The new enterprise
Library of Congress - Chronicling America ( External Link )
CITATION
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
External Link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/
 Material Information
Title: The new enterprise
Uniform Title: New enterprise (Madison, Fla.)
Physical Description: 7 v. : ;
Language: English
Publisher: s.n.
Place of Publication: Madison, Fla
Madison, Fla
Publication Date: 1901-1909
Frequency: weekly
regular
 Subjects
Subjects / Keywords: Newspapers -- Madison (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Newspapers -- Madison County (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre: newspaper   ( marcgt )
Spatial Coverage: United States -- Florida -- Madison -- Madison
 Notes
Review: A weekly that billed itself as the "Official Organ of the Board of County Commissioners," the New Enterprise LCCN: sn95047178 began publishing in 1901 and continued through 1908. The newspaper was edited by Columbus B. Smith in Madison (FL), the seat of Madison County (FL) government. The New Enterprise reported on the Cuban Revolution against colonial Spain during its early years. Madison County's soldiers, fighting in the Spanish-American War, were stationed in Cuba, then fighting for its independence. Smith, a Georgia native born in 1843, remained as editor following a merger with the Madison (FL) Recorder (1865-1908) LCCN: sn84022777 that resulted in the Enterprise-Recorder LCCN: sn95047179. By 1933, this newspaper was known as the Madison (FL) Enterprise-Recorder LCCN: sn95047180 and continues as a weekly through the present (ca. 2008), published by Emerald Kinsley of Greene Publishing, Inc. Several members of the Greene family work at the paper and for the affiliated Madison County (FL) Carrier LCCN: sn96027683, also a weekly. The small city of Madison is located in North Florida. It was founded 2 May 1838 on land secured from Madison C. Livingston. Located about fifty miles east of Florida's capital city, Tallahassee, Madison was a political and agricultural center during Florida's early history and remains an agricultural area today. Madison County, established in 1827, was named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States of America. From the 1880s onward, the city of Madison was connected to Tallahassee and markets in other cities in Florida, Alabama and Georgia. But, in 1906, the Augusta Southern Railway connected Augusta, Georgia to Madison, Florida for the purpose of enhancing commerce along a north/south line throughout Georgia. The new line opened new markets to the city and county.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
Additional Physical Form: Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
Dates or Sequential Designation: Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 5, 1901)-v. 7, no. 42 (June 18, 1908).
General Note: Columbus B. Smith, editor.
General Note: "Official organ Board of County Commissioners."
 Record Information
Source Institution: Historical Newspaper Catalog
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: oclc - 33284792
lccn - sn 95047178
issn - 1941-0786
System ID: HNC0000033:00001
 Related Items
Succeeded by: Madison recorder (Madison, Fla.)
Succeeded by: Enterprise-recorder

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2011 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated May 24, 2011 - Version 3.0.0 - mvs