Gonzalez-Alvarez House (The Oldest House)
For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was build soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations, a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were added. Preserved by St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918, the house became a registered national landmark in 1970.
Sponsored by the St. Johns County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Department of State.