- Permanent Link:
- The New cigar factory of Santaella & Co., Tampa.
- Cigar City Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 postcard ( 3 x 5 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Postcard ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
West Tampa (Tampa, Fla.) ( lcsh )
A. Santaella and Company (1906 North Armenia Avenue) ( lcsh )
Cigar industry ( lctgm )
Streets -- North Armenia Avenue ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- By 1892 Hugh Macfarlane was offering to donate land and construct factories for cigar manufacturers who agreed to locate in West Tampa. The first to respond was A. (Antonio) del Pino & Company, an old firm which had established itself in Cuba in 1845 and then in Key West in 1878. Its West Tampa factory, located at Howard Avenue and Union Street, was finished and making cigars, with sixty employees, by June 15, 1892. West Tampa's pace picked up in 1893, with establishment of another new factory, Julius Ellinger and Company. Gradually, a stream of important companies took up Macfarlane's offer, including the following: Cuesta-Rey (1896); Berriman, which later became Morgan Cigar Company (1903); A. Santaella (1904); and PendÃÂƒÂ¡s and Alvarez (1909).
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: