- Permanent Link:
- Tampa From the Palmetto Hotel at the northeastern corner of Florida Avenue (800 block) and Polk Street looking south.
- Tony Pizzo Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 12 x 12 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Print, Photographic ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Aerial views ( lctgm )
Dirt roads ( lctgm )
Neighborhoods ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- Ybor hired Gavino GutiÃÂƒÂ©rrez as a civil engineer to survey the land and to oversee construction.
Workers and supplies came first from Savannah.24 Ybor was so anxious to start that he initiated
construction even before he received his $4,000 from the Board of Trade, and work began on
October 8,1885. Land was first cleared so that GutiÃÂƒÂ©rrez and his surveyors could divide the
property into plots for sale. Don Vicente quickly added to his original forty acres by purchasing
more land from John Lesley, Stephen M. Sparkman, Thomas Spencer, and he also bought land
from Gavino GutiÃÂƒÂ©rrez who had secured it earlier. In addition, Ybor purchased an adjoining fifty
acres which ran from Tampa Heights to the edge of the Hillsborough Bay.25 The first city plan
gave numerical designations to streets running north and south; those running east and west were
named after states of the union. Later, most streets and avenues were given numbers. Haya
likewise purchased large tracts of land.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: