The infantryman Jos Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant, lived here. After the Spanish return in 1784, Jos Coruna, a Canary Islander with his family, and Tomas Caraballo, an assistant surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez, who lived next door int eht Gozalez-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil War General Martin D. Hardin, USA.
The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918.
Sponsored by the Board of Commissioners of St. Johns County in cooperation with the Florida Department of State.