THIS PAGE ONLY FOR OFFICES REQUIRING CONFIRMATION BY THE FLORIDA SENATE
Please send a copy of this completed questionnaire to the Governor's Office. You may wish to retain the original
for ust by the Florida Senate. The Secretary of State's Office will notify you when you should update this
information and have it notarized.
STATE OF FLORIDA, COUNTY OF HILLSBOROUGH
Before me, the undersigned Notary Public of Florida, personally appeared
LESTER MERRIN BLAIN
____, who, after being
duly sworn, says: (1) that he/she has carefully and personally prepared or
read the answers to the foregoing questions; (2) that the information con-
tained in said answers is complete and true; and (3) that he/she will, if
confirmed, fully support the Constitution of the United States and of the State
Siinaturr of Applicant AlfianZ
Sworn to, acknowledged and subscribed before me
this (/ t day of ^ 19 11.8
Notary Public, State of Florida
My Commission Expires Aug. 5, 1990
i My commission expires: Bonde Th rI
B5 (RNvdd 12/8r3)
* 22. List your present place of employ; i and all places of employment for the previc ive (5) years.
EMPLOYER TYPE OF BUSINESS POSITION FROM TO
Blain & Cone, P.A. Law firm Managing Shareholder 1978-Present
23. Have you ever been employed by any Florida state or local government entity or agency? Yes El No 0 If "Yes", please
identify the positionss, the name(s) of the employer agency and the periods) of employment.
POSITION EMPLOYER AGENCY PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT
Retained as attorney or 1965-1983
SGeneral Counsel to Southwest Florida Water Management District
Spec. Asst. Atty. Gen. Fla. Atty. Gen.'s Office Jan.-July, 1965
24. Have you ever held a license or certificate? Yes E No 0 If "Yes", please provide the tite, issue date and issuing authority.
If any disciplinary action (fine, probation, suspension, revocation) has been taken, please state the type and date of the action
LICENSE/CERTIF. TITLE ISSUE DATE ISSUING AUTHORITY DISCIP. ACTION/DATE
006506 1965 The Florida Bar None
25. To your knowledge, have you, members of your immediate family, or businesses of which you or members of your immediate
family have been an owner, officer or employee, held any contractual or other direct dealings during the last three (3) years with
any Florida state or local governmental agency, including the office or agency to which you are seeking appointment?
Yes 0 No KK If "Yes", please explain:
BUSINESS YOUR RELATION TO BUSINESS BUSINESS RELATION TO AGENCY
26. Have you ever been refused a fidelity, surety or other bond? Yes 0 No 13 If "Yes", please explain.
27. Please list three persons who have known you well within the past five (5) years. Include a current, complete address and the
capacity in which they know you. Exclude relatives, employees in the Office of the Governor and members of the Florida Senate.
NAME ADDRESS ZIP CODE CAPACITY
S. C. Bud Bexley, Jr. Rt. 2, Box 2629, Land O'Lakes,FL 33539 Friend/Client
Donald Morgan, Rt. 3, Box 64, Live Oak, FL 32060 Friend/Ex.Dir./SRWMD
John R. Maloy, P. O. Box 257, Oviedo, FL 32765 Friend/former Ex.Di 6FWM]
Charles B. Littlejohn, 402 W. College Ave., TLH, FL 32301 Friend/Ex.Dir.
28. Name any business, professional, civic or fraternal organizations) of which you are now a member, or of which you have been aFlori d
member during the past five (5) years, the addresses) and date(s) of your membershipss. Land Counci
NAME ADDRESS ZIP CODE DATE
Greater Tampa C of C P. O. Box 420, TPA, FL 33601 7-7-78 to date
Florida Bar Assoc., Tallahassee, FL 32301-8226 6-7-65 to date
American Bar Assoc., 1155 East Sixtieth St., Chicago, IL 60637 1966 to
Kappa Alpha Order (Alumni) P.O. Box 3109, Tampa, FL 33601 1947 to dat^ate
American Water Res. Assn. 5410 Grosvenor Lane, Ste. 220, Bethesda, MD 2081
B.P.O.E. P. O. Box 836, Plant City,FL 34289-0836 Intermittent
4 for 17 yrs. ,H.vi.d t2/?w3)
"* 15. C. Have you received any awa, or recognition relating to this office? Yes NoO3 If "Yes", please list.
(a few plaques, etc.)
D. Identify all association memberships and offices held by you that relate to this appointment.
Board Member Fla. Sec. American Water Resources Assoc.
Director-at-Large and Member Exec. Comm.-Natl. Amer. Water Res. Assoc.
Gen. Ch. Natl. AWRA Conference to be held in Tampa 1989.
Ch. Statutes & Bylaws Comm. Natl. Amer. Water Res. Assoc.
Board Member & Secretary Florida Land Council
*16. Do you currently hold an office or position (appointive, civil service or other) with the federal or any foreign government?
Yes O NoIX If "Yes", please explain.
*17. A. Have you ever been elected or appointed to any public office in this state? Yes 0 No O If "Yes", please state the
office title, date of election or appointment, term of office, and level of government (city, county, district, state, federal):
DATE OF ELECTION
OFFICE TITLE OR APPOINTMENT TERM OF OFFICE LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT
Hillsborough County 4-10-75 4-75-7/78; 7/78-7/82 Local
"Law Library Board
B. If your service was on any appointed boardss, commissions) or council(s):
(1) How often were scheduled meetings? quarterly and on call.
(2) If you did not attend all of the regularly scheduled meetings, please state the number of such meetings you attended and
the number you missed with the reasons) for your absence(s).
Do not recall missing a meeting.
18. Have you ever been suspended from any office by the Governor of the State of Florida? Yes O NoK If "Yes", please list:
A. Title of office: C. Reason for suspension:
B. Date of suspension: D. Result: Reinstated 0 Removed D Resigned O
19. Have you ever before been appointed to any office that required confirmation by the Florida Senate? Yes 0 No ,i
If "Yes", please list:
A. Title of office:
B. Term of appointment:
C. Confirmation results:
20. Have you been a registered lobbyist at any time during the past five (5) years? YesTI No O If "Yes",:
A. Did you receive any compensation? Yes IS No O
B. Name the entity you represented: Southwest Florida Water Management District;
Metropolitan Life Ins. Co.; Florida Cattlemen's Assn.;
Ringling Museum of Art.
21. If you are appointed, do you know of any reason whatsoever why you will not be able to attend fully to the duties of the office or
position to which you have been appointed? Yes O No @ if "Yes", please explain:
8. Have you ever used or been kn by any other name? Yes ( No 0 If ', please explain:
9. Are you a United States citizen? Yes No 0 If "No", please explain:
If you are a naturalized citizen, date of naturalization:
10. Continuous resident of Florida since: birth
11. Are you a registered Florida voter? Yes [I No 0 If "Yes", please list:
A. County of registration: Hillsborouqh B. Party Affiliation: Democrat
A. High School Plant City High School Year Graduated: 1945
B. List all post-secondary educational institutions attended:
NAME & LOCATION DATES ATTENDED CERTIFICATES/DEGREES
University of Florida Feb. 47-Aug. 50 Bachelor of Science
(Gainesville) in Education
Aug. 62-Dec. 64 Juris Doctor
13. Are you or have you ever been a member of the armed forces of the United States? YesE No O If "Yes", please list:
A. Dates of service: July 1945 Jan. 1950
SB U. S. Navy Reserve (Active)
B. Branch or component:
C. Date & type of discharge: Jan. 29, 1947 Honorable (COG)
14. Have you ever been arrested, charged or held by federal, state or other law enforcement authorities for violation of any federal
law, state law, county or municipal law, regulation or ordinance? (Exclude traffic violations for which a fine of $100.00 or less
was imposed.) Yes O No 3 If "Yes", give details:
DATE PLACE NATURE DISPOSITION
15. A. State your experiences and interests or elements of your personal history that qualify you for appointment. If you are an
office holder, please provide that information, too.
Special Asst. Atty. Gen. (Statutory Rev/Bill Drafting) Jan.-July, 1965
Atty. to Ch. of Sen.Urban Aff.& Local Gov. Comm., 1967
Atty. to Senate Nat.Res. & Cons. Comm. (or to its Chairman) ,1969/70/71
Atty. (and subsequently General Counsel) to SWFWMD, 1965-1983
Active participation in Environmental and Administrative Law practice
for past 20 years, representing governmental and private interests in
a wide variety of environmental matters. Have participated in numerous
Florida Bar CLE and other seminars on environmental law.
"* B. Have you received degrees, professional certifications or designations related to the subject matter of this office?
Yes el No O If "Yes", please list.
Florida Bar Designations: Environmental Law; Administrative and
Governmental Law; Trial, General.
Sponsor a Tampa Bay area monthly water discussion group for past 8 yrs.
Sponsor and conduct annual week-long seminar on Florida Water
Management (7th annual meeting scheduled Jan. 1988).
QUESTIONNAIRE FOR EXECUTI4 APPOINTMENTS
FOR OFFICE USE ONLY
Office: Bd/Pos No. /
Date of Appointment: Term Ending: TCD
Type of Appointment: New D Reappointment D Unexpired Term 0 Cnty
Hndc_ S R
The information from this questionnaire will be used by the GOVERNOR'S OFFICE and, where applicable, the FLORIDA
SENATE in considering action on your confirmation. Please complete each blank on the questionnaire. Please type or use black
* 1. Name: Blain Lester Merrin
"Last First Mmddle/Maien
"*2. Business Address: 202 Madison Street Tampa
Street Ofhce Cty
Florida 33602 (813) 223-3888
Post Ofhce Box State Zip Code Area Code/Phonr Number
*. d 801 South Boulevard Tampa
"* 3. Residence Address:
Street Apartment CGty
Florida 33606 (813) 253-0242
Post Office Box State Zip Code Area Code/Phone Number
Please specify the preferred mailing address: Business If Residence D
4. A. List all your places of residence during the last five (5) years.
ADDRESS -CITY & STATE FROM TO
801 South Boulevard Tampa, Florida 33606 1965-Present
B. List all your former and current residences outside of Florida that you have maintained at any time during adulthood.
ADDRESS CITY & STATE FROM TO
None lifetime Florida resident
*5. Date of Birth: August 9, 1927 Place of Birth: Plant City, Florida
6. Social Security Number: 263-32-1949
7. Driver's License Number: B450-533-27-289 Issuing State: Florida
GUBERNATORIAL APPOINTMENTS ONLY
Please complete each blank on all five pages of the questionnaire and return it to the Governor's Office, Appointments Office, The
Capitol, Tallahassee, Florida 32301. The information from this page of the questionnaire will be used exclusively by the GOVER-
NOR'S OFFICE. Please type or use black ink only.
SBoard of Interest: Environmental Efficiency Study Commission
1. Board of Interest:
2. Occupation (exact title): Atto
3. Do you have any handicapping or disabling conditions? Yes 0 No 0E If "Yes", please explain.
"* 4. Sex Male fE Female O
* 5. Race White, non-Hispanic (W) B American Indian/Alaskan Native (A) 0
Hispanic (H) 0 Asian/Pacific Islander (P) 0
Black (B) 0
6. Are you willing to file financial disclosure statements while serving in an appointed position? Yes E0 No 0
NOTE: Filing financial disclosure statements generally includes reporting: (1) all sources of income exceeding five percent (5%)
of your gross salary; (2) income to a business entity exceeding ten percent (10%) of its total income and ten percent (10%) of'your
income; (3) location and description of real property; (4) all persons who gave you gifts in excess of $100; and (5) every debt
which exceeds your net worth.
Signature of Applicant
NOTE: This information will be used to satisfy Equal Employment Opportunity reporting and research requirements.
H For office use (R()sd 1/i5)
EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR, THE CAPITOL