Title: Newell Hall
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080420/00001
 Material Information
Title: Newell Hall
Physical Description: Image/Photograph
Creator: Kesse, Erich J., 1959-
Subjects / Keywords: Historic buildings
College buildings
Ephemera -- Florida   ( ltgm )
Artifacts -- Florida   ( aat )
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Alachua -- Gainesville
Coordinates: 29.6490985780573 x -82.3450424379967
General Note: The Florida Agricultural Experiment Station moved to the University of Florida in 1905 when its host school, Florida Agricultural College in Lake City, was abolished. In 1910, a new building opened on Stadium Road as the home of the Experiment Station whose work had been carried out in Thomas Hall. The buildings surrounding grounds were landscaped to provide hands-on research for students. The Experiment Station building was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by William Edwards and built by the J. J. Cain Company. The building was renovated in 1943 under the direction of Rudolph Weaver. In 1944, it was named for noted entomologist Dr. Wilmon E. Newell, a director of the Station and provost for Agriculture. Newell Hall was added to the National Register in 1979. It is also a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989.
Funding: Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00080420
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: University of Florida building number 13

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - Version 2.9.9 - mvs