<%BANNER%>

UFIR



Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PDF VIEWER
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00001208/00021
 Material Information
Title: Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
Physical Description: Meeting Minutes
Creator: Fruin, Christine
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Acquisition: Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Christine Fruin.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID: IR00001208:00021

Downloads

This item is only available as the following downloads:

March 2011 Meeting Minutes ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

1 OPEN ACCESS TASK FORCE MEETING: MINUTES FOR MARCH 14, 2011 Revised 03 14 11 SRE Minutes: this meeting – Stacey 1. APPROVE MINUTES/REVISE AGENDA 2. UPDATE SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATIONS LIBRARIAN POSITION: a. No official word of acceptance as of this meeting. b. Offer has been made. c. Background checks are in progress. d. Hiring committee to debrief today. e. If all works out, potential start dates will be around early May or late June. 3. REPORTS FROM STRATEGIC SUBGROUPS: a. Promotion of the IR@UF: i. Update on publicity and banner 1. HSCL signs are up. 2. Library west signs, posters, and slides are up too. 3. Posters, slides, and flyers are up in Library West. ii. Next steps, such as featuring special works will be determined at next meeting. 1. Dina working on banner to share at next subgroup meeting 2. We’ll next start focusing on IR content and how it’s being used. 3. It has been suggested that the Provost send out DDD memo to faculty about the IR. [at this point, we may need to wait until summer and fall] 4. Looked into targeting emeritus faculty and faculty in the drop program and found out that “drop program” information is the only information at UF not included the “sunshine laws” so we do not have access to this private info. a. Subgroup will be brainstorming workarounds next meeting b. Maybe there is a way we can get the word out to department chairs so they can notify retiring faculty in their departments. b. Acquisitions and Cataloging: Tara i. Please ask selectors if they have added any OA journals or books, and if they have a systematic way to do so. 1. This is on the agenda for the very next Selectors meeting. 2. Timeline: OA title to serial solutions and then to cataloging. 3. Hybrid Journals (HJ) are on the agenda for the next selectors meeting. a. For HJ’s we don’t have a subscription to: i. We need to come up with a method of catalog display, maybe a note that says “No subscription to this journal but some articles are Open Access.” ii. Will need to further work on the language for the notation. b. Tara would like a spreadsheet of funded titles of Hybrids to check on our subscription status; Isabel to send this list to Tara. 4. Next step will be waiting for selectors feedback after their meeting next Wednesday (03/23)

PAGE 2

2 ii. Please ask selectors to examine the DOAJ by subject and add journals to the Library catalog (criteria? Language, impact factors): Tara said best workflow method is to send a GROVER to eResources. iii. Isabel will forward all UFOAP supported journal titles to Acquisitions: Again, best workflow method is to send a GROVER to eResources. iv. New item to explore: information/instruction on use open access materials for reference and research c. SHERPA/RoMEO to connect to SFX to connect to IR: i. Laurie working on this. Timeline to follow soon. ii. This is in the DLC work queue d. Copyright presentations: i. Awaiting new Scholarly Communications Librarian. e. Impact factors: i. Rae is working on this/In Progress: Instructions or short tutorials on finding impact Factors, Eigenfactors and H Index or Scimago Journal Ranking. ii. Tara and Rae going to work on a how to/presentation/tutorial for Library Liaisons. f. OA Policy/Mandate: awaiting further study i. LYRASIS holding a 2 hour online class 1. Promotion: Judy to promote this class to faculty via invitation. 2. Date : 04/06/2011 3. Time: 2pm – 4pm 4. Location: Library East, Room 1 A ii. Sophia Accord’s Report: 1. Sophia suggests reading pages 77 97: Peer Review in Academic Promotion and Publishing: Its Meaning, Locus, and Future 2. Isabel to send this article to the group. 3. Group will discuss next meeting (April). iii. Continue Working on: 1. Identify faculty champions 2. Identify messages that resonate with particular groups: a. Faculty: visibility of research, stable location of work b. Administration: institutional reputation c. Others? 3. New Scholarly Communications Librarian to help with this mission. g. Collaboration with state and/or regional libraries (CSUL): i. Our proposal was on the CSUL March agenda. Because of tight schedule, Judy was only able to address the proposal quickly near the end of the meeting ii. Two universities (FSU & USF) expressed interest. iii. Next Steps 1. Letter of invitation to FSU, USF. 2. Create list of other select universities: a. St. Pete? Broward? IRC? UM? UCF? b. Cull from the list of attendees from the FSU Open Access workshop/CoLab Session from last year. 3. Add a link to our LibGuide in the invitation.

PAGE 3

3 iv. Is there a collaborative space we could use? 1. Create a wiki? 2. FCLA/CSUL can set up a list serv. 3. First meeting should be face to face. v. Check to see if there is an Open Access program at FLA and/or FACRL. 1. Margeaux, Dina, and Michelle Leonard presented a session on OA at FACRL. 2. Need to assign someone to ask at the FLA conference (May 5 &6) about our CSUL Initiative. vi. Next Steps: 1. Form a collaborative group with the goals of Open Source, Open Access, Policies, Campus Publications, etc. 2. Isabel to talk to Judy about how to proceed (through deans? Or can we start contacting other institutions and other SCLs ourselves?). h. Digital Scholarship Lab: No new news. i. OA journal publishing platform: i. Laurie and Mark working on FCLA platform: Working on mock webpage on how to host an Open Access Journal. ii. Isabel to meet with Patti French, Digital Commons. iii. Need to develop a comparison chart/spreadsheet. 1. Currently sorting through information, making fast progress. 2. Hopefully able to move towards a decision on project soon. j. National Sparky Awards: i. We are publicizing/sharing information about the National Sparky Awards through the Florida Free Culture student group and putting word out through Twitter and FB. ii. No formal UF contest scheduled this year due to extremely poor participation the previous year. k. OA Week 2011: Beth and Isabel. i. Venue (Beth) 1. Venues Investigated: a. McCarty G001 i. AT handles telecom there ii. Larger conference rooms handled by registrar but must wait until fall to reserve. iii. Can use Skype iv. Hire AT $60 per cart/$60 per hour v. No Room Charge b. Reitz i. Room Charge ii. Must use Reitz Equipment/IT c. HPNP i. Capacity of 300 ii. not central location d. Brain Institute i. No food ii. Not central location

PAGE 4

4 2. Other Venue Ideas from Group: a. Business Building i. Is there appropriate space in new building? ii. Fairly central location b. Pugh Hall? c. HSC? i. Not really central location d. University Auditorium? 3. Venue Factors to Consider: a. Room Location b. Capacity c. Cost d. Telecom 4. Next Steps a. Call telecom/AT people to see what rooms they recommend based on their experiences. b. Make decision at next meeting. ii. Isabel to forward select college information to Judy to obtain invitations to fall meetings. 1. Will be using UFOAP Recipients at these meetings to share their positive experiences. 2. Possible outreach meetings: a. CLAS Fall meeting w/department heads. b. CDCP meeting, HHP Breakfast Meeting, HPPH meeting iii. Isabel and Judy to attend Faculty Senate Steering Committee to obtain place on Oct. agenda: will be using UFOAP Recipients at these meetings to share their positive experiences. iv. Notes from SPARC “OA Week Ahead” Webinar, 02 22 11 1. International focus on 2. “reaching out into the academic community”, and with specific results 3. Not just research benefits but also translates into teaching/learning results 4. How the broader society benefits and uses this material, including research and business outcomes 5. Need to begin publicizing it early and obtain top level admin support 6. How to engage faculty a. a panel of three scientists b. posting OA stories on website throughout the week (or month c. tie activities to action, e.g., campus policy as a national development 7. Avoid: a. last minute rush, late marketing b. tee shirts are not worth the trouble c. last year we were not prepared for student volunteers: create a postcard with three ideas and a URL for further steps 8. Visions a. High level support (funding and programmatic) b. Focusing on the right message c. Pick a theme d. Move educational event forward: i. from awareness to action: what folks can do

PAGE 5

5 ii. go out to the faculty (to dept. training sessions) iii. faculty declaration iv. sign Berlin Declaration e. develop partnerships: faculty, associations, collaborations, 9. Promotion: start early a. News media b. Make videos and use SPARC videos on its OA Week website c. OA publishers can help 10. Local Champions: feature v. A speaker or panel program in afternoon in a central location, to include: 1. UFOAP recipients 2. Member of ULC who publishes an OA journal vi. Roadshow to departments and colleges: 1. Outreach to CLAS Associate Deans vii. Strategies to move toward a faculty policy: 1. use UFOAP recipients to get the word out directly to their colleges and departments 2. identify other faculty resources on campus {e.g., ULC member who publishes several OA journals) 3. specifically target CLAS to reach the greatest number of faculty and disciplines 4. involving library liaisons; this joins with the effort to create a faculty mandate viii. Requested a place on the Faculty Senate October agenda, 02 16 11 4. NEW BUSINESS None 5. NEXT MEETING: Second Monday of every month, 10:30 a.m. LW 429, Apr. 11, minutes: Rae Jesano