Title: Tentative (interpretation) outline for Arrivas House
CITATION MAP IT! THUMBNAILS ZOOMABLE PAGE IMAGE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00078147/00001
 Material Information
Title: Tentative (interpretation) outline for Arrivas House
Physical Description: Archival
Creator: Scardaville, M.
Publication Date: 1977
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
46 Saint George Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Arrivas House (Saint Augustine, Fla)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 46 Saint George Street
North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine
Coordinates: 29.896311 x -81.313236
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00078147
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved, Board of Trustees of the University of Florida. (Creative Commons by-nc (non-commercial) license.)
Resource Identifier: B12-L21

Full Text


/ ti
STentative Outline for Arrivas House


I. Interpretative Objective

A. British Period Silversmith

B. With exceptions, first floor resembles the building at
the end of the British period. (See Summary)


II. The Building

A. Restored in 1961 by the St. Augustine Historical
Restoration and Preservation Commission

B. First house remains: c. 1650-1702

1. tabby walls and floors (similar to Gallegos)
2. rare concrete structure before 1702 destruction of
city
3. originally a one room structure with additional
rooms added
4. coquina wall in northeast room (rarely used before
1702)
5. study of first house remains based on 1960 research
a. re-evaluation necessary

C. Destroyed in 1702 seige by Spanish military commander

1. all building within a musket shot of the fort (750 feet)
razed to the ground as a defense measure

D. Rebuilt with coquina: c. 1710-1740

1. part of general building program in stone; by 1764,
36 percent of all structures in St. Augustine were
made of coquina, 41 percent were tabby, 23 percent
were wood
2. rebuilt on same wall lines as former tabby structure
3. house plan:
a. two large rooms
b. loggia (roofed porch) to south
c. tabby patio to north
d. well in rear (present well reconstructed
atop original)

E. Alterations and additions by 1764

1. building assumes L-shape
2. three rooms added as a southwest wing
a. less expensive tabby used in construction of
three of the walls
b. coquina used to construct southernmost wall













3. north-south coquina partition subdivided two large
rooms
a. perhaps partition dates from the British period
4. possible wood frame second floor, but sufficient
evidence is lacking to verify its existence
5. house located in a respectable neighborhood
a. with exception of the Gomez house, all buildings
on both sides of St. George from Cuna to Ft.
Lane were constructed of either tabby or stone
6. 1764 value of house: 3,462 pesos

F. British period

1. addition of fireplace in southeast room (presently
used as a silversmith workshop)
2. possible construction of north-south partition
(See II-E-3-a)

G. Second Spanish Period

1. possible addition of wood frame second floor

H. Early American Period (Territorial Florida)

1. c. 1830: first documented evidence of a second floor
a. use of cut nails to date second floor
2. c. 1830: probable destruction of three-room south-
west wing


III. Proprietors

A. 1730's: don Diego Ripalido (conjectural)
1. born in Palermo, Sicily of Spanish parents
2. Lieutenant in Infantry in the garrison
3. 1738: married Ursula Avero
4. 1747: died

B. c. 1748-1764: don Raimundo de Arrivas
1. first documented owner
2. Second Lt. in Infantry: First Lt. by 1759
3. 1748: married Ursula Avero, widow of Ripalido
4. six children born in St. Augustine; one in Havana, Cuba

C. 1764-1785: Jesse Fish and others (?)
1. reexamination of documentary evidence necessary
2. Fish was agent in the sale of Spanish properties
3. never paid the Arrivas family .the money for the house

D. 1785-1824: don Tadoe de Arrivas
1. 1767: born in Havana to don Raimundo de Arrivas
and Ursula Avero (1748-1764 owners of house)
2. 1785: appointed clerk of the Royal Treasury













3. reclaimed house from Fish without permanent
deed
4. 1790: married Maria Garcia Perpal
a. Perpal from propertied St. Augustine family
5. four children
6. by 1815: Accountant (contador) of Royal Treasury
7. 1819: returned to Cuba
8. 1824: sold building and lot to John Oates for $1,200

E. 1824-1960: twenty-five changes in ownership
1. July 1, 1960: purchased by St. Augustine Historical
Restoration and Preservation Commission


IV. Summary

A. House located on same site since mid-17th century

B. House built on 17th century wall lines

C. Restored first floor

1. resembles structure at the end of the British period
a. four interior rooms with southern porch,
fireplace in workshop area, and well in rear
b. exceptions:
(1) no rear three room wing
(2) presence of second story debatable






















M. Scardaville
September 1977







FE~-4-rA1Th4~- ~vct~UVi c~4 cj~ A~~Z~VA'~ '~)'~ -


O -o4JA.l


- -~ -. IC-. ~ J1O&: L7 <.


L


1.


K? 3 77


L


Fu cL31'~ o ~J


oF._ Pee\vc~s C~r~r)S E


) rt- r r--'t -


-C--I- -~


. 171c- J74 :-:


C


1 i


. JL- Iq77 -(RSesro-A-0)


____. rJ~~__17 94 -- --.-~.-- .









"Silversmith of San Agustin Antiguo" -
(a restored 18th Century Village) .--:. .--



We are pleased to present you with a '
handcrafted silver beaker from the Silversmith
of San Agustin Antiguo. We. trust that you will
be satisfied with its workmanship, and that the
beaker will serve you well for many years.

The term sterling silver refers to the
traditional English standard in use since the
Middle Ages and means that the metal is 925/1000
fine silver with the remainder generally copper.
The Silversmith of San Agustin Antiguo used this
particular composition to create your sterling
silver piece.

The beaker you have purchased began either
as a flat sheet of sterling silver formed by
hammering out an ingot or as a pre-rolled sheet.
Both forms were commercially available in the 18th
century. A disc cut from this sheet became the
body of the cup. The silversmith marked the exact
center of the disc, scribed a circle designating the diameter of the base, and,
supporting .his work on the stake, hammered the disc inward and upward in a spiral
from base line to outer edge. All hammering in this "raising" process was done
on the outside surface of the cup. Since sterling silver hardens during raising,
two other\steps were necessary in this basic forming stage. In an operation called
"annealing", all the stresses built up by working the metal were relieved by heating
the silver to a temperature of 11000 12000 F.. Annealing was followed immediately
by "pickling" or cleaning the piece by boiling it in an acid solution. Both
procedures were done after each course of raising. After a number of courses the
cup approached its final shape but actually was still somewhat smaller than its
finished size. This slight margin allowed for the planishing or polishing of the
piece by hammering it with lightweight highly polished hammers until it was
entirely smooth. Planishing actually compresses the silver, so this operation
expanded the cup to its final form while polishing it. The silversmith then
trimmed the top edge of the piece and leveled the bottom, and applied any desired
ornamentation. Band polishing with burnishers and abrasives (such as pumice or
jewelers rouge) was the final step.

Using 18th century methods, this beaker involved over 40 hours of exactinng
hand labor. Approximately 500,000 blows totalling 16 hours of actual hammering
and at least ten repetitions of the raising, annealling and pickling operations
were required to produce the finished piece. Burnishing and hand rubbing are
distinctive characteristics of the superior craftsmanship displayed in our
Silversmith Shop, where no modern labor-saving devices are used.

We hope that your sterling silver beaker will remind you of a pleasant visit
to San Agustin Antiguo, and that you will return again soon to the nation's oldest
city!




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs