<%BANNER%>

UFIR



Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PDF VIEWER
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00001208/00017
 Material Information
Title: Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
Physical Description: Meeting Minutes
Creator: Fruin, Christine
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Acquisition: Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Christine Fruin.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID: IR00001208:00017

Downloads

This item is only available as the following downloads:

August 2010 Meeting Minutes ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

1 OPEN ACCESS TASK FORCE MEETING MINUTES & AGENDA FOR AUGUST 9, 2010 Prepared by Isabel Silver, 8 02 10 Present: Isabel Silver, Elizabeth Outler, Dina Benson, Stacy Ewing, Melody Royster, Beth Auten, Rae Jesano 1. Minutes: this meeting – Rae 2. The new members, Beth and Melody, were introduced to the group. Both the HSCL and MSL have 2 members now. 3. Approve Minutes/Revise agenda Minutes from the 7 19 10 meeting were approved No additions to this meeting’s agenda. 4. Communications Update: OA Staff Guide Minutes from these meetings will be posted on the staff guide along with resources for UF Libraries’ faculty and staff. It is now easier to find. http://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/openaccesstaskforce Stacy will give the new committee members write privileges to the guide. If you see something that needs to be changed on the public Libguide send it to Isabel. Rae will make changes to the Health Sciences page. 5. OA Town Hall: August 2, 1:30p 2:30p a. Debriefing and assessment Received a call from someone who wants us to proceed with caution and to tone down the cheerleading for OA. Received a comment from a non library faculty member that the posters for BMC and the fund are too wordy. They were looking at it as the librarian was posting a 8X11 version on a bulletin board. Any changes or re designs should be sent to Isabel. Stacy received positive feedback on the Town Hall. b. Follow up A digital copy of the entire Town Hall will be posted on the OA StaffGuide. Stacy (or Dina?) said she would put it on You Tube. 6. Update on Scholarly Communications Librarian position: applications and interviews (Elizabeth) ( On the original agenda this was 5, but was discussed after the Town Hall.) 1st interview will be on Monday August 16th. The OA Task Force will meet with her in 429 Lib West for a half hour at 9:30 AM. Members should also try to attend her presentation from 2:00 3:00 PM in Smathers 1A. It was agreed that we would create and provide a standard interview format and questionnaire so that all candidates will receive the same treatment, making assessment more objective. We should send 2 questions (1 general & 1 specific) to Elizabeth by Wednesday, and she will produce the interview questionnaire. The search committee also recommended bringing two other candidates here for interviews. 7. ACRL Scholarly Communications Workshop: follow up a. State wide task force and leadership by UF i. Dina (UF) and Caitlin (FCLA) offered to start a state wide group to move OA forward in Florida. ii. Host deans and directors [eventually?] Perhaps we could actually send someone with Judy to the meeting, if one is not scheduled here in Gainesville in the near future. People at other institutions were interested in a state wide initiative. Judy is interested in a collaborative effort. b. Need a proposal to draft for Judy i. Can possibly put it on the CSUL September meeting agenda

PAGE 2

2 The next meeting is scheduled for Sept 2 3, 2010. Dina and Stacy will work on the proposal, and consult with Elizabeth regarding the CSUL organizational structure. They will have a draft together by the end of this week. Some specifics discussed include: Which CSUL committee would deal with OA? The consensus of our group was that it probably would be a subcommittee under the PSPC committee with members from each school. The member would be someone whose job duties are related to OA or who’s interested in OA. The proposal would initiate communication about OA policy, including mandates and strategic planning regarding OA policies. The outcome would be a statewide policy or agreement on OA. If nothing else the proposal would open up discussion on the topic. Elizabeth will talk to the Chair of the PSPC to see if she agrees that the subcommittee or task force should be under the PSPC. The next PSPC meeting is August 23rd. Someone mentioned that Orange Grove could be sort of a statewide repository. 8. OA Week 2010: a. Date is set for Wednesday Oct 20th. b. Main Campus: 1. Judy 2. IFAS Senior VP Dr. Jack Payne: Judy has invited him to be a speaker. 3. UFOAP recipients 4. Copyright and Science Commons: Elizabeth and new Scholarly Communications Librarian a. Investigate possibility of videoconferencing the presentations to the HSC Libraries based on the availability of rooms with that capability. 5. Digital scholarship and repositories: IR@UF and disciplinary repositories 6. Other activities: 7. Have MSL display case Suzanne graciously gave up the MSL display case for the end of the month, so we do have that one. Asked about a display at the HSCL, but the HSCL will not have any display cases. The ones in the hall in front of the Library will be gone. Rae and Beth will investigate other methods, such as a video display to publicize it at the HSC. 8. Participation of University Library Committee 9. Posters: Dina 9. Open Access Journals and OPAC? Judy is interested in a state wide effort to get the OA journals into the OPAC. 10. Task Force PR: news/announcements? 11. OA Script from HSCL: Rae The HSC BHIS Librarians/ Liaisons have seen the script and have made comments. I am revising it based on their comments. The major comments were that they wanted a more definite definition of Public Access and how it was different from Open Access. They also wanted the submission procedure for the fund spelled out. 12. Next meeting: second Monday of every month; September 13th, 10:30 a.m., LW 429