THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF TRINIDAD
Publication No. 444.
The Actual State of the Island of Tobago. 1786.
Source:-Paris.Archives of the Ministry of the Colonies.
B.O. 1906. No 598.
Published by the courtesy of the Minister
of the Colonies. Paris.
Translated from the French.
1st November 1786.
The French Governor of Tobago, (the Vicomte D'
Arrot) reported that the French had first fortified
Cotton Hill (now French Fort) and then made emplace-
ments and put guns at Concordia.
At the Peace the Governor General disapproved of
the fortifications at Cotton Hill and vetoed all work
there. He ordered that Scarborough Hill be fortified
On this hill was a good barracks in stone which
housed 80 men.There was also a barrack in wood in the
Town of Scarborough which held 90 men. These were
altered somewhat and made suitable for 390 men.
The Officers and the Artillery were lodged in ho-
uses in Scarborough, rented for this purpose.
There was a battery in masonry at Sandy Point and
also an earthen one at Courland.