<%BANNER%>

UFIR



Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PDF VIEWER
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00001208/00019
 Material Information
Title: Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
Physical Description: Meeting Minutes
Creator: Fruin, Christine
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Acquisition: Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Christine Fruin.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID: IR00001208:00019

Downloads

This item is only available as the following downloads:

May 2010 Meeting Minutes ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

OPEN ACCESS MEETING: MINUTES FOR MAY 27, 2010 IN ATTENDANCE: Isabel Silver, Margeaux Johnson, Dina Benson, Elizabeth Outler, Michelle Leonard, Rae Jesano, Stephanie Haas. COMMUNICATION: o Communication of ideas among members is very important to the group. o Discussed ways of facilitating communication and collaboration. Distribution List Using SharePoint Using Google Docs/Groups until SharePoint is available to the Libraries. Margeaux and Dina to experiment with setting up a Google Groups page. Everyone in attendance submitted their Gmail address to be added to the Google Groups list after the meeting. SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATIONS WORKING GROUP o This group, for now, is considered informal. o The working group description is still in draft format. o Working Group Membership Stephanie suggested inviting outside faculty. Maybe Judy can ask other deans to recruit other faculty members and these faculty members would act as liaisons? Maybe we could recruit/invite members from the University Council? o Sending the draft to Judy will be the next step. NEWS ON THE SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION POSITION o The position is to close on July 15. o Today a phone interview was to be conducted. o When this position is filled, this person will be on this committee. UFOAP – JULY 1, 2010 o Publicity Ideas: Website Banner DDD List Website submission form MyUFL homepage New Faculty Orientation o Process: It was suggested that we set up a Google Doc on each Journal to compile instructions on the process.

PAGE 2

o To Do List: Margeaux to contact Donna Obuko. Isabel will talk to other groups for recommendations. Isabel will set up funds disbursement. Michelle will be going to off campus IFAS Research Centers and will bring information to them. BIOMEDCENTRAL SUBSCRIPTION – JULY 1, 2010 o Publicity Ideas: Information distribution: Smathers & HSCL Library homepages brochure format Judy sent out All Staff email. Barbara Hood to send out brochure to all staff. Martine Horrell is handling HSCL publications and will be working with Barbara Hood. Suggested that we mention/publicize again in August to catch 9 month faculty and summer researchers. DDD Letter to go out in August. o Rae reports: HSCL is already getting questions about BioMed. BioMed and PLoS are VERY excited about the initiative. SURVEY OF BIOMED CENTRAL & PLOS ADMINISTERED FROM 05/06 – 05/28/10 o Survey closes May 28. o 15 responses were returned before the reminder went out. o Margeaux sent reminder to BMC and PLoS authors Grant McFadden wrote her and thanked her for the survey o Results Analysis: Ideas to get word out to faculty: Faculty Senate Committee T & P office To Do List: Make presentations to all of the above committees. Comments so far were very positive; maybe we can use them in promotional materials? OPEN ACCESS WEEK 2010 o Recap from last year/Idea Sharing Full week was too much HSCL Day had a 75 person turnout. Dr. Guzick talk was a good draw. Smathers 1 A events had approx. 15 40 people, depending on the event. Suggested that 1 A was too closed off | hard to find | not a bright, welcoming space.

PAGE 3

o Ideas for OA 2010: Maybe make a one day event instead of a full week? Less Effort / More Impact Find people who utilize the Open Access fund to talk about their experiences. Posters/Poster session? Different location than Room 1 A. Maybe have both in library presentations & poster session? Maybe have a “Liaison Day” where the goal would be to do outreach that week and talk to at least one person about OA? Make a promotional video? Include Library Administration and Provost to get buy in and funding. Invite the Provost to speak for 30 minutes Involve the highest university administration Faculty Senate Meeting in October, can we get that meeting to coincide? Create materials and scripts for liaisons, Judy, and administration. o To Do List: Isabel to share her script draft. Margeaux willing to begin Prezi presentation Posters – Reuse some from Stephanie’s office. Need UFOAP posters Buttons PRAM proposal to purchase for materials for buttons. Button design & creation. PLoS has t shirts to share. Michelle to look at MSL stock HSCL still has Commons and will itemize stock. NEW OA PROJECTS (FOR CONSIDERATION & UPCOMING MEETINGS) o Library OA Instruction: Stephanie suggests that we should first clear up confusion in the Libraries about OA since there is alot of misinformation/misconceptions about OA in addition to what exactly should go into the IR. If training/sessions can be held with librarians first, it will help with the liaison program. Stephanie will work with Isabel on this. o OA LibGuides: Took the lead from HSCL Margeaux added visuals HSCL will pull theirs down and link to the main OA Group LibGuide. o UFOAP Publications: Scholarly communications workshop on July 9th at FSU. Poster made about UFOAP background Isabel to bring? Deadline Preparations for Open Access Week – Goal to have all work completed by early October. NEXT MEETING Misty will schedule next meeting in July around the 6th.