<%BANNER%>
UFL UFIR





program such as Google Analytics will be used to record and compile data such as location, time,
and type of device used. Essentially, whatever program UF libraries currently use to analyze
website usage will be applied to the proposed site.

6. Should the purchase of iPod touch equipment be included in this budget for project team
and/or other librarians? Who will use these after the grant period? Answer: Upon further
consideration, we are going to choose not to include the devices within the grant proposal.
Borland and HSC will purchase the equipment through other means available to them. The need
for the equipment is too strong in other service areas for it to be associated only with the
proposed grant.




STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00000191/00001
 Material Information
Title: Capturing Metrics to Support Collection Development Decisions: a Pilot in the Marston Science Library
Physical Description: Book
Creator: Leonard, Michelle
Publisher: University of Florida Libraries
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida Institutional Repository
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID: IR00000191:00001

Full Text


2009-2010 Smathers Libraries Mini Grant
APPLICATION COVER SHEET
Application due: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 5:00 PM

Principal Investigator (PI) Name: Michelle Foss
Department: Marston Science Library
Email address: micfoss@uflib.ufl.edu Phone: 273-2866
SCheck here if this is your first grant application as PI.

Title of grant application project: Capturing metrics to support collection development
decisions: a pilot in the Marston Science Library

_ Check here for Emerging Technologies (ET) Funds
x_ Check here if any IT support is necessary

Project abstract (no more than 100 words):

With the introduction of the Resource Centered Management (RCM) budgeting model at the
University, it is expected that metrics will be required to justify funding allocations for collections
in the library system. This grant will establish procedures to capture in-house use of science
monograph and serials leading to more valid analyses of use/cost and to justify future
acquisition decisions. This data will demonstrate analysis of use parameters and cost.
Combined with other metrics, metrics from this methodology will give a more complete picture of
subject areas of high use and will help formulate future acquisition allocations based on
verifiable data.


Funds requested (Limit of $5,000): $1,567
Emerging Technologies (ET) (Limit of $10,000): $0

Describe how the10% mandatory cost share will be met (be specific): The cost share will be met
by the salaries of Christine Driver who will train and supervise the project students, and of
Chrissy Cogar who will run the data reports in Aleph.

Please list the library resources to be used in this project and the name/and initials of the person
authorizing the intended use and date authorized. If you need more room, continue on a
separate page.

Resources Required for Project as applicable Authorizing Individual Date
inli Hrlinn r~c t share rnntrihutinns Initials Authorized


IT Bill Covey
Marston Science Library Circulation Vernon Kisling

Submitted by:


PI Signature Date

Approved by:


Dept. Chair Signature


Date


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~--~~-~~-















This pilot supports the libraries' mission of "building collections of international distinction that
support the full range of UF teaching and research activities" by analyzing in-house statistics
which to this point have remained a largely untapped measure of research interests of the UF
community.

Librarians, faculty, researchers and students would benefit from this pilot. Librarians can
quantifiably justify purchasing decisions, and the science interests of faculty, researchers and
general student interests will be more precisely measured.

c. The resources needed to complete this project are:

From Marston Science Library:
1) Michelle Foss, PI, will coordinate all aspects of this project. She will supervise the
purchase of equipment; insure all procedures are documented. She will analyze data
collection, produce quarterly in-house use reports to share with MSL staff, and create the
final Excel spreadsheets for analysis.
2) Christine Driver will train the students on the barcode scanning procedures, and work
with Chrissy Cogar to run the Aleph reports. No additional student hires are needed.



No other departments will be impacted, although at the end of the pilot, an open workshop will
be given for other libraries interested in using the technology developed.

d. Plan of action: The chart below indicates time sequence, activity, and responsible party.

Activity 1" Quarter 2" Quarter 3" Quarter 4' Quarter
Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Ap May Jun July Aug Sept
Purchase 3 scanners (Foss)*I |
Test scanners & barcode
capture procedures
(Foss/Driver)
Macro script developed for
data pull & tested (IT) __
Train sneliers tDrvr _
Shelters caplure
bar.ojes (Students)
Al-ph data pull using .; .. ... -= i;r -
hrrolds anddaia I
intioralon Inln E .r-p'l ") ,. min ,pring ]W O '
(Dnvr Cov) W.4 T______ ______1___ ______ ____
Data cclrclPnns analird
Focus group esulval.s
mcirics and Drcredure
(Foss)_
Finil rppon anr,
rPrommenrldat ns (Foss)

e. This is a pilot based on use of science materials housed in the Marston Science Library. No
copyright issues are evident.








f UNIVERSITY of

UFFLORIDA

George A. Smathers Libraries PO Box 117007
Acquisitions Department Gainesville, F. 32(11-7007
352-273-2700
wiww.u I,' *O I'.... !'/, /
.September 25, 2 'i i'

To: Michelle Foss / Mini-Grant Principal Investigator
Stephanie Haas
From: Steve Carrico
Acquisitions Librarian
RE: Science Metrics Mini-Grant Proposal


Dear Michelle & Stephanie,

You have asked me to submit a letter of support for your Mini-Grant proposal. After careful
review of their grant proposal and the expected results of the research they plan to launch, I
believe your proposed Mini-Grant is an excellent plan. The projected method of collecting in-
house usage data at the Marston Science Library is simple yet well planned: student assistants
will scan barcodes as they re-shelve print materials used in-house; using the barcodes as a
base starting point, one macro will extract circulation and bibliig;:.ilphic information from
Aleph, while another macro will extract acquisitions information from the order records. Both
sets of data can then be entered into an Excel spreadsheet for detailed analysis.

For many years exploring the in-house use of print materials was very problematic and costly
to conduct, so seldom was attempted. Now with improved technology, including hand-held
scanners and the macro progr'mminiin'g available to libraries it is quite feasible and relatively
inexpensive to launch a project such as this proposed Mini-Grant. An examination of
circulation and acquisitions data, including cost benefit reviews, should help MSI. librarians
improve future collections building.

I heartily endorse your Mini-Grant proposal and will be most interested in the results of your
project.

Sincerely,


Steven Carrico
Chair, Acquisitions Department
Smathers Libriru-s









The Foundation for The Gator Nation
An iEual Opportunity Instttitimn









I f |UNIVERSITY of

UF FLORIDA

George A. Smathers Libraries PO Box 117011
Marston Science Library Gainesville, FI. 32611-7011
352-273-2865
352-392-4787 Fax
www.uflib.ufl.edu/ msl/


24 September 2009


TO: Michelle Foss
Mini-Grant Principal Investigator
FROM: Vernon Kisling
Associate University Librarian
RE: Science Metrics Mini-Grant Proposal / Letter of Support


While we have many metrics for measuring patron use of our science collections, one particularly
important metric has always been difficult to obtain. The in-house use of journals and books has
historically been missing from our collection analysis data. The use of our materials within the library
is just as important as the material circulated out of the library or viewed online. However, it has been
very time consuming and labor intensive data to collect. With the proper use of today's technology,
this data can be collected, stored and analyzed in an efficient and useful way. Collected on a regular
basis, it will provide a very important aspect of the use of our collections, especially now with the
increase in use of electronic journals and books it is even more important to know how our print
collections housed in the Marston Science Library are being used.

With the equipment and staff help provided and the procedures developed with this grant we would
not only be able to obtain this data on a short time basis, but would be able to continue to collect this
data on a regular, on-going basis in order to improve our collection analysis for the long term, and thus
to analyze trends in addition to static data. Not only the collecting of the data would be more effective
with this equipment, but the many ways of analyzing the data would be vastly improved and would
assist collection managers in fine tuning their collection analysis in many different ways. This effort
could also be applied to other library collections and benefit collection managers throughout the
library. The seed money provided by this Mini-Grant would therefore have long term benefits for the
entire library system and would significantly improve our collection analysis, as well as our ability to
better determine future acquisition needs.

I therefore fully support the approval of this Mini-Grant and the project.















The F'oundation for The Gator Natiton
An Equal Opportunity Tnstihtutu o










Appendix A. Current procedure for in-house use capture vs proposed procedure

Our current process for capturing in-house journal use includes:
1. Sweeping the journals on to a cart and placing in call number order; (2.75 hrs)
2. Finding an open computer; (public or staff)
3. Logging on to the computer and Google Does;
4. Data entry of Titles, Call Numbers, Year Published, and Date into the Google
Does File;
5. Logging off of the Computer; (4 hours for steps 2-5)
6. Counting the books swept for statistical purposes; (0.25 hrs)
7. Shelving the journals;
8. Christine Driver estimates that at a minimum she spends 3 weeks at 20 hrs/week
cleaning/entering missing data fields for the current JUSE project to complete the
file.

The proposed process would include:
1. Sweeping the books and journals on to a cart; (12.75 hrs)
2. Scanning the barcodes of all books and journals; (5.25 hrs)
3. Counting the books and journal swept for statistical purposes; (1 hr)
4. Uploading the text file;
5. Shelving the books;
6. Run the script from the Aleph modules and export this data into Excel for
analysis.









Mini Grant Program Fall Applications: Answers to Questions
October 23, 2009

Benson: UF Institutional History Project

1. What makes this proposal applicable to the emerging technologies category? Is the focus
of this project the application of a new metadata schema ? or Does it involve new
functionality? If so, what is new technologically? Answer: Yes, focus is a new type of
cataloguing to show institutional histories and hierarchical relationships that are currently
unavailable, which hampers searching results. EAC will provide new levels of standardizing
relationships and histories in the IR. This technology application is new, and only in draft form
on the web. It may be that a few institutions are experimenting with it but, if awarded a mini
grant, UF will be among the first to implement it. Due to its draft status, it is unknown if anyone
is actually using it. The project will position UF Libraries as a model for other institutions. UF's
history is long and it presents an outstanding opportunity (changes in departments, mergers,
eliminations, etc) to demonstrate the effectiveness of this approach.

Attached is a hierarchy of colleges and departments and the shifts observed between 2005 and
2009 based on about an hour's research in August. These changes were presented to Betsy
Simpson as rationale for the creation of entity histories like those we seek to create with the EAC
minigrant. The document is already a bit out of date with this afternoon's approval of the
merging within the College of Design, Construction and Planning of the Department of
Landscape Architecture and the Department of Urban & Regional Planning as a new entity
called the School of Landscape Architecture and Planning as approved by the Faculty Senate this
afternoon.

2. What do Val Davis and Sara Gonzalez think about the applicability of this project to the
VIVO project? Answer: Val Davis indicated that yes, the mini grant proposed project presents
exciting possibilities for exploration in terms of new metadata approaches for the VIVO
project-which is one of the areas Sara will be developing.

3. What would it take, in terms of resources, to convert this project into a "proof of
concept" or pilot project, where the focus would be more narrow? Will the project team
consider this option? In light of this project's potential applicability to the VIVO project,
will the project team consider focusing on the Health Science Center for a pilot project so
that it can be tested to see how well it works? Answer: Yes, the project team agrees it can
focus on Health Sciences which present a great example of institutions that have expanded and
merged (Shands/Borland).

4. What's the scale of the project as you currently propose? How many parent authorities
do you estimate are involved? Answer: Limiting the project to the College of Medicine would
provide 40 parent authorities, one for each current department in the College of Medicine's
divisions in Gainesville and Jacksonville. This includes one authority each for a program such as
radiation oncology that exists in both cities, as the college considers them separate departments.

5. How will the linking of information be displayed to the user in new ways to improve
"findability" of information resources? Answer: DLC has learned that the more information









displayed the more users like it. There will be an additional page for each greater entity at the
college level with links to departments. See attachment for display mockup.

The display mockup is not the specific proposed product of the EAC minigrant but a potential
function that would be populated by the outcome. By creating collapsible displays, we can
provide patrons with a navigable hierarchy on a central page that is not overwhelmingly long.
They may expand and collapse each college as they choose or select the option to expand all of
the colleges to view all current departments. The example landing page is also a potential
function that would be populated by the products of the EAC as each link to authors and
publications would harvest based in part on the specifications allowed to exist in the metadata by
the complete EAC record for each entity. I appreciate you passing these documents along to the
committee.

6. How will the project team evaluate and demonstrate that EAC is the best schema for
managing this type of contextual metadata at UF? Answer: It is currently the only
alternative. The choices are: manual input vs. future automation capabilities (planning to submit
a state LSTA application for automation and further development of this methodology).

Additional information: The PI plans to apply for external funding through technology grants
(LSTA, NSF or Mellon) that will support future development of this methodology.

Canova: Digital Military Newspaper Library

1. Proposal lacks letters of commitment to support the project from Jan Swanbeck or Judy
Russell (these resources are government documents). What are Jan's and Judy's views
about this project? Answer: Jan seems supportive based on feedback (about Panamanian
Spillways newspaper). The Dean was asked (for letter of support) but said that it was
inappropriate to ask her because she's the final authority on mini-grant funding. (About half of
these newspapers are published by private individuals living near bases and are not considered to
be government documents. Both target military personnel and their families.)

2. The project plan states that the PI will request permissions. How many copyright
permission letters does the PI currently have? Please provide a revised plan that specifies
this information. Answer: Zero. Laurie Taylor instructed me not to request permissions to
ensure that the Libraries would not have any potential liability. The DLC has found that
requesting permissions even when contingent on grant funds still creates the perception that
the work will be done, somehow regardless of the grant. Unless this project is funded, the DLC
will not request permissions because that would create risk. The DLC has been extremely
successful at obtaining permissions. If the grant is approved and any permissions are denied, I
will set a meeting with the grants management committee to reduce the award or to digitize other
years or titles instead of those where permissions are denied. (Will has a contact who can seek
approval through the Admiral's office with relationships to all military newspaper publishers).

3. Is there current OCLC data for these collection materials? What does the cataloguing
department think about this project (can you provide a letter from Betsy)? What
cataloging resources will be needed? Who will put biography information back into
OCLC? Answer: OCLC records are available. The new DLC records for the items, derived









from OCLC records, will have the biographies. Then, the records will be fed into OCLC along
with all other records to be fed into OCLC, using a workflow under development between the
DLC and CatMet. This workflow is needed for other projects, but it will also serve the mini-
grant project. (Betsy estimates 25-30 hours of effort from cataloging for the entire project, less if
OCLC copy is available.)

4. Does the PI have a specific student in mind for this project? (Appears the project relies
on a higher level of student worker than may be available.) Answer: No. (DLC has had
very good experiences with hiring students. Latest was graduate student from engineering
working for $7/hr., a very capable employee.)

5. Does the PI have evidence that a student worker required for this project is available
and will work for the hourly rate described in the budget? Answer: Yes, as based on the pay
rate of current students. Rather than working with Development Office, student will be
supervised by PI and with assistance from Barbara Hood to gather necessary background
information and contact for creating a PR/awareness campaign about this project.

6. Why aren't collection developers working as advisors on this project? Answer: They are
involved. (Collection developers for Florida newspapers are Jim and Patrick, and Jan also
consults on the Panamanian newspaper).

7. Does the PI have a personal and professional interest in this project? Please explain.
Answer: Yes. As the coordinator for the newspapers, supporting the Florida Digital Newspaper
Library and the Caribbean Newspaper Digital Library is a professional interest. Given the quality
and uniqueness of these projects, expanding them and promoting them is also a professional
interest.

8. Why are these military newspapers not included in the existing FDNL or other current
workflows? Answer: AGRSSR, mainly and because all resources were leveraged. The project
specifically focuses on sustainability, building from one year of support for digitization for one
title only, and harvesting born-digital resources only in subsequent years.

9. Why is mini-grant funding the correct source of funds for this project? Answer: The
funds are needed for sustainability, which is what the project focuses on. (And for proof of
concept in terms of a themed small FL newspaper collection and development of a promotional
campaign in a niche market.)

10. Can this project be incorporated into other existing workflows? Answer: No. The
digitization might be manageable, but it would be at the cost of stopping other work. This project
is about harvesting/capturing born digital papers for one year and leveraging the set-up,
cataloging work and newly established procedures for future sustainability.

11. What makes this collection an important one for which we are making an "in
perpetuity" commitment? Answer: These papers are related to the Florida collections,
Journalism collections, and GovDocs, all of which the Libraries are committed to. The goal of
the project is to find an angle to use in fundraising for work the Libraries is already doing and









work the Libraries want to be doing. (DLC discovered gaps in acquisitions of Florida
newspapers and this is one. There are many other smaller sector newspapers: African
Americans in FL, College and university newspapers and Jewish community newspapers to
name a few. Military newspaper collection can serve as a model, especially for harvesting
electronic runs, to promote these niches and build PR that can ultimately continue the model-
either through donor funding, sponsorships by communities or others, or grant project funds
where the applicant can be the nonprofit publisher and the Libraries can serve as a subcontractor.

12. Is there broader Libraries support for maintaining this collection for the next 30-50
years? If so, please explain. Answer: Yes for the content. That support needs funding, and the
funding is what this project is trying to build. (Mandate of Florida Newspaper collection within
the P K Young Library is to collect at least one newspaper from every county in Florida.)

Foss: "Capturing metrics to support collection development decisions: a pilot in the
Marston Science Library"

1. Implication that this technology and method will spread to other departments. Answer:
(The PI will share the methodology used in this pilot project with staff in other libraries who are
interested in replicating this project.) This will give them the option to use this method for
collecting in-house usage statistics to validate the use of their own collection. This technology is
to simplify the workflow processes to an automated method rather than the time consuming
manual counting that is currently being done. To my knowledge, no statistics on in-house use of
monographic works has ever been undertaken and in the sciences alone, the annual book
[budget?] is $87,000. Circulation statistics alone do not give an accurate picture of whether the
book-buying strategy is cost effective.

2. How will the information gathered help other branches of the Libraries? Answer: As
indicated in the proposal this technology could track the in-house journal and book usage as part
of the reshelving process. These statistics should validate that items are being browsed in-house
and the librarians could use these statistics to more clearly understand whether purchasing
strategies are aligned with patron usage. Longitudinal studies will provide the most valuable
information.

3. Please contact the chair of the UF Faculty Senate infrastructure council to check and
confirm your assumptions re: the effect of the RCM budget model (i.e. need to justify
expenditures based on use data)? Answer: To clarify, as a member of the Infrastructure
Committee we did not design nor have input in the RCM budget model. As stated in the October
2009 Infrastructure Council meeting minutes, the Council would review RCM as it related to the
UF Infrastructure. In meetings from the 2009 Council, the CIO provided briefs on the model that
would be used in the future.

The one benefit of RCM is to "create full cost view of academic operations." Colleges are
responsible for financial transparency and must justify their financial support. The libraries use
collections to support colleges. To identify fiscal responsibility libraries may be asked to
demonstrate that purchased materials are actually being used by the university community. If
$17,000 is being spent on books in mathematics, what is the usage of the books purchased? To









date, the libraries are not using a comprehensive analysis. This project, combined with the
current metrics, will provide a more complete view of what collections are being used both in-
house and through circulation statistics. These statistics could justify the libraries budget when
requesting additional funding for collection support, and could be used by demonstrating to
college departments what collections are being used by the UF community.

4. How will the project be evaluated? Answer: This project will be evaluated in two
categories: as indicated in the timeline, this project will evaluate in-house statistics, both journal
and book, for 6 months. In house book usage has never been captured in Marston so the statistics
gathered will be reviewed and analyzed for the first time. Secondly, this project will also
evaluate the workflow or how long it takes to use this technology when scanning items being
reshelved from in-house use. Hypothetically, this project could justify the use of technology
based on workflow processes to validate an efficient mechanism to capture in-house use for the
entire collection.

5. What's the definition of "success" of the project? Answer: The definition of "success" of
this project will be that this technology permits us to fully analyze the in-house usage of the
collection, both journals and books. Currently, the gathering of in-house statistics is manual, time
consuming and not efficient. It is so time consuming that currently only in-house journal usage
statistics are gathered because there is not enough time, staff, or students to evaluate the entire
in-house collection. This technology will improve workflow processes, increase productivity as
to permit all of the collection to be evaluated and thus give libraries a complete picture of what is
being used in-house by our patrons. The success of this project will be to develop an efficient
workflow to collect both book and journal statistics on in-library use, and to use table/graph
functions with Excel to assist collection development staff in analyzing the results.

6. How will you evaluate project impacts? Answer: We will establish procedures to capture
in-house use of science monographs and serials leading to more valid analyses of use/cost and to
justify future acquisition decisions. Combined with other metrics (circulation data from Aleph,
ILL reports, etc.), metrics from this methodology will give a more complete picture of subject
areas of high use and will help formulate future acquisition allocations based on verifiable data.

7. Can the PI provide a few more words on the workshop, future use of equipment and
how to make the project and its results be useful to other Libraries groups? Answer: For
librarians who are interested in using this technology, a workshop on how to use the barcode
scanners (future use), and how to extract the data will be provided. The final product is expected
to establish new collection development strategies based partially on data collected through this
methodology. This will lead to collections based on current UF curriculum and research needs,
and justify collection budgetary needs.

8. Please describe the IT support that will be required? Answer: As stated in the mini-grant,
IT would write a script that combines the ALEPH data pulled from two different databases into
one data file which can then be imported into Excel for further data manipulation and analysis.
The IT support estimates that the programming script will take 30 minutes to write, and several
hours to test to verify that the information is extracted without incorporating corrupt data.









Knudson: Creating an Artists' Book Collection


1. Would the PI consider (or address the impact of) adding an application entry fee (i.e. for
sustainability beyond the grant period)? Answer: Application fee: I have considered this --
and it is standard practice for most juried exhibitions. A fair fee will be $25. A nice, typical, and
acceptable amount, especially for a "first time" exhibition. I think it is appropriate, especially
considering we will be purchasing the selected works into a nationally recognized university's
special collection library. (It will also support the proof-of-concept to demonstrate that students
are willing to submit the work and pay a processing fee.) I think these funds that are collected
should be saved for Year 2 and would help build the case for continuing the event and building a
larger collection. I foresee that a larger fee could be required in the future and each year that
money going towards the next year's purchase funds. The number of submissions if 5
students from each program submit work that would be $1,625.00 (5 students, 13 programs, $25
ea.) Application fees will be used as seed money for year-two national student artist book juried
exhibition and acquisition program.

2. Is it feasible to increase the number of items to be purchased beyond 20, due to the large
number of students who will use these books? If so, please explain. Answer: Increasing the
number of books purchased would also mean increasing the amount of funding requested. (see
budget for the estimate of $140.00 per book) I think that cost per book estimate is low. My first
books (made during grad school) sell for $125 and $175 respectively. My more recent work as a
professional is $250 and up. (which is still inexpensive). I would personally rather have more
books at once, but that will require requesting the full funding amount. (Ellen will submit a
revised budget to increase the opportunity to purchase more books. Her guidelines will specify
the fee range for which books will be purchased. Applicants will indicate the purchase price for
each submission.) The revised budget includes purchase of 30 books.

3. Is the PI willing to ask for additional funds to create a more significant impact (e.g. a
marketing budget, etc.)?If so, please submit a revised budget. Answer: Other than flyers,
posters, etc. I'm not sure what a marketing budget would involve...From what I've observed, I
believe the library has the color printers and such to produce 100 or so 11x17 size posters for the
exhibition...what other marketing opps I would be willing to increase the budget to cover any
costs? (Ellen has a very targeted list of 13 academic institutions that host programs for artist
book students. Therefore she doesn't feel additional funds are needed.)

4. What is an artist book? (Please provide a description of the genre, characteristics, is it a
piece of art, what's the purpose, how are these curated, why are they important to have in
the Libraries collections, etc.) Answer: See provided chart for breakdown of artist book/book
art categories. See examples [Perishable Press, gifted mail art piece, caprices (Baskin), personal
collection samples...]

5. Can the PI change the emphasis from developing a new collection to: the competition,
student learning about how competitions work and why they are important to artists'
careers, the exhibition, etc.? (Emphasize the evaluation/curatorial learning process and the
specific niche this project is creating for UF, in the context of benefits for our students in
comparison to other such programs in the country). Answer: Because my position as









Associate In Book Arts is new, I think that this grant is the perfect opportunity to connect one
part of the position with the other. The emphasis for the artists' book collection is in this order:
1) the call for entries: this is an opportunity to gauge the interest of the book arts community in
having student work collected I think it will be well received. 2) the jurying of the
submissions: which can be done in a classroom/educational way with student observation so that
students can observe how jurying happens, what kind of work is selected and why -- great
opportunity to be privy to those discussions; 3) the exhibition of the works: an opportunity for
UF students and the Gainesville community to see a different kind of artwork -- bring publicity
to special collections and the UF library generally, 4) the works being added to the collection and
with permanent accessibility in the Smathers reading room -- the ultimate goal of the collection
is hands-on use, but the steps taken to attain the books are a part of the learning process. The
books are the reason that these educational opportunities will be available. (Due to the low cost
of these books, they will be accessible in Special & Area Studies Collections Research Room.)

Seale Catalog of Digital Historical Newspapers:

1. "We" vs. PI? Who is responsible for which activities? Division of labor is not clearly
described. Answer: The PI will be responsible for creating the position description, hiring and
supervising the OPS employee and for writing the midterm and final reports with substantial
input from team members. The designated IT staff person will be Mark Sullivan who's providing
consultation work. Marilyn Ochoa will be assisting with the development of the
webpage/interface to the Catalog.

2. Does the extraction query actually work? Answer: Yes, we have a small sample of
newspapers records already exported to folders in RefWorks. (Using RefShare to search
newspapers is more portable if it needs to be migrated later, and it has been tested to locate
what's buried.)
There are 45 records listed in 6 state folders.
username: historicalnewspapers
password: newspapers

3. What about broken links? Is the project team going to sustain this effort beyond the
grant period? How? Answer: This is a great question and an ongoing one for the Libraries.
Broken links are discovered regularly on web pages that we maintain. One option is to utilize
an open source link checker and we would work with Mark to determine the best one to use for
the project. If funded, Shelley has committed to allocate time for checking links and maintaining
the site.

4. How were the original 600 (400 in FL) titles determined? Answer: The number of titles is
approximate but based on already identified only free digital newspapers available in the
southern states. They have been identified through various lists, deep web searching and other
sources. (These can be pulled together to form a unique group.)

5. Why would the Libraries want to put up a link to other people's stuff? Does this not
create more findability issues? Is there another tool that better integrates these collections
into current bibliographic tools (e.g. the library catalog)? Answer: We provide links to other
people's stuff all of the time as a way to help people access the best and most authoritative









information from the vast array of information on the Internet. These resources are most often
not cataloged or may be so deeply buried in the Web that they are difficult to find. Like the
Medieval Manuscripts, our goal is to make these primary resources more findable. With regard
to the metadata being ingested into the catalog, these resources are currently hidden in the deep
web. We envision that this catalog could become part of serials solutions or SFX and thereby
searched automatically via metasearching.

Examples of exterior links to resources include:
Internet Reference Sources:
http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/hss/ref/readyref.html

Finding Dissertations and Theses:
http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/etd.html

Anthropology internet resources

6. Is the programming time sufficient, if so explain? Answer: Marilyn has indicated that she
thinks that the time planned for her portion of the project should be sufficient (her message is
below). Do they mean the programming time to mean Mark (10 hours) and my time? If so, you
specified that the time will include discussion and review of technologies to determine if it is
feasible? The end result would be the development of the beta interface, yes? If this is what
they mean, I am sure that Mark's time should be sufficient. If we discover there an easy solution,
yes, the time you planned for me should be sufficient.

Shoop: Library Instruction How-to Videos

1. What makes this proposal applicable to the emerging technologies category? Answer:
* Use of advanced technological device to create born-digital material
* Integration of read-write web with library instruction (not done at UF)
* More and more universities are creating similar videos for YouTube (we don't want to be
left behind)
* Michele signed off on it...

2. How will the project improve "downloadability" to mobile devices?
Answer: "download" might not be the best word. Videos "stream" from YouTube, and they can
be bookmarked. Once iTunes U is established for UF, the videos will be able to be downloaded
to mobile devices. Alternately, if the library establishes a streaming media server, videos may be
dl'd from there. (During the interview, Margeaux demonstrated the ease of viewing a short
streamed video that came up immediately on her iPhone.)

3. Will the project address ADA issues with web accessibility, e.g., such as captioning?
Answer Yes, YouTube has built-in (automated) captioning software.

4. Use numbers don't seem significant, is there more info on use and findability?
Answer: Students have "found" the video "How to Find Books" 291 times since July 2, and
"Finding Journal Article Databases" 200 times since September 15. (This is remarkable due to
the challenges in finding these instructional videos, and that initially videos were presented to a









small group of students who obviously found them useful and forwarded links to their friends.
Another consideration is the increased traffic these videos will have for the Libraries' homepage,
and the branding/image building these videos can have for the Libraries.)

5. What's a more complete plan for the future use of, and maintenance/replacement of
electronic equipment/devices? Who will use the video camera after the grant period (DLC,
branches, other librarians)? Can camera's be made available for check-out by patrons?
Can the LW multi-media rooms be a place where patrons can use these devices? Answer:
* Camera will not be available for patrons to check out.
* Camera will be made available to any library staff member to create their own
instructional videos or to record library events. (There is currently a checkout process for
equipment/supplies through the Libraries Outreach program.) (At this time, the libraries, except
for HSCL, lack a camcorder/tripod to capture workshops, etc. for posting to the web. Recently
HSCL IT staff have received many requests from non-HSCL staff to record sessions using their
camera.)
* If something should happen to the device while under warranty, it will be replaced.
Otherwise, people will have to be careful not to break it so that it will continue to be used for
many years.

6. How will the project team ensure updates to videos to provide current information and
formatting? Answer: New videos can easily be created when services change, such as when
ILL gets new software. Formatting will not be a problem because YouTube accepts very many
file formats, and once they're online, they're online. (In comparison to previously recorded
library orientation videos, these do not require elaborate design, actors, lighting, editing, etc.
They also will be shorter to accommodate the needs of students for more targeted information.
Finally, they feature students rather than actors and the less polished look of social media that
users prefer.)

7. How will the project be promoted? Project plan doesn't mention including listing video
resources in the library catalog. Answer:
* Library staff will promote the videos in their LibGuides and blogs.
* Many links to the videos from the library website will encourage use.
* A record for the catalog can be created.

8. Cost share allocation to Missy as PI does not follow mini-grant guidelines. Therefore,
who is providing the required cost share and how much is it? (See attached revised budget)

Additional comments: Most Libraries are posting training videos with librarians delivering
instruction to students. This project provides an excellent example of peer teaching which has a
greater likelihood of supporting the "social media" user interaction that the libraries are seeking
to create through the "read/write web."

Smith: Solar cycle Diaries: The Story of a Solar Journey for Change

1. Has PI sought funding from student government, UF office of sustainability, or
ACCENT? Why should the Libraries fund this project and host this project as opposed to
other campus entities? Answer: PI has sought funding from the Office of Sustainability who









have agreed to assist with funding but have not yet provided a figure. The potential is high that
other groups will become involved and provide funding for their own "satellite" events as well.
The project as it stands in the mini-grant is considered a Library project which focuses on the
role the libraries play in being a meeting place/convener to discuss ideas and support academic
programs. (Project team has secured 2 interns as a result of presenting the project idea to a class
on sustainability issues. Four students were actually interested.)

2. What makes this a Libraries project, beyond the personnel involved, LibGuide and a
workshop on government documents? Where is the Libraries' contribution that matches
its specific role on campus (i.e. proposal doesn't appear to be sufficiently "library-like")?
Answer: The libraries are a melting pot for the whole UF campus they are a reference point on
information, new ideas, books, discussions and support the efforts of all the colleges. The
Libraries' Green Team has been active and proposes to put the libraries in a prominent position
through the project outlined in this mini-grant as a place to go for information the issue
happens to be one of the hottest topic on campus SUSTAINABILITY which is a perfect
example of how the libraries can play the role of convener. This is perhaps not a conventional
project for a library but the libraries' role is changing and this event brings with it dialog, and
puts the libraries in a prominent place to support and gather faculty, staff and students within the
place, that is the libraries.

3. Is there an agreement with government documents to support this project? If so, where
are the letters of support and commitment to participate? Answer: Yes there is an
agreement we can provide a letter of support. I have requested that Jan Swanbeck provide a
written commitment.

4. How do the proposed activities connect to make a whole that justifies the Libraries'
leadership and project funding? Answer: The proposed activities form a tapestry of "items"
that together demonstrate the library's real role in being part a neutral place for dialog and open
discussion we cannot always be reactionary, sometimes we need to be visionary this project
conceptualizes and actualizes our role as the element that can bring groups together in a way that
an individual college or group cannot.

5. Could the project include brainstorming of ideas for specific Libraries impacts (e.g. how
can we move towards solar energy for power)? If so, please describe these types new
project activities. Answer: The Libraries Green Team is open to any library employees who
wish to contribute ideas it is an active group and works on projects on an ongoing basis. The
real long term and ongoing benefit this project offers the Libraries is to place us in a dynamic
role, as a gathering place, as a neutral venue for open discussion, as a partner engaged in real
community dialog, as a convener. This is perhaps a new role that the Smathers Libraries could
play and I would propose writing some procedures, based on this project, for organizing a large
UF and community project with the Libraries as the convener, playing a coordinating role around
which groups and individuals can organize themselves and promote their ideas. These
procedures could then be shared through a Smathers Libraries training session which I could
prepare and conduct and also to the broader Academic Research Library community through
presentations at conferences. This project can be the Libraries' beta test for such a role.









Summey: The Smartphone in Medicine


1. Why didn't the project team provide more estimates? (The panel is requesting more
estimates from competitive vendors.) Answer: I unfortunately did not include multiple quotes
because I was unaware that it was a requirement. I was using previous applications as examples
and did not see any indication that previous applicants had contacted multiple vendors. To
correct this, I have contacted two additional firms in the Jacksonville area and have discussed the
proposal with them. Both firms are skilled in smartphone design and will be able to provide
estimates by Friday. I will forward these estimates on to Bess when I receive them.

2. What's the broader impact or beneficial outcome for the Libraries? What will the
project team learn from this project and how will their experiences be shared with other
Library staff? Answer: Because of our small size, the Borland Library is the perfect test pilot
for such a proposal. With a campus of roughly 1,500 faculty, staff, and students, we can explore
the potential of mobile technology without having the fear of it causing issues or problems for
the wider UF campus. For example, getting feedback and reaching out to our 60 pharmacy
students is somewhat easier than trying to reach the entire undergraduate population. Our
experiences with our faculty and students can then be applied to the system as a whole, and the
trials and tribulations we experience can be avoided on a larger scale. As for sharing our
experiences with other Library staff, we would love to set up a brown bag style lunch in order to
present our findings and we would be happy to serve as consultants with any other department
who is interested in working with mobile technology.

3. Will the Libraries have a right to make changes/edit these new resources (web pages
designed for mobile device access)? How will these resources be sustained and updated
beyond the grant period? Answer: All files created by the web design firm will be hosted and
controlled by Borland and the HSC Library. As for updating the website, all three of the
librarians involved in the grant have basic html knowledge and have been assured by all three
design firms that the content portion of the site should be easy to edit. As for sustaining the site
beyond the grant period, our IT department is already exploring and learning the essentials for
mobile design. We believe that by the time updates are needed for the site to remain compatible
with changes to phone browsers that our IT department should be able to make those necessary
changes.

4. What is the meaning of subscription-based services? Can this be clarified? Answer:
Currently, some databases such as Clinical Pharmacology and Refworks are offering mobile
based services for a fee. Libraries, such as University of Texas-Austin and LSU HSC New
Orleans, are currently offering such services to their patrons. UF, as a leader in innovative
technology, should hopefully begin to offer comparable services. Those involved with the grant
hope that the success of the project will jump start such services, whether they be acquired
through vendor renegotiations, acquisitions, or department collaboration. For the period of the
grant though, all reviewed applications will be free and open source.

5. How will the project team gain IRB approval for online surveys? Will the project team
have permission to collect IP addresses? Answer: IRB approval will be gained by the PI by
filling out an IRB-03 form. As for IP addresses, no addresses will be collected. Rather, a