for Construction Education and
Research, United Way, YMCA, America
Reads, Baby Gator, Girls Club, City of
Gainesville, Morningside Nature Center,
North Central Florida Health Planning
Council, Shands Hospital Legal Services.

You Can Become an "America
Reads" Tutor through FWS
America Reads is an exciting FWS option
through which students learn to work as tutors
to help children improve their reading skills. At
UF, FWS students tutor elementary school
children in county schools. If you are interested
and have been awarded financial aid, whether
or not you have a Federal Work-Study award,
check with your financial aid adviser in Criser
Hall about eligibility for FWS, and with Jennifer
Tragash, Program Coordinator, 111 Norman
Hall, (352) 392-0728, College of Education, for
See p. 2, Federal Work Study, continued

n a nc a I f fai r s
02-03, volume 1

OCTOBER 17, 2002
Fall 2002 Federal Direct Loans
Application Deadline
NOVEMBER 16, 2002
Fall 2002 Deferred Fee
Payment Deadline
DECEMBER 1, 2002
Fall 2002 Short-Term Loan
Repayment Deadline

Begin to watch the mail for
your 2003-04 Renewal FAFSA
from the Federal Processor

JANUARY 1, 2002
Apply now for financial aid for
the 2003-04 Academic Year


5 Steps to Finding a UF
Student Job
At the Desk: Frequently
Asked Questions
2002-03 Direct Loan Interest
SFA Forms on the Web!
FAFSA on the W4b-
You Can Still Apply
New College of Law Aid
Florida Bright Futures Info
Watch the Mail for Your
Renewal FAFSA
3 Steps to Get Your Federal
Direct Stafford Loan
Financial Aid Q & A
-What is a Transient Student
-Financial Aid &
Correspondence Courses
GRE Fee Waivers
SFA Tips/Web Wallet Card

S H el p n g Students Be Successful

D i v i s i o n o f S t ude n t A f f a ir s

Five Steps to Fine

Student Job
1. Start Early in the semester. Jobs are
available throughout the year, but the best
time to find one is at the beginning of
2. Check the Campus Job Boards on our
web site at www.sfa.ufl.edu/job.html .
When Student Employment receives a job
listing, they add it to the job boards around
campus and on the Web. The job lists
include pertinent information such as job
descriptions, experience required, contact
people, and phone numbers.
3. Check at Specific Departments. Also
check for open positions in your
department or other areas that especially
interest you (e.g., libraries, Har Museum).
4. Call for an Interview. After checking the
job list for positions that interest you, call
the contact person for an interview.

ling a UF

5. Get a UF Work l
Permit. All UF
students are
required to have a L
Work Permit to work
campus, whether at
an FWS or an OPS
job. For FWS
students, the work permit indicates the
number of hours you are authorized to
work during the semester. Students
awarded FWS for fall semester are mailed a
work permit during the summer.
If you don't get a work permit by mail,
you must get one from Student
Employment in S-107 Criser Hall (be sure
to bring a picture ID!). You can also call
(352) 392-0296 to request a work permit by
phone. You must bring your UF Work
Permit to all interviews.

AT the Desk frequently asked questions

What is the Difference Between "Subsidized"
and "Unsubsidized" Federal Stafford Loans?
Federal Direct Stafford Loans are either
"subsidized" or "unsubsidized." A
subsidized loan is awarded based on
financial need. The subsidy is in the form of
your not being charged interest on your loan
before you begin repayment or during
authorized periods of deferment. The federal
government "subsidizes" the interest during
these periods.
"Unsubsidized" loans are not awarded
based on financial need, but please note that
to be eligible you must first apply for need
based aid (Federal Direct Student Loans and
Federal Pell Grant). You are charged interest
from the time your loan is disbursed until it
is paid in full. If you allow the interest to
accumulate (i.e. do not pay interest
payments while you are in school), it is
"capitalized"-that is, the interest is added
to the principal amount of your loan and
additional interest is based upon the higher
amount. This will increase the amount you
have to repay. If you choose to pay the

interest as it accumulates, you'll repay less in
the long run.
In some cases you can receive a
subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan
for the same enrollment period.
Independent students who have borrowed
up to subsidized loan program limits can
borrow through the unsubsidized program.
Dependent students can only borrow an
unsubsidized loan if they have not
borrowed up to the yearly maximum
allowed through the subsidized program
according to their classification and college.
If you are ineligible for a subsidized loan,
you can apply for an unsubsidized loan,
either up to your cost of education less other
aid, or up to subsidized program limits,
whichever is less.
For subsidized and unsubsidized
program limits, and information on
deferments, consult your Gator Aid
Application Guide or the SFAWeb site under


Financial Affairs
Federal Work-Study, Continued www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/
information on participating. FWS student
tutors receive paid training, and prior ISIS
tutorial experience is not required. It is, www.isis.ufl.edu/
however, very important that the FWS
reading tutors have adequate reading skills.
Flexible hours are available.

2002-03 Direct
Loan Interest Rates
Interest rates for new loans
disbursed on or after July 1, 2002:
Stafford Loans 3.46%
PLUS Loans 4.86%

on the Web
SFAs Web site provides
printable forms needed to
complete the application process.
Examples are Federal Direct PLUS
Loan applications and Additional
Aid Reporting Forms. Check with
your aid adviser before printing
verification forms. Go to:

n'I r ,-t

You Can Still Apply!
Financial aid is still available
Apply online using FAFSA on
the Web to take advantage of faster
application time and instant
editing of your application! You
will need your federal PIN.
Complete instructions are provided
on the FAFSA on the Web site at the
following web address:

UF Federal School Code:

New College of
Law Adviser
Meet Randy Patton!
The College of Law recently welcomed
Randy Patton, Financial Aid
Coordinator, to its staff when Trish
Varnes who held the position since it
was created in 1993 left to become a
full-time mom.Law students can visit
the Law School Aid Office in 164
Holland Hall for information on
financial aid application, from
completing the forms to disbursements.
Walk-in hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.,
Monday Friday.

Financial Aid NEWS
Fall 2002

Florida Bright Futures
-I'_'i.'_'-. Iu. Brj ir-i-it Futures If you misplace your SYSTEM ID and PIN
Award Eli ity O e number, contact the state toll-free number
Award Eligibility Online (1 888-827-2004). Replacement numbers
Every high school student or renewal will be mailed to you.
student receives a Florida Bright Futures
award letter or ineligibility letter from the State of Florida Programs
State of Florida. To view your eligibility Academic P ess Appeals
status, you can access your record on the
Web using the System ID and PIN number Florida law provides an appeal process for
provided in the letter sent to you by the those who do not meet academic progress
state. Access the FBFS site at: requirements for renewal of state student
www.firn.edu/doe/brfutures/ aid. The law allows exceptions when
renewstu.htm students fall below the minimum grade
Using your SYSTEM ID and PIN you point average and/or credit hours earned
can update demographic information for a state award under the following two
such as: name, address, date of birth, circumstances: illness or emergency
gender, Social Security Number, phone Appeal forms Appeal for Reinstatement of
number, and e-mail address. You can also State of Florida Programs-are available from
change your post-secondary institution SFA and on the SFA Web site at
(UF's institutional code is 011). www. ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/pu b/forms/
You can also view eligible hours 0203/pdf/index.html
remaining for both the academic year and SFA recommends that appeals should be
entire scholarship, correspondence turned in within 30 days of the date you
history, and current year disbursement receive a Notice of Ineligibility from the State
info (hours and dollars disbursed). of Florida.

Financial Aid Academic Progress Policy
Federal regulations require UF to review the S-107 Criser Hall and our Web site.
academic progress of all federal student aid Postbaccalaureates must petition to receive
recipients. SFAnotifies students who do not financial aid. Students receiving financial
meet the required standards of academic aid should read UF's Financial Aid
progress each semester after grades are Academic Progress Policy, printed in the
posted, including students on warning and Undergraduate Catalog, SFA's Gator Aid
probation. Students may appeal the denial Handbook, and on our Web site.
of financial aid. Petitions are available from

Watch the Mail
for your Renewal FAFSA
Students who applied for financial aid
last year using a paper FAFSA should
receive a "2003-2004 Renewal FAFSA"
from the U.S. Department of Education
between late November and mid January.
Please put it in a safe place to use after
January 1, 2003. Renewal FAFSAs are pre
printed with your information for certain
data items (e.g., name, address, Social
Security No.) and prompt you to write in
your answers for the new year.
Please Note: eligible applicants who
used the Internet to submit a FAFSA or
corrections last year, AND/OR who are
graduate students, will receive a federal
PIN by mail INSTEADOF a paper
Renewal FAFSA, so they can use FAFSAon
the Web for 2003-04.
If you don't receive a Renewal
Application by the end of January, don't
wait! File electronically or using a regular
FAFSA immediately.

3 Steps To Get Your Direct
Stafford Loan
1. Complete the Direct Loan
Confirmation Process on ISIS
Students awarded Federal Direct Stafford
Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) must
confirm that they want to receive their
loans before the loans can be disbursed.
Students can confirm, reduce, or cancel
their loans on the loan confirmation site
on ISIS at: www.isis.ufl.edu/. Select
"Financial Information."
2. Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is also
available on ISIS under "Financial
3. Complete an Online Federal Master
Promissory Note
The Federal Department of Education
provides an online Master Promissory Note
(MPN) for all new Stafford Loan
borrowers and students who do not yet
have one on file. The Federal Electronic
Promissory Note Web site is at:

The Florida Department of
Education (FDEP) provides up-to-date
information about Florida Bright
Futures renewal requirements,
reinstatements, appeals, distribution of
funds and other topics on their Web site
at: www.firn.edu/doe/.
Or, send questions by e-mail to:
Or, contact FDEP, 1940 N. Monroe St.,
Suite 70, Tallahassee, FL 32303-4759


What is a "transient student?"
Transient students are UF students who
elect to attend another school in the State
University System for one term. Financial
aid awarded at UF is processed here and
sent directly to the student, or to the parent
if a PLUSloan. To receive aid as a transient
student, you must (1) be enrolled at least
half time solely at an SUSmember school
(not dually enrolled at UFand another
institution) and (2) provide a completed
signed copy of a Transient Form to Student
Financial Affairs by the following deadlines:
fall term, August 1; spring term, December
1; summer term, April 1. See your financial
aid adviser for more information!

Can I get financial aid for
correspondence courses?
Federal regulations allow correspondence
work taken in addition to regular
coursework to be included in determining
your enrollment status under the
following conditions:
* the class must apply toward your
* the class must be enrolled for and
completed in the semester in which the
hours are used to increase your
enrollment status for financial aid
*the total hours cannot be more than
the number of hours you are enrolled
for through regular registration.
* for Pell Grant and state financial
programs, you must provide proof of
enrollment before the end of the
drop/add period.
See your financial aid adviser for more

Financial Aid NEWS
Fall 2002


Office for Student Financial Affairs
S-107 Criser Hall, P. O. Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611-4025
(352) 392-1275

Financial Aid NEWS is produced once a
semester by the Office for Student Financial
Affairs Information/Publication Services
section to inform students about financial aid
programs and services that help UF students
meet educational costs.
Director: Karen Fooks
Editor: Susan Mickelberry

Financial Aid NEWS is available in other
formats for students with documented, print
related disabilities. Contact Student Financial
Affairs' telephone line for students with
disabilities: (352) 392-1272 (V/TDD); Florida
Relay Service: 1 (800) 392-3008 (TDD).
Online at: www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/

The University of Florida is committed to
equal treatment of students without regard
to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed,
marital status, national origin, disability, or
veteran status.

Non-Profit Org.
U.S. Postage
Gainesville, FL

GRE Fee Waivers
UF and the Educational Testing Service of
Princeton, NJ, offer a waiver of fees for taking the
Graduate Record Examination (GRE). GRE fee
waivers are available (once only) to financial aid
recipients who are seniors who meet all fee waiver
eligibility requirements. Waivers can be used for
both the General and Subject GRE tests. GRE fee
waivers are given out on a first-come, first-serve
basis at S-107 Criser Hall.

The U. S. government has created a student web
site. At www.students.gov you can: apply for
federal student aid, register to vote, e-file taxes, get
a passport or a driver's license, register for the
Selective Service, and more. Students.gov also
provides you an Access America Student Account,
an automated system that provides a simple,
accurate way for students to access up-to-date
information about their federal financial aid via the
internet or phone.

Clip for your Wallet

'1 .6- S CS


S I 1 ts- s1
Vs 0:, o2, ol-


L ---^ -"--------^-'----.

Satellite Aid Offices Main Office: Student Financial Affairs S-107 Criser Hall P. O. Box 114025 Gainesville, FL 32611-4025 (352) 392-1275
College of Dentistry College of Law College of Medicine Health Professions, Masters in Business
Tom Kolb Randy Patton Eileen Parris Nursing, Pharmacy, & Administration (MBA)
Dental Tower, D3-#17A 164 Holland Hall M-128 Health Sciences Veterinary Medicine Bill Watson
Mike Menefee
Health Sciences Center (352) 392-0421 Center CG 96 Health Sciences P-102-I Peabody Hall
(352) 846-1384 (352) 392-7800 Center (353) 392-1275 (ext.3386)
(352) 392-6631

4 Financial Aid NEWS
Fall 2002

U.S. Department of Education
Federal Student Aid Programs
1 (800) 433-3243
1 (800) 730-8913 (TDD)
Federal Direct Loan Services
1 (800) 557-7394
Florida Dept. of Education
Office of Student Financial Assistance
(Florida Bright Futures/State Programs)
1940 N. Monroe Street, Suite 70
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4759
1 (888) 827-2004 toll free

UF TeleGator
(352) 37GATOR (374-2867)

Automated financial aid file info
(352) 846-1183

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs