I 534- I
THE TRINIDAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Publication No. 129.
A list of Docwmnts sent by Antonio Sedeno to the King.
No DATE, ? 1534.
:- No PLACE.
Source : -Coleccion de Documentos Ineditos. Pacheco y Cardenas.
Second Series, Vol. XIW? 233.
Translatedfrom the Spanish.
A Report of the Documents which Antonio Sedeno has sent to His
Majesty giving information of matters which have happened in
the Island of Trinidad and the Province ofParia.
I. The notes of three trials, signed and attested. One in
the Island of Margarita about the matter aforementioned
and the other two in the Island of San Juan.
2. A copy of the decision by the Royal Audiencia in
favour of the Government of Diego de Ordas just before
his death. A copy of an injunction on the above made by
the Audiencia after the death of Diego de Ordas.
3. A copy of another decision by the Royal Audencia
in favour of Alonso de Herrera by which he obtained the
Government of the Province of Paria.
4. A copy of a letter which Her Majesty sent to Antonio
Sedeno requiring him to pick up the people left at Paria by
Diego de Ordas, when he went next to the Island of Trinidad.
5. A copy of another letter from Her Majesty in which
permission was given to the people in the Province of Paria
to leave and go whither they wished.
6. An authority given by Diego de Ordas to Augustin
Delgado as his Lieutenant in the Province of Paria.
7. An acknowledgement from Geronimo Dortal that he
had taken from Antonio Sedeno, two horses in the Island
8. A copy of a letter from His Majesty to Diego de Ordas
ordering him to return to Antonio Scdeno that which he had
seized in the Province of Paria or its value and an order to
the Justices to see that this was done.
9. An account of the amount spent by the Government
of Porto Rico in an expedition against the Caribs from which
it appears that they spent more than 6.ooo pesos.
10. A report of how the inhabitants of Porto Rico who
had armed themselves for an expedition were ordered by the
Captain to go to Tierra Firme to take Ind;ans as slaves instead
of going to the Island of Trinidad for which the expedition
11. A copy of a letter from His Majesty ordering that
when Antonio Sedeno arrived in the Province of Paria they
could settle there temporarily.