- Permanent Link:
- El CÃÂƒÂrculo Cubano in Ybor City.
- Robertson and Fresh Photographers, 1925-1960 ( Photographer )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 20 x 25 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Lodge ( Building, Structures ) ( nmc )
Circulo Cubano Club (14th Street corner of 10th Avenue) ( nmc )
Clubs ( lctgm )
Streets -- 14th Street ( lctgm )
Streets -- 10th Avenue ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- On October 10, 1899, Cuban immigrants formed a recreational society known as El Club Nacional Cubano. Three years later, the society of three hundred members changed its name to El CÃÂƒÂrculo Cubano. According to the 1902 charter, the CÃÂƒÂrculo Cubano was formed "for the mutual benefit and enjoyment of its members and for the charitable purposes and instruction of its members and the dissemination of knowledge among all classes of people." In order to preserve harmony among its diverse membership, the statutes of the club expressly prohibited any discussion within the society of labor, politics, or religion. In 1917, the Cuban Club opened the doors of its neoclassic clubhouse at 2010 Avenida RepÃÂƒÂºblica de Cuba in Ybor City.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: