NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY
The National Democratic Party will pursue a policy embracing
1. Increased production of all local foodstuffs with a view to reducing
importation of food items which can be produced locally on an economic basis.
2. The provision of adequate facilities to farmers for processing, storing,
transporting, and marketing of products as may be necessary for economic
production and distribution.
3. The establishment.of an Agricultural Bank.
4. Guaranteed prices for farm products at a level that will ensure a satisfactory
profit to the farmers, and thereby encourage increased production.
5. Establishment of a prosperous community of farmers who own their own farms,
with safeguards against fragmentation of the holdings.
6. Provision of more adequately drained and irrigated lands for agriculture.
7. Doing everything to discourage the expansion of the Plantation System.
8. Endeavour, to provide adequate Insurance protection for farmers against
loss or damage to their crops by flood or drought.
9. The promotion of the livestock industry in all its branches, particularly
The National Democratic Party will provide adequate protection forthe
small producers of forest products, (including co-operative marketing).
The National Democratic Party
1. Will courage the expansion of present industries.
2. Will make every effort to secure the capital and skills which are lacking
locally, and which are needed for the increased production of wealth out of
the resources of our country; and, if necessary, will set up an Industrial
Corporation for development.
3. Will make every effort to ensure that the people of this country retain
their just share of the wealth so produced.
4. Will encourage the development and protection of Secondary and Cottage
1. The National Democratic Party will provide the necessary legislation forthe
protection of the Worker and Trade Unions, including Unemployment Insurance
and minimum wages.
2. The National Democratic Party is committed to a policy of full employment.
3. Every effort will be made to ensure the training of Guianese to fill all
posts at the disposal of the Government.
4. The Party shall take steps to discourage the unnecessary importation of
employees in all spheres.
The National Democratic Party will make every effort to encourage and
establish social security measures e.g.
a. Contributary PensionSchemes.
b. Family Allowances.
c. Increased Old Age Pensions.
ROADS AND COMMUNICATION
1. The National Democratic Party will speed up the surfacing, improvement and
extension of the Country's existing roads, including the extending of the
East Bank road to Mackenzie, the West Coast road to a point opposite
Bartica, and the Corentyne and Berbice River road further along the Banks of
the respective rivers.
2. The Party will endeavour to improve Communication generally, including
SOCIAL SERVICES : (A) HOUSING
The Party will carry out surveys in order tc ascertain the actual housing
needs in areas where the need is most keenly felt. This would be followed by
the implementation of a plan to satisfy the need in. the shortest time consis-
tent with other demands on the Country's resources, the objective being that
homes which satisfy modern needs shall be made available at rentals that will
not place an undue strain on the family's income.
Facilities and inducements for tenants eventually becoming owners of their
houses will be provided.
The National Democratic Party will endeavour to effect the reform of the
corricula of primary and secondary schools so as to bring them more in line
with the Country's need for an enlightened citizenery.
An immediate increase in the number of scholarships from Primary to
Secondary schools, and from secondary schools to Universities is an Objective
of this Party; and in this respect the principal aim is to replace technical
officers drawn from overseas with local men in as shortatime as necessary.
The Party advocates the extension of the school Health Services, and
snack meals to cover the entire country. The extension and encouragement of
adult education will also be advocated by this party.
(C) MEDICAL SERVICES
The Party will take steps to bring adequate medical attention within
reach of all who are unable to obtain it from their own resources.
0 $ . 4 A t 6 9 6 n .