Teaching Guides & Materials
The limited access to resources and lesson plans that incorporate the Caribbean in K-12 and higher education prompted dLOC to create this digital collection. The dLOC Teaching Guides & Materials Collection holds materials that facilitate the use of dLOC materials though education modules and other lesson plans. The list below highlights the education modules already available in dLOC. If you are willing to contribute to addition lesson plans that have worked in your classroom, please see the guide to submitting resources and the grant permissions form for more information.
- List of Anglophone Caribbean Novels published before 1950
- Teaching Folk Culture: Images of the Nine Night Traditional Ritual in Zee Edgell’s Beka Lamb and Michelle Cliff’s Abeng
- Teaching Merle Hodge’s Crick Crack, Monkey: A Lesson Plan
- Folklore and Oral Traditions
- Teaching Genocide: Caribbean Dictatorships Compared to the Holocaust
- The American Occupation of Haiti in 1915
- Carifesta Murals
- Mapping the Caribbean
- Teaching Guide for Alejo Carpentier’s The Kingdom of This World
- Zora Neale Hurston's Use of Location, Gender, & Language in the Folk Aesthetic: a Casebook
- Public Haitian Creole : Graffiti, Advertising and Other Messages
- In Teaching C.L.R. James' "Minty Alley": Tricksters, Intellectuals and the Folk
- Caribbean Culture & U.S. Imperialism, Course Syllabus for Graduate Literature Course (LIT 6236)
- Reading Migration, Sexuality, & the Urban Folk: Discussion Questions for Claude McKay's Home to Harlem
- The Folk in Haitian Literature: Lenses for Teaching
- It’s fun to dance: theory of the Haitian Meringue
- Teaching Robert Rossen's 1957 Island in the Sun
- Teaching Derek Walcott's "The Spoiler's Return"
- Cultural Influences During the Spanish-American War (SS: 11-12th grade students; LA : 11-12th grade students; WL: 9-11th grade students)
- Foods that Came to the New World from the Old World (SS: 7th grade World Cultures; WL: Spanish I)
- Morning Girl and the Early Explorers (SS: 8th Grade U.S. History; LA: 8th and 9th Grade Language Arts; WL: Spanish I & II; Fine Arts: Middle and Senior Art Students)
- The Music of Poetry in the Caribbean (LA: 11th grade; WL: Spanish 1, 2 )
- The Myth of Discovery (SS: World History 9th grade; LA: 9th Grade English; WL: Spanish II, includes 9th grade)
- Touring the Caribbean: The Dominican Republic (SS: 7th grade; LA: 7th grade; WL: 7-8th grade)
Digital Library of the Caribbean's Lesson Plan Competition Winners for 2009
The Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) is very excited to announce the winners of the dLOC Lesson Plan Competition. We received entries from a variety of subject areas and grade levels, and are proud to recognize the winners:
- First Prize:
- Second Prize:
The dLOC Lesson Plan Competition was held in 2009 as part of dLOC's work to support its mission to promote Caribbean studies in K-12 education.
dLOC prepared a Teacher Training Workshop targeted to K-12 public school teachers in 2009 for the Miami metropolitan area. The goal of the workshop was to facilitate the use of dLOC materials in curriculum development, and to educate students in the scholarly use of electronic resources.