Miami and Miami Beach in Colors (1129)
CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00005327/00001
 Material Information
Title: Miami and Miami Beach in Colors (1129)
Physical Description: Book
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: ltqf - AAA6629
System ID: UF00005327:00001

Full Text
MI MI
MIA mBEAC
IN








Miami and Miami Beach

THE MAGIC CITY
The great outstanding fact about Miami is that it is the
only tropical city in the world within easy distance of a great
white population. That fact alone offers Miami an assured
future. The cities of the Riviera and of North Africa are
not in the tropical zone. Havana is tropical but it is 12 hours
further from New York than Miami.
Miami is in latitude 25 degrees 48 minutes north which
is 300 miles south of the latitude of Cairo, Egypt. It is in
the same latitude as the desert of Sahara, Arabia and north-
ern India. It has a modified tropical marine climate with a
mean annual temperature of 75, with winter mean of 68 and
summer mean of 81. In the Riviera the winter mean runs
from 42 to 48, in northern Africa 54 or 55. Miami is in the
only tropical region of the United States with cocoanut palms,
royal palms, mango, pineapple, banana and hundreds of trees,
shrubs and plants that are native to this region having been
brought here by natures process from the West Indies.
There is no greater charm to entrance one than the
charm of the tropics. One who has never seen the tropics
does not really know what color is. The scarlets and blues
and greens of sky and water and flowers and birds and fishes
and even the man made colors of roofing tiles and paints are
so focused and enhanced in the moisture laden brilliant air
that they seem to breathe, to have life and motion.
And too the soothing sudden sunset of the tropic has an
effect upon frayed nerves like that of a glass of champagne.
One can feel this at Miami Beach. The brilliant light of the
sun is suddenly shaded and the soft suffused light seems to
soothe the million nerve end organs of the body producing
a feeling of absolute repose.
Miami too is the axis of the most wonderful roads in
America. They reach to regions that have never been ex-
plored, the south west section of Florida, a region of man-
grove jungles and swamps and the region of the thirty





































TOURISTS IN BAY FRONT PARK













































ST LAKE, MIAI


ilr

i i
BvuII Ai Irr!IIQIII
ii .%I
ir


BEACH







The Village of Tegesta
There was an extensive Indian village on the site of
Miami when Menendez de Aviles, the famous Spanish ad-
miral and founder of St. Augustine, sent an expedition to
explore the region in 1567. Menendez had been told by an
Indian guide of a great lake in the south of Florida called
Maymi and of a river of sweet water, Maymi, which flowed
out of this lake to the east at Tegesta at the head of the
Florida Keys. This was the Indian village of Tegesta ruled
by a chief of the same name. The people of Tegesta were
fishermen and were whale hunters during the winter season.
The technique of the whale fishers was very exact. An
Indian in full panoply of paint made a quick dash at the
whale in his canoe, threw a lasso loop around it and pierced
its nostrils with a pointed stake which he carried in his belt
thus preventing it diving. Then the rest of the Indians attacked
and killed it and hauled it up the beach. Its head was opened
by the man who had first attacked and two bones were
taken out and placed in a case in which the bones of the
dead were kept.
It had been the custom of the chief of Tegesta to kill
all the Christians cast away on his shores. Menendez had
however before this established friendly relations with Carlos
who was chief at the village of Carlos on what is now
called Charlotte Bay on the west coast and married his
sister Dona Antonia. Carlos then ceased the practice of
sacrificing Christian slaves and captives to his savage gods.
Tegesta who was a relative of Carlos also became friendly
with the Spaniards and when in 1566 60 Spanish mutineers
who had siezed a vessel of Menendez and set sail for Havana
were driven by storm into the harbor at the head of the
Florida Keys (Biscayne Bay) he received them with good
will and told them of a neighboring village where twenty
Christians were living.
When Menendez came to Tegesta he made a friendly
compact with the chief who gave him his brother and two
other chiefs to take to Spain. During his stay of four days
Brother Francesco was settled there, a cross erected, a block






house built and a company of soldiers were left in charge.
Brother Villareal was afterward stationed at Tegesta teach-
ing the children but the soldiers killed an uncle of the chief-
tain and the savages tore down the crosses, burned the houses
of the Spaniards, killed many of them and drove away the
others.
Father Segura founded another settlement there in -569
but it was withdrawn in 1570.
These Indian tribes were later conquered by the Semi-
noles, a migrating tribe of the Creeks of Georgia. During
the Seminole Indian wars the United States erected Fort
Dallas on the Miami to command the southern part of
Florida.
In 1896 when the Florida East Coast Railway came into
Miami Fort Dallas had been converted into an Indian trad-
ing post with the small stone fort, a store house and two
dwellings. Mr. Flagler begun the construction of the Hotel
Royal Palm at the mouth of the Miami River in that year
and the population had increased to 266 people when the
village was incorporated in July 1896. The earliest settlers
were the Brickells and the Tuttles. In 1900 the population
was 1681 in 1910 5471. Between 1910 and 1930 Miami had
the greatest growth of any city in the United States. In
1920 the population was 29,571, an increase of over 400 per
cent. From 1920 to 1930 there was again an increase of 400
per cent the population of Miami, Miami Beach, Coral
Gables, Hialeah and South Miami having increased to about
160,000.
But the miracle of the growth of the Magic City is
something more than mere population figures can tell for
the building of that Jewel of a City in the brief span of
four years is like a tale from the Arabian Nights. And the
process of the building was one of the most dramatic hap-
penings in the life of any city. For the city was built in
the years of the Florida boom of 1922 to 1926 when Miami
real estate values were climbing to extravagant heights. The
building permits for the years 1924, 1925 and 1926 totaled
$187,000,000, the banner year being 1925 with $103,000,000.












































AIR VIEW OF BAY FRONT PARK AND SKYSCRAPERS OF MIAMI







BATHING BEACH, MIAMI BEACH


ROMAN POOLS. MIAMI BEACH







Of this total for the three year period $112,000,000 was for
Miami, $29,000,000 for Miami Beach, $42,000,000 for Coral
Gables. In the fall of 1925 the hotels could not accommo-
date the rush of visitors looking for real estate investments,
private homes were filled up and tent colonies sprang up.
6,000 were arriving and 2,000 leaving every day and specula-
tion was at fever heat.
Biscayne Boulevard is one of the most beautiful boule-
vards in America rivalling Riverside Drive, New York, and
Sheridan Road, Chicago. To create its magnificent propor-
tions 23 highly improved city blocks were cut back. It is 15
miles long from East Flagler at the Bay Front to the north-
ern limits of Greater Miami. It is 100 feet wide and is bor-
dered by royal palms and distinctive white way lighting
throughout its whole length. At the lower end it assumes a
majestic appearance with a width of 260 feet with four
traffic ways and parked with lawns and royal palms. On
one side as it approaches Flagler are towering skyscrapers
and on the Bay side the lawns and walks and garden plots
of Bay front Park. It cost $5,000,000 to complete ard brings
the Dixie Highway and U. S. Highway No. 1 into the city.
Bay Front Park at the foot of Flagler Street was com-
pleted in 1928 at a cost of $2,500.000. It is a haven of dense
tropical foliage and blooming plants with many varieties of
palms. It has a hand shell and daily band concerts by the
Kilties band during the tourist season and many events are
held here that draw large crowds to the big open air amphi-
theatre. The park covers 62 acres and 30 varieties of palms
and 150 varieties of tropical vegetation are represented there.
Almost the whole area of the park is reclaimed land. It was
formerly called Royal Palm Park, the Flagler Hotel, the
Royal Palm Hotel facing upon it. This hotel operated for
25 years.
A circle of royal palms surrounds the hand shell and a
coral rockery in the park is covered with ferns and tropical
growth. At the dock which is located here the fishing
fleet has its headquarters.







The Dade County Courthouse and Miami City Hall is
highest of Miami skyscrapers. It rises 27 stories and cost
about $3,500,000. The county prison is in the top floors.
The first bridge to cross Biscayne Bay was the Collins
Bridge which was built about 1914 by the late John S. Collins
who was also the first to build a home on Miami Beach.
Then the Million Dollar Causeway was built 3/2 miles in
length with a two way double auto roadway and trolley
tracks and walks. This is now called the County Causeway
and was widened three years ago to handle the increasing
traffic. It runs from 13th St. NE on the Miami side. From
here to 5th Street Miami Beach is a distance of four miles.
Palm, Star and Hibiscus Islands which are made land in
Biscayne Bay are reached by this causeway.
The Venetian Causeway was built in 1928 to replace the
Collins bridge. It cost $2,500,000 and runs from 15th Street
N.E. Miami to Dade Boulevard, Miami Beach. The Venetian
Isles in Biscayne Bay and Belle Isle are reached by this
causeway. It is landscaped with palms and tropical shrub-
bery along Collins canal to 23rd.
The 79th Street Causeway is a third connecting link be-
tween Miami and Miami Beach running from 79th St. N. E.
Miami to the Isle of Normandy and 71st Street in Miami
Beach.
Biscayne Park is located on the Dixie Highway in the
northern part of the city and is now a part of the incor-
porated city of Miami Shores. There are beautiful lawns
and very fine Botanical Gardens with a wealth of tropical
flora.
Experimental Station (U. S. Department of Agriculture).
South on Brickell Ave. Open to public. Many varieties of
tropical plant life.

MIAMI BEACH

Miami Beach is the most beautiful winter playground in
America today and there is much doubt if it can be sur-
passed the world over, even on the Riviera. Years ago when














SUNNY ISLES. MIAMI BEACH


VENETIAN CAUSEWAY TO MIAMI BEACH
_;raUm a im





VENETIAN POOL. CORAL GABLES


VENETIAN GONDOLA ON MIAMI BEACH LAGOONS






Carl Fisher and his associates started to develop the Keys
it was a region of mangrove swamps. The dense tropic
jungle had to be cleared away the marshes filled in, cause-
ways built, drainage canals and lagoons (lug, the whole
peninsula landscaped and planted, roads built. Now it is a
fairyland of palms, tropical trees, shrubs, plants and flowers.
It has a string of magnificent hotels and apartment houses,
the beautiful estates of many millionaires, 7 ocean front
casios, 4 polo fields, 4 golf courses, two beautiful parks.
The Deauville casino is the largest salt water pool in the
world.
The investment in 34 ocean front homes from 14th St.
north to the exclusive Bath Club is $8,000,000, an average
of $35,000 per estate. In seven years $17,000,000 was spent
in building 950 residences in Miami Beach. 41 of these costing
$50,000 or over.
One of the great achievements was the creation of a
number of islands in Bay Biscayne. Belle Isle. Pahn Island.
Star Island, the Venetian Isles and the Sunset Isles. The
course of the annual motor boat Regatta is off the shores
of these islands, and this event brings annually 50.000 visitors.
John S. Collins was the first man of wealth to build a
home on Miami Beach, he having built there in 1914. James
H. Snowden, the Oklahoma oil king, built here and Harvey
Firestone, the Akron rubber magnate afterward bought the
Snowden estate. Other millionaires who built winter homes
here were Carl Fisher, of Indianapolis; Fred Tod, of Youngs-
town, Ohio; John Hertz, of Chicago; J. R. Francis, of Flint,
Mich.; J. C. Elston, of Chicago; Gar Wood. of Detroit; Ed-
ward Johnson, of New Brunswick, N. J.; Albert D. Lasker,
of Chicago: Roy Chapin, of Detroit; Chas. J. Fisher, of Fisher
Bro., Detroit; J. C. Penney, the chain store magnate.

CORAL GABLES

About 1921 George E. Merrick, owner of the largest grape
fruit and avocado groves of Southern Florida began the work
of creating Coral Gables, a suburb of Miami with a distinct
individuality, an adaption of the architecture of old Spain






in a tropical setting upon the rolling expanses of the Glades.
The finest architects the best landscape gardeners colla-
borated in creating "-ity with magnificently wide boulevards
adorned with several gateways that are architectural gems,
notably the Granada and Alhambra. There are several mag-
nificent plazas 600 feet in circumference and ornamented with
tropical flowers and vines and with the warm coloring of
the arched gateways of coral rock and the vine covered
cloister walls.
(oral Gables has the magnificent $5,000,000 Miami-
Biltmore Hotel and sports center with a country club adjoin-
ing with two golf courses. It also has the Venetian Pool,
an open air pool 3(X) ft. by 200 hewed out of native coral rock
and beautified with threes, shrubs, cascades, grottos and an
artificial island with cocoanut palms. During the first 5 years
2000 full grown cocoanut palms 30 to 40 feet high were set
out and altogether 100,000 trees, shrubs and flowering plants.
The homes of Coral Gables are a distinctive interpreta-
tion of the Mediterranean type of architecture with spacious
loggias and patios, tiled porches and terraces, and Old Span-
ish tile roofs.
The University of Miami here has in endowment of
$15,000,000 and conducts much of its work out of doors.

FACTS ABOUT MIAMI

The population of the suburban cities of Miami were as
follows in the 1930 census: Miami Beach, 6395: Coral Gables,
5679: Hollywood, 2929; Hialesh, 2597: South Miami, 1160.
Miami has the fourth largest hotel capacity in the United
States, 170 hotels in Greater Miami with capacity for 40,000
people. 1600 apartment houses with accommodation for 40,000.
Northern terminus of Pan-Amtrican Airways Inc., largest
aerial transport system in the world connecting the U. S.
with 17 foreign countries in the West Indies, Central and
South America. 58 multi-motored airplanes fly 9700 miles
daily over this route out of Miami.
Ocean temperature at Miami Beach is about 75 in winter,
never below 70 and 84 in summer.




G POOL OF NAUTILUS HOTEL


McALLISTER AND COLUMBUS HOTELS











aS a B~a .
jiii wP* 0* iia
' Iv i u imi
20ritoiii.
|Btfbi8B|w


FLEETWOOD HOTEL
MIAMI BEACH


FLAMINGO HOTEL. MIAMI BEACH







The Clyde Line operates two new ships, the most palatial
of coastwise vessels flying the American flag. They are the
Shawnee and Iroquois costing $5.000,000 each, with a speed
of 22 knots per hour and each accommodating 700 passengers.
Biscayne Bay extends along the coast for 35 miles and
at Miami is three miles wide. It connects with the inside
waterway from the north and house boats, power boats,
yachts come down to Miami each winter. During the winter
the finest yachts in the country are anchored in Biscayne Bay.
Miami Beach is a peninsula 9 miles long and at its widest
part one mile wide. The ocean beach is very fine sloping
gradually for 1000 feet.
Several million acres in the Florida Everglades are being
reclaimed by the state. 200,000 acres have been reclaimed in
Dade County with dykes, dams and canals and tropical
fruits and winter vegetables are grown there.
Among the more recent achievements at Miami are the
Miami Harbor deepeng project to 25 feet, $5,000,000: new
Bay Front Park, $2,000,000; Biscayne Bouleward, $5,000,000:
Venetian Causeway, $2500,000; 5 new theatres, $2,000,000; new
Clyde line ships, $5,000,000: new docks and warehouses,
$1,000.000: new hotels and apartments, $150,000,000; widening
Dade County Causeway, $1 .0(10.I0t): Dade County court house.
$3,500,000; new office buildings. $12,000.000: Dade drainage
district. 200,000 acres, $2,00,000: new public utilities. $15.-
000,000: street paving and bridge $5,000,000: new federal
highway to Jacksonville, $12,000.000: Seabord Airline railway
extension into Miami. $25,000,000: Florida East Coast Rail-
way double tracking and improvements. $61.000,000.

POINTS OF INTEREST
PUBLIC BL'IIDIN;GS
Court House and City Hall--\. Flagler St. N. WX. and 1st Av.
Chamber of Commerce-151 N. E. 1st St.
Post Office-60 N. E. 1st St.
Flagler Memorial Library-1737 N. Bayshore Dr.
Department of Publicity of Miami-(ity Hall.
Cocoanut Grove Library-2873 McFarlane Rd.






ARCADES
Art Stone Arcade-530 N. Miami Ave.
Central Arcade-39 E. Flagler St.
Commercial Arcade-127 N. E. 1st Ave.
Federal Arcade-37 N. W. 1st St.
Flagler Arcade-144 E. Flagler St.
Halcyon Arcade-147 E. Flagler St.
Halcyon Arcade (old)-161 E. Flagler St.
Lorraine Arcade-114 E. Flagler St.
McAllister Arcade-307 E. Flagler St.
Strand Arcade-8 N. E. 1st St.
Vail Arcade--245 E. Flagler St.
Shoreland Arcade, 210 E. Flagler St.
CLUBS AND SOCIETIES
Miami Women's Club-737 N. Bay Shore Dr.
Biscayne Bay Yacht Club-Foot S. E. 2nd St.
Elks Club-9 N. E. 3rd Ave.
Miami Motor Club-Columbus Hotel Bldg.
Great Southern Motor Club-448 N. W. 20th St.
Biscayne Club-760 N. E. 64th St.
Miami Jockey Club-8th Floor Ingraham Bldg.
Y. M. C. A.-N. E. 3rd Ave. and 1st St.
Y. W. C. A.-110 S. E. 1st Ave.
Magic City Athletic Club-1 S. W. 1st St.
Exchange Club-Shoreland Arcade.
COUNTRY CLUBS AND GOLF CLUBS
Miami Country Club-N. W. N. River Dr.
South Florida Golf and Country Club-Huntington Bay.
Miami Municipal Golf Course-Country Club Estates.
Municipal Golf Course-Coral Gables.
Miami Biltmore Country Club-Coral Gables.
La Gorce Golf Club-Miami Beach.
Bay Shore Golf Club--Miami Beach.
Miami Beach Municipal Golf Course.
Hialeah Golf Course-Hialeah.
Golf Park Golf Course-Gratigny Blvd.
Hollywood Golf Course-Hollywood.




PATIO OF IDA I FISHER HIGH SCHOOL.
MIAMI BEACH


BUSY FLAGLER STREET.
I MIAMI



^z i
:I jR~


.4-



K ~irl






PARKS

Bayfront Park-Foot of Flagler St.; band concerts daily.
Biscayne Park-N. E. 2nd Ave. and 19th St. City nursery.
Brickell Park-S. E. 5th St. and Brickell Ave
Cocoanut Grove Park-S. W. Dixie Highway near Water
Works.
Henderson Park-N. W. 9th Ave. and 2nd St.; 8 tennis courts.
Jungle Park-S. Miami Ave. and S. W. 15th St.
Miami Field (Athletic)-N. W. 16th Ave. and 3rd St. 6 base-
ball diamonds, 2 football fields.
Riverside Park-S. W. 3rd St. and 7th Av.; baseball, football.
Water Works Jark-N. W. 7th Ave. and 36th St.
\ynwcod Park-N. W. 34th St. and 2nd Ave.: baseball.

HOSPITALS

Dade County Ilospital-2000 N. W. 7th Ave.
Jackson Memorial-N. W. 10th Ave. and 17th St.
Boulevard Hospital-265 N. F. 29th St.
Riverview Hospital-642 N. W. 3rd St.
Southside Hospital-1121 S. Miami Ave.
Gowdy Hospital-41 S. E. 6th St.
Battle Creek South Hospital.
DOCKS AND RAILWAY STATIONS

Florida East Coast Docks-N. Bay Shore Dr. and 6th St.
Municipal Docks-1001 Biscayne Blvd.
P. & 0. Ducks-Biscayne Blvd. and 7th St. N. E.
Terminal Docks-Biscayne Blvd. and 7th St. N. E.
Florida East Coast Depot-N. W. 1st Av. and 2nd St.
Seabord Station-N. W. 7th Ave. and N. WV. 22nd St.

AIRPORTS

Pan-American Airways, Inc.
Hialeah Air Field-Chicago and New York Atlanta-Miami
air mail.
Miami Municipal Airport.
Sea-plane Base-at Venetian Isles.






VARIOUS POINTS OF INTEREST
Experimental Station (U. S. Dept. of Agric.)-Brickell Ave.
Millionaires Row on Point View-on Brickell Ave.
James Deering Estate, Villa Viscaya-on Brickell Rd.
Win. J. Matheson Estate-Cocoanut Grove.
Fishing Dock-Bayfront Park.
Under-Sea (ardens-Reached by glass bottom boats from
docks in Bavfront Park.
Yacht Anchorage.
Miami Stadium-capacity for 60,000.

MIAMI BEACH
City Hall-1130 Washington Ave.
Chamber of Con-merce-5th St. and Alton Rd.
Post Office-1125 5th St.
John S. Collins Memorial Library-1623 Michigan Ave.
Ida M. Fisher High School-1450 Drexel Ave.
Coburn Schcol-Pine Tree Drive on Indian Creek.
Deauville Casino-Hibiscus Island.
Cocolobo Cay Club-846 Lincoln Rd.
Roman Pools and Roney Phza Casino- Collins Ave.
Pancoast Pool-Collins Ave.
Ocean Drive Casino-14th St.
Nautilus Hotel Pool-Alton Rd.
Flamingo Hotel Pool-Alton Rd.
Sunny Isles Casino-North Bay Rd.
La Gorce Golf Club-Alton Rd.
Miami Beach Golf Course-Pine Tree Dr.
Allison Hospital-on Allison Island in Indian Creek.
Lumn:us Park-Ocean front, 8 blocks long, bathing.
Flamingo Park (open air theater)-Alton Rd.
Collins Park-Collins Av.
Miami Beach Rod and Reel Club.
Miami Beach Kennel Club.
Spanish Village.
Miami Beach Yacht Club.
Miami Beach Hospital-952 Collins Ave.




VENETIAN POOL. CORAL GABLES


TROPICAL GARDEN OF WORTHINGTON ESTATE




NAUTILUS HOTEL. MIAMI BEACH


DEAUVILLE CASINO AND BATHING POOL, MIAMI BEACH


r~tsz -
~?I-: -~T
rr
~Ft~
e~~`.~--c"






CORAL GABLES

City Hall-303 Alhambra Plaza.
University of Miami-Ave. Anastasia.
Coral Cables Golf and County Club-Granada Blvd. and N.
Greenway Dr.
Chamber of Commerce-Renuart Bldg.
Miami Biltmore Country Club-Ave. Anastasia and Esplanade
Columbus.
Post Office-Alhambra Arch and Galiano St.
Club Madrid-2506 Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables Shrine Club-42 Alma Ave.
Venetian Pool.
Tahiti Beach and Coral Gables Waterway.

HIALEAH

City Hall-Palm Ave. and 6th St.
Chamber of Commerce-C. of C. Bldg.
Miami Jockey Club-Palm Ave. and 25th St.
Miami Kennel Clubs-Palm Ave. and 23rd St.
Jai Alai Fronton, world's finest.
Hialeah Airport.
Seminole Indian Village and Alligator Farm.

OPA-LOCKA
Administration Bldg .
Florida Power and Light Co. Experimental Farm.
Glenn Curtis Papaya Farm.
Opa Locka Pool.

ROYAL PALM STATE PARK

This is the only tropical park in the United States. It
embraces an area of 4.000 acres in the midst of the Ever-
glades, including the wonderful Paradise Key, a high ham-
mcck in the Everglades, the vegetation of which is mille-
niums old. It is surrounded by swamps and a deep slough







on its eastern side never becomes dry even in the dryest
weather, and its isolation has saved the hammock from fire.
Again, the density of its forest growth has prevented hurri-
canes from felling its giant trees. Its tropic growth is that
of dim equatorial forests with giant trees and dense under-
growth of ferns and lianas. Dr. Simpson estimated there
are 2,000 specimens of the royal palm in the park, many of
them 100 to 120 feet high and towering regally over the other
vegetation. Among other tropical trees in the park are the
satin leaf, persimmon, strangler fig, coral bean, gumbo limbo,
poison wood, ink wood, papaw, spice wood, bustic, cocoplum,
palmetto, alligator apple, West Indian cherry, wild tamarind,
Paradise Tree, black ironwood, tetrazygia bicolor, bois fidele,
wild coffee. About 250 kinds of plants grow naturally on
the Key, 180 of which are flowering plants, and the others
mosses, ferns, lichens, etc.
Until the Ingraham Highway was b uilt it was extremely
difficult to penetrate the saw grass of the Everglades. Para-
dise Key was discovered by John and Marion Soar. although
Mr. Kirk Munroe saw it from a distance in 1881.
The park was created in 1915 and was turned over by
the State of Florida to the Federation of Women's Clubs.
It comprised originally 960 acres, to which was added 960
acres donated by Mrs. Henry M. Flagler. 2,000 acres have
since been added, so that the park now covers 6V2 square
miles. The Ingraham Highway passes through the park.
Several trail for pedestrians have been cut into the deep
jungles and there is a lodge in the park, where the park
warden lives, with rest rooms and sleeping accommodations
for visitors.
A Bird Sanctuary has been created at the park and great
flocks fly there every night to rest. The White Ibis is quite
common there and the Snowy Heron, which was being ex-
terminated, is beginning to increase. Even the Roseate Spoon-
bill, which was becoming a great rarity, may now be seen
at the sanctuary.






MOTOR BOAT RACES. MIAMI BEACH


BAY FRONT PARK. MIAMI



























PANILUAST HOTEL. MIAMI BEACH



-.






































Ii. -7


1 Riverside Park.
2 Bay Front Park.
4 North River Drive.
5 South River Drive.
6 Miami Athletic Field.
7 Royal Palm Golf Links.
8 Jackson Memorial Hosp.
0 Musa Isle.
10 U.S. Experimental Garden
11 Race Track, Hialeah .
14 Jai Alai Fronton, Hialcah
15 Bay Shore Golf Course
16 Flamingo Park
17 Miami Beach Golf Course
18 Polo Field
20 Flamingo Hotel
21 University of Miami
22 Lilrary & Women's Club
23 Air Mail Field, Hialeah
24 Hialeah Golf Club
25 Coral Gables Golf Club
26 Venetian Pool, Coral
Gables
27 La Gorce Golf Course,
Miami Beach
28 Lummus Park
30 Deauville Casino
35 Seminole Indian Camp


MIAMI AND MIAMI BEACH











1 Riverside Park.
2 Bay Front Park.
4 North River Drive.
5 South River Drive.
6 Miami Athletic Field.
7 Royal Palm Golf Links.
8 Jackson Memorial Hosp.
9 Musa Isle.
10 U.S. Experimental Garden
11 Race Track, Hialeah -
14 Jai Alai Fronton, Hialeah
15 Bay Shore Golf Course
16 Flamingo Park
17 Miami Beach Golf Course
18 Polo Field
20 Flamingo Hotel
21 University of Miami
22 LiLrary & Women's Club
23 Air Mail Field, Hialeah
24 Hialeah Golf Cluh
25 Coral Gables Golf Club
26 Venetian Pool, (oral
Gables
27 La Gorce Golf Course,
Miami Beach
28 Lummus Park
30 Deauville Casino
35 Seminole Indian Camp


MIAMI AND MIAMI BEACH
























MIAMI BILTMORE HOTEL
COUNTRY CLUB AND GOLF
COURSE. CORAL GABLES


SPANISH MOORISH RESIDENCE CORAL GABLES




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2011 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated May 24, 2011 - Version 3.0.0 - mvs