Title: Anderson, J. Patton to Captain R.M. Hood – Apr. 17, 1862 to Corinth, MS – Report on the Battle of Shiloh
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00085656/00002
 Material Information
Title: Anderson, J. Patton to Captain R.M. Hood – Apr. 17, 1862 to Corinth, MS – Report on the Battle of Shiloh
Physical Description: Archival
Language: English
Creator: Anderson, J. Patton
Baker, Christopher A. ( Transcriber )
Publication Date: 1862
Subject: Civil War
Spatial Coverage: North America -- Tennessee -- Shiloh
North America -- United States of America -- Florida
North America -- United States of America -- Tennessee
North America -- United States of America
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00085656
Volume ID: VID00002
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: 30jc


This item has the following downloads:

00030jc ( PDF )

Full Text

Head Quarters 2nd Brigade, Ruggles Division
2nd Army Corp Army of the Mississippi
Corinth, Miss. April 17th 1862

I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by my Brigade in
the late action of the 6th and 7th of April at Shiloh near the Tennessee River.
On the night of the 4th in his tent near Mickey's house, General Bragg developed
to the Division and Brigade Commanders, the plan of the proposed attack upon the
enemy's forces encamped at and around Shiloh Church. By this plan, Ruggles' Division
was to form the left of the second line of battle its left resting upon Owl Creek and right
on or near the Bank road. My Brigade (the 2nd of Ruggles' Division) was to compose a
reserve of the Division, occupying a position several hundred yards in rear of the centre
of the Division, for the purpose of supporting the right or left as occasion might require -
At the same time sufficient interval between the 1st and 3rd brigades of this Division was
left to admit of my deploying forward into line, should such movement be found
The furious storms which raged during the greater portion of the night of the 4th
prevented the movement of the army from its bivouac at Mickey's until some time
beyond the hour designated by Genl. Bragg. Though my Brigade was ready to march at 3
o'clock AM of the 5th & was so reported to the Div. Commander. At about 3 o'clock
P.M. of the 5th my Brigade took its position in the column on the Bank road marching left
in front, in the direction of Shiloh. The road was much blocked up by the trains of
wagons and artillery attached to Corps in front. In order to reach my position in the
designated line of battle at the hour indicated in the plan, I left the main road, taking a
course through the woods parallel [parallel] to the road, passing other trains and Brigades
till the way was found open, only a short distance from the point at which I was to file off
to the left & form line at right angles, or nearly so, with the Bank road on which the
column was moving. This point was reached by the head of my column at about 4 P.M.
on the 5th inst., Col Pond commanding the 3rd Brigade Ruggles Division having preceded
me in the direction of Owl Creek. After leaving the bank road & following Col. Pond's
command about half a mile I found his rear halted & his line being formed. Meeting
Genl. Bragg at this point he gave me some directions as to the formation, rectifying in
some measure the line formed by Col. Pond. Soon after this I met Brigadier General
Ruggles commanding the Division who substantially reiterated Genl. Bragg's instructions
which I was in the act of carrying out. I formed the Brigade two hundred & seventy
yards in rear of the centre of the Division in column at half distance doubled on the centre
- My right & left respectively half masked by the left & right of the 1st & 3rd Brigades.
After posting an adequate guard, arms were stacked & the troops bivouacked on their
lines. The night was clear, the air cool and bracing quite in contrast with the previous
At 4 A.M. the 6th inst the men were aroused without fife or drum and silently but
promptly resumed their arms and took their places, ready for the order to move forward.
This order was soon received and promptly acted upon. At this time the second line of
battle (of which my Brigade composed a reserve on the left) was supposed to be about
1000 yards in rear of the Ist of Genl. Hardee's line. We had not moved forward over half

this distance however, till I discovered that we were approaching within two or three
hundred yards of it, having taken the step & direction from the 1st Brigade (Col. Gibson)
on my right. I also discovered at this time that the right of Col. Pond's (the 3rd) Brigade
had not yet taken up the line of march. A few moments previous, I had received an order
from Genl. Bragg through one of his staff, to close the interval in front of me by forming
on Col. Gibson's left. This had been executed before we halted a moment to allow Genl.
Hardee's line to regain its proper interval. Both lines were soon in motion again and
before proceeding far a few scattering musket shots were heard apparently about half a
mile to our right and after a short interval one or two volleys succeeded, the sound
coming in the same direction. Occasional reports were now heard along our right and
center and seemed to be gradually extending towards our left. At this time my Brigade
was marching in line of battle in the following order from right to left viz. The 17th
Regiment of La. Vols. Commanded by Lt. Col. Charles Jones The Confederate Guards
Response] Battalion (2 companies) Major Franklin H. Clack The Florida Battalion (4
companies) Major T.A. McDonell the 9th Texas Infantry Col. W.A. Stanley & the 20th
Regt. La Vols. Col. August Reichard. The 5th Company Washington Artillery Capt. W.
Irving Hodgson commanding following the centre as near as the nature of the ground
would permit, ready to occupy an interval either between the Fla. Batt. and 9th Texas or
between the 9th Texas and 20th La. as necessity or convenience might require. The whole
composing a force of men.
The engagement had now fairly commenced on the right, and that portion of
Major Genl. Hardee's line to which we were now moving up by order of Genl. Bragg -
were sharply engaging the enemy's skirmishers. The face of the country at this front
consisting of alternate hills & boggy ravines, overgrown with heavy timber & thick
underbrush, presented features remarkably favorable for the operations of skillful
skirmishers. Our impetuous volunteers charged them, however, wherever they appeared
and drove them back from every cover, back to their lines near the first camp met with on
the Bank road leading towards Pittsburg. Here the enemy, having greatly the advantage
of position for both his infantry & artillery, made a more creditable stand. A battery of
his field pieces was in position on the height of a domineering hill, from four to six
hundred yards in front of our lines commanding his camp and the approaches to it.
Immediately in our front, and between us & this Battery, ran a boggy ravine, the narrow
swamp of which was thickly overgrown with various species of shrubs, saplings & vines,
so densely interwoven as to sometimes require the use of the knife to enable the footmen
to pass. Over this the enemy's battery had a full field of fire upon our whole lines as we
descended the declivity terminating in the swamp, and on the opposite skirt of the swamp
his infantry had all the advantages presented by such shelter on the one side and obstacles
on the other. This ravine and its accompanying obstacles could be avoided on the right,
but my position in the line required dislodgement of the enemy from his cover before
risking a movement in that direction, lest he should fall upon my flank & rear before I
could make the circuit of the swamp & hill to reach him where he was. The most
favorable position attainable by our field pieces was selected and Capt Hodgson was
directed to open fire upon the enemy's battery (now playing vigorously upon us) with
solid shot & schrapnell, and when occasion offered without danger to our own troops, to
use canister upon his infantry. This order was obeyed with alacrity. Taking advantage of
this diversion in our favor, the infantry was directed to press through the swamp and

drive the enemy before until Capt. Hodgson could either silence his battery or an
opportunity presented of taking it with the bayonet. The movement was made with spirit
& vigor. As my left reached the thicket at the ravine a regiment on our left & front which
had been unable to cross the branch came back in some confusion breaking the lines of
the 20th La. and causing similar confusion in its ranks. Both were soon however
reformed and the 20th La. (Col. Reichard) regained its proper position in line & forced its
way across the swamp under a heavy fire from the enemy. At this time the most of my
right the 17th La., the Conf. Guard & Fla. Batt. had crossed the branch and made a
charge up a hill into the edge of the enemy's camp but his battery was playing upon them
with such vigor that they fell back in order a short distance to a point where they were
sheltered by the brow of the hill. The fire from the enemy's battery was now perceptibly
diminishing and by Capt. Hodgson's superior practice was soon entirely silent. Our
infantry in the mean time had crossed the boggy ravine, pressed up the hill on the other
side, driving the enemy from his camp & reaching the battery in time to pour several
rounds into the ranks of the fleeing cannoniers and their supports right & left. The action
now became general as was evidenced by the unremitting roll of small arms and artillery
along the whole line. In the attack upon the camp just alluded to, and the taking of the
battery, my command had assumed a position in the front line, availing itself for this
purpose of an interval nearly in front of us in our first line of battle. After passing their
first battery, and pushing them through their 2nd and third camps into the fourth, the
enemy made a more obstinate resistance being favored in this, by the nature of the
ground. Once and again our volunteers nobly responded to the order to dislodge him.
The odds in numbers were in his favor, as well the advantage in position, but as comrade
after comrade fell by his side, each Confederate seemed to be inspired with fresh courage
and determination to win the fight or loose his life. At one time the lines upon my right
wavered and seemed to give way for a moment, but a waive of the hat to my own Brigade
(the voice could not be heard) seemed well understood. And the command "forward"
which it implied was most gallantly executed. Again the lines of the enemy gave way but
a battery to our front and left now disclosed itself in heavy fire upon our center and right.
About this time each command in the Brigade lost several gallant officers and many not
less gallant men. Lieut. W.M.R. Jordan temporarily attached to my staff was struck on
the hip with a minie ball and had to leave the field, but soon returned, having received no
further injury than a severe contusion, causing partial paralysis for a time. A short time
before this Capt. H.D. Bulkeley [Bulkley] also attached to my staff, had his horse shot
under him & returned for a while to procure another. The sun was adding his almost
vertical rays to the heat of battle. I dispatched [an aid ?] Lt. Davidson to the rear to order
up a battery and withdrew the infantry a short distance to better shelter. The artillery
gained a favorable position in a few moments, perhaps before Lt. Davidson had had time
to deliver my order and lost no time in opening fire upon its antagonist. The infantry
was brought up again on the right of the battery at supporting distance held its fire till a
favorable moment arrived, when a few well-directed volleys, followed by a shout and a
charge to the front, caused the enemy to again give way in some confusion, leaving his
battery behind. It is entirely out of my power to give a circumstantial account of all the
operations of the command during the remainder of this day's work. Our movements
were all onward. Meeting one of General Bragg's aids about this time, I remarked to him
that from the position originally assigned me that of a reserve I had worked my way

into the frontline. In a few moments he passed again and said, "No difference, the
General desires you to go wherever the fight is thickest." The enemy's fire in front and
to our left, was now evidently diminishing. Not so however on our right. I therefore
determined to swing around on my right and endeavour to press the enemy's right centre
back upon his right where General Hardee's invincible columns were driving him
towards the river. One of his Batteries lay immediately in our front, concealed by a dense
undergrowth and sharp ravine in front. In approaching it I met Col. Smith of the Crescent
Regiment who had become detached from his Brigade, and now proposed to unite with
mine, to which I gladly consented and directed him to form on my left. After consulting
together for a few moments and making some inquiry of General Gardner who was
passing at the moment and who had reconnoitred the ground in the vicinity of the battery
which lay in our front, & which by this time was getting our range pretty well I
determined to move around to my right a short distance, letting Col. Smith's go to the
left, and from the positions, thus gained, to make a simultaneous movement upon the
infantry supporting the Battery while a section of our own field pieces engaged them in
front. In moving forward through the thick underbrush before alluded to, I met a portion
of a La. Regiment (13th I think) returning, and the officers informed me that I could not
get through the brush. I pushed forward however and had crossed the ravine and
commenced the ascent of the opposite slope when a galling fire from infantry and
canister from Howitzers swept through my ranks with deadly effect. The thicket was so
dense that it was impossible for a company officer to be seen at platoon distance. The
enemy's canister was particularly well directed and the range being that of musketry
was well calculated to test the pluck of the sternest. So far as I was enabled to observe,
however, there was no consternation or dismay in our ranks. The 20th La. suffered most,
its gallant Colonel having his horse shot and many of its rank & file meeting soldier's
deaths. The fell back, fighting as they retired, to a point from fifty to a hundred yards in
the rear, where the brow of a hill afforded shelter from the canister. I hurried
reconnaissance, revealed a point from which the enemy could be more advantageously
assailed. Lieut. Davidson of my staff was dispatched to Genl. Ruggles, not so far off,
with a request that he would send up a few pieces of artillery to a position indicated
whence a vigorous fire I felt confident would soon silence the battery which was the
main obstacle to our onward movement. Changing my position somewhat to suit the
circumstances (several officers of the 20th La. having reported to me that their men were
unable to make another charge by reason of the complete state of exhaustion to which
they had arrived) I determined to make another effort to dislodge the enemy from his
position, with what of my command was left. General Ruggles had now placed our
battery in position Col. Smith of the Crescent Regt. had driven the enemy's
sharpshooters from the cover of a log cabin & a few cotton bales on the extreme left and
near the road. And the enemy was being sorely pressed upon the extreme right by our
columns on that flank, and I felt the importance of pressing forward at this point. The
troops too seemed to be inspired with the same feeling. Our battery opened rapidly but
every shot told. To the command "forward," the infantry responded with a shout and in
less than five minutes after our artillery had commenced playing, and before the infantry
had advanced within short range of the enemy's lines, we had the satisfaction of seeing
his proud banner lowered, and a white one hoisted in its stead. Our troops on the right
had been engaging a portion of his lines unseen by us on account of an intervening hill,

and when the white flag was run up, they reached it first. The sun was now near the
western horizon, the battle around us had ceased to rage. I met General Ruggles who
directed me to take a road which was not far to my left, and to move down it in the
direction of the River. I had not proceeded far when overtaking me he ordered a halt till
some artillery could be taken to the front when he would give me further directions.
Soon after halting several Brigades composing portions of General Polk's and Hardee's
command filed across the road in front of me and moved off to the left at a right angle to
the road, and commenced forming line of battle in an open field and woods beyond.
Several batteries passed down the road in the direction of Pittsburg. One soon returned
and filed off into the field where the infantry was forming. The enemy's Gunboats now
opened fire. General Ruggles directed me to move forward a short distance, and by
inclining to the right, to gain a little hollow which would probably afford better
protection for my men against shell, than the position I then occupied. I gained the
hollow and called a halt ordering the men to take cover being [behind] the hill and
near a little ravine which traversed the hollow. We occupied this position some ten or
fifteen minutes, when one of Genl. Ruggles staff directed me to retire to the enemy's
camps beyond the range of his floating guns. In filing off from this position several men
were killed and many wounded by the exploding shells of the enemy. It was now
twilight. As soon as we had placed a hill between us and the Gunboats, the troops moved
slowly and apparently with reluctance from the direction of the River. It was eight
o'clock at night before we had reached a bivouac near General Bragg's headquarters, and
in the darkness of the night, the 20th La. and portions of the 17th La. & Confederate
Guards got separated from that portion of command with which I was, and encamped on
the other ground. By the assistance of my staff the whereabouts of the whole command
was ascertained before we slept. I reported in person to General Ruggles who gave some
directions in regard to collecting in the stragglers, and requested that I should report to
him again if anything of importance occurred during the night. I retired to the bivouac
which was in an open field and apple orchard near the Big Spring. I had purposely
avoided the enemy's tents fearing the effect which their rich spoils might produce upon
hungry and exhausted troops. Before twelve o'clock one of those terrific rainstorms, to
which we had so frequently been exposed of late, set in with pitiless vehemence, which
was scarcely abated till dawn of day. With my saddle for a seat and a blanket thrown
over me I sat all night at the root of an apple tree. My staff and troops cheerfully partook
in the same fare.
Soon after daylight on Monday morning (the 7th) I received orders from both
Generals Bragg and Ruggles, through their staff officers, to hold myself in readiness to
move out and meet the enemy. I hastened to make preparations accordingly. The
command was marched off from its bivouac by the right flank, in the direction of
Pittsburg, and after proceeding about a half mile was formed in line of battle on the right
of some Tennessee troops, believed to belong to General Cheatham's command. Some
delay was had at this point by the constant arrival of troops in fragments of Brigades
Regiments and Companies. A portion of the 20th La., the Confederate Guards Battalion
and 9th Texas regiments, had become detached from my immediate command by
permitting other troops to cut them out in the march and in falling into line. A line of
battle was however formed and a forward movement commenced. By this time our
skirmishers on the right had engaged those of the enemy, but no general action had

begun. Our advance movement had not continued far however till the enemy's lines
were disclosed in front. Our troops went into the action with a spirit and alacrity scarcely
to be expected after the fatigues and hardships of the previous days and nights. The
enemy was evidently in large force, and his troops were fresh. The first onset was
maintained with spirit by both armies and for nearly an hour the conflict raged in this part
of field with doubtful results. Several times we pressed forward against the superior
numbers of the enemy's fresh columns, but he stubbornly maintained his position. Our
officers and men seemed resolved to drive him back, and summoning everything for
another struggle we led the columns up with a volley and a shout from the whole line,
which proved irresistible, and sent him flying back to his second line, which was strongly
posted some two hundred yards in the rear. About this time Col. Campbell commanding
a Tennessee Regiment (number not remembered) attached himself to my Brigade and
fought gallantly during the day. I received an order about the same time to support a
column then hotly engaged some half mile to my right, but before reaching the position
our column had fallen back to better ground, and I was directed to support a battery on
our left in conjunction with Col. Trabue's Kentucky command. I filed off to the left,
crossing a camp and the avenue under a heavy fire, and reached a ravine on Col. Trabue's
right, with my right resting upon the border of the avenue. The enemy's battery was in a
position some four hundred yards to our front, and ours was about the same distance to
my left in a favorable position to silence it. Sharpshooters had been thrown forward and
had taken position behind a line of logs that had been rolled out to one side of the avenue;
and were now picking off my men as they stood waiting for our battery to accomplish its
work. I ordered forward a detachment of skirmishers to dislodge the enemy's
sharpshooters who were posted behind the breastwork of logs before alluded to. They
accomplished their work in handsome style and held the position from which they
annoyed the cannoniers who were playing upon our battery on the left. Observing this
advantage I rode over to the battery to see the commanding officer of the infantry posted
on my left & between me and the battery to ascertain if he could share me a force
sufficient to enable me to charge and take the enemy's pieces. I first met Major Moural
of the 4th KY who referred me to General Trabue to whom I was soon introduced.
Hurriedly explaining to him my strength and position and urging the importance of taking
the battery in question, adding my conviction that it could be done, he readily consented
to furnish me two regiments for that purpose, and directed an officer nearby to
accompany me to where the regiments were posted. I had not proceeded however
beyond his sight when he called to me and approaching said, ["] upon reflection I think I
had better not let those regiments leave their present position since I am directed to
support this battery if attacked." I returned to my command and found that the enemy
had discovered my position, and obtained the range and was shelling us at a rapid rate.
Not having the force to take his battery & being unable to obtain assistance in that part of
the field, I withdrew to a position a short distance in the rear and behind the brow of the
next hill. Here I found General Cheatham with a portion of his command, who had fallen
back from a point farther to the left. I formed on his right and the enemy now appearing
on the left, we encountered him again and pushed him back a short distance to where
more favorable ground enabled him to stand. We were in an open plain, with a few
scattering trees, but not enough to afford material shelter. The opposing forces were
strongly posted, in superior numbers, in a dense wood affording excellent cover. Our

troops stood and saw their comrades fall about them, but returned the fire with spirit for a
length of time, till some detached command on the extreme left gave way, when the
whole line retired behind the brow of a hill some one hundred & fifty to two hundred
yards in the rear. Here they rallied and formed again. Genl. Cheatham was
conspicuously active in effecting the reformation urging his troops to make a stand and
assuring them of their ability to repulse the enemy. Lieut. Sandige [Sandidge] also, of
Genl. Ruggles staff did gallant service in the same way. I take pleasure in referring to a
circumstance which came under my own observation, as none of his immediate superiors
were present to record it. When one of Genl. Cheatham's regiments had been appealed to
in vain, to make a charge on the advancing foe Lt. Sandidge, seizing its colors and
holding them high over head & calling upon the Regiment to follow him, he spurred his
horse to the front and charged over the brow of the hill amidst a shower of leaden hail
from the enemy. The effect was electrical. The regiment moved gallantly to the support
of its colors, but superior numbers soon pressed it back to its original position. Col.
Stanley of the 9th Texas did the same thing about the same time with the same result.
Large numbers of stragglers could now be seen in all directions, making their way to the
rear. Officers of several regiments reported to me that their commands were out of
ammunition and that the ammunition wagons had all retired to the rear. I detailed a
noncommissioned officer & two men from the Florida Battalion to go in search of
ammunition. He soon returned having succeeded in finding a few boxes in a camp near
by whether left there by our wagons or by the enemy I am unable to say. While the
ammunition was being distributed, one of General Beauregard's staff came by and
directed us to retire in order in the direction of our hospital. On reaching the brow of the
next hill in an open space I halted the Brigade and faced about, hoping, with the
assistance of two pieces of artillery which I observed near by, that a check could be given
to the enemy's advance, if indeed he could not be driven back. He had halted, evidently
in doubt whether to advance or not. I rode up to an officer who appeared to have charge
of the pieces alluded to, and requested him to open fire upon a line which I pointed out.
He informed me that he was out of ammunition, had no horses to draw off his pieces, and
had just received orders to spike them and leave them on the ground. The enemy's lines
were still at a halt. I moved on up the road till I met an officer who told me it was
General Bragg's order that the infantry should form on a certain ridge which was pointed
out. I formed there, but was soon directed by Col. Jordan of Genl. Beauregard's staff to
fall back to another hill which he designated, and there to form at right angles with the
road. I did as directed and waited some time for further orders or for the enemy to
advance. A staff officer from Genl. Beauregard then came and ordered the infantry to
retire to Monterey, parallel [sic] with a road a shot [short] distance to my left. The
movement was accomplished with the utmost deliberation and order At the forks of the
road a potion [portion] of the command took the road to Mickey's; the balance proceeded
to Monterey, under their respective officers. I went to Mickey's, as did a portion of my
staff, where I met General Ruggles, and reported to him for further instructions. He
directed me to proceed the next morning with my command to Corinth, and there resume
our camps, the tents of which had been left standing when we started for Shiloh.
It is not proper that I should close this report without bringing to the notice of the
general commanding the names of such officers as made themselves conspicuous for
their gallantry and efficiency in the field. Lieutenant Colonel Charles Jones,

commanding the 17th Regt. La. Vols, was wounded early in the action and retired from
the field. Maj. F. H. Clack, commanding the Confederate Guards Battalion, was ever
where the conflict raged hottest, holding his command well in hand, cheering,
encouraging, and stimulating the men to deeds of valor and renown. Major Clack had
two horses shot under him. Major [T. A.] McDonell, commanding the Florida Battalion,
was borne wounded from the field before the action had fairly begun. The command
devolved upon Capt. Poole, who bore himself most gallantly throughout the two days'
contest. The skill with which he handled his command reflected the highest credit upon
him as an officer, whilst the desperation with which his troops fought brings new lustre
[luster] to the arms of the State they represented, and paints imperishable fame upon the
colors they so proudly bore. Colonel Stanley, of the 9th Texas Regiment, has already
been incidentally alluded to. The language of eulogy could scarcely do more than simple
justice to the courage and determination of this officer and his valorous Texans. Ever in
the thickest of the fight, they were always ready to respond to any demand upon their
courage and endurance. Colonel Reichard, commanding the 20th La. Regt., deserves the
highest commendation and praise for his indefatigable valor, in leading his command
wherever the foe was strongest. Colonel Reichard's skill and efficiency as an officer are
only excelled by his intrepidity and valor. Lieut. Col. Boyd of the same Regiment did his
whole duty regardless of a painful wound in the arm, which he received in the first day's
engagement. Major Von Zinken also performed well his part, having two horses shot
under him during the conflict.
Capt. W. Irving Hodgson, commanding the Fifth Company, Washington Artillery,
added fresh luster to the fame of this already renowned corps. It was his fine practice
from the brow of the hill overlooking the enemy's first camp that enabled our infantry to
rout them in the outset, thus giving confidence to our troops, which was never afterward
shaken. Although the nature of the ground over which my infantry fought was such as
frequently to preclude to use of artillery, yet Captain Hodgson was not idle. I could hear
of his battery wherever artillery was needed. On several occasions I witnessed the effect
which his canister and round shot produced upon the enemy's masses, and once saw his
canoniers [cannoniers] stand to their pieces under a deadly fire when there was no
support at hand, and when to have retired would have left that part of the field to the
enemy. When a full history of the battles of Shiloh shall have been written the heroic
deeds of the Washington Artillery will illustrate one of its brightest pages, and the names
of Hodgson and Slocumb will be held in grateful remembrance by a free people long
after the sod has grown green upon the bloody hills of Shiloh.
Many other names deserve to be recorded as worthy of their country's grateful
remembrance, but the limits of my report, already too extended forbid it. Where all
behaved so well I would prefer not to omit a name from the list, but such a course is
impracticable at this time. I take pleasure in referring to the reports of regimental
commanders for more minute details in relation to the battle, and for the names of many
subalterns, non-commissioned officers, and privates who deserve notice and
commendation for gallant conduct on the field.
I beg leave to be permitted to record in this connection the names of my staff
officers, to whom I am greatly indebted for their very active assistance throughout the
battles. Capt. Wm G. Barth, A.A. Genl. and chief of staff, rendered invaluable service in
transmitting orders and making perilous reconnaissances. I was deprived of his services

during a portion of the time by his horse being killed under him, the place of which he
found it difficult to supply. Lieut. Wm M. Davidson, aide-de-camp, was constantly by
my side, except when absent by my orders, all of which he delivered with promptness
and intelligence. While engaged in this and passing from one portion of the field to
another he made many narrow escapes, having frequently to pass under most galling fires
to reach his point of destination. Lieut. John W. James, 5th Georgia Regt., acting aide-
de-camp, also rendered useful services early in the action of the 6th, but getting cut off
during the day by some means from the command I saw nothing more of him till late in
the evening, when he rejoined me and remained with me till we withdrew from the field.
Capt. Henry D. Bulkley, acting Brigade Commissary, also served on my personal staff on
the occasion, and did good service until a Minie ball deprived him of his horse. As soon
as he was able to supply himself again he rejoined me and gave me his ready assistance.
Lieut. Wm M. R. Jordan, 1st Fla. Regt., temporarily attached as an acting aide de camp,
was always at his post, ready to perform any service required of him. A spent ball striking
him in the loin compelled him to retire for a while from the field, but he soon returned,
having received no other injury than a severe contusion, which, though painful, did not
disable him. Capt. John T. Sibley, acting Brigade quartermaster, deserves the highest
praise for his activity and promptness in keeping up our supply of ammunition during the
two day's fight. He was ever present, ready to respond to any call for this indispensable
want of the soldier on the battlefield. He was equally efficient in bringing off the field all
the ammunition not consumed, as well as his wagons, ambulances, mules, or other means
of transportation, returning to Corinth without the loss of any. Of the 14 officers
mounted including my staff nine of them had horses killed under them.
Surgeon C. B. Gamble, brigade medical director, was indefatigable in his labors
through [throughout] both days of the battle, rendering cheerfully and promptly his
professional services whenever and wherever needed. These were not pretermitted during
the night of the 6th and 7th, after others, exhausted by the fatigues of the battle-field, had
sought early repose. In the discharge of his duty, while endeavoring to alleviate the pains
of our wounded and to bring away as many of them as could be safely removed, he fell
into the hands of the enemy after our rear guard had retired. Our army can illly [sic] spare
at this time one whose private worth is inestimable and whose professional skill is
For a detailed statement of the killed, wounded, and missing of my command I
refer to the reports and lists herewith furnished, by which it will appear that I took into
the field 1,636 bayonets The casualties [sic] were 434, a loss of a little more than 25 per
Very respectfully,
Yr. Obt. Svt.,
Patton Anderson
Brig. Genl. Comdg. 2 Brigade
Ruggles Division
2nd Army Corps Army of
the Mississippi

Transcribed by Christopher A. Baker, University of Florida, 2008.

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs