THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF TRINIDAD
Publication No. 385.
From William Tucker of Bermuda to the Governor of Trinidad.
Source :-Public Record Office. Slate Papers Colonial. C.O. 298/1.
Published by the courtesy of the Master of the Rolls and the
Deputy Keeper of the Public Records.
7th June 1804.
William Tucker of Bermuda asks for permission to settle
Guayaguayare with mechanics and seamen from Bermuda
where there are no lands available and they are unable to
He asks that free grants of land from 10 to 50 acres should
be made and that a Custom House should be established
there as it would be impossible to conduct an active trade
through Port-of-Spain. He proposes to fortify the two
points of Guayaguayare Bay.
There are there the finest oysters and the Bay is full
of fish and turtles. Between the two rivers there is ground
suitable for a village and in fact was so marked out by the
Spaniards prior to the capture. There are at present no
buildings but in future it should be the second town of the
Island. There is an excellent harbour with much incorruptible
At present at Guayaguayare there are about 66 people,
mostly French who have been there 10-15 years, with 400 slaves
cultivating rice, cotton and provisions. Sugar could be grown
but the people have no capital. There is an excellent lake
of tar inland about 3 leagues from the southwest point of
At Mayaro several large sugar plantations have been
begun. There are 120 people all French with 380 slaves.
The shore is covered with coconut trees and near the coast
two volcanos eniit quantities of pitch from the bottom of the
sea. At the eruptions flames shoot up above the water for a
considerable height and the pitch which floats to the shore
is used for caulking boats,