• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Front Cover
 Main














Title: Hawthorne Historical Museum and Cultural Center brochure
CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080454/00001
 Material Information
Title: Hawthorne Historical Museum and Cultural Center brochure
Physical Description: Archival
Language: English
Creator: Hawthorne Historical Museum
Publisher: Hawthorne Historical Museum
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00080454
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Page 1
    Main
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4
        Page 5
        Page 6
        Page 7
        Page 8
Full Text


Hawthorne

Historical

Museum

....................... ..... SR^ s ^ l B 1 9 '
Ijp ^^^''--'* .Aar\
oil


And
Cultural Center
(352) 481-4491
7225 SE 221st Street
(South .1JoliLsoin Strect)
Hawthorne, Floricd 32640

Wed. & Fri.: 1().\ to 21\i
S:nt. & Sun.: 1 ,\i to 41r\
www.VisitGainesvilie.net G(raphlic dLki.-in by River (;. iii 'si-






Hawthorne History
Adapted from text by Robert Morrison

"Hawthorne is delightfully located' declared
a promotional pamphlet of nearly a century
ago. "Its streets are studded with beautiful live
oak trees whose leaves never fall and which
afford shade every day in the yeal.' The old
booklet went on to discuss the gristmill, the
town well, the turpentine still, Dyess' carriage
works, Coleman's stables and Moore's Hotel. Of
these, only Moore's Hotel (now the Hawthorne
Apartments) and the beautiful oaks survive.
Hawthorne's Historical Museum and Cultural
Center seeks to nurture awareness of these and
other features of a distinctive town in long-ago
rural Florida.


As recently as the 1940s, vegetable farming
and the turpentine industry were two of the
mainstays of Hawthorne's economy. The ice and
power plant, the Coca-Cola bottling firm, the
stations of the Seaboard and the Atlantic Coast



AL 41"
*".,-..- .


Hawthorne railroad station circa 1920






Line railroads, and a number of modest stores
also supported Hawthorne's citizens. By this
time, the old gristmill, built about 1840, was
almost forgotten; but Morrison's Mill was for
many years the
name of the area's
first post office.
In 1879 both
S railroads arrived,
and the com-
munity began to
ore's Hotel (Hawthorne Apartments) cluster near their
intersection, briefly
known as Waits Crossing. A decision to honor
a prominent early settler, James Hawthorn, led
to the name used when the town was incorpo-
rated in 1881. Both railroads had misspelled
the name by adding a
final "e'. The misspell-
ing was never correct-
ed and by 1950, the
residents gave in and
officially changed the
name of their town to
"Hawthorne'.


The building housing
Hawthorne's museum
was built in 1907 as
a church for one of The build
the town's African-American congregations. By
1993 the New Hope United Methodist Church


ing arrives on site 1997


Mo


INw






















































The building arrives on


had outgrown
its old sanctuary
and built a large
modern church
next door. Un-
willing to see
the old building
destroyed, they Jane Segal directing FP&L to move power line
301 so that Church can be moved down high
waited patiently
for three years while Jane Segal sought grant
money for its relocation and restoration. In
1997 the old edifice was painstakingly moved
to its present location on SE 221st Street, only a
few yards from the site of the original railroad
station.


Nearly all the work of restoring the born-again
church was done by a
handful of volunteers,
headed up by Ted
Evans. From the out-
side, one can't miss
Sthe simple dignity of
Sthe building and, be-
neath it, the unusual
century-old brick,
locally kilned. The
Iinterior offers a shin-
ing hardwood floor,
site 1997 several original pews,

handmade chairs for the minister and the origi-
nal Bible, all bathed in the gentle light from the


is on U!
way.


.____ __ _~II






carefully restored stained-glass windows. The
museum finally officially opened on January
26, 2002.


But all of this is only the setting for the many
artifacts prepared and/or presented by local
residents. Ed Hurlburt, a former shop teacher,
carefully crafted the display cases from the old
wainscoting. In them, visitors will find, among
other things, relics from the office of an early
town doctor, memorabilia from the career of
Representative Sidney Martin and items illus-
trating the heyday of the turpentine distillery.


Turpentine distillery showcase






A prize quilt, made by Greta Knowles, hangs on
the west wall. Each square is a photograph of
some of Hawthorne's older homes. All photos
were taken by Dan Stanfield.


Greta & Dan with the quilt


None of these glimpses into the past, how-
ever, is more colorful than the primitive art of
Hawthorne's "Grandpa Moses," Francis Moore.
Based on the memories of one who grew up
in Hawthorne, Moore's canvases vividly recall






such cherished locations as the town's first

bank, Dyess carriage works, the Coca-Cola bot-

tling plant, ice plant and even old Morrison's

Mill. Moore's paintings grace every wall, and it's

not unusual to find the artist in the museum

during its weekday hours.


The Hawthorne Historical Museum and Cul-

tural Center enjoys the support, not only of the

town's 1,400 citizens, but also of the thousands

who live around "the 400 lakes area" of eastern

Alachua and western Putnam Counties.


Francis Moore showing
two of his 20 paintings on
display.


Thil-, h or hui funded b) the
Alachua County Visitors and Convention Bureau
www.VisitGainesville.net


























Doris & Ted Evans in costumes of the early 1900s


Where Are We?

Hawthorne is located 20 miles east of Gainesville and 30 miles
north of Ocala, at the junction of SR 20 and US 301.

The Museum is just two blocks from the Trail Head for the
Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail State Park, voted best biking trail
in Florida by Florida Monthly Magazine. Marjorie K. Rawling's
House is also only a few minutes drive.



[I201


SE 65 Av




('in
SE 66 Av ,



SE 67 Av
C 4 4 I


SE 69 Av


ri -
u J.
VII W


/ *E ri







city\
Park


E 71 Av


Trail
-Hja SE 73 A
Gainesville-Hawthorne
Trail State Park


'SE 75 Av


\ /




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs