- Permanent Link:
- I Believe in Empathy
- Series Title:
- IUF 1000: What is the Good Life
- Navamuel, Rock
- University of Florida
- Physical Description:
- Course Material
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Summer 2018 Competition
- As a Cuban, you can definitely say that â€œchismosaâ€, or gossip, is something that is
extremely prevalent in my family. Everyone loves to talk about
that is going on. Tio
Santiago just lost his job, Tia Ariana spends too much money, my cousins are always fighting at
home...whatever the incident, someone, was talking about it. But this holiday season brought
forth a new direction to mi familiaâ€™s topic of discussion. It was my aunt, Tia Yoli, that had
informed us all of her co-worker, who had recently adopted her three grandchildren so that they
wouldnâ€™t endure the pains of the foster care system. This brave woman, who had barely enough
financial security for her own life, was now daunted by the task of raising three young children.
It was December 14th, 2016, when my family and I decided we were going to provide these kids
with the best Christmas they had ever received. And for the next two weeks, all everyone in my
family was talking about, was purchasing gifts and wrapping presents...it spread like wildfire.
- After delivering the presents to my auntâ€™s coworker, we had no clue what to expect from
the family as we knew it would completely surprise them. On December 25th, Christmas
morning, we received photos and videos of the kids jumping with joy; smiles so large it could
stretch for miles. The grandmother had called us crying and thanking my family for the efforts
we put forth to understand the struggles she was enduring.
- So, I believe in the importance of empathy and helping others. Although cliche, lending a
hand to those in need is truly what the holiday season is all about. Sharing the blessings that
we have, with those who are less fortunate, is what will make this world a better place.
- Often times you have to step back and put yourself in the shoes of others. Over my
lifetime, I have noticed that society is transforming into egocentric communities where empathy
lacks greatly. Empathy is a powerful harmonic sequence that drives us to volunteer and help
others. Empathy provides the ability to come toward a greater understanding of another person,
without having to live their life. Empathy can end wars. Empathy...is what makes us human.
- The Christmas of 2016 has transformed the way I will live forever. It has led me to
continue helping others while volunteering in my local community and changes my perspective
before jumping to conclusions. Today, as I have nostalgic feelings about those loving and joyful
kids, I use it as fuel to count my blessings and speak out toward the necessity of helping others.
- Empathizing and helping others, this I believe.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Kendall Kroger.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Copyright by the creator. Permission granted to University of Florida to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.