<%BANNER%>
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
External Link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88084205/issues/first_pages/
 Material Information
Title: Panama City pilot
Alternate Title: Pilot
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Publisher: Pilot Pub. Co.
Place of Publication: Panama City, Washington County, Fla
Panama City, Washington County, Fla
Publication Date: 1907-1908
Frequency: weekly
regular
 Subjects
Subjects / Keywords: Newspapers -- Panama City (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Newspapers -- Washington County (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Newspapers -- Bay County (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre: newspaper   ( sobekcm )
newspaper   ( marcgt )
Spatial Coverage: United States -- Florida -- Bay -- Panama City
United States -- Florida -- Washington -- Panama City
 Notes
Review: The Panama City (FL) Pilot LCCN: sn88084205 began publishing in Panama City, Florida on May 30, 1907 under the editorship of George M. West. One of the founders of Panama City, West had been born in New York; had worked for the railroad in Wisconsin, where he was admitted to the Wisconsin bar; and, had subsequently acquired a winter home on St. Johns Bay (FL) in Florida's panhandle. The Panama City Pilot was begun to promote the area for development, which it did throughout its run. In 1909, when Panama City was chartered as a municipality, West married for a third time at the age of 63. His bride, Lillian Carlisle West, was 24 and would become the paper's publisher, manager and editor in 1917 as her husband's health declined. She continued to serve as managing editor from his death in 1926 through 1937, when she retired. Mrs. West also managed the St. Andrews Bay (FL) News LCCN: sn96027205, acquired in 1916, and the Lynn Haven (FL) Free Press LCCN: sn95047194, acquired in 1926. John Perry, who owned several Florida newspapers, purchased the publishing rights to all three West newspapers in 1937. The St. Andrews Bay News was merged with the Bay County Herald LCCN: sn95047289, another Perry newspaper, to become the News-Herald LCCN: sn96027206, and the Panama City Pilot was discontinued at the end of 1941.Panama City, located in Bay County (FL), is the largest city between Florida's capital, Tallahassee (FL), and its western-most city, Pensacola (FL). When the Panama City Pilot began publishing in 1907, St. Andrews (FL) was incorporated, becoming the first city in what became Bay County. In 1908, Atlanta and St. Andrews Bay Railroad (now, ca. 2008, known as the Bayline Railroad) reached Panama City, connecting Atlanta to ports and tourist destinations on the white sand beaches of Florida's Gulf Coast. The railroad, via other railways, linked Panama City to Tallahassee and Pensacola. Panama City was incorporated a year later in 1909. Bay County was formed on July 1, 1913 from portions of Calhoun County (FL), Walton County (FL) and Washington County (FL).--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
Additional Physical Form: Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
Dates or Sequential Designation: Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 30, 1937)-
Dates or Sequential Designation: Began in 1907.
General Note: Editor: G.M. West, <1923-1925>.
 Record Information
Source Institution: Historical Newspaper Catalog
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: oclc - 18434937
lccn - sn 88084205
issn - 1943-8842
Classification:
System ID: HNC0000086:00001
 Related Items
Preceded by: Lynn Haven free press