- Permanent Link:
- Florida Avenue, Tampa, Fla.
- Tony Pizzo Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 postcard ( 7 x 12 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Postcard ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Le Forte Hotel. (Florida Avenue near Polk Street) ( nmc )
Palmetto Hotel (northeast corner of Florida Avenue (800 block) and Polk Street) ( nmc )
Carriages and coaches ( lctgm )
Horses ( lctgm )
Hotels ( lctgm )
Streets -- Florida Avenue ( lctgm )
Streets -- Polk Street ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
"A view of Florida Avenue facing north from Polk Street circa 1900. At right is the historic Palmetto Hotel built in 1884. Count Rothchild stayed here in the 80's and served as political headquarters for Govenor Mitchel in 1892. During the Spanish-American War it was used by American officers and Cuban refugees. The last owner was T.N. Anderson, Cheif of Police. It was torn down in 1919. The building on the right is the Le Forte Hotel. It had been the old courthouse and moved to this location. For a while it served as Tampa's first hospital. It was destroyed by fire in 1908."
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: