Title: Financial aid news
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00087108/00010
 Material Information
Title: Financial aid news
Series Title: Financial aid news
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Publisher: University of Florida Office for Student Financial Affairs
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: Spring 2002
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00087108
Volume ID: VID00010
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

spr02 ( PDF )

Full Text

U n i er I Fl rid f c fr f i' I u d e n I F i n a n .: i a I r
Spring 2002 01-02, volume 2

Apply Now for

t's time to start thinking about how you will
pay for school next fall! Don't come up short
and cause yourself unnecessary stress. If you
need financial aid to attend the University of
Florida (UF) next year, apply by early February
to meet the on-time application deadline
March 15, 2002.

Why Should You Apply by the
"On-Time" Deadline?
Application files that become complete after
March 15th are awarded after on-time financial
aid applicants have been awarded, which means
you may not get some desirable aid for which
you might have qualified. For your application to
be considered "on-time," the Office for Student
Financial Affairs (SFA) must receive your paper
or electronic FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA results, with
a calculated Estimated Family Contribution, from
the federal processor by March 15. Students who
apply after the deadline will be awarded funds
that remain available.

50% of UF Students
Apply Online
Try FAFSA on the Web
SFA encourages students to apply online
using FAFSA on the Web, available from the
Federal Department of Education. Almost fifty
percent of UF aid applicants applied online to
date in 2001-02. Why?Applying online is
usually faster, and the application has built-in
edits that reduce application errors. AND, if
you already have your Federal PIN (electronic
signature), you can eliminate paperwork!
* Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Follow
the instructions on the site.
* Sign your application with your electronic
signature; or, print and mail your signature
* Use the "FAFSA Follow-Up" feature to keep
track of your application.
* Stop by the SFA Resource Center in S-107
Criser Hall if you need assistance!

Funds for Summer Florida
Bright Futures Awards!

No Florida Bright Futures Scholarship
Program funds will be available for
summer term 2002. The Florida Legislature,
in a Special Session this fall, cut Florida
Bright Futures Scholarship funds by
$11,900,000. This budget reduction leaves
only enough funding to pay projected fall
2001 and spring 2002 award disbursements.
Students planning to attend summer
term 2002 who will need financial assistance
may be eligible for federal loan funds if they
have not already reached their annual loan
limits. To see if you qualify, check with a
financial aid adviser in S-107 Criser Hall.
For more information on the cutbacks,
students should consult the Bright Futures
web site at: www.firn.edu/doe/brfutures .

'02-'03 Help Sessions
Financial aid "Application Help Sessions"
will be held at the J. Wayne Reitz Union,
as follows: January 25 and February 4 at 2:00
p.m., Room 287 JWRU; and February 13th at
2:00 p.m., Room 285 JWRU. Learn the latest
information for the upcoming academic year.
Workshops are free and open to the public.

FAFSA on the Web
Site Addresses Change
Use: www.fafsa.ed.gov/
FAFSA on the Web-the federal web site used
to apply for financial aid online-has recently
been redesigned. As a result, several web
addresses provided in our 2002-03 Gator Aid
Application Guide are no longer accurate. The
changes may also affect your "Bookmarks"
on Netscape Navigatoror your "Favorites"
on Internet Explorer. To reach FAFSA on the
Web, or any of it's features, simply go to
www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and choose the feature
you wish to use.

D i s i o n of S Li d e nt .. f f a i r s H helping Students

JANUARY 1,2002
First day to apply for
financial aid for 2002 03.
Applications available at
S-107 Criser Hall.
MARCH 1, 2002
Deadline to apply for
Spring 2002 Federal Direct
Loans. We must receive
your 2001 02
analysis and other
documents required to
complete your aid file.
MARCH 15, 2002
"On-Time" UF 2002-03
Financial Aid Application
Deadline. We must receive
your 2002-03 FAFSA/
Renewal FAFSA results with
a calculated "Estimated
Family Contribution" from
the federal processor.
APRIL 15, 2002
Deadline to apply for
Summer 2002 Federal
Direct Loans. We must
receive your 2001 02
analysis and other
documents required to
complete your aid file.


After You Apply
The Latest Online Info
Factors that May Affect Your
Aid ANard
Plan Now for Summer
What if My Circumstances
Financial Aid Q & A
Addresses/Phone Numbers
What is "America Reads?"
Financial Aid & the IRS
SFA Tips/Web Site Card

Be S u cc e s sf u

Track Your Applica
After you complete your FAFSA, check
the status of your UF financial aid
application regularly. You have three
ways to do this:(1) use ISISon the UF
web site; (2) call SFATIPS, our automated
financial aid line, at (352) 846-1183; or
(3) call us at (352) 392-1275.
After you apply, you will receive the
following responses from us and other
1. Federal Student Aid Report (SAR)
The federal processor will send you an
SAR a few weeks after receiving your
FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA. The SAR
indicates your "Expected Family
Contribution," which is used to
determine your eligibility or ineligibility
for aid. Follow the instructions on the
SAR when you receive it.
If you don't receive an SAR, or if you
need to make changes on information
you listed on the FAFSA, you can do this
online by going to www.fafsa.ed.gov/ .
You will need to use your federal PIN to

More Application
Update Your Address With the Feds!
Keeping your address up to date with the
federal processor is important. They use it
to mail Student Aid Reports, electronic
PINs, and other financial aid information.
The U. S. Department of Education does
not permit PINS to be forwarded. You can
change your address: (1) online at
www.fafsa.ed.gov/ (2) by using your
Federal Student Aid Report (SAR), (3) by
calling 1-800-433-3243, or (4) by writing to
Federal Processor, P. O. Box 4021, Iowa
City, IA 52243.
Apply Accurately and Read the
Instructions. Incorrectly completing the
FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA can delay your aid.
Enter your Social Security number
CORRECTLY to get financial aid on
Photocopy Your Application and
IRS Forms and Save All W-2s. If we ask
you for copies of tax forms for
verification, it can take you six weeks to
get copies from the IRS.
Keep a Financial Aid File. Include:
SPhotocopies of your federal income tax
return and W-2s.

2 Financial Aid NEWS
Spring 2002

tion Status
check your application status with the
federal processor.
2. Verification
Your application may be selected for
"verification," the federally required
process of checking accuracy of
information students supply on aid
applications. If selected, you are required
to provide documentation before your aid
can be disbursed, so reply quickly to
requests. Don't wait until fall to respond.
3. Notification of Aid Award
When UFreceives your FAFSA
information from the federal processor
and you have been admitted to UF, if you
are eligible for aid, SFAwill award you
an aid package based on your
demonstrated need. We will mail you a
Notification of Financial Aid Award stating
the terms and conditions of aid programs
awarded to you. If your aid file is
complete by the March 15th "on-time"
application deadline, you can expect this
by late spring.

Tips Financial Affairs
Photocopy www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/
or printout Get financial aid
of your information!
Your Federal Student Aid Report.
Photocopies of forms or information
used to complete your aid application
and correspondence with aid agencies.
Borrower copy of promissory notes.
Your Gator Aid Application Guide and
FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA instruction
Ask Questions. For questions about
applying or help completing the FAFSA,
call us at (352) 392-1275, or call the federal
processor: 1 (800) 433-3243/(319) 337-5665;
or come by our office at S-107 Criser Hall.
Follow Up! See "Track Your
Application Status" above.
Attend a Help Session. See "'02 '03
Help Sessions" on page 1.
Use the SFAResource Center in
S-107 Criser Hall. Center staff help
students research and apply for financial
aid, including scholarships and part-time
jobs. The Center is open from 8:00 a.m.
4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Online Info

Your Federal PIN, Again
If you apply online, you will need a
Federal PIN to sign your FAFSA if you
apply using FAFSA on the Web. Parents of
dependent students who apply online
must either request their own PIN or
print, sign, and mail the signature page to
the processor. Federal PINs are also
needed to check the status of your FAFSA
or to correct it online, and to complete the
required online Master Promissory Note if
you are receiving your first Federal Direct
Loan. The same PIN can be used as long
as you are a student, so if you got one last
year just use it again. Your federal PIN is
also your identifier to access your personal
information in all U. S. Department of
Education (USDOE) systems. Request a
PIN or replacement PIN, or update your
PIN mailing address, at the USDOE PIN
site at:

Federal Direct Loan
If you are awarded a Federal Direct
Stafford Loan and don't have a Master
Promissory Note (MPN) on file, go to:
Federal PIN is required to complete
the onlineMPN If you have difficulty,
come to SFA's Student Resource Center
in S-107 Criser Hall.

Federal Direct
Loan Confirmation-
at www.isis.ufl.edu/
f awarded a Federal Direct Stafford
Loan, you must confirm that you will
accept the loan before it can be
disbursed. At the Loan Confirmation Site
on ISIS, you will accept, reject, or reduce
the amount of loan(s) offered to you for
each academic term. Do this as soon as
you receive your financial aid award to be
sure your loan is disbursed on time. To
complete the confirmation process,
* go to: www.isis.ufl.edu/
* click on "Services"
* choose "Financial Information;" then
* choose "Financial Aid Direct Loan
Confirmation" for the correct year



A Change in Family or
Financial Circumstances
After filing your financial aid application if
any of the following circumstances apply to
you or your family, check with your
financial aid adviser to see if this might
affect your financial aid application. Late
spring is the primary time period to
petition your financial aid award.
1.Divorce of parents, or you/your spouse.
2.Death of a major wage earner.
3. Lost employment of a major wage earner.
4. Loss of other income or benefits (such as
Social Security or child support), by you,
your parents or spouse.

Receiving Outside
Scholarships or Fellowships
Notify us immediately of all assistance you
receive from sources other than our office
(such as fellowships, fee waivers, and
outside scholarships). Certain programs
require repayment of aid funds if you
receive more than the amount of your
eligibility for aid. Notifying us late of these
awards may put you in the situation of
having to repay financial aid when you
can't afford it. Report all outside assistance
on the Additional Aid Form enclosed with
your Financial Aid Award Letter. Additional
Aid Forms are also printable from the online
forms section of our web site at:

PLAN NOW for Summer '02

Did Summer Bright Futures
Cuts Affect Your Plans?
Read the article on page one on summer
Bright Futures funding cuts. If the cuts
affected your plans, consider these options
to help cover your shortfalls:
1. Check with your aid adviser to see if
you qualify for more loans.
2. Line up a part-time summer job; or get
work in the spring to save for the summer.
3. Apply for a private scholarship. Check
our online scholarship bulletin board at:

Summer Aid & Enrollment
The sessions) for which you enroll
Summer A, B, and/or C-and the
number of hours that you enroll determine
WHEN you receive your aid, Summer A
or B. To receive funds in Summer A
(exception: Pell Grant), undergraduates
must enroll for at least six credit hours in
Summer Aand/or C, and graduate
students for at least four credit hours in
Summer Aand/or C. Otherwise,
disbursement of aid except Pell Grants is
delayed until Summer B, regardless of
preregistration for Summer B. For Federal
Work-Study, you must enroll for at least
six credit hours Summer Aand/or C to be
eligible to work Summer A, or be enrolled
in Summer Aand preregistered for at least
three credit hours in Summer B. For more
information, go to: www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/

UF Summer Aid Policy
An academic year at UF includes fall,
spring, and summer semesters. SFA
will award money for summer if: (1)
funds are available for summer awards
after fall/spring semester needs have been
met, OR (2) you choose to use aid
originally awarded for the fall or spring
term in the summer. To be considered for a
summer 2002 Federal Direct Loan or PLUS
loan, apply by April 15, 2002.
For Summer 2002:Use 2001-02 FAFSA

Summer Study Abroad
& Financial Aid
The UF International Center's Study
Abroad Services (SAS) offers programs
that provide a wide range of academic and
cultural experiences. Students who are
awarded financial aid (including
scholarships) may continue to receive it
while studying overseas, as long as they
meet minimum enrollment requirements
during the semester(s) they are studying
overseas. Student Financial Affairs
coordinates with SAS to help students
receive their financial aid. Federal Direct
Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans (for
parents of dependent undergraduate
students) are the primary funds available
for study abroad students. Overseas
packages exclude employment. The
application deadline for summer
programs is March 1. For more
information, go to:
wwwilfic .ifl Pedl/oss/stiidvahroad html


Q. When Can I File As
A. You can file as "independent" when
you meet one of the following criteria:
* you are at least 24 years of age
* you are married
* you have a dependent for whom you
provide more than 50% of support
* you are a graduate student
* you are a veteran of the U. S. Armed
* you are an orphan, or are/were a
ward/dependent of the court

Under extenuating circumstances, you
may petition to become "independent." To
be classified independent because of
marriage, you must be married at the time
you complete your FAFSA. You may not
project this status. Graduate students
must be enrolled in an accredited
graduate program working towards a
graduate level degree to be classified
"independent." Post-baccalaureate classes
do not entitle students to graduate status.

Q. Can You Afford More
A. Some day you will graduate and need to
repay what you are borrowing now. Recent
data indicates that students are graduating

with record loan debts. One way to keep
track of how much debt you are
accumulating is to monitor your debt when
you complete the direct loan confirmation
process accepting your loans each year. You
can also consult with Consumer Credit
Counseling Service of Mid-Florida, a
United Way agency that offers free budget
and credit counseling to teach students how
to prevent future debt problems.The
Gainesville office is located at 1227 NW
16th Avenue. For more information, call
1-800-245-1865 or (352) 371-2227; or go to:

Financial Aid NEWS 2
Spring 2002


Non-Profit Org.
U.S. Postage
Gainesville, FL


Office for Student Financial Affairs
S-107 Criser Hall, P. O. Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611 4025
(352) 392-1275

Financial Aid NEWS is produced once a
semester by the Office for Student Financial
Affairs Information/Publication Services
section to inform students about financial aid
programs and services that help UF students
meet educational costs.
Director: Karen Fooks
Editor/Design: Susan Mickelberry
Art Contributor: Jeff Stevens
Article Contributor: Dawn Western

Financial Aid NEWS is available in other
formats for students with documented, print
related disabilities. Contact Student Financial
Affairs' telephone line for students with
disabilities: (352) 392-1272 (V/TDD); Florida
Relay Service: 1 (800) 392-3008 (TDD).
Online at: www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/

The University of Florida is committed to
equal treatment of students without regard
to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed,
marital status, national origin, disability, or
veteran status.

What is "America Reads"
A merica Reads is a federal program in which
Federal Work-Study (FWS) students work as
tutors to help children improve reading skills. If you
are interested and have been awarded financial aid,
whether or not you have an FWS award, check with
Student Financial Affairs about eligibility for FWS, and
with the College of Education, G 315 Norman Hall, for
information on participating in "America Reads".

Financial Aid & the IRS
Students who receive financial aid must report
portions of their financial aid as "taxable income" on
their income tax. Federal Work-Study funds must be
included as earned income. Funds received from grants,
scholarships, benefits, and fellowships from UF or any
other source that, combined, are more than the cost of
your tuition, fees, books, and required supplies are
taxable income; loans are not. For more information,
consult the IRS, your tax form instructions, or your
personal tax adviser.

Clip for your Wallet

-I -
4 VD

u 6 r

M B.

L ----------- J

Satellite Aid Offices Main Office: Student Financial Affairs S-107 Criser Hall P. O. Box 114025 Gainesville, FL 32611 4025 (352) 392 1275
College of Dentistry College of Law College of Medicine Health Professions, Masters in Business
Tom Kolb Trish Varnes Eileen Parris Nursing, Pharmacy, & Administration (MBA)
Dental Tower, D3-#17A 164 Holland Hall M-128 Health Sciences Veterinary Medicine Bill Watson
Mike Menefee
Health Sciences Center (352) 392-0421 Center CG 96, Health Sciences P102-I Peabody Hall
(352) 846-1384 (352) 392-7800 Center (353) 392-1275 (ext.3386)
(352) 392-6631

4 Financial Aid NEWS
Spring 2002

U.S. Department of Education
Federal Student Aid Programs
(800) 433-3243
(800) 730-8913 (TDD)
Federal Direct Loan Services
1(800) 557-7394
Florida Dept. of Education
Office of Student Financial Assistance
(Florida Bright Futures/State Programs)
1940 N. Monroe Street, Suite 70
Tallahassee, FL32303-4759
(888) 827-2004 toll free
UF TeleGator
(352) 37GATOR (374-2867)
Automated financial aid file info
(352) 846-1183

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs