- Permanent Link:
- A Historical marker for the Emilio Pon's Cigar Factory.
- Ybor City Rotary Club ( Manufacturer )
Cigar City Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 13 x 20 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Print, Photographic ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Emilio Pons Cigar Factory (ne corner of 17th Street and 5th Avenue) ( lctgm )
MartÃÂƒÂ, JosÃÂƒÂ©, 1853-1895 ( lcsh )
Revolutionaries ( lctgm )
Cigar industry ( lctgm )
Historical markers ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- "Emillio Pon's, a pioneer cigar manufacurer and an outstanding public servant , established the first cigar factory of local origin on this site in 1887.
Here on October 17, 1894, Jose' Marti, the Cuban Patriot, made his last Ybor City revolutionary address from the readers pulpit amidst the wild acclaim of the Cuban tobacco workers.
The final words of the prophtic speech were: "We shall triumph! Their hammer blows will be met by a destructive file of steel."
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: