Group Title: Libraries : 665
Title: Libraries
CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00055555/00001
 Material Information
Title: Libraries #665
Physical Description: 3 leaves : ; 28 cm.
Language: English
Creator: Trainor, A. W
Goebel, Rubye K
Federal Writers' Project of the Work Projects Administration for the State of Florida
Publisher: s.n.
Place of Publication: S.l
Publication Date: 1936]
 Subjects
Subject: Libraries -- Florida   ( lcsh )
History -- Volusia County (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre: bibliography   ( marcgt )
non-fiction   ( marcgt )
 Notes
Bibliography: Includes bibliographical references (leaf 3)
Statement of Responsibility: A. W. Trainor ; R. Goebel, editor.
General Note: "Federal Writers' Projects, American Guide, Daytona Beach, Florida."
General Note: "FFW 26."
General Note: "July 1, 1936."
General Note: Caption title.
General Note: Typescript for the Federal Writers' Project.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00055555
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: aleph - 002025558
oclc - 32947653
notis - AKL3126

Full Text

FEDERAL WRITERS' PROJECTS
American' Guide
Daytona Beach, Florida -
J FFW-26

A. W. Trainor, former local supv., writer. LIBRARIES #665
Complete July 1, 1936
Approx. 300 words R. Goebel, editor.



In DeLand there are two libraries: the Carnegie-
Sampson Library, non-subscription, located on the campus of
Stetson University, serving as a branch of that institution;
and the DeLand Public Library at 449 E. New York Ave.
The main building of the Carnegie-Sampson Library is

the gift of Mr. Andrew Carnegie. The annex, built in 1929,
was named,for Mr. 0. T. Sampson, who helped endow the library.
The former, a two-story structure, 150x50, houses the Sampson

Library on the first floor. On the second floor are rooms for
sororities and classrooms. The annex contains the government .

documents on the first floor-and a spacious reading room occupies
the second floor.
There are 36,000 volumes in the library. A prominent

feature is the collection of bound periodicals, which includes
virtually complete sets of all the leading Amerioan and English

magazines and reviews.
The University is a U. S. Government depository for
the State of Fla. with 11,000 volumes, many of them very valu-
able scientific and historic records of general interest to
for reference purposes only.
scholars and investigators/ Hours are from 7:30 to 10:00 P.M.

Organized in 1912, the DeLand Public Library Assoc.

maintained a library in a room in the Stewart Bldg. until 1918,

when it was. transferred by ordinance to the municipality. It




3C-R. 8 6 .. ,, ,'' -. .. ;. -
A. W..Trainor, writer
Daytona Beah, Fla.'


then became the DeLand Free public Library. In 1932 it was
moved to the present location at 449 E. New York Ave., when
the building was presented to the'oi$y by Seward n. Baker. It
was designated as a memorial-in his name in recognition of

this worthy deed. The library contains 13,000 volumes and
subscribes to numerous periodicals and newspapers. A refer-
ence department of more than 2,000 volumes and 649 volumes of
bound periodicals are available. Privileges are free to tax-
payers and residents, while visitors and temporary residents
may obtain cards for $1.00 per year.
Hours are daily except Sundays and holidays from
10:00 A.U. to 12.00 M. and 2:00 to 6:00 P.M..





By A. W. Trainor,
former local supv.


Edited by R. K. Goebel

July 1, 1936


LIBRARIES 1665


(DELAnD)


DAYTONA BEAI FLORIDA



/

Bulletin of John B. Stetson Univ.,. DeLand, Fla.
Pub. quarterly by J. B. Stetson Univ., DeLand, Fla.

Personal observation.

Secretary DeLand Chamber of Commerce, DeLand, Fla.


DIBLTODRlHY




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs