January 10, 1973
| TO: DONALD R. FEASTER, ACTING EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
FROM: JAMES A. MANN, ACTING DIRECTOR, WATER RESOURCES DIV.
SUBJECT: LITTLE MANATEE RIVER POWER PLANT
Wednesday,' January 3, 1973, Malcolm Johnson and I met with
W. J. Barrow (Florida Power and Light) and Carl Fick (Consultant
to FPL) to discuss subject plant in regard to a SWFWMD permit
for water withdrawal from the Little Manatee River.
The net result of the meeting was that FPL will be asking (by letter)
what are SWFWMD's (Staff and Basin Board) specific requirements
for the granting of a permit to withdraw cooling water from the river.
The following details were discussed at the meeting:
I. The request for a withdrawal of 155-160 percent of need, which
seems to be excessive, was established by FPL because: (1)
pumps will not be capable of withdrawing less than 5 cfs
(2) down time for maintenance will restrict pumping (3) the
accuracy of streamflow records on which withdrawals are
based, and (4) more severe droughts than that of record
might occur. My feelings are that 155-160 percent is
extra padding and that 125 percent will ultimately be
acceptable to them. I recommend 125 percent.
'II. Their pumping capacity has already been increased to 200 cfs
as we recommended.
III. FPL continues to request no regulation during initial reservoir
filling except that imposed by their pumping capacity and the
Department of Natural Resources 40 cfs pumping level; binding
recognition of reasonable use; allocation of use; temporary
suspension of limits; automatic reissue of any permit and
no further restriction, condition or action on their part.
Granting of almost all of these would be in violation of
pending legislation under which SWFWMD probably will be
operating at the time this plant becomes operational.
I believe that restrictions could be made somewhat more
liberal during the initial reservoir filling period if it
was apparent that FPLts testing and operation deadlines
. could not be met otherwise. Mr. Barrow mentioned that
,FPL had a new plant under permit by Central and Southern
Florida Flood Control District in Martin County and that
that agency had agree to no restrictions during the initial
". r'';:j~' 7li~n i..~ +
...--. ,,-.. ,,,f.... -,.w .-.s- v -v rw ijSW f?' r:f :w -v ."~** -- **..*. *..- :>'- ..",--' "- ** ** *.-.*.y -1-.--*>'***;-'*'- -^ *- "' **1
DONALD R. FEASTER
January 10, 1973
The temporary suspension of restrictions during
emergencies should be handled as the need arises and
could be so stated in a permit. The agency charged
with management of the resource being used should have
an input to decide what is an emergency.
We were not prepared to make our specific requirement known at
this meeting because there were several engineering design questions
that had not been answered prior to the meeting. I indicated to
Mr. Barrow that if the letter of request (with permit application)
came in reasonably soon a Basin Board meeting could be scheduled for
late January or early February.