Drawing of the Plaza of the Americas on the University of Florida campus with placement of trees

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Drawing of the Plaza of the Americas on the University of Florida campus with placement of trees
Physical Description:
Artifact
Language:
English
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Plaza of the Americas
University of Florida
Genre:
Spatial Coverage:

Notes

Summary:
1 plan: b, w, and green, 30 cm x 33 cm. Summary: A plan showing the location of the twenty-two trees planted on the Plaza of the Americas. Each tree is drawn using green ink and the name of the country represented is printed beside it. "Location of the trees"
Abstract:
(From "History" on the Center for Latin American Studies website.) At the University of Florida’s commencement ceremonies on June 2, 1930, President John J. Tigert announced the creation of the Institute for Inter-American Affairs (IIAA), the first such research center in the United States to focus on Latin America. Having served as US Commissioner of Education (1922-28), Tigert was well aware of the growing interest in foreign affairs in the nation’s political, commercial and academic circles and sought to promote the "Good Neighbor Policy" of the Hoover and Roosevelt administrations. Interest in Latin America at the University of Florida is also a natural result of Florida's geographical proximity to the Caribbean and South America, its Spanish heritage, and its large Spanish-speaking population. To demonstrate UF’s commitment to "better cultural and economic relations between the United States and Latin America," the President awarded an honorary degree to a Latin American citizen for the first time, Cuban Ambassador to the United States, Dr. Orestes Ferrara. Over the subsequent decades the institute evolved into what is known today as the Center for Latin American Studies. The Institute’s inaugural conference was held in February 1931 as part of the celebratory events marking the university’s 25th year in Gainesville. The Plaza of the Americas was dedicated at the closing ceremony with 21 live oaks planted on the university quadrangle, one for each of the republics of the Americas of the time.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Holding Location:
University of Florida Archives
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID:
UF00017839:00001