<%BANNER%>

UFIR



Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
ALL VOLUMES CITATION PDF VIEWER
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00001208/00016
 Material Information
Title: Scholarly Communications Working Group Meeting Minutes
Physical Description: Meeting Minutes
Creator: Fruin, Christine
Publisher: George A. Smathers Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, FL
 Notes
Acquisition: Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Christine Fruin.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the submitter.
System ID: IR00001208:00016

Downloads

This item is only available as the following downloads:

September 2010 Meeting Minutes ( PDF )


Full Text

PAGE 1

1 OPEN ACCESS TASK FORCE MEETING SEPTEMBER 13, 2010 MINUTES Prepared by Elizabeth Outler [Attendees: Beth Auten, Stacey Ewing, Rae Jesano, Elizabeth Outler, Melody Royster, Isabel Silver] 1. Minute taker this meeting – Elizabeth 2. Approved Minutes from August 9, 2010; approved agenda. 3. Communications Update: a. Problem with recorded presentation of OA Town Hall – unable to post to staff guide because recording was lost – Stacey will follow up with Evan Wack b. OA Staff Guide: responsibilities (go to people) i. updating the guide: Stacey and Beth; Rae is responsible for the HSC guide c. Add the following mandates to the guide: Harvard, Stanford School of Ed, Boston University, University of Kansas, Duke, others? i. Add a new tab for these; see what the other places call them to use an appropriate label (is it “mandate” or “policy” or other?) 4. Update on Scholarly Communications Librarian position: applications and interviews (Elizabeth) a. The committee forwarded recommendation to Judy and Isabel; further reference checking was done by Brian and Judy; offer extended but hiring has not been finalized yet. 5. Update on Library Liaison open access work: a. Isabel met with Blake Landor and his group of selectors last week; different approaches discussed, many ideas going forward, and liaisons seemed more comfortable and energized about talking OA with their departments. b. Liaisons have offered to help publicize OA week. 6. State wide task force and leadership by UF: draft proposal, update: Isabel a. Proposal was submitted at Sept. CSUL meeting b. It was at the end of the agenda, no action taken; will need to bring it up again next time. c. Elizabeth will discuss with PSPC chair Barbara Stites 7. OA Week 2010: a. Isabel distributed an updated draft schedule – Dr. Jack Payne canceled i. Replacement for Payne – Dr. Mark McClellan (IFAS Dean for Research) 1. Assuming he agrees, Val Davis and Melody Royster will work with him to prepare his presentation ii. Dina will organize poster session – each member of the committee may take a poster iii. Sophia Acord has agreed to speak – really knowledgeable, especially to address issues in the humanities iv. Dina working on speakers re: scholarship and repositories – one idea is Tom Frazer, who has some notoriety for heading the Oil Spill Task Force v. Discussion of break time and refreshments – timing and location? Is 15 min. enough time for a break and posters? vi. Add a Q&A session at the end b. Promotion and publicity i. Isabel meeting with Barbara Hood today, looking for slogans or catchy title for OA week events ii. MSL display case – Melody and Michelle will take over responsibility for installing display to promote OA week beginning on Oct. 18 iii. Button making – who’s responsible for that and what do they need? 1. Expenditure has been authorized – ask Barbara to purchase materials 2. Committee will schedule a time to get together to make buttons 3. Rae will look into getting PLoS t shirts and literature to give away at the event

PAGE 2

2 iv. Barbara Hood’s office 1. Libraries websites 2. MyUFL 3. Newspapers/press releases a. Isabel’s going to see about getting some interviews of OA publishing fund recipients in the Alligator 4. DDD letter? 5. Work with IFAS PR a. To promote IFAS speakers (assuming they agree to speak) 6. Student government (student volunteers to give out business cards and buttons) 7. Light boards on University Ave. and 34th Street 8. Banners and sandwich boards and posters in libraries (Library West, Marston, HSC, Law) 9. Isabel will also talk to Barbara re: postcards and distributing them widely to faculty mailboxes on campus v. OA online Publicity 1. Updating the Open Access Week website with a UF presence: Beth agreed to post information there and at Open Access Directory (OAD) wiki at Simmons 8. OA Outreach Efforts a. OA Script from HSCL: Rae b. Library Liaisons – need i. Letter to meet with department ii. Letter to forward to faculty in lieu of departmental meeting 9. Next meeting: second Monday of every month; October 11th, 10:30 a.m., LW 429