- Permanent Link:
- Open Access and Bilingual Discovery in the Aftermath of Natural Disasters: CDIJUM and UF
- Vargas-Betancourt, Margarita and Enrique Chmelnik
- Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials (SALALM)
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- Conference Papers
- This presentation is part of the panel â€œCollaborative Agreements between Mexico and US Repositories: Open Access and Bilingual Discovery in the Aftermath of Natural Disasters.â€ The purpose of this panel is to discuss Mexico and US repositoriesâ€™ collaborative projects that seek to decolonize the relationship between both countries through open access and bilingual discovery. The first project is that between the Fideicomiso Archivo Plutarco Elías Calles and Fernando Torreblanca and the University of New Mexico; the second, between the Centro de Documentación e Investigación Judío de México and the University of Florida. Both US institutions seek to digitize and provide open access to strategic content from their Mexican partners. The third project discusses first UT-Austinâ€™s project to digitize and develop Spanish-English metadata for the Genaro García Collection with the goal to provide open access to a preeminent collection for Mexican history, and, second, the impact of the project in UT-Austinâ€™s partnership with the Biblioteca Digital Mexicana. The three projects make available Mexican cultural heritage collections to a wider audience; this is especially important in the wake of natural disasters such as the 2016 floods and the 2017 earthquake, which have resulted in the destruction and endangerment of such heritage. The panelists will discuss ways in which they challenge practices of colonization through partnerships based on equity and multiculturalism.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Margarita Vargas-Betancourt.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All rights reserved by the submitter.