FINAL FIELD REPORT
ARCHAEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS OF THE ARRIVAS HOUSE
PRELIMINARY SURVEY OF BLOCK 12, LOTS 22, 23 AND 24
HALE G. SMITH, ARCHAEOLOGIST
ST. AUGUSTINE HISTORICAL RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION
Room B and Room C
Tabby Patio to North of Arrivas House
Excavations in St. George Street
Archaeological Houses in Block 12,
Lots 22, 23 and 24
de la Rocque 44 House
Additional Archaeological Work Needed
To be Done in Block 12, Lots 21, 22, 23 & 24
The archaeological excavations undertaken during the
summer of A. D. 1960 for the St. Augustine Restoration and
Preservation Commission were not intensive or extensive enough
to give the full developmental sequence and cultural picture
of the area investigated.
Due to limitations of time, budget and the schedule
of the restoration of the Arrivas House a second best type
of archaeological investigation was begun. Ideally each room
would have been completely excavated with the removal of all
the floors and intervening fill and/or refuse material. Due
to the above mentioned factors a trench system was inaugura-
ted that would cross section the house from north to south
and east to west and also make it possible to examine most
of the present doorways to the various rooms. In this way
an artifact sample of all major areas was procured and a
chronological sequence of room construction noted. However,
it was found that in certain areas and levels there was a
paucity of datable cultural material. Room D being the best
example. It is possible and highly probable that various
underground architectural features were not discovered and
In the area to the north of the Arrivas House the
excavation was not completed on House 1, 2, 3, 4 and the de
la Rocque 44 house.--Other features, not associated with these
houses were found but time did not allow for a complete exca-
vation, correlation and analysis of the total architectural
complex in time or space.
The student archaeologists assisting in the work
included the following: Ross Morrell, Susan Powell, Pheriba
Stacy, Robert Hall and Suwat Pananon.
When work was first started each room of the Arrivas
House was given a letter designation. Arbitrarily the letter-
ing began with the southernmost room which was designated as
Room A, the one to the north, Room B. Room 0 was a recently
partitioned off section that could not be entered from Room B
when work was begun. However, originally it was part of
Room D was the most northern room included in the
Arrivas House. Since de la Rocque's map indicated a rear
southwest wing to the Arrivas House, the area enclosed by the
walls that were found was designated Room K.
To the north of the Arrivas House and a recent
addition to it was an area called the Craft Shop. This ter-
minology was maintained and designates the area that included
a tabby walled structure, House 1. However this structure
was not a part of the Arrivas House.
The east wall of Rooms A, B, C and D have to date
not been excavated due to the fact that they occur in the
present sidewalk-street area. To speculate from information
that was obtained from an excavation in the street in front
of Lot 22 it can be judged that this wall falls directly
under the present curb line.
The trenching of Room A did not bring to light any
additional wall remains. Four floors were present. Floor 1
(the uppermost) was built during the twentieth century, after
1907. Floors 2 and 3 were superimposed making a thick tabby
area. Floor 2 correlates with Floor 3 of Room B, east section.
Floor 1 was a coarse tabby mixture while Floor 2 was a tabby-
mortar mixture, being brownish in color. The surface of
this floor was sloping and relatively uneven. The Floor 2
area appears to have been outside area with a prepared
tabby-mortar surface that had a north to south grade of 0.45'.
Floors 3 and 4 were 1.06' and 1.28' below the surface
of Floor 1. These two floors were only clearly indicated in
the southeastern corner of the east-west trench at the north-
west corner of the eastern pier of the south wall. The rest
of the area of this room was badly pitted with refuse pits
and a surface roughening of the various strata was present.
A stratum occurred 1.30' below the surface of Floor 1
that was 0.30' thick and showed evidences of a fire. It was
a relatively hard stratum reddish in color with pieces of
charcoal scattered throughout. This fired stratum was found
intermittently throughout the Room A area.
In correlating this stratum with the footing of the
eastern pier of the south wall it was seen that the shell
footing was present before the fire occurred. This indicates
that the shell footing preceded the four floor levels.
From an examination of the various wall profiles it
was discerned that there were five building periods represented
in the various sections of the south wall.
Period 1 Shell piers
Period 2 First coquina wall that contained
a doorway directly opposite the
easternmost doorway between Room A
and B. This stage also was repre-
sented by the east coquina pier.
Period 3 Two coquina piers in the western
half of the south wall.
Period 4 Central pier to support second
Period 5 Low wall of coquina inserted between
east and west piers.
In correlating the floor levels and other strata to
the building periods it was discovered that the burned stratum
was the results of a fire during the Period 1 era and Floor 4
was laid during this time.
Floor 3 was associated with the doorway that was of
Period 2 times. The coquina blocks of this period were not
well trimmed and were wider than those subsequently laid on
this wall at a later date.
Floor 2 correlates with building periods 3, 4 and 5.
Floor 1 was laid to raise the elevation and make a level floor
area. It is probable that the rise in elevation was under-
taken in order to raise the floor above the level of the street.
This floor was laid down after 1907 since an United States of
America half-dollar of this date was discovered under this
In an analysis of the artifacts from the various
levels it was noted that the stratum directly above sterile
soil dates from the A. D. 1700-1725 period or later. The
presence of Puebla Polychrome majolica establishes this date.
In this stratum the only datable materials included three
majolica types: Puebla Polychrome, San Luis Polychrome and
San Augustine Blue on White. In addition to the majolica
dating a complex of three other factors indicates that this
level was of the first Spanish period: this stratum immedi-
ately overlaid sterile soil, its relationship to the archi-
tectural periods and the absence of English ceramic types.
The area below Floor 2 to next to last stratum
before sterile soil dates from A. D. 1750-1800 period as
was indicated by the 18th century English ceramic types pre-
sent and the absence of any of the 19th century types.
From the above evidence correlated with that of the
building periods a date for the initial construction in the
Room A area appears to have been the A. D. 1700-1725 period.
The information that has been compiled was mainly from the
east-west trench along the south wall, therefore the above
picture specifically applies to this area and not directly to
the north wall of Room A.
The only evidence of other possible architectural
features were two post holes. One being a charred round post
0.5' in diameter in the eastern section and the other a 1.0'
squared timber on a line with the west wall of Room B and the
western coquina pier of Room A. The charred round post was
functional when the burned stratum 1.3' below the surface of
Floor 2 was fired. The function of the two posts was not
established since no post pattern was discernable due to the
restricted limits of the excavation.
Room A, Trench B
Trench B was excavated in an attempt to see whether
or not a west wall existed in the loggia area. None was found
outside of a 0.5' x 0.5' pine floor plate that was discovered
extending from the south to the north wall and was associated
with Floor 1, or 20th century construction. The whole area
encompassed by the trench was composed of refuse pits that
had been dug and re-dug. Therefore, the artifacts recovered
were valueless for dating or the establishment of any type
of chronology. This trench did not unearth either floor or
wall remains outside of those directly in Room A.
Room B, East Section; and Room C
The east section of Room B and Room C were one room
until they were divided by a steel lath and plaster partition
constructed about A. D. 1940.
Room B was divided into an East Section and a West
Section after a wooden floor was removed that exposed a
north-south wall 17.70' west of the west street curb of St.
George Street and 16.25' from the rear west wall of Room B.
Ripio (whole shell) was found under the wall forming
the east section of Room B and they extended down to 6.08'
M.S.L. or 3.18' below the top of tabby floor 1. Floor 4 of
the East Section correlated with the ripio wall which was torn
down or fell down before the present coquina walls were con-
In the East Section the topmost tabby floor was
divided into Floor 1 and 2. Initially Floor 1 appeared to be
two floors, however it was soon discovered that the cleavage
represented two stages of pouring only one floor. However the
designation of Floor 1 and 2 for the top floor was continued.
Directly under Floor 2 was a dark humus fill area
overlaying Floor 3. Below Floor 3 was a lighter in color and
more sandy stratum which in turn was directly above Floor 4-
Under Floor 4 there was a stratum that graded off to sterile
soil. Sterile soil throughout this area is yellow sand.
It was noted that there were no trash pits in the
East Section of Rooms B and C. This indicates that this area
was a building site earlier than the other rooms of this house.
Another indication of relatively greater antiquity was the
depth of the ripio (whole shell) walls and the nature of the
ground before the wall trenches were dug. When the trenches
were initially excavated the yellow sand was the surface of
the ground with no humus being present. The vertical sided
trenches were made into this yellow sand and were 1.10' wide
with a plus or minus figure of 0.10'. After the trenches were
finished ripio (whole shell and mortar) were laid down.
Room B, North-South Middle Wall
The north-south middle wall that separated the East
Section from the West Section had a doorway 4.85 to the north
of the south wall. This doorway was ca. 5.70' wide. (A sewer
pipe trench destroyed the north sill area so the 5.70' width
From the south wall of Room B to the doorsill area
of the north-south middle wall were two coquina blocks which
were laid with the bedding plane of the coquina being vertical
rather than horizontal. (These aberrantly laid coquina blocks
are called shiners.) The block nearest the sill was cut so
as to receive the timbers of the door jamb.
Both of these coquina blocks were re-used as plaster
was present on the west vertical side. There was no mortar
on the topside of these blocks as they had been trimmed down
when the wall was removed so that the wooden floor would clear.
The wooden floor was raised on 2" x 4" wooden joists.
This wall correlates with Floor 3 and was built just
prior to the laying of this floor. The wall was 0.68' wide
with the sill stone being 0.30' wide.
On the east side of the north-south middle wall was
a coquina apron that extended from the wall to 1.00' into
the room. This extended from the south wall to 4.91t north.
The coquina apron was 0.20' thick.
After the removal of the coquina blocks of the north-
south middle wall it was found that the coquina apron extended
under the blocks and into the west section of Room B. How
far it extended into the west section is unknown since the
excavations did not penetrate this area beyond 4.0' west of
the north-south middle wall. The coquina was still present
here and continued on. This coquina level was 0.10' below
Floor 3 of the east section of Room B. At the wall the narrow
slabs of coquina rest on mortar which in turn was atop the
ripio wall. This coquina area extended into the west section
of Room B. The coquina in this section was concentrated along
the southern area, or from the south wall to 4.91' north.
Included in the same level occurred brick fragments and other
rubble. In this West Section this material correlates with
the bottom of Floor 3.
Room B, West Section
As has been noted only three floors were present in
this section. The top two being directly superimposed one on
the other. Floors 1 and 2 correlate with Floors 1 and 2 of
the East Section. Also Floor 3 of both sections are of the
same level and time period.
Floor 3 was the floor laid down after the first
coquina structure was built.
The ripio (whole shell) wall found in the East Section
did not extend west of the north-south middle wall.
Below Floor 2 was a large trash pit that at its base
had a clay deposit which was of a residual type. It is possible
that this pit was originally a source of clay for the Indians
in the manufacturing of San Marcos ceramics.
Floor 3 in the west section was of tabby, whose sur-
face appeared as if it had been subject to water erosion as
it did not have a smooth worn surface as other interior floors
possessed. In all appearances it resembles an outside tabby
floor. However it was conclusive that Floor 3 was laid after
the outside coquina walls were constructed. Why the surface
had this texture is unknown.
East Doorway Sill of the South Wall of Room B. (Doorway between
Rooms A & B
The uppermost sill, sill 1, came into existence in
the 18th century when the elevation of Room A was raised to
more closely approximate that of Room B. The floors of the
two rooms involved in the sill at this period were Floor 1 of
Room B and Floor 2 of Room A.
Floor 1 of Room B was 0.70' higher than Floor 2 of
Room A. When Floor 1 of Room B was laid another sill complex
was present. (Floor 1 of Room B was poured to the edge of
the sill stone notch, see below.)
Before Floor 2 of Room A was laid fill was added to
Room A and a 2" x 4" board was placed so that the south edge
of the board was flush with the south side of the sill founda-
tion stone where a notch had already been cut for sill 2 (see
below). The doorway at this time was an outside doorway.
Sill 2 was the earliest and original sill for this
doorway and it correlates with Floor 3 of Room B. Floor 3
was 0.50' below the top of the sill foundation stone.
The sill stones were 0.58' high and 0.95' wide. A
notch 0.20' deep and 0.30' wide was cut out of the south side
the width of the doorway. These stones were in line as to
thickness with the wall.
Sill 2 was a raised doorsill with a step down from
the sill into Room B. This was a step down of 0.30'.
In Room A there was a tabby area which sloped gradually up
to the sill stone. The slope from a more or less level pre-
pared for walking to the sill was 0.45'.
East Doorway of North Wall of Room C between Rooms C and D
During the last period of construction this doorway
was not used. Since the Room C area had been sealed off by
partitions between Rooms B-C and C-D. These partitions were
built during the A. D. 1940 period and Room C became a stairway
Floor 1 of Room D was of cement and was laid when the
20th century stairway of Room C was installed, or shortly
thereafter. The elevation of this floor was 9.26' plus or
minus 0.04'. This raised the elevation of this floor to
0.35' above that of Room C. Therefore Sill 1 was not a sill
in the strict sense of the word since the area was blockedooff.
Sill 2, below Sill 1, correlates with Floor 2 of
Room D whose elevation was 0.20' above Floor 1 of Room C.
This sill was utilized during two building stages (see Sill 3
below). It was noted that by Sill 2 times the original door
jambs had already been narrowed by filling each side with co-
quina blocks and mortared rubble. On the east side of the door-
way at the junction of the jamb and the sill was a coquina
block that was cut so that it was level with Floor 2, and in
line with the contoured jamb above. There was plaster on
the west side of this block that may have dated later than
the plaster on the north side of the sill.
Sill 2 correlates with Floor 2 of Room D and was,
like Floor 1, laid down after Room C had been sealed off.
The door seal occurred on the south of the door jamb. Both
Floor 1 and 2 of Room D were poured at this point.
The north side of the sill was plastered with the
plaster being continuous with that of the wall. The plaster
was applied prior to the laying of Floor 2. The sill itself
was composed of coquina blocks laid in mortar, 0.45' high
and 0.60, wide.
As has been mentioned during Sill 2 times the jambs
had already been narrowed. When Sill 3 was used the whole
width of the original doorway was utilized. This sill
correlates with Floor 1 of Room C and Floor 3 of Room D. The
sill was flush with the floor levels.
Sill 4 correlates with Floor 2 of Room C and Floor 4
of Room D and is the earliest sill since prior to the coquina
walled structure, during the ripio wall period, there was no
doorway at this point. This doorway since its inception probably
was an inside doorway.
Elevations-- Sill 1 9.26 MSL
Sill 2 9.06 MSL
Sill 3 8.78 MSL
Sill 4 8.16 MSL
Chronology from Artifacts
In a dating of the various floor levels of Room B
the initial stratum that yielded cultural material was the
dark humus level under Floors 1 and 2 of both the East and
West sections. The following datable artifacts were found:
Aucilla Polychrome majolica, Tallahassee Blue on White ma-
jolica, Puebla Polychrome majolica, San Luis Blue on White
majolica, Puebla Blue on White majolica, Queen's Ware and
pre-1750 olive jar sherds.
From this assemblage it is indicated that Floors 1
and 2 (top floor) were laid after A. D. 1750 and before
A. D. 1800.
From an analysis of the sherds in level 5 it was
seen that Floor 3 was laid during the first Spanish period or
between A. D. 1700-1750. The key sherds for this dating being
San Augustin Blue on White majolica that dates from A. D.
1700-1730. The other majolica types bear an A. D. 1630-1700
or A. D. 1650-1700 date. The olive jar sherds, as has been
mentioned, are of a pre A. D. 1750 type. The north-south
middle wall was constructed after this floor was laid.
Floor 4 was put down prior to A. D. 1700 and is
associated in time with the ripio wall of the East Section.
The West Section of Room B below Floor 3 was composed
of refuse pits and the recovered cultural material was un-
suitable for dating.
Initially in the excavation of this room Floor 1 was
removed. Floor 1 was of cement laid during the 1890-1910
period. Under Floor 1 and above Floor 2 occurred sand, brick,
cement slabs and other fill used to raise the floor level be-
fore Floor 1 was poured. The surface of Floor 1 had a "terrazzo-
like" surface, being very fine in texture as well as very hard,
but brittle. This cement surface was common in the St.
Augustine floors of this period.
After Floor 1 had been removed a north-south middle
wall root was discovered. After its appearance the room was
divided into East and West sections. This wall was constructed
just prior to the laying of Floor 2 in both sections.
The north-south middle wall was the last wall to be
built in the Arrivas House. The wall was plastered on both
sides prior to the putting down of Floor 2. (In the photo-
graph Floor 2 is indicated as Floor 3).
Floor 2 that was indicated in the photographs as
a floor was not a floor but a level of rough cement utilized
to help raise the level of Floor 1.
Floor 3 was a tabby floor and the thickest of the
tabby floors represented in Room D. It was of a medium
quality of tabby. The grade of this tabby floor was from
north to south being 0.05'. The floor levels of the East
and West Sections correlate as to time and elevation.
In correlating the relationship of the earlier floor
with the coquina and ripio (whole shell) walls the follow-
ing sequence occurred. Tabby Floor 4 was laid down after
the placement of the coquina foundation stones. This floor
is tangent to the coquina block and was at 8.11' MSL
Floor 5 was tangent to the shell wall indicating
that the wall was present before Floor 5 was laid and before
the coquina walls were in place, and it correlated with the
Floor 6 was cut through when the shell wall was put
in place as this floor terminates 0.30' south of the wall
where the footing trench started. Therefore Floor 6 repre-
sents an earlier house that existed prior to the coquina wall
construction. This floor was also associated with the former
In looking at the sequence of wall construction it
was seen that the south wall of the East Section of Room D
had a ripio wall foundation that at its deepest point was
6.08' MSL elevation. This depth was 1.00' deeper than the
ripio of the north wall. The companion wall for the south
wall of the East Section was the south wall of Room B, East
Section which also had a ripio wall at the same level.
The sequence of building construction for this room
was as follows: first a ripio walled structure existed with
the south wall of the East Section being the oldest wall.
The north wall either fell down or was torn down and a coquina
wall was constructed here with the other walls remaining ripio.
After a period all of the walls were destroyed to ground level
and after a short time the present coquina walls were built.
At a later date the north-south middle wall was constructed.
This wall did not have any doorway.
North Wall--East Doorway
The earliest sill for this doorway was 0.59' below
the surface of Floor 1, or the cement floor. The elevation of
Floor 1 was 9.26' MSL and that of the sill 8.67' MSL elevation.
This level correlates with Floor 3 or after the second coquina
wall was constructed. The sill was 0.26' above the general
South Wall--West Doorway
The sill was 0.60' below the surface of cement
Floor 1 or 8.64' MSL elevation. This doorway was an original
doorway associated with the present coquina wall and corre-
lates with Floor 4.
There was a paucity of cultural material from the
various trenches in Room D. Therefore the dating of the
various levels could not be done in any meaningful way. From
an analysis of what materials were present it was noted that
the general chronological sequence was similar to Room B.
The majolica types in all levels--dated, for the most part,
from the second half of the 17th century. The only datable
British ceramics present included Queens Ware and Painted
White. Since these occurred in level 2, just under the cement
floor they are of no value for dating.
The de la Rocque map of 1788 showed that the Arrivas
House had a southwestern wing on the rear. At the time of
excavation there was no surface evidence to indicate that
such a wing had been present.--
In order to find the walls Trench M was dug and at
12.0' the west wall was encountered.--The west wall was
traced out and the northwest corner of the room established.
Two east-west walls also appeared.--In the southern section
due to a vast amount of trenching for the placement of iron
water pipes and vent stacks the walls were interrupted.
In the whole area no tabby floors were found and
with the addition of extensive pitting in the immediate rear
of the house no dating of this addition was possible.
There is the possibility that at a later date exca-
vation under the floor of the adjoining building (46 St.
George St.) may bring to light additional walls with tabby
floors that may be dated.
The outside and inside walls of this wing were made
of partially reduced shell. This shell was taken from the
lime burnings. This wall was hard to interpret and to draw
conclusions as to its nature above ground. It appears to
have been too wide and deep to be merely a foundation for a
wooden wall. Its top surface seemed too level and smooth
to be the remains of a destroyed wall or wall ruins and the
top surface did not contain evidence of a coquina surface
wall except in one place where a coquina block rested on an
east-west wall. Whether this was a fortuitous placement or
not is unknown. Also the uncovered reduced shell wall appears
to have been too deep to be a footing for a coquina wall.
Therefore the nature of the above ground wall is uncertain.
Tabby Patio to North of Arrivas House
An outside tabby area was located to the north of
the Arrivas House under the cement apron that was laid in
A. D. 1959. The tabby was interrupted in sections that for-
merly was the Craft Shop but remnants were present that
indicated that it extended from the north side of the north
wall 6f the Arrivas House to 12.00' north where it was
interrupted by a pipe trench. The tabby extended to the
street curb in the east section. Its westward limits seemed
to indicate that it was on a line even with the rear wall of
the house although the evidence was rather limited due to
extensive pitting in this area.
This tabby floor dates from the first half of the
18th century as was indicated by the culture materials found
in excavations under this floor.
Aside from the partially reduced shell walls asso-
ciated with the Arrivas douse the only significant find was
a circular well.--This well was excavated from the outside
and also cleaned out to a depth of 7.5' or 2.65' below water
level. Work on this was suspended because no pump was
The cultural material from the section cleaned out
indicated that the well was filled in during the 1930-40
period. The date of construction of this well is unknown at
The history of European architectural structures for
the area now occupied by the present Arrivas House goes back
to the 1650-80 period. The first discernible house was of
ripio (whole shell) construction. Eleven feet to the north
of this structure a tabby wall house was present that appears
to have been contemporaneous with the ripio wall house that
included Rooms B and C of the existing Arrivas building.
Additional rooms were added to the initial ripio
structure that was destroyed, either by falling down or being
torn down, ca. 1725. A structure was rebuilt on the same
wall lines as the ripio house. By 1788 the loggia had been
added as well as the rear wing and the interior north-south
middle walls of rooms B and D.
In the above sequence of building stages three types
of walls were utilized: ripio (whole shell), ripio (partially
reduced shell) and coquina, both as ripio and hewn masonry.
At the stage of development when Rocque drew his map the house
proper was of dressed coquina block, and ripio (partially
reduced shell) the latter may have been a portion of the rear
wing and addition to the house proper.
Floors were of tabby throughout the house, although
the rear wing and addition may have had a wooden floor since
no evidence of tabby floors was found.
ST. GEORGE STREET
St. George Street Excavations
A trench was extended into St. George Street in front
of Lot 22. Opposite the House 1 area. Six street levels were
discovered. The topmost, or the present street surface, was
of asphalt that overlaid a ceramic brick street. Before the
brick was laid a sand lens was put down. (See figure). The
sand lens overlaid four street levels that were composed of
From the cross-section obtained the water drainage
for the street appeared to have been down its center. If a
comparable profile were obtained from the opposite side of
the street it would give a concave street cross-section.
IN BLOCK 12, LOTS 22, 23 & 24
Archaeological Houses in Block 12, Lots 22, 23 & 24
The area designated as the Parking Lot Area upon
initial excavation included that section to the north of the
Arrivas House through which trench N-S (1) was excavated.
This trench extended from the cement apron to the north of
the Craft Shop, 10.3' north of TBM1, to the south sidewalk
of the Tucker Photo Shop; or to stake 130.3'. This trench
includes Lots 22, 23 and 24 of Block 12.
The initial trench exposed sections of walls, floors
and footings of five houses. The initial house, discovered
nearest the TBM1 was designated House 1 (Lot 22) -- subse-
quently, at a later date two other houses were found in this
immediate area.--The house to the north of these three was a
coquina structure and corresponds to de la Rocque's House 44.
This house was on lot 22 and part of lot 23. This was called
House 2 in the early notes but changed later to de la Rocque
The south wall of House 1 occurred in the Craft Shop
area with the north wall being 18.40' north of TBM1. This
house was constructed with tabby walls and had a tabby floor
at an elevation of 7.95' MSL.
Along the south wall of the Craft Shop after the
cement floor was removed, at an elevation of 8.71' MSL,
a 0.40' by 0.601 pine sill ran tangent to the north side of
the north wall of Room D. At six foot intervals under this
sill were cement shims. This sill was used in a porch
structure that was present at the turn of the 20th century.
Below the elevation of the pine sill and to the
north at an elevation of 8.21' MSL a tabby wall appeared that
ran east and west along the north side of the north wall of
Room D. The tabby wall set on a footing of the same material
that had an elevation of 7.93' MSL.
This wall was 1.00' from the north side of the north
wall of Room D at the west jamb of the east door. The wall
ran at an angle to the coquina wall and became tangent to it
8.75' west of the west side of the center, or north-south
Two rooms, as has been indicated, were noted for
House 1. The back room along the south wall measured 15.001
plus or minus 0.50t inside dimension and the front room was
16.00' plus or minus 1.00'. The north-south dimensions of
this house were 24.40' plus or minus 1.00' inside dimensions.
The inside measurement of the front room is a plus
or minus figure since this room extended out into the present
street and it was impossible to continue excavations in that
area. The other plus or minus figure results from the fact
that the wall evidence for the exposed walls were mostly
footings with no evidence of a clear cut vertical wall structure.
Where the tabby wall was present it averaged .71' thick.
The wall was stuccoed on the outer side with no evidence of
stucco on the inner wall surface. The stucco appears to have
been metal floated. In the area of the Craft Shop there were
no tabby floors encountered, however in the area to the north
of the cement apron a tabby floor occurred associated with
In the south wall a post hole was found in the wall
4.90' from the center of the central north-south wall. This
was a rectangloid opening 0.50' by 0.80' that had been placed
in the ground before the footing or tabby wall was formed.
This post hole extended down 2.31' below the top of the foot-
ing. This post had a pointed base.
Another post hole occurred 5.00' west of the one
described above. This post hole was circular with a diameter
of 0.60' and had a rounded base. The depth of this post was
2.15' below the top of the footing.
A third post hole occurred at the southwest corner,
outside of the tabby wall 5.65' from the round post hole
described above. Since this post hole occurred in a highly
disturbed area it was impossible to trace it below the footing
level. The south and north wall footings butted the post
and did not surround it.
A rear doorway was found 3.50' north of the inside
southwest corner.--Only the south jamb was located due to
lack of time to continue the excavation. As is indicated on
the sketch, not all of the walls were completely exposed.
This house was built during the A. D. 1650-1700
period or shortly thereafter. This evidence is based on
majolica sherds that were found beneath the tabby floor.
House 2 was a ripio (whole shell) walled house and
was the first of these three houses (Houses 1-2-3) to be
built. Only a section of the north wall was located and a
smaller section of the south wall. These walls had an eleva-
tion of 7.16' and 6.81' MSL respectively. The antiquity of
this house was assumed from its position under the walls of
House 1 and House 3. House 3 had a north-south width of
18.80'. The number of rooms or the east-west dimension is
House 3 or chronologically the last house of this
group built had ripio (whole shell) walls which were thicker
than those of the other two houses. The north-south width
of this house was 17.60'. As in House 2, due to limited
excavations, no knowledge is available as to number of rooms
or the east-west dimension.
All of these houses occurred under an outside tabby
floor that was associated with the Arrivas House. Excavations
under the tabby indicated that it was laid during the first
half of the 18th century. Therefore these houses date from
a period prior to this and from evidence under the tabby
floor of House 1 a 1650-1700 period was indicated.
House 4 was on Lot 24 of Block B. In the trench
through this lot two ripio (whole shell) walls were located.
The inside measurement between the north and south wall was
15.40t. No floors were located and no dating was possible
with this limited excavation.
De La Rocque 44 House
The de la Rocque 44 house was on lot 22 and part of
lot 23 of Block B. According to de la Rocque's map this house
was composed of three rooms and a loggia area.
The walls of the two rooms nearest the street and
the loggia were partially excavated, however the back room
was not located. The walls were constructed of shaped coquina
It was noted that the rooms of this house had tabby
floors at 8.67' MSL and that the structure was destroyed by
fire as was evidenced by the red oxidation of the tabby
and the foundation stones. After the fire the house was not
ADDITIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL WORK NEEDED TO BE DONE IN BLOCK 12,
LOTS 21, 22, 23 and 24.
1. Complete exposing the walls of Rocque House 44.
2. Excavate under unbroken tabby sections in order to
obtain a date for Rocque House 44.
3. Determine, if possible, type of construction of back room
of Rocque House 44.
4. Determine the configuration of Houses 1, 2, 3 & 4.
5. Complete clearing out of well in Trench M.
6. Excavation of sidewalk area in front of the Arrivas House.
7. Attempt to find extension of Room K southward into
present Restoration office building.
8. Further trenching in back yard of Arrivas House outside
of Room K.
A Arrivas House B.F. Below Floor
B Other Areas B.S. Below Surface
Cat. No. Room Trench Sec. Level Remarks
A 1 A B 0 1 Under cement. 0.27' B.S.
A 2 D A 0 2 Under cement, shell fill
to 0.61' B.F.
A 3 D A 0 1 Cement 0.15' Thick
A 4 A B 1 2 0.50' Thick, Base 0.77'
A 5 A B 1 3 0.77' to 1.35'
A 6 A B 1 4 1.35' to 1.85'
A 7 A B 2 1 Under tabby 0.5' Level
A 8 D A 0 3 Under shell fill of floor 2.
(0.08' thick to 0.69' B.F.)
A 9 D A 0 4 Tabby floor 2, 0.11' thick
Down to 0.80t B.F.
A 10 D A 0 5 Dirt and shell 0.38' thick.
Down to 1.18'
A 11 A B 2' 1 0.62' Below N.E. corner of
A 12 A- B 2 2 Down to 0.71'
A 13 D A 0 6 Tabby floor 3, 0.09' thick.
A 14 D A 0 7 Clay--sand and dark humus
A 15 A B- 2 3 Down below floor 3 to 1.3'
below top floor 1.
A 16 D A 0 8 Tabby floor 4
A 17 A B 1 & 2 4 From 1.25' to 1.75'
A 18 D A 0 9 Brick humus and oyster.
A 19 A B 1 & 2 5 From 1.75' to 2.25'
A 20 A B 1 & 2 6 From 2.25' to 2.75'
A 21 A B 1 & 2 Pit South section of trench,
cleaned to base.
Archaeological Catalogue (2)
Room Trench Sec. Level
North section of trench
cleaned to base.
Tabby floor 5 0.101 thick.
Black humus, 1.86' below surface
Yellow sand, 2.2' B.S.
Trench--10.3' north of TBM1--
Level 1.0' deep.
Surface to 2.0'
Surface to 2.0'
Surface to 1.0'
Surface to 1.0'
Surface to 2.0'
1.0' to 2.0'
Same as B-30
Surface to 1.0'
Archaeological Catalogue (3
Wall and footing area--extended
Modern tile trench
Dirt on top of tabby between
wooden floor and tabby
0.18' to 0.60'
0.1l4 to 0.52'
0.68' to 1.08'
Pit area dark humus. (In level 6
mound of refuse covered with
Archaeological Catalogue (4)
Same as B. 80
2.40' below floor brick and other
Trench to W. of Trench A.
Pit in floor 3--in front of
west doorway E-W trench
along south wall Room D
Area between tabby wall and
N. wall Room D.
From west coquina wall
Arrivas House 0.0'-1.0'
Well--surface to 1.0'
Area beneath tabby (only
chance for dating house.)
de la Rocque #44
1.0' to sterile soil
1.0' to sterile soil
Archaeological Catalogue (5)
110.3 to 2
1?0.3 to 2
Exploring trench, near
trench B, Room A.
Craft shop West 5
Craft shop 1
Under tabby floor north patio Arrivas House (East Section)
Under tabby floor north pationArrivas House (West Section)