| Material Information
||Jose Marti at a rally in Ybor City posing in front of the Ybor (Vincente Martinez) Cigar Factory.
||1 photograph ( 20 x 25 cm )
||Burgert Brothers, 1917- ( Photographer )
||Plant, Industrial ( Building, Structures ) ( nmc )
MartÃÂ, JosÃÂ©, 1853-1895. ( nmc )
Ybor (Vincente Martinez) Cigar Factory (1901 N. 13th Street) ( nmc )
Posing ( lctgm )
Political parades and rallies ( lctgm )
||Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
||Ybor City, the colorful Latin quarter of Tampa, still remembers Jose Marti, the
"George Washington of Cuba." It was from this strategic spot in the United States that the Cuban
patriot stirred up his countrymen to seek independence from Spain.
There is an attractive little park at the corner of Eighth Avenue and 13th Street which honors
Marti. It features a handsome statue of Marti standing in a typical pose of oratory. The park is on
the spot where Marti stayed at La Casa de Pedroso, the house of Pauline Pedroso, great woman
patriot of Cuba.
As early as 1871, Florida had welcomed thousands of Cuban refugees who fled the Spanish rule
in their homeland. The first settled in Key West, but in 1886, the cigar industry was brought to
Tampa, and many Cubans flocked here. So it was Tampa and Key West were hotbeds of
sympathy for the cause of Cuban independence.
Marti's impassioned oratory and writings against the Spanish domination of Cuba were carried
out primarily from the U.S. He lived and preached the cause from New York City and Tampa
and Key West.
Marti first arrived in Tampa on Nov. 24, 1891. He spent the night at famed El Pasaje hotel, then
known as the Cherokee Club. Before retiring he proclaimed: "I feel happy amongst warriors." He
collected funds for the fight. Altogether, it is said that 27 military expeditions financed and.
largely manned by brave Latins left Tampa to fight in Cuba.
On a visit in 1893, an attempt to poison Marti failed and this was when he found refuge at La
Casa de Pedroso.
||Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
|0||sobekcm_page_globals.constructor||Application State validated or built|
|0||sobekcm_page_globals.constructor||Navigation Object created from URI query string|
|0||sobekcm_page_globals.display_item||Retrieving item or group information|
|0||sobekcm_page_globals.get_entire_collection_hierarchy||Retrieving hierarchy information|
|0||cached_data_manager.retrieve_item_aggregation||Found item aggregation on local cache|
|0||item_aggregation_builder.get_item_aggregation||Found 'all' item aggregation in cache|
|0||html_echo_mainwriter.add_style_references||Adding style references to HTML|
|0||html_echo_mainwriter.add_text_to_page||Reading the text from the file and echoing back to the output stream|
|30||html_echo_mainwriter.add_text_to_page||Finished reading and writing the file|