- Permanent Link:
- A Military encampment for local Cuban Americans joining the war to independence in Cuba.
- Tony Pizzo Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 12 x 20 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Print, Photographic ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Military camps ( lctgm )
Spanish American War, 1898. ( lcsh )
Cuban Americans ( lcsh )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- The war in Cuba helped to maintain a precarious unity within the Centro EspaÃÂƒÂ±ol, but once the war ended in 1898, calls for the transformation of the Centro into a mutual aid society gained strength again. The leadership failed to respond, and in 1902 a number of the members decided to ask the Centro Asturiano in Havana for permission to establish an affiliate in Tampa, which would offer medical assistance to its members. The success of the Centro Asturiano forced the officers of the Centro EspaÃÂƒÂ±ol to reconsider their position and agree to transform their organization into a mutual aid society. Once this was done, they attempted to obtain the dissolution of the Tampa
affiliate of the Centro Asturiano, but they were unsuccessful. By failing to recognize the strength of the idea of mutualism, the officers of the Centro EspaÃÂƒÂ±ol undermined the patriotic unity they had championed, for the Centro lost its claim to be the sole representative of the Spanish community in Tampa.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: