- Permanent Link:
- Wood-framed Sanchez y Haya Factory No. 1 at corner of Seventh Avenue and Fifteenth Street in Ybor City.
- Hillsborough County Library System ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 20 x 25 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Print, Photographic ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Sanchez and Haya Factory (corner 7th Avenue and 15th Street) ( nmc )
Cigar Industry ( lctgm )
Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.) ( lcsh )
Streets -- 7th Avenue ( lctgm )
Streets -- 15th Street ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- The first factory of Sanchez & Haya, where Tampa's first clear Havana cigars were produced in 1886. Haya constructed a two story wooden factory at the corner of Seventh Avenue and 15th Street. During construction,
he visited a local Tampa banker, Thomas Taliaferro, to inform him that he and Sr. Ybor need an institution of credit to facilitate the transactions involving purchases, sales, collections, and wages for their employees. At first, Taliaferro was unsure about the success of the cigar business in Tampa, but when Haya assured him that initial salaries would amount to more than $10,000 a month, Taliaferro, who was planning to move to Jacksonville, now decided his future was in Tampa. Thanks to the influence of Sr. Haya, he became a successful Tampa banker, and
founder of today's First National Bank.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: