THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF TRINIDAD
Publication No. 440.
The Stale of Tobago in 1784.
Source:-Paris.Archives of the Ministry of the Colonies.
B.O. 1906. No 566.
Idees Generales sur l'Isle de Tabago.
By Monsieur de Thavenot, Captain of Artillery.
Published by the courtesy of the Minister
of the Colonies. Paris.
Translated from the French.
9th June 1784.
The Population in 1782, was 405 Whites, 118 Free
Coloured and 10,530 Slaves.
At Scarborough there were about 40 houses, at
Georgetown, about six houses while at Plymouth, were
only a few fishermen.
Morne Concordia had been chosen by the French
Military Authorities for their strong post but, as it
was not possible to place it in proper defence early
enough, they had occupied Morne Cotton (now French
Fort). In military opinion, Scarborough Hill was of
There were also detachments of troops at Courland
and Granby Bay as well as at Little Courland and Black
Scarborough Hill was being fortified and the hos-
pital was at Calder Hall.