Spanish Laborers at Work on the Panama Canal.
- Spanish Laborers at Work on the Panama Canal.
- Physical Description:
- Stevenson, Davis ( donor ) ( donor )
- Keystone View Company
- Place of Publication:
- Meadville, PA
- Publication Date:
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Labor ( fast )
Panama--Panama Canal ( fast )
Excavating machinery ( fast )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America -- Panama Canal Zone
- Over a dozen Spanish workings posing for a picture during work on the construction of the Panama Canal.
- Scope and Content:
- B. L. Singley founded The Keystone View Company in 1892 in Meadville, Pennsylvania. The company quickly became the world's largest view company, having at least 250,000 negatives (of which some 50,000 were available as numbered views) by the 1930s. These images were meant to bring international experiences into the palm of the average person's hand, to be revisted in private or during social gatherings. It has been said that the ability of the stereograph to bring vicarious experiences to faraway people makes this medium parallel to the internet or television today. The Keystone View Company also focused on the educational value of their products, employing teams of people to write explanatory texts that were printed on the backs of the stereograph cards. This text, along with the imagery, presents the dominant vision of American ideals and interests during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Source 1: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft1q2n999m/
Source 2: http://www.yellowstonestereoviews.com/publishers/keystone.html
- General Note:
- Item received on 3/25/2011
- Original Location:
- Vault Object Box
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Public Domain Presumed (e.g. expiry of copyright term): This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- accession number - 2000.038.002.016a
- System ID:
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID E19Q58H6N_Z4GX7A INGEST_TIME 2014-09-08T15:53:40Z PACKAGE PCMI003523_00001
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC