<%BANNER%>

UFIR



Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PDF VIEWER
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00001208/00022
 Material Information
Title: Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
Physical Description: Meeting Minutes
Creator: Fruin, Christine
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Acquisition: Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Christine Fruin.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID: IR00001208:00022

Downloads

This item is only available as the following downloads:

February 2011 Meeting Minutes ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

1 SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATIONS WORKING GROUP MEETING MINUTES FEBRUARY 14, 2011 Attending: Melody, Tara, Rae, Stacey, Isabel, Beth, Dina Minutes: this meeting – Tara 1. Minutes approved 2. Scholarly Communications Librarian position: a. Interview with Christine Marie Ross scheduled for Feb 21st b. SCWG interview at 11:00 a.m. and presentation at 1:30 p.m. c. Elizabeth will moderate the SCWG session 3. Conveying our message: “OA to Scholarship” a. We should start using the language “open access to scholarship” to help with confusion about what open access is 4. Reports from Strategic Subgroups: a. Promotion of the IR@UF Isabel i. Wrote up minutes, sent to Deans: Russell, Schipper, and Bruxvoort ii. Wrote up list of activities that can be incorporated by library liaisons and sent to Associate Deans iii. Requested in house publicity drafts (banners, etc.) from Barbara Hood, 1 30 11; critiqued and submitted to Barbara Hood, 02 09 11 iv. Need to create a presentation to take on the road (Dina mentioned that Brian Keith has a popular “finding a job” presentation in the IR) v. Michele Tennant is concerned the IR information doesn’t inform the public that an IR deposit does not meet the NIH mandate to deposit in PubMed Central. Rae will draft aA statement for various websites will be put in to correct this. b. Acquisitions and Cataloging: Tara i. Tara has a meeting with Acquisitions and Cataloging to discuss what is already in place and what type of workflow is needed to add more OA material to the catalog, etc. ii. Tara is on the agenda for the March 16th Selectors meeting to discuss this iii. There was a discussion on how DOAJ does not pick up all OA publications c. SHERPA/RoMEO to connect to SFX to connect to IR i. Dina reported that Laurie said this was dependent on VIVO. No one understood the connection so will wait until the next meeting for Laurie to explain further. d. Copyright presentations – we are interesting in doing this, but will pursue in the future, hopefully when SC Librarian position is filled e. Impact factors: Rae i. Created a new tab on SCWG LibGuide for Impact factors ii. Posted a link to an article from a blog : The Impact Factor of Open Access Journals. (1/6/2011) WoW! Wouter on the Web. http://wowter.net/2011/01/06/the impact factor of open access journals/ iii. Added links to JCR, Eigenfactor and SciMago, with definitions for Impact Factor, Eigenfactor, H factor Scimago Journal Ranking iv. To do: instructions or short tutorials on finding impact Factors, Eigenfactors and H Index or Scimago Journal Ranking – something to explain to library staff first – Rae and Tara will work on. f. OA Policy/Mandate: awaiting further study i. Identify faculty champions – Isabel will send out a list of the OA fund recipients for review ii. Identify messages that resonate with particular groups:

PAGE 2

2 1. Faculty: visibility of research, stable location of work 2. Administration: institutional reputation iii. Target CLAS – Judy has expressed interest in will be speaking to the Dean iv. Talk to West’s H/SS selectors about issues v. Discussed aiming for an HSC mandate first but believe there is too much variation in their six colleges vi. Our approach This will be both grassroots, through the library liaisons to individual faculty and departments, and also more of a top down through Deans and college meetings that allow us reach more faculty approach g. Collaboration with state and/or regional libraries i. Judy sent proposal to CSUL, but doesn’t want to restrict to CSUL schools ii. It is on CSUL’s Mm arch agenda h. Digital Scholarship Lab: Laurie – no update i. OA journal publishing platform: Laurie, Rachel and Mark Sullivan working on a report on FCLA for Judy – no update j. National Sparky Awards: Stacey i. Has been moved to May 2011 so they don’t overlap with Open Access Week: see http://www.sparkyawards.org/. ii. We will be promoting the contest in collaboration with Florida Free Culture k. OA Week 2011: Beth and Isabel i. Beth produced a quick and short list possible speakers ii. Because we want the speaker to make a big impact (especially if brought in from elsewhere), Isabel and Judy met with the Faculty Senate Chair and Chair Elect on 02 10 11 to discuss providing the speaker with a larger and broader audience, and other strategies to move toward a faculty policy: 1. use UFOAP recipients to get the word out directly to their colleges and departments 2. identify other faculty resources on campus {e.g., ULC member who publishes several OA journals) 3. specifically target CLAS to reach the greatest number of faculty and disciplines 4. not go to the time, expense, and restrictions of bringing in an outside speaker; 5. instead use a more local and customized approach of using OA authors speaking to their colleges (make effort to bring in the social sciences), and possibly involving library liaisons; this joins with the effort to create a faculty mandate iii. Will seek a venue other than the Reitz Union Next meeting: second Monday of every month, 10:30 a.m., LW 429, Mar. 14