ST. AUGUSTINE HISTORICAL RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION
20 August 1960
FINAL FIELD REPORT
ARCHAEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS OF THE ARRIVALS HOUSE
PRELIMINARY SURVEY OF BLOCK 12, LOTS 22, 23 AND 24
HALE G. SMITH, ARCHAEOLOGIST
Room B and Room C
Tabby Patio to North of Arrives House
Excavations in St. George Street
Archaeological Houses in Block 12,
Lots 22, 23 and 24
de la Rocque 44 House
The archaeological excavations undertaken during the summer of AD. 1960
for the St. Augustine Restoration and Preservation Commission were not intensive
or extensive enough to give the full developmental sequence and cultural picture
of the area investigated.
Due to limitations of time, budget and the schedule of the restoration
of the Arrivas House a second best type of archaeological investigation was begun.
Ideally each room would have been completely excavated with the removal of all the
floors and intervening fill and/or refuse material. Due to the above mentioned
factors a trench system was inaugurated that would cross section the house from
north to south and east to west and also make it possible to examine most of the
present doorways to the various rooms. In this way an artifact sample of all major
areas was procured and a chronological sequence of room construction noted. However,
it was found that in certain areas and levels there was a paucity of datable cul-
tural material. Room D being the best example. It is possible and highly probable
that various underground architectural features were not discovered and recorded.
In the area to the north of the Arrivas House the excavation was not
completed on House 1, 2, 3, 4 and the de la Rocque 44 house.--Other features, not
associated with these houses were found but time did not allow for a complete ex-
cavation, correlation and analysis of the total architectural complex in time or
The student archaeologists assisting in the work included the following:
Ross Morrell, Susan Powell, Pheriba Stacy, Robert Hall and Suwat Pananon.
When work was first started each room of the Arrivas House was given
a letter designation. Arbitrarily the lettering began with the southernmost
room which was designated as Room A, the one to the north, Room B. Room C was
a recently partitioned off section that could not be entered from Room B when
work was begun. However, originally it was part of Room B.
Room D was the most northern room included in the Arrivas House. Since
de la Rocque's map indicated a rear southwest wing to the Arrivas House, the area
enclosed by the walls that were found was designated Room K.
To the north of the Arrivas House and a recent addition to it was an
area called the Craft Shop. This terminology was maintained and designates the
area that included a tabby walled structure, House 1. However this structure was
not a part of the Arrivas House.
The east wall of Rooms A, B, C and D have to date not been excavated
due to the fact that they occur in the present sidewalk-street area. To speculate
from information that was obtained from an excavation in the street in front of
Lot 22 it can be judged that this wall falls directly under the present curb line.
The trenching of Room A did not bring to light any additional wall
remains. Four floors were present. Floor 1 (the uppermost) was built during
the twentieth century, after 1907. Floors 2 and 3 were superimposed making a
thick tabby area. Floor 2 correlates with Floor 3 of Room B, east section.
Floor 1 was a coarse tabby mixture while Floor 2 was a tabby-mortar mixture, be-
ing brownish in color. The surface of this floor was sloping and relatively un-
even. The Floor 2 area appears to have been outside area with a prepared tabby-
mortar surface that had a north to south grade of 0.4w'.
Floors 3 and 4 were 1.06' and 1.28' below the surface of Floor 1.
These two floors were only clearly indicated in the southeastern corner of the
east-west trench at the north-west corner of the eastern pier of the south wall.
The rest of the area of this room was badly pitted with refuse pits and a sur-
face roughening of the various strata was present.
A stratum occurred 1.30' below the surface of Floor 1 that was 0.30'
thick and showed evidences of a fire. It was a relatively hard stratum reddish
in color with pieces of charcoal scattered throughout. This fired stratum was
found intermittently throughout the Room A area.
In correlating this stratum with the footing of the eastern pier of
the south wall it was seen that the shell footing was present before the fire
occurred. This indicates that the shell footing preceded the four floor levels.
From an examination of the various wall profiles it was discerned that
there were five building periods represented in the various sections of the south
Period 1 Shell piers
Period 2 First coquina wall that contained a doorway
directly opposite the easternmost doorway
between Room A and B. This stage also was
represented by the east coquina pier.
Period 3 Two coquina piers in the western half of
the south wall.
Period 4 Central pier to support second story fireplace.
Period 5 Low wall of coquina inserted between east and
In correlating the floor levels and other strata to the building
periods it was discovered that the burned stratum was the results of a fire dur-
ing the Period 1 era and Floor 4 was laid during this time.
Floor 3 was associated with the doorway that was of Period 2 times.
The coquine blocks of this period were not well trimmed and were wider than those
subsequently laid on this wall at a later date.
Floor 2 correlates with building periods 3, 4 and 5. Floor 1 was laid
to raise the elevation and make a level floor area. It is probable that the
rise in elevation was undertaken in order to raise the floor above the level of
the street. This floor was laid down after 1907 since an United States of America
half-dollar of this date was discovered under this floor.
In an analysis of the artifacts from the various levels it was noted
that the stratum directly above sterile soil dates from the A. D. 1700-1725
period or later. The presence of Puebla Polychrome majolica establishes this
date. In this stratum the only datable materials included three majolica types:
Puebla Polychrome, San Luis Polychrome and San Augustine Blue on VWhite. In
addition to the majolica dating a complex of three other factors indicates that
this level was of the first Spanish period: this stratum immediately overlaid
sterile soil, its relationship to the architectural periods and the absence of
English ceramic types.
The area below Floor 2 to next to last stratum before sterile soil
dates from A. D. 1750-1800 period as was indicated by the 18th century English
ceramic types present and the absence of any of the 19th century types.
From the above evidence correlated with that of the building periods a
date for the initial construction in the Room A area appears to have been the
A. D. 1700-1725 period. The information that has been compiled was mainly from
the east-west trench along the south wall, therefore the above picture specifi-
cally applies to this area and not directly to the north wall of Room A.
The only evidence of other possible architectural features were two
post holes. One being a charred round post 0.'5 in diameter in the eastern sec-
tion and the other a 1.0' squared timber on a line with the west wall of Room B
and the western coquina pier of Room A. The charred round post was functional
when the burned stratum 1.3t below the surface of Floor 2 was fired. The func-
tion of the two posts was not established since no post pattern was discernible
due to the restricted limits of the excavation.
Room A, Trench B
Trench B was excavated in an attempt to see whether or not a west wall
existed in the loggia area. None was found outside of a 0.5' x 0.5' pine floor
plate that was discovered extending from the south to the north wall and was
associated with Floor 1, or 20th century construction. The whole area encompas-
sed by the trench was composed of refuse pits that had been dug and re-dug.
Therefore, the artifacts recovered were valueless for dating or the establishment
of any type of chronology. This trench did not unearth either floor or wall re-
mains outside of those directly in Room A.
Room B, East Section; and Room C
The east section of Room B and Room C were one room until they were
divided by a steel lath and plaster partition constructed about A. D. 1940.
Room B was divided into an East Section and a West Section after a
wooden floor was removed that exposed a north-south wall 17.70' west of the
west street curb of St. George Street and 16.25' from the rear west wall of
Ripio (whole shell) was found under the wall forming the east section
of Room B and they extended down to 6.08' M.S.L. or 3.181 below the top of tabby
floor 1. Floor 4 of the East Section correlated with ~eo ripio wall which was
torn down or fell down before the present coquina walls were constructed
In the East Section the topmost tabby floor was divided into Floor 1
and 2. Initially Floor 1 appeared to be two floors, however it was soon discover-
ed that the cleavage represented two stages of pouring only one floor. However
the designation of Floor 1 and 2 for the top floeb was continued.
Directly under Floor 2 was a dark humus fill area overlaying Floor 3.
Below Floor 3 was a lighter in color and more sandy stratum which in turn was
directly above Floor 4. Under Floor 4 there was a stratum that graded off to
sterile soil. Sterile soil throughout this area is yellow sand.
It was noted that there were no trash pits in the East Section of Rooms
B and C. This indicates that this area -ias a building site earlier than the other
rooms of this house. Another indication of relatively greater antiquity was the
depth of the ripio (whole shell) walls and the nature of the ground before the
wall trenches were dug. When the trenches were initially excavated the yellow
sand was the surface of the ground with no humus being present. The vertical
sided trenches were made into this yellow sand and were 1.1Q0 wide with a plus or
minus figure of 0.10'. After the trenches were finished ripio (whole shell and
mortar) were laid down.
Room B, North-South Middle Wall
The north-south middle wall that separated the East Section from the
West Section had a doorway 4.81' to the north of the south wall. This doorway
was ca. 5.70' wide. (A sewer pipe trench destroyed the north sill area so the
5.70' width is approximated.)
From the south wall of Room B to the doorsill area of the north-south
middle wall were two coquina blocks which were laid with the bedding plane of the
coquina being vertical rather than horizontal. (These aberrantly laid coquina
blocks are called shiners.) The block nearest the sill was cut so as to receive
the timbers of the door jamb.
Both of these coquina blocks were re-used as plaster was present on
the west vertical side. There was no mortar on the topside of these blocks as
they had been trimmed down when the wall was removed so that the wooden floor
would clear. The wooden floor was raised on 2" x 4" wooden joists.
This wall correlates with Floor 3 and was built just prior to the lay-
ing of this floor. The wall was 0.68' wide with the sill stone being 0.30' wide.
On the east side of the north-south middle wall was a coquina apron
that extended from the wall to 1.00' into the room. This extended from the
south wall to 4.91' north. The coquina apron was 0.20' thick.
After the removal of the coquina blocks of the north-south middle wall
it was found that the coquina apron extended under the blocks and into the west
section of Room B. How far it extended into the west section is unknown since
the excavations did not penetrate this area beyond 4.0' west of the north-south
middle wall. The coquina was still present here and continued on. This coquina
level was 0.10' below Floor 3 of the east section of Room B. At the wall the
narrow slabs of coquina rest on mortar which in turn was atop the ripio wall.
This coquina area extended into the west section of Room B. The coquina in this
section was concentrated along the southern area, or from the south wall to 4.91'
Included in the same level occurred brick fragments and other rubble. In this
West Section this material correlates with the bottom of Floor 3.
Room B, West Section
As has been noted only three floors were present in this section. The
top two being directly superimposed one on the other. Floors 1 and 2 correlate
with Floors 1 and 2 of the East Section. Also Floor 3 of both sections are of
the same level and time period.
Floor 3 was the floor laid down after the first coquina structure was
The ripio (whole shell) wall found in the East Section did not extend
west of the north-south middle wall.
Below Floor 2 was a large trash pit that at its base had a clay deposit
which was of a residual type. It is possible that this pit' was originally a
source of clay for the Indians in the manufacturing of San Marcos ceramics.
Floor 3 in the west section was of tabby, whose surface appeared as
if it had been subject to water erosion as it did not have a smooth worn surface
as other interior floors possessed. In all appearances it resembles an outside
tabby floor. However it was conclusive that Floor 3 was laid after the outside
coquina walls were constructed. Why the surface had this texture is unknown.
East Doorway Sill of the South Wall of Room B. (Doorway between Rooms A & B)
The uppermost sill, sill 1, came into existence in the 18th century
when the elevation of Room A was raised to more closely approximate that of
Room B. The floors of the two rooms involved in the sill at this period were
Floor 1 of Room B and Floor 2 of Room A.
Floor 1 of Room B was 0.70' higher than Floor 2 of Room A. When
Floor 1 of Room B was laid another sill complex was present, (Floor 1 of Room
B was poured to the edge of the sill stone notch, see below.)
Before Floor 2 of Room A was laid fill was added to Room A and a
2" x 4" board was placed so that the south edge of the board was flush with the
south side of the sill foundation stone where a notch had already been cut for
sill 2 (see below). The doorway at this time was an outside doorway.
Sill 2 was the earliest and original sill for this doorway and it cor-
relates with Floor 3 of Room B. Floor 3 was 0.50' below the top of the sill
The sill stones were 0.58' high and 0.95' wide. A notch 0.20' deep
and 0.30' wide was cut out of the south side the width of the doorway. These
stones were in line as to thickness with the wall.
Sill 2 was a raised doorsill with a step down from the sill into
Room B. This was a step down of 0.30'. In Room A there was a tabby area which
sloped gradually up to the sill stone. The slope from a more or less level pre-
pared for walking to the sill was 0.45'.
East Doorway of North Wall of Room C between Rooms C and D
During the last period of construction this doorway was not used,
Since the Room C area had been sealed off by partitions between Rooms B-C and
C-D. These partitions were built during the A. D. 1940 period and Room C be-
came a stairway area.
Floor 1 of Room D was of cement and was laid when the 20th century
stairway of Room C was installed, or shortly thereafter. The elevation of this
floor was 9.26' plus or minus 0.04'. This raised the elevation of this floor
to 0.35' above-that of Room C. Therefore Sill 1 was not a sill in the strict
sense of the word since the area was blocked off.
Sill 2, below Sill 1, correlates with Floor 2 of Room D whose eleva-
tion was 0.20' above Floor 1 of Room C. This sill was utilized during two
building states (see Sill 3 below). It was noted that by Sill 2 times the ori-
ginal door jambs had already been narrowed by filling each side with coquina
blocks and mortared rubble. On the east side of the doorway at the junction of
the jamb and the sill was a coquina block that was cut so that it was level with
Floor 2, and in line with the contoured jamb above. There was plaster on the
west side of this block that may have dated later than the plaster on the north
side of the sill.
Sill 2 correlates with Floor 2 of Room D and was, like Floor 1, laid
down after Room C had been sealed off. The door seal occurred on the south of
the door jamb. Both Floor 1 and 2 of Room D were poured at this point.
The north side of the sill was plastered with the plaster being con-
tinuous with that of the wall. The plaster was applied prior to the laying of
Floor 2. The sill itself was composed of coquina blocks laid in mortar, 0.45'
high and 0.60' wide.
As has been mentioned during Sill 2 times the jambs had already been
narrowed. When Sill 3 was used the whole width of the original doorway was
utilized. This sill correlates with Floor 1 of Room C and Floor 3 of Room D.
The sill was flush with the floor levels.
Sill 4 correlates with Floor 2 of Room C and Floor 4 of Room D and is
the earliest sill since prior to the coquina walled structure, during the ripio
wall period, there was no doorway at this point. This doorway since its in-
ception probably was an inside doorway.
Elevations-- Sill 1 9.26: MSL
Sill 2 9.06 MSL
Sill 3 8.78 MSL
Sill 4 8.16 MSL
Chronology from Artifacts
In a dating of the various floor levels of Room B the initial stratum
that yielded cultural material was the dark humus level under Floors 1 and 2
of both the East and West sections. The following datable artifacts were found:
Aucilla Polychrome majolica. Tallahassee Blue on White majolica, Puebla Poly-
chrome majolica, San Luis Blue on White majolica, Puebla Blue on White majolica,
Queen's Ware and pre-1750 olive jar sherds.
From this assemblage it is indicated that Floors 1 and 2 (top floor)
were laid after A. D. 1750 and before A. D. 1800.
From an analysis of the sherds in level 5 it was seen that Floor 3 was
laid during the first Spanish period or between A. D. 1700-1750. The key
sherds for this dating being San Augustin Blue on White majolica that dates
from A. D. 1700-1730. The other majolica types bear an A. D. 1630-1700 or A.D.
1650-1700 date. The olive jar sherds, as has been mentioned, are of a pre A.D.
1750 type, The north-south middle wall was constructed after this floor was laid.
Floor 4 was put down prior to A. D, 1700 and is associated in time with
the ripio wall of the East Section.
The West Section of Room B below Floor 3 was composed of refuse pits
and the recovered cultural material was unsuitable for dating.
Initially in the excavation of this room Floor 1 was removed. Floor 1
was of cement laid during the 1890-1910 period. Under Floor 1 and above Floor
2 occurred sand, brick, cement slabs and other fill used to raise the floor
level before Floor 1 was poured. The surface of Floor 1 had a "terrazzo-like"
surface, being very fine in texture as well as very hard, but brittle. This
cement surface was common in the St. Augustine floors of this period.
After Floor 1 had been removed a north-south middle wall root was dis-
covered. After its appearance the room was divided into East and West sections.
This wall was constructed just prior to the laying of Floor 2 in both sections.
The north-south middle wall was the last wall to be built in the Arri-
vas House. The wall was plastered on both sides prior to the putting down of
Floor 2. (In the photograph Floor 2 is indicated as Floor 3).
Floor 2 that was indicated in the photographs as a floor was not a
floor but a level of rough cement utilized to help raise the level of Floor 1.
Floor 3 was a tabby floor and the thickest of the tabby floors repre-
sented in Room D. It was of a medium quality of tabby. The grade of this tabby
floor was from north to south being 0.05'. The floor levels of the East and
West Sections correlate as to time and elevation.
In correlating the relationship of the earlier floor with the coquina
and ripio (whole shell) walls the following sequence occurred. Tabby Floor 4
was laid down after the placement of the coquina foundation stones. This
floor is tangent to the coquina block and was at 8.11' MSL elevation.
Floor 5 was tangent to the shell wall indicating that the wall was
present before Floor $ was laid and before the coquina walls were in place, and
it correlated with the ripio structure.
Floor 6 was cut through when the shell wall was put in place as this
floor terminates 0.30' south of the wall where the footing trench started.
Therefore Floor 6 represents an earlier house that existed prior to the coquina
wall construction. This floor was also associated with the former ripio build-
In looking at the sequence of wall construction it was seen that the
south wall of the East Section of Room D had a ripio wall foundation that at
its deepest point was 6.08' MSL elevation. This depth was 1.00' deeper than the
ripio of the north wall. The companion wall for the south wall of the East
Section was the south wall of Room B, East Section which also had a ripio wall
at the same level.
The sequence of building construction for this room was as follows:
First a ripio walled structure existed with the south wall of the East Section
being the oldest wall. The north wall either fell down or was torn down and
a coquina wall was constructed here with the other walls remaining ripio. After
a period all of the walls were destroyed to ground level and after a short time
the present coquina walls were built. At a later date the north-south middle
wall was constructed. This wall did not have any doorway.
North Wall--East Doorway
The earliest sill for this doorway was 0.59' belo the surface of
Floor 1, or the cement floor. The elevation of Floor 1 was 9.26' MSL and that
of the sill 8.67' MSL elevation. This level correlates with Floor 3 or after
the second coquina wall was constructed. The sill was 0.26' above the general
South Wall--West Doorway
The sill was 0.60' below the surface of cement Floor 1 or 8.64' MSL
elevation. This doorway was an original doorway associated with the present co-
quina wall and dorrelates with Floor 4.
There was a paucity of cultural material from the various trenches in
Room D. Therefore the dating of the various levels could not be done in any
meaningful way. From an analysis of what materials were present it was noted
that the general chronological sequence was similar to Room B, The majolica
types in all levels--dated, for the most part, from the second half of the 17th
century. The only datable British ceramics present included Queens Ware and
Painted White. Since these occurred in level 2, just under the cement floor
they are of no value for dating.
The de la Rocque map of 1788 showed that the Arrivas House had a
southwestern wing on the rear. At the time of excavation there was no surface
evidence to indicate that such a wing had been present.--
In order to find the walls Trench M was dug and at 12.0' the west wall
was encountered.--The west wall was traced out and the northwest-corner of the
room established. Two east-west walls also appeared.--In the southern section
due to a vast amount of trenching for the placement of iron water pipes and
vent stacks the walls were iAterrupte'd.
In the whole area no tabby floors were found and with the addition of
extensive pitting in the immediate rear of the house no dating of this addition
There is the possibility that at a later date excavation under the
floor of the adjoining building (46 St. George St.) may bring to light additional
walls with tabby floors that may be dated.
The outside and inside walls of this wing were made of partially reduced
shell. This shell was taken from the lime burnings. This wall was hard to in-
terpret and to draw conclusions as to its nature above ground. It appears to
have been too wide and deep to be merely a foundation for a wooden wall, Its
top surface seemed too level and smooth to be the remains of a destroyed wall
or wall ruins and the top surface did not contain evidence of a coquina surface
wall except in one place where a coquina block rested on an east-west wall.
Whether this was a fortuitous placement or not is unknown. Also the uncovered
reduced shell wall appears to have been too deep to be a footing for a coquina
wall. Therefore the nature of the above ground wall is uncertain.
Tabby Patio to North of Arrivas House
An outside tabby area was located to the north of the Arrivas House under
the cement apron that was laid in A. D. 1959. The tabby was interrupted in sec-
tions that formerly was the Craft Shop but remnants were present that indicated
that it extended from the north side of the north wall of the Arrivas House to
12.00' north where it was interrupted by a pipe trench. The tabby extended to
the street curb in the east section. Its westward limits seemed to indicate that
it was on a line even with the rear wall of the house although the evidence was
rather limited due to extensive pitting in this area.
This tabby floor dates from the first half of the 18th century as was
indicated by the culture materials found in excavations under this floor.
Aside from the partially reduced shell walls associated with the Arrivas
House the only significant find was a circular well. This well was excavated
from the outside and also cleaned out to a depth of 7.5' or 2.65' below water
level. Work on this was suspended because no pump was available.
The cultural material from the section cleaned out indicated that the
well was filled in during the 1930-40 period. The date of construction of this
well is unknown at this time.
The history of European architectural structures for the area now oc-
cupied by the present Arrivas House goes back to the 1650-80 period, The first
discernible house was of ripio (whole shell) construction. Eleven feet to the
north of this structure a tabby wall house was present that appears to have been
contemporaneous with the ripio wall house that included Rooms B and C of the
existing Arrivas building.
Additional rooms were added to the initial ripio structure that was
destroyed, either by falling down or being torn dow,,oa. 1725. A structure was
rebuilt on the same wall lines as the ripio house. By 1788 the loggia had been
added as well as the rear wing and the interior north-south middle walls of
rooms B and D.
In the above sequence of building stages three types of walls were uti-
lized: ripio (whole shell), ripio (partially reduced shell) and coquina, both
as ripio and hewn masonry. At the stage of development when Rocque drew his
map the house proper was of dressed coquina block, and ripio (partially reduced
shell) the latter may have been a portion of the rear wing and addition to the
Floors were of tabby throughout the house, although the rear wing and
addition may have had a wooden floor since no evidence of tabby floors was found.
EXCAVATIONS IN ST. GEORGE STREET
A trench was extended into St. George Street in front of Lot 22.
Opposite the House 1 area. Six street levels were discovered. The topmost, or
the present street surface, was of asphalt that overlaid a ceramic brick street,
Before the brick was laid a sand lens was put down. (See figure). The sand
lens overlaid four street levels that were composed of shell rubble.
From the cross-section obtained the water drainage for the street
appeared to have been down its center. If a comparable profile were obtained
from the opposite side of the street it would give a concave street cross-section.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL HOUSES IN BLOCK 12, LOTS 22, 23 & 24
The area designated as the Parking Lot Area upon initial excavation
included that section to the north of the Arrivas House through which trench N--S
(1) was excavated. This trench extended from the cement apron to the north of
the Craft Shop, 10.3' north of TBM1, to the south sidewalk of the Tucker Photo
Shop; or to stake 130.3'. This trench includes Lots 22, 23 and 24 of Block 12.
The initial trench exposed sections of walls, floors and footings of
five houses. The initial house, discovered nearest the TBM1 was designated
House 1 (Lot 22) -- subsequently, at a later date two other houses were found
in this immediate area.--The house to the north of these three was a coquina
structure and corresponds.to de la Rocque's House 44, This house was on lot 22
and part of lot 23. This was called House 2 in the early notes but changed later
to de la Rocque House 44.
The south wall of House 1 occurred in the Craft Shop area with the north
wall being 18.40' north of TBM1. This house was constructed with tabby walls
and had a tabby floor at an elevation of 7.95' MSL.
Along the south wall of the Craft Shop after the cement floor was re-
moved, at an elevation of 8.71' MSL, a 0.40' by 0.60' pine sill ran tangent to
the north side of the north wall of Room D.- At six foot intervals under this
sill were cement shims. This sill was used in a porch structure that was pre-
sent at the turn of the 20th century.
Below the elevation of the pine sill and to the north at an elevation
of 8.21' MSL a tabby wall appeared that ran east and west along the north side
of the north wall of Room D. The tabby wall set on a footing of the same mater-
ial that had an elevation of 7.93' MSL.
This wall was 1.00' from the north side of the north wall of Room D
at the west jamb of the east door. The wall ran at an angle to the coquina wall
and became tangent to it 8.75' west of the west side of the center, or north-
south tabby wall.
Two rooms, as has been indicated, were noted for House 1. The back
room along the south wall measured 15.00' plus or minus 0.50' inside dimension
and the front room was 16.00' plus or minus 1.00'. The north-south dimensions
of this house were 24.40' plus or minus 1.00' inside dimensions.
The inside measurement of the front room is a plus or minus figure
since this room extended out into the present street and itwas impossible to
continue excavations in that area. The other plus or minus figure results from
the fact that the wall evidence for the exposed walls were mostly footings with
no evidence of a clear cut vertical wall structure. Where the tabby wall was
present it averaged .71' thick. The wall was stuccoed on the outer side with
no evidence of stucco on the inner wall surface. The stucco appears to have
been metal floated. In the area of the Craft Shop there were no tabby floors en-
countered, however in the area to the north of the cement apron a tabby floor
occurred' associated with this house.
In the south wall a post hole was found in the wall 4.90' from the cen-
ter of the central north-south wall. This was a rectangloid opening of 0.50'
by 0,80' that had been placed in the ground before the footing or tabby wall.was
forced. This post hole extended down 2.31' below the top of the footing. This
post had a pointed base.
Another post hole occurred 5.00' west of the one described above. This
post hole was circular with a diameter of 0.60' and had a rounded base. The
depth of this post was 2.15' below the top of the footing.
A third post hole occurred at the southwest corner, outside of the tabby
wall 5.65' from the round post hole described above. Since this post hole oc-
curred in a highly disturbed area it was impossible to trace it below the foot-
ing level. The south and north wall footings butted the post and did not sur-
A rear doorway was found 3.50' north of the inside southwest corner.
Only the south jamb was located due to lack of time to continue the excavation.
As is indicated on the sketch, not all of the walls were completely exposed.
This house was built during the A, D. 1650-1700 period or shortly
thereafter. This evidence is based on majolica sherds that were found beneath
the tabby floor.
House 2 was a ripio (whole shell) walled house and was the first of
these three houses (Houses 1-2-3) to be built. Only a section of the north wall
was located and a smaller section of the south wall. These walls had an eleva-
tion of 7.16' and 6.81' MSL respectively. The antiquity of this house was as-
sumed from its position under the walls of House 1 and House 3. House 3 had a
north-south width of 18.80'. The number of rooms or the east-west dimension is
House 3 or chronologically the last house of this group built had ripio
(whole shell) walls which were thicker than those of the other two houses. The
north-south width of this house was 17.60'. As in House 2, due to limited exca-
vations, no knowledge is available as to number of rooms or the east-west dimen-
All of these houses occurred under an outside tabby floor that was asso-
ciated with the Arrivas House. Excavations under the tabby indicated that it
was laid during the first half of the 18th century. Therefore these houses date
from a period prior to this and from evidence under the tabby floor of House 1
a 1650-1700 period was indicated.
House 4 was on Lot 24 of Block B. In the trench through this lot two
ripio (whole shell) walls were located. The inside measurement between the north
and south wall was 15.40'. No floors were located and no dating was possible
with this limited excavation.
De la Rocque 44 House
The de la Rocque 44 house was on lot 22 and part of lot 23 of Block B,
According to de la Rocque's map this house was.composed of three rooms and a
The walls of the two rooms nearest the street and the loggia were par-
tially excavated, however the back room was not located. The walls were con-
structed of shaped coquina blocks.
It was noted that the rooms of this house had tabby floors at 8.67'
MSL and that the structure was destroyed by fire as was evidenced by the red
oxidation of the tabby and the foundation stones. After the fire the house was