Title: George A. Smathers Library East
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080360/00003
 Material Information
Title: George A. Smathers Library East
Physical Description: Image/Photograph
Creator: Kesse, Erich J., 1959-
 Subjects
Subjects / Keywords: Historic buildings
College buildings
Academic libraries
Libraries
Ephemera -- Florida   ( ltgm )
Artifacts -- Florida   ( aat )
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Alachua -- Gainesville
Florida
Coordinates: 29.6510804240158 x -82.3418887515666
 Notes
General Note: The University Library was the largest campus building when it opened in October, 1926. It was the last building designed by UF's first architect, William A. Edwards. When the neighboring Library West opened in 1967, this building was renamed Library East. Library East became Smathers Library in 1991 in honor of UF benefactor George Smathers, former U.S. Senator. - Although it has been renovated and expanded several times over the years, Smathers Library has retained much of its exterior and interior character and ornamentation. A feature of its large Reading Room is a mural, The History of Learning in Florida, by Hollis Holbrook.<br><br>
Funding: Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00080360
Volume ID: VID00003
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: University of Florida building number 5

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - Version 2.9.9 - mvs