Front Cover

Group Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Title: Gator aid
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00087106/00004
 Material Information
Title: Gator aid financial aid application guide. 2009-2010.
Series Title: Gator aid financial aid application guide
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Publisher: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: 2009
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00087106
Volume ID: VID00004
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

GAguide0910 ( PDF )

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Page 1
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4
        Page 5
        Page 6
        Page 7
        Page 8
        Page 9
        Page 10
        Page 11
        Page 12
Full Text

~l -

UFFLO. ee. 209 7 0 Fiaca Ai Aplcto Guid

4- +++ +++ +++ +++t
=!ILI P '-4+++++1



2009-10 GATOR AID



Office for Student
Financial Affairs
The Office for Student Financial Affairs
(SFA) is the financial aid office at the
University of Florida (UF). SFA provides
financial aid advising and information about
financial aid programs and the application
process to students, prospective students,
and their parents. Visit our lobby in S-107
Criser Hall if you need assistance with any
part of the financial aid process. Office hours
are 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday through
SFA also has satellite offices at the Colleges of
Dentistry, Law, and Medicine, and at the HPNP
Bldg. for the Colleges of Public Health &
Health Professions; Nursing; Pharmacy; &
Veterinary Medicine. Students attending these
colleges should contact the satellite offices.
See "Addresses & Phone Numbers" on page
12 of this guide.

For most financial aid programs at UF, you
1. Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent
resident alien.
2. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at
least half-time in a degree program. For
complete information on enrollment, go
3. Make satisfactory academic progress
toward a degree. See UF's Financial Aid
Academic Progress Requirements in the
Gator Aid Handbook and the SFA Web site:
4. Register with the Selective Service
Administration, if required to do so.
5. Not be in default on a federal or
institutional loan or owe a repayment on
a previous financial aid award received
at UF or other institution.

2009-10 University of Florida
Estimated Costs of Attendance
for a Two-Semester Academic Year

Tuition/Fees* $4,100
Books and Supplies 990
Computer Costs 1,040
Housing 4,860
Food 2,640
Transportation 540
Clothing Maintenance 650
Personal/Health Insur. 1,630
Total Budget $16,450


at Home



* Tuition/fee figures are projected estimates for 2009-10 for incoming freshmen and graduate students
entering UF for the first time. Tuition/fees for continuing students may be lower. Out-of-state
undergraduates should add $19,370 to projected tuition/fees. Out-of-state graduate students should
add $16,640 to projected tuition/fees. Undergraduate tuition/fees listed are based on an average of 30
credit hours of 0-4999 level courses. Graduate tuition/fees are based on 24 credit hours of 5000-9999
level courses. Rates per credit hour and block fees include the student health fee.
All projected figures are subject to change.


The final approved
tuition/fees for
2009-10 are not
available at the
time of printing. For
tuition and fee
information, go to
the University
Financial Services
student page at:
University Financial
Services is located
in S-108 Criser Hall.

2 Gator Aid Application Guide


Financial Aid Programs

Grants ...

Grants are awards for students with the
greatest financial need; they do not have to
be repaid.
* Federal Pell Grants. The Federal Pell
Grant program is the largest federally funded
undergraduate grant program. Awards are
based on students' enrollment status and their
expected family contribution, as determined
by information they supply on the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Awards for students enrolled full-time range
from $400 to $4,731 per academic year.
* Federal Supplemental Educational
Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). FSEOG is a
federally funded program awarded by SFA to
undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional
financial need. Awards at UF generally range
from $100 to $2,000 per academic year.
* Federal Academic Competitiveness
Grant (ACG). ACG is a federally-funded
program awarded by SFA to undergraduates
who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens,
qualify for Pell Grant, and complete a rigorous
high school program after January 1, 2005.
Awards range from $200 to $1,350 per
academic year. Go to:
* National Science & Mathematics Access
to Retain Talent (SMART) Grant. SMART is a
federally funded grant program awarded by
SFA to undergraduates in qualifying majors
who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens,
qualify for Pell Grant, and meet academic
requirements. Awards range up to $4,000 per
academic year. Go to:
* Teacher Education Assistance for
College and Higher Education (TEACH)
Grant. The TEACH Grant was created by
federal legislation to help students planning
careers as highly qualified full-time teachers
in high-need subject areas in schools
serving low-income students. Recipients
can receive up to $4,000 per year. Students
must sign a service agreement and comply
with all teaching requirements in order to
avoid repayment of this grant. For more
information, go to:
* Florida Student Assistance Grant
(FSAG). FSAG is a need-based, state grant
program for undergraduates attending
eligible Florida institutions. Recipients must
meet Florida residency requirements for

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, part-time employment, or loan offered
for the express purpose of helping students pay education-related expenses.
This aid comes from various sources: the university, federal, state, or private
agencies. SFA offers one or more of the various types of aid as a "financial

student aid and be enrolled aid package" to stL
in eligible academic degree
programs. Awards range from $200 to
$1,856 per academic year.
* I. Douglas Turner Grant. The Turner
Grant is a UF-funded program awarded by
SFA to undergraduates who demonstrate
exceptional need. Awards generally range
from $100 to $6,500 per academic year.
* UF Graduate Grant. UF Graduate Grants
are UF-funded grants awarded by SFA to
graduate students who demonstrate
exceptional financial need. Awards range
from $100 to $2,000 per academic year.

Scholarships ...

Scholarships are awards, based on academic
merit or special criteria, that do not have to
be repaid. Financial need may also be
considered. Students do not have to work
or perform service to receive scholarships.
* Florida Bright Futures Scholarships. This
program, awarded by the State of Florida,
provides three awards: the Florida Academic
Scholars Award, the Florida Medallion
Scholars Award, and the Florida Gold Seal
Scholars Award. Each award hasdifferent
academic criteria for eligibility and provides a
different award amount. The top-ranked
scholar from each high school district also
receives the Florida Top Scholar's Award,
providing up to $1,500. Go to: www.sfa.ufl.

* Institutional Scholarships. A number of
privately funded scholarships are available
through UF. These scholarships are awarded
by SFA based on guidelines provided by the
donors, financial need, and merit. To receive
funds, students must enroll full-time.
Scholarships generally range from $200 to
$2,500 per academic year. Go to:

Employment ...

Part-time student jobs through the following
programs require an overall 2.0 grade point
average. Students usually work 10-20 hours
a week and earn at least minimum wage.

Student jobs fall into three categories:

* Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally
funded, need-based work program. Go to:
* Other Personnel Services (OPS) is an
institutionally/state-funded program that is
not need-based. Go to: www.iobs.ufl.edu.

dents who apply on time and are found to be eligible.
Off-Campus jobs are through private
employers. Go to: www.sfa.ufl.edu/iob.html.

Student Loans ...

Most long-term student loans have low
interest rates and offer deferred repayment.
Federal Direct Loan Program. Federal
Direct Loans include the Federal Direct
Stafford, Federal Direct Unsubsidized
Stafford, Federal Direct PLUS, and
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS programs.
Subsidized Stafford Loans are need-
based, federally subsidized loans with a
fixed interest rate of 5.6% for
undergraduate students and 6.8% for
graduate students. Repayment is deferred
until students graduate, withdraw, or enroll
less than half-time. Interest is paid by the
federal government until six months after
students graduate, withdraw, or drop
below half-time enrollment. An origination
fee is charged at disbursement.
Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are not
based on need. "Unsubsidized" means the
interest is not deferred while in school.
However, repayment may be deferred until
after students graduate, withdraw, or enroll
less than half-time. Unsubsidized loans
have a 6.8% fixed interest rate. An
origination fee is charged at disbursement.
Federal Direct PLUS Loans allow parents
of dependent undergraduates, as well as
graduate/professional students, to borrow
up to the cost of education minus other
financial aid. There are no aggregate loan
limits. The program has a fixed interest rate
of 7.9%. An origination fee is charged at
disbursement. Unless deferred, repayment
begins 60 days after the loan is fully
For complete information on Direct Loans,
go to: www.ed.gov/DirectLoan/faq.html.
Federal Perkins Loans. Perkins Loans
are awarded by SFA to students with the
greatest financial need. Interest of 5%
begins to accrue when the loan becomes
due after a nine-month grace period.
University of Florida Long-Term Loans.
SFA awards UF and/or private donor, need-
based loans, such as the Student Aid for
Education Loan, the Cora B. Pilling Loan,
the John G. and Fannie F Ruge Memorial
Loan, the Hart R. Stringfellow Loan, the
Meril S. Beers Loan, and the Arthur L.
Wallace Loan. Awards vary from $500 to
$3,500 annually. Interest rates range from
4% to 9%. These loans require co-signers.

2009-10 3


1 Complete a Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on or
after January 1, 2009. Apply each
year-financial aid is not renewed

APPLY Online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov

* Go to FAFSA on the Web at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
* Request a federal PIN (see "Your Federal PIN," page 5).
* Follow the instructions on the site. Be sure you read "Before
Beginning a FAFSA."
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" on page 8 of this
Application Guide.
* List "University of Florida" and the UF Federal School Code
(001535) as a school choice in Step Six of the FAFSA.
* Sign your FAFSA. Students can sign the FAFSA
electronically using their federal PIN (see "Your Federal
PIN," page 5). Parents of dependent students can also
sign electronically but must either request their own PIN
or print, sign, and mail the signature page to the processor.
* After applying, you can check the status of your application
and/or make corrections online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.

OR, File a Paper FAFSA

To Get a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
* Request one from the Federal Student Aid Information Center at
1 (800) 433-3243; OR
* Download and print one from the Federal Student Aid Web site at:

^r fPt'

, 2 You will receive a Federal Student Aid
Report (SAR) from the federal
processor after you submit your FAFSA.
The SAR indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which
is used to determine your eligibility for financial aid. It also lists
information you recorded on your FAFSA, so you can check your
information for accuracy.
If you provide your e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will get an
online SAR as soon as 24 hours after your FAFSA is processed. If
no corrections are needed, keep the SAR with your financial aid
If you want to be considered for aid at UF and UF is not listed in
the SAR's "College Release Section," you must call the federal
processor at 1 (800) 433-3243. Or you can use your Federal PIN
to make a correction at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
If your e-mail or mailing address changes, update it with the
federal processor to make sure you get your SAR, electronic
PIN, Renewal Reminder, and other correspondence. You can
make these updates at www.fafsa.ed.gov or on your SAR.

3 Follow up on your application. It may
be selected for Verification/Quality

You are responsible for following up on your aid application.
Check the status of your aid application and award on ISIS at:
www.isis.ufl.edu (see page 10 of this guide).
Do not wait until school begins to submit required documents. Ask
questions if you are unsure about any part of the application

* List "University of Florida" and the UF Federal School Code
(001535) as a school choice in Step Six of the FAFSA.
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" on page 8 of this
Application Guide.

RENEW Your Application
Web has part of your information from the previous year already
filled in to make the process easier. Go to: www.fafsa.ed.gov and
select "Filling out a FAFSA."

* If your application is selected for Verification or Quality
Assurance, you will be required to provide verifying
documentation before aid can be disbursed to you (see
"Verification/Quality Assurance," page 9). Respond promptly to
requests for information or documentation. Most forms for this
process are available to print from your "financial aid status"
page on ISIS, or on SFA's Web site (see page 10 of this guide).

4I You will receive a Notification of
S* Financial Aid Award from us.

* When UF receives your application information from the federal
processor and you have been admitted to UF, SFA will award
you an aid package based on your eligibility.
* You will receive a Notification of Financial Aid Award by e-mail
stating the terms and conditions of aid programs awarded to
you. Read it carefully, and follow any instructions that pertain
to you.

4 Gator Aid Application Guide

Your Federal & State PINS

Your PINs are "Personal Identification
Numbers" that function as electronic
signatures and IDs. You will have
separate PINs for federal and state aid
programs, so be sure to use the correct
PIN. You will use your PINs year after
year. Keep them in a safe place.
Your Federal PIN
Your federal PIN allows you access to
personal information in U.S. Department
of Education (USDOE) systems when
applying for federal student aid.
Use your Federal PIN to:
(1) access FAFSA on the Web,
(2) sign your FAFSA electronically or
obtain a copy of your FAFSA
(3) complete your federal student loan
(Federal Direct and/or Perkins Loans)
electronic Master Promissory Notes,
(4) make online FAFSA corrections, and
(5) review your grant and loan history
on the National Student Loan Data



Help Sessions

"Financial Aid Application Help
Sessions" are held each spring in
January and February. Students can
get individual help completing the
FAFSA online. All sessions are
open-no appointment is required.
In January, watch our Web site, the
Independent Florida Alligator, UF's
Gator Times e-mail, or Student News
on my.UFL for times and locations.

Request a Federal PIN, request a
replacement PIN, or update your PIN
mailing address at the USDOE's PIN site
at: www.pin.ed.gov.

Your State of Florida PIN
If you receive a Florida Bright Futures
award from the State of Florida, you will
also receive a System ID and Personal
Identification Number (PIN) with
instructions on how to access your Bright
Futures record on the Web. Use these to:
(1) view your State of Florida award,
(2) update your information,
(3) update your college choice,
(4) view the amount disbursed each
(5) monitor your hours remaining for the
year and for the scholarship, and
(6) view a list of correspondence sent to
you by the Florida Bright Futures
For questions on Florida programs, call:
1 (888) 827-2004. For information, go to:

Change in Family



If you/your family have extenuating
financial circumstances including the
examples below, check with your
financial aid adviser to see if this might
affect your financial aid application.
(1) Divorce of parents, or you from your
(2) Death of a major wage earner.
(3) Loss of employment of a major wage
(4) Loss of other income or benefits (such
as child support), by you, your
parents, or spouse.
Students petitioning financial aid awards
are strongly encouraged to do so from
March 1 through June 1.

Enter your CORRECT

Social Security No.
on your FAFSA to get

financial aid on time!
aid is awre fis- co e firt-srve. Late
aplcat ar conidre for ai tha remain
when ~ ~ ~ thi aplcto fiei o pee

Estimating Taxes
If you haven't filed your 2008 federal income tax forms when it is
time to apply for aid, report "estimated" 2008 income information on
your FAFSA. You must correct your FAFSA if the estimate differs
from your actual income. Be sure to keep a copy of your tax
return and your W2s.

2009-10 5


The financial information you and your family
provide on your Free Application for Federal
Student Aid (FAFSA) is analyzed by the federal
need analysis processor using "Federal
Methodology," a standard formula established
by the U.S. Congress. It is used by the federal
processor to calculate expected family
contribution (EFC)-how much individual
students and their families are expected to pay
toward their educational expenses.

After analyzing your financial information, the
federal processor sends the results to the
university, indicating how much you and your
family should be able to pay toward your
education. If the cost of attendance at UF is
greater than what the processor indicates you
and your family should be able to pay, then
the university considers you to have financial

Cost of Attendance
Family Contribution
= Financial Need

Cost of Attendance includes tuition/fees,
books and supplies, housing, food,
transportation, clothing maintenance, and
personal items/health insurance (see "2009-10
Estimated Costs of Attendance" on page 2).

Expected Family Contribution consists of
expected parental contribution and/or
student contribution, depending upon the
student's classification as "dependent" or
"independent." Federal Methodology is used
by the federal processor to determine the
amount of each applicant's expected family
contribution. It takes into account the family's
income and assets, employment costs, living
expenses, taxes, family size, and the number
of family members in college.

Dependent vs.
The U.S. government has established criteria
for classifying financial aid applicants as
dependent or independent.
* If you are able to check "YES" to any item in
Step Three on the 2009-10 FAFSA, you are
considered independent for financial aid
purposes. If classified independent, your
need is evaluated on your own and, if
applicable, your spouse's income and
* If you are classified dependent, your own
assets and income are considered as well
as your parents' assets and income when
your financial need is determined.


Other Sources of Aid Summer Attendance Requirement

The following are additional sources of aid other than SFA. An academic year at UF includes fall, spring, and summer
Students who receive funds through these sources while also semesters. Freshmen and sophomores entering the State
applying for aid through SFA must notify us upon receipt of this University System must complete at least nine credit hours during
assistance. a summer session to graduate. For exemptions, go to:
* UF Admissions Office. The Admissions Office awards www.reclistrar.ufl.edu/cataloc/policies/reculationgraduation.html.
academic achievement scholarships, primarily to incoming SFA supports this requirement and will award summer money if:
freshmen and transfers.
(1) funds are available for summer awards after fall/spring
Florida Prepaid College Plan. The Florida Prepaid College semester needs have been met, OR
Plan allows parents, grandparents, and others to lock in the (2) a student chooses to use aid originally awarded for fall or
cost of college today. For more info, see our Web site, or the spring term during the summer.
Prepaid Web site, at: www.floridaprepaidcollece.com.
Individual UF Colleges. Aid available through individual To apply for
colleges within the university is listed in the Gator Aid
Handbook and on our Web site, at: www.sfa.ufl.edu. 2009
The State of Florida. The Florida Department of Education financial aid:
Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) sponsors many Use a 2008-
programs, such as the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, the 09FAFSA.
Florida Student Assistance Grant, the Jos Marti Scholarship
Challenge Grant, and the Rosewood Family Scholarship. For To apply for
more information, go to the OSFA Web site, at: Summer
financial aid:
Outside Scholarships/Loans. Use a 2009-
SFA includes a chapter on outside aid in our Gator Aid 10 FAFSA.
Handbook and offers free scholarship searches and an
electronic scholarship bulletin board through our home page:

6 Gator Aid Application Guide

.s ---~'~,-:_-:~

Graduate Student?
In addition to the Graduate Grant, graduate students may apply
for Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized
Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans, and most
work programs described in this Application Guide. Graduate
students pursuing master's or doctoral degrees can also apply
for fellowships, assistantships, and other awards offered through
individual colleges and the Graduate School. For these awards,
students should apply through the dean's office of their college
or department and check on their application deadlines.
Students applying for loans or work through SFA should
understand that fellowships, fee waivers, and health
insurance benefits must be included in aid packages.
Students who accept an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship
must receive Graduate School approval before accepting other
You are responsible for notifying SFA of all assistance you
receive from any source. Receiving fellowships or fee
waivers affects eligibility for aid through SFA.
Contact the Graduate School for more information about
graduate aid. The Office of Research, Technology, and Graduate
Education in 256 Grinter Hall maintains a comprehensive list of
private and outside scholarships and fellowships.

Student with a Disability?
Student Financial Affairs (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall and the Dean of
Students Office (DSO) Disability Resource Center in 001 Reid Hall work
together to assist students with disabilities. Criser and Peabody Halls
are wheelchair accessible. Students who need special help to apply for
aid may contact SFA at (352) 392-1272 (V/TDD). When applying for aid
through SFA, students with disabilities may qualify for an increase in
their educational budgets to cover disability-related expenses. For
financial aid purposes, undergraduates must be registered for at least
12 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time. DSO helps
determine disability-related expenses not offered or provided by other
agencies. The Disability Resource Center's phone numbers are:
(352) 392-8565 (V); fax (352) 392-8570.
For a TDD number call the Florida Relay Service (Dial 711; or 1 (800)
955-8770 for voice assistance).

International Student?
Students in the U.S. on an Fl, F2, J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a
G-series visa are not eligible to receive federal aid administered by SFA.
These students, however, may be eligible for private or college-awarded
scholarships administered by agencies other than our office. The UF
International Center (UFIC) may be able to provide information on other
programs available to international students. Go to: www.ufic.ufl.edu.

Study Abroad
Awards from federal aid programs are available
to students who participate in university-
approved study abroad programs. The
reasonable costs of a Study Abroad program,
rather than the university's cost of attendance,
can be used to determine students' financial
aid awards. Check with Student Financial
Affairs (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall about
procedures to receive aid, including

Transient Student?
UF degree-seeking students who do not enroll
for any UF courses and elect to attend
another school in the Florida State University
System for one term may be eligible to receive
aid from UF Financial aid awarded at UF may
be processed and paid by UF upon receipt of
consortium agreements and enrollment
certifications from the host institution.
Students wishing to receive financial aid as a
transient student MUST see a financial aid
adviser PRIOR to the term of non-UF
attendance to see if they are eligible.

Veterans who are enrolled students can
work up to twenty-five hours per week
tax-free through VA Work-Study.
Veterans also are entitled to Tutorial
Assistance benefits, through which
they are reimbursed for tutorial
expenses. Questions on VA benefits
should be addressed to the VA
Coordinator in the UF Registrar's
Office in Criser Hall.


Postbaccalaureate students must submit a
Financial Aid Academic Progress Petition
to SFA to have their postbaccalaureate
status evaluated before their eligibility for
financial aid can be determined. Financial
aid eligibility is directly related to a
student's degree-seeking status. Petitions
may be downloaded from our Web site:

Transfer student?
Generally, financial aid cannot be transferred from one institution to another. In most
cases, you must reapply for aid. If you plan to transfer to UF:
1. Contact both SFA and the financial aid office at the institution you currently attend
for transfer policies.
2. When you receive your Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from the processor, be
sure the University of Florida (Federal School Code 001535) is listed as a "School to
Receive Results" of your FAFSA.
3. If you are receiving a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship or other aid program from the
State of Florida, contact the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee. Inform
them that your school of record is UF
4. If you are receiving a Federal Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan at
your current school, you must cancel that loan, reapply at SFA, and contact all
your previous lenders to update your enrollment status and new address.

2009-10 7


I- K ,



Pay special attention to FAFSA items in this section

Also see "Adjusted Gross Income/
Income Tax Paid" on this page.
You must report marital status as of the
date you file the FAFSA for all individuals
about whom you give information. If you
are not married as of the date you sign the
FAFSA, check "unmarried," even if you plan
to marry during the award year. Intended
spouses cannot be included in household
size, and this item cannot be updated after
filing the FAFSA. If your natural mother
and father are divorced and the
responsible parent has remarried, when
indicating the responsible parent's marital
status, mark the box that says
"married/remarried" and include
income/asset information for both parent
and stepparent.

Include only the number of people that
you/your parents now support and for
whom you/your parents will continue to
provide more than 50% support between
July 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010 (including
your unborn child, if that child will be born
before or during the award year). Also
include your parents' other dependent
children who will be attending
postsecondary schools in 2009-10. Always
include yourself (the student).


Include only household members who will
attend college between July 1, 2009,
and June 30, 2010 at least six credit
hours per term or 12 clock hours per
week. Students must be working toward a
degree or certificate leading to a recognized
educational credential at a college eligible
to participate in federal student aid
programs. Do not include parents
attending college.


Questions 46 & 94 of the FAFSA should
be answered when either you or your
parents have received an education
credit, paid child support, or reported
any of the following as income: Federal
Work-Study, scholarships, fellowships
and/or grants, Hope and Lifetime
Learning tax credits, or AmeriCorps
awards. Combat pay included in the
Adjusted Gross Income is also reported
in this section.

Parents of Dependent Students
Parents) of dependent students MUST
Social Security Number(s).
date(s) of birth.
last name and first initial.
Not supplying a parent's name, date of
birth, or Social Security Number will cause
a student's FAFSA to be rejected.


Payments to tax-deferred pension and
savings plans.
*Untaxed portions of IRA and Keogh
payments, 401(k) and 403(b) plans.
*Child support received for all children
[total amount of child support you/your
parents) received from Jan. 1, 2008, to
Dec. 31, 2008].
*Tax exempt interest income.
*Untaxed portions of pensions (excluding
"rollovers," which must be identified as
such on the IRS return).
eMilitary/clergy housing, food, living
*Cash support or any money paid on your
behalf (includes rent/mortgage, tuition,
insurance paid by someone other than
the parent, if dependent).
eVA non-education benefits.

In the 2009-10 school year, we will focus our verification efforts on the following items
that tend to be incorrectly reported on aid applications. You/your parents may be
asked to document such items.

Do NOT submit copies of tax returns to Student Financial Affairs (SFA), unless we
request them. When you receive your Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal
processor, disregard any comment that indicates that you have been selected for verification.
We will notify you if you are selected for verification by our office.

8 Gator Aid Application Guide


*Use a completed 2008 tax return, if at all
possible, when completing the financial
aid application.
*If your tax filing is delayed, estimate your
information to meet the "on-time" UF aid
deadline. If you estimate, be sure to
update your application after your taxes
are filed. Keep a photocopy of your tax
return. You may be asked to provide a
*When reporting U.S. taxes paid, do NOT
report the amount of tax "withheld" and
do NOT include self-employment taxes.
SIf your responsible parent is remarried
(even if they were not married in 2008),
you must include your stepparent's
income and asset information.
*If you/your parents are married and filed
separate income tax returns, income
information from both tax returns must
be combined and reported.
*If you/your parents are divorced,
separated, or widowed, DO NOT include
information about your or your parent's
spouse. For further assistance, call us at
(352) 392-1275.


When answering questions pertaining to
parent/student assets, you must report the
net worth of those assets as of the date
you complete the FAFSA. These items
cannot be updated after filing the original
form. Do not include financial aid you


Students must answer the question
about drug-related offenses. Do not
leave it blank.
A drug-related conviction does not
necessarily mean you are ineligible for
aid. For more information about the UF's
policy on alcohol and other drug use, as
well as the federal policy on drug
convictions and financial aid eligibility,
see "UF Drug-Free Schools Policy" on
page 11 of this guide.



What Happens if YOU

are Selected?
Each year, about 30 percent of students' financial aid applications
nationwide are chosen for "verification," a process of confirming
data supplied by the applicant and/or parents on aid applications.
Through its verification process, UF resolves discrepancies on
students' aid applications.
UF's participation in the Federal Quality Assurance Program
allows us to establish verification criteria for UF and determine
which student files must be verified. Because of this, you should
disregard any statement on your Federal Student Aid Report
that you are being verified.

If your application is selected for verification or quality
assurance, or if there are discrepancies on your aid
application information, you will receive an e-mail from us
alerting you to check your financial aid status on ISIS at
www.isis.ufl.edu to determine what documents to provide.

Aid funds cannot be disbursed to you until you have
submitted all requested documents and the accuracy of your
information has been checked. Do not submit any
documents unless we request that you do so. This process
can take four weeks or longer.

* turn in all documents requested by SFA
as soon as possible.
* be sure all documents are signed.
* be sure your name and UFID and/or Social
Security number are on all documents you submit.
* keep photocopies of all information you
submit and record the date you send in
the documents.
* keep photocopies of tax returns and W-2s.
* call the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040 if you need
copies of your IRS forms.

Do Not
* submit incomplete or illegible documents;
if you do, they will be returned to you with
a request for acceptable forms, causing a
delay in processing your aid.
* submit photocopies of income tax forms with
information covered up by another form.
* submit any documentation unless requested by SFA.
* forget to sign your forms.


Your responsibilities are to:
* complete applications correctly and on time.
* read and understand all materials sent to you from SFA and
other financial aid agencies or provided on the SFA Web site;
keep copies of all forms and materials that you send in.
* know and comply with the rules governing aid you receive.
* provide all documentation and information requested by SFA.
* comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all
other agreements you sign.
* register for the number of hours required for your aid
disbursement. For financial aid enrollment requirements,
go to: www.sfa.ufl.edu/receivinq/enroll.html.
* maintain satisfactory academic progress. Go to:
* notify SFA of all resources not listed on your award letter.
* use aid only for expenses related to attending UF
* check your GatorLink e-mail account for financial aid info.
* keep your e-mail and mailing addresses up to date with UF
as well as the state aid and federal aid processors.

You have the right to:
* be informed of correct
procedures to apply for aid,
cost of attendance, aid
available, how financial need
is determined, criteria for
awarding aid, how academic
progress is determined, and
what you must do to
continue receiving aid.
* be informed of the type ',
and amount of your
assistance, how much of your need has been met,
and how and when you will be paid.
* appeal financial aid office decisions about your
* view the contents in your financial aid file, in
accordance with the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act.
* know the conditions of any loan that you accept.
* know the job description and pay rate for any job
that you hold or for which you may apply.

2009-10 9


Your UFID & GatorLink

Your UFID (University of Florida ID Number),
assigned to you by the university, is your
primary identifier for all your UF records
and transactions. It is printed on your Gator 1
ID card. You can also find out your UFID online
at: www.it.ufl.edu/ufid.

You will use your UFID to conduct UF
business. For instance, you will use it in
conjunction with your GatorLink ID and password
to access my.UFL and ISIS. To get a GatorLink
account, go to: www.gatorlink.ufl.edu.
Your UFID vs. Your Social Security Number
(SSN). Please note that when you apply for
financial aid you will also be asked for your SSN.
Your SSN does not function as an ID at UF;
however, it is required by the federal government
to process your financial aid application.

my.UFL: the UF Web Portal

Students can conduct most UF
business through mv.UFL.edu,
including ISIS access, updating your
mailing address, applying for on-
campus student jobs, and accessing
Gator Tickets for athletic events. You
can also read daily UF announcements
under Student News.

To access my.UFL, sign in using your
GatorLink username and password.

Update Your Mailing Address
to Receive UF Business
Sign in with your GatorLink ID and
password, choose "My Account," then
"Update My Directory Profile."

SFA e-mail Correspondence

Check your GatorLink e-mail daily for
important financial aid correspondence.
SFA uses e-mail as the primary way to
communicate with financial aid
applicants and recipients. SFA also
generates e-mails directly from students'
financial aid files to inform them of
requirements they still must complete to
receive aid, including loans. Financial aid
e-mails often provide a link directly to ISIS.
GatorLink Accounts
SFA sends business e-mails directly to
your GatorLink e-mail address. Make
sure your GatorLink address is up to date
and correctly configured to receive UF
business correspondence. To check your
GatorLink configurations, go to:

Start a Financial Aid File-Keep:

* Photocopies of your federal income tax
return and W-2s.
* Photocopies or printouts of your
completed FAFSA.
* Your Federal Student Aid Report.
* Borrower copy of promissory notes.

Your Federal PIN.
This Gator Aid Application Guide.
Your State of Florida PIN and paperwork.
Photocopies of forms or information used
to complete your aid application and all
correspondence with aid agencies.

Use ISIS: www.isis.ufl.edu

Check Financial Aid
Status/Disbursement Info
You are responsible for keeping track of
your financial aid file, before and after you
receive your award notice. On ISIS under
"Financial Aid" for 2009-10, choose from:
1. Aid Status for deferments, missing
documents, verification, financial aid
academic progress, etc.
2. Awards & Disbursements to review your
award; accept, cancel, or reduce work
and loan awards; report additional aid.
3. Additional Aid Reporting to report aid
not listed on your aid award; you can also
do this under "Awards & Disbursements."

Complete Loan Requirements
You are responsible for understanding and
accepting the terms of your loan.
Borrowing money for college is a serious
financial obligation. It's important to
remember when you borrow money for
school, you are making a legal and ethical
agreement to repay the loan.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Graduate
Plus Loans, and Perkins Loans will only be
disbursed following the completion of a
specific set of requirements. Check ISIS
regularly to determine which of these
requirements apply to you.

Using ISIS, you can:
* Accept your loan
* Complete Entrance or Exit counseling
* Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).

Sign Up for Direct Deposit
To have your financial aid deposited directly
into your checking account, go to my.UFL:
choose "Financial Services," then "Student
Direct Deposit." For more information,
contact University Financial Services in
S-108 Criser or at (352) 392-0737.

10 Gator Aid Application Guide


SFA Resource Center
SFA's Resource Center in S-107 Criser Hall provides students help with researching
and applying for financial aid, including scholarships and part-time jobs. Students
can access resources such as ISIS, FAFSA on the Web (U.S. Department of
Education's site), and free scholarship searches. The SFA Resource Center is open
from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

On SFA's Web Site

Get financial aid program and application
information; download the most recent issue
of NEWS: Financial Aid for Gators; request a
Gator Aid: Financial Aid Application Guide;
take Financial Aid 101, an online tutorial
designed to take you through the application
process; apply for a student job; and access
free scholarship search services, frequently
asked questions, and more at:

Financial Aid 101
SFA's financial aid primer for incoming
students, or continuing students, answers
questions such as how to keep track of your
aid file and how Florida Bright Futures and

Florida Prepaid affect each other. Go to:
www.sfa.ufl.edu/101/101 .html.

Scholarship Finder/Cafe
SFA has a Scholarship Finder on our
home page and a new Scholarship
Cybercafe under development. Our site
also links to free scholarship search
services that provide personalized lists of
student aid from national, state, public,
and private sources. Go to:
www.sfa.ufl.edu/101 /scholarship

SFA Forms on the Web
Our site has forms often needed to

Other Helpful Web Sites

UF Student Jobs

UF Admissions Office

UF Office of the University Registrar

UF University Financial Services

UF Graduate School
UF College of Medicine

UF College of Law
ECSI (UF's Perkins Loan Servicer)

Federal Student Aid

Direct Loan Servicing Center

State of Florida Aid Programs

Florida Prepaid College Plan

Still have a question? Come to our office in S-107 Criser
Hall, or call us at (352) 392-1275. For questions on
completing the FAFSA, call the federal processor at
1 (800) 433-3243/(319) 337-5665.

2009-10 11

The University of Florida ensures the confidentiality of
student records in accordance with State University
System rules, state statutes, and the Family Education
Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, known as the Buckley
Amendment. Your family financial information and the
type and amount of your aid are held in confidence, and
information is released only with your written consent.

UF Drug-Free Schools Policy
A summary of UF policies on the use of alcohol and
other drugs is provided to you through the Division of
Student Affairs Web site in response to the Drug-Free
Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989.

complete the application process at:
A few examples are Federal Direct PLUS
Applications, petitions, and verification
forms (before printing verification forms,
check your "Aid Status" page on ISIS or
check with your financial aid adviser).

Need more detailed information? You can
download our current brochures, guides,
handbooks, newsletters, and more at:


University of Florida

Office for Student Financial
Affairs (SFA)
S-107 Criser Hall
R O. Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611-4025
(352) 392-1275
(352) 392-1272 (V/TDD)

SFA Satellite Offices
College of Dentistry
Dental Tower
D3-#17A, Health Sciences Center
(352) 273-5999
College of Law
164 Holland Hall
(352) 273-0620
College of Medicine
M-128 Health Sciences Center
(352) 273-7939
Colleges of Public Health and Health
Professions; Nursing; Pharmacy; &
Veterinary Medicine
G208 Student Services Center
HPNP Bldg., 101 Newell Drive
(352) 273-6202
MBA Financial Aid Office
P-102-1 Peabody Hall
(352) 392-1275, ext. 3386

* 0 0. -e

D- --

S 1 02a-A Aid A *OHa
Editor: Har Mokors ,

Dann Agulr Hete Read

..0 .0--- 0 r *ym= 00Jj
take care to nsreth acurcyan

12 Gator Aid Application Guide


U.S. Department of

Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs
(Federal student financial aid info; request
a FAFSA; help filling out FAFSAs; questions
on your application status; duplicate SARs)
1 (800) 433-3243
1 (800) 730-8913 (TDD)

Direct Loan Servicing Center
Borrower Services
1 (800) 848-0979

Florida Department of

Office of Student Financial
1940 N. Monroe Street, Suite 70
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4759
(State student aid programs)
1 (888) 827-2004




Financial aid applications are reviewed without
regard to race, creed, color, religion, age,
disability, sexual orientation, sex, marital status,
national origin, political opinions or affiliations,
or veteran status.

Office for Student Financial Affairs S-107 Criser Hall
P. O. Box 114025 Gainesville, FL 32611-4025
A Division of Student Affairs Department
Educating Leaders for a Global Community


The Foundation for The Gator Nation

January 1, 2009
Apply now for aid for 2009-10
March 15, 2009
"On-Time" UF Financial Aid Application
Deadline for 2009-10 aid

Apply weeks early to meet this deadline.
The Office for Student Financial Affairs (SFA)
must receive the results of your FAFSA with a
calculated "Estimated Family Contribution"
from the federal processor by this date for
you to be considered "on-time." Financial aid
is awarded first-come, first-served. Late
applicants are considered for aid that remains
after "on-time" applicants have been
June 30, 2010
Deadline to submit a FAFSA to apply for
any federal aid program for 2009-10

Hearing or speech-impaired students
can call SFA's phone line for students
with disabilities: (352) 392-1272 (V/TDD).
Students trying to contact a UF
agency that does not list a TDD
number can call the Florida Relay

Dial 711, or 1 (800) 955-8771 (TDD)
1 (800) 955-8770 (Voice)
SFA's Web site at
www.sfa.ufl.edu is screen-reader
This document is
available on request in
other formats. Call
SFA's phone line for

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs