All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
'WIAD BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES
\ 5 NOVEMBER 1992
- Approval obtained for the order of a computer.
- Our phone has been installed: the WIAD number is 392-3972.
- Both Carolyn Moser and. Constance McCorkle expressed their interest in giving a talk for
WIAD, but their travel expenses will have to be met by WIAD.
- Dr. McCorkle will be asked for a brief written description of her work on livestock a? J
women, so that it can be shown to Dr. Hildebrand. and Dr. Simpson from livestock economics
for possible co-sponsoring of her trip.
- Dr. Safa suggested she would get in touch with Dr. Helga Kraft and Dr. Terry McCoy ior
Carolyn Moser's ticket.
- Two hard copies of the bibliography have been obtained from WIAD publications. One is in
the office, the other with Dr. Russo.
- IFAS software has software versions of the database available for purchase.
- A memo has been sent to call for references and WIAD members' papers in order to start
updating the bibliography.
- Bea Covington is now Chair of the Training committee.
(1) The Training Committee decided to change its approach to faculty development: Instead
of a top-down approach trying to reach the chairs of the departments to encourage
their faculty to participate, the idea is now to target a smaller number of faculty v' *
have expressed interest in seeing a gender component introduced into their coursE.
and to help them doing so.
The new approach should be more manageable and will be a joint effort with s-me
members of TCD (Tropical Conservation Development).
A short course will be developed for the faculty interested. A brain-storming session
will take place in the coming week to decide who to target and how they should be
(2) A Gender Analysis training course will be offered for outsiders this summer. The flyer
was distributed among those present for suggestions and commentaries. It needs to be
ready for distribution with the farming systems training course flyers this week.
(3) Lisette Staal and Sandra Russo wrote a preliminary proposal for a FIPSE grant t' at
would pay for a full-time position to work on faculty development with regard to
gender and minority issues. This program should promote (1) understanding of tne
importance of a gender component: and (2) actual incorporation in courses.
This program would reinforce our training committee's faculty outreach efforts.
Few faculty members were present at the meeting; (The creation of the Gender Institute is
a crucial event in the area of gender issues on campus: it is possibly channelling energize
away from WIAD at this point). Should more effort be placed on stimulating research
activities or should WIAD specifically focus on the Speaker Series and training activities, as
well as the bibliography.