This house was already extant in 1763, when Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain. It was then a one-story, two-room, shingle-roofed coquina stone structure owned by Pedro Fernandez. A British owner added the loggia.
In 1784, when the Spanish returned, the Minorcan settlers brought to Flroida by the British stayed. Their descendants too remained in 1821, when Florida became American. Two Minorcan brothers, Joseph and Peter Antonio Manucy, owned the house in 1838, adding the second story and the balcony. Dona Catalina Llambias, whose name the structure bears, bought it in 1854 and she and her family owned it for 65 years.
The Carnegie Institution of Washington, aided by the St. Augustine Historical Society, purchased the Llambias House in 1938 and presented it in trust to the City. The structure was restored in 1952-54.
The Altrusa Club was named custodian of the property by the Board of Trustees in 1967. The house was designated a national historic landmark in 1970. The St. Augustine Historical Society purchased the adjoining corner lot in 1973 to protect the scenic integrity of the Fernandez-Llambias house.
Sponsored by St. Augustine Historical Society