• TABLE OF CONTENTS
HIDE
 Front Cover
 Main






Title: Historic Florida: report of historic site survey
CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/FS00000022/00001
 Material Information
Title: Historic Florida: report of historic site survey
Series Title: Historic Florida: report of historic site survey
Physical Description: Book
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: FS00000022
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: Florida State University
Holding Location: Florida State University
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: ltqf - AAA0246
ltuf - ADH8564

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Page 1
        Front Cover 2
        Front Cover 3
        Front Cover 4
    Main
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4
        Page 5
        Page 6
        Page 7
        Page 8
        Page 9
        Page 10
        Page 11
        Page 12
        Page 13
        Page 14
        Page 15
        Page 16
        Page 17
        Page 18
        Page 19
        Page 20
        Page 21
        Page 22
        Page 23
        Page 24
        Page 25
        Page 26
        Page 27
        Page 28
        Page 29
        Page 30
        Page 31
        Page 32
        Page 33
        Page 34
        Page 35
        Page 36
        Page 37
        Page 38
        Page 39
        Page 40
        Page 41
        Page 42
        Page 43
        Page 44
        Page 45
        Page 46
        Page 47
        Main 47
        Main 48
Full Text










CAmP NEWuM6i
WI TiE BILAFIOKdG0fr THt
bIEt TME TEmiENtEO'rIItHF
CArPNE $W ESTMiUED B6Y
LT COLTA.5MITHJN SEPT.
SIULQMTHEOU) tion .LlK-S tCl
PLlfTATIOIiE CMHP WAS
EOWtO AMIt PMrFIAN
MAlKl ArA A 5F


Ss'l i PORT OF
aOPIC /ITE


JRVEY


AD)I INITIATIO.i


a


Vt
Xu
'r .


PVGREff




vmlU


I









[.~









K =
~ ~{~t

4


~ -,~VV-

L-~*~-Th
-ASS
~ -














IT- ~
+





















FLORIDA WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION


E. A. PYNCHON

ADMINISTRATOR


W. A. McMULLEN, JR.

ASST. ADMINISTRATOR


L. S. RICKARD

ASST. ADMINISTRATOR


WILLIAM L. WILSON

DIRECTOR PROFESSIONAL AND SERVICE PROJECTS



JULIA MAY SAMPLE

ASST. DIRECTOR PROFESSIONAL AND SERVICE PROJECTS





A. G. WITHEE

SUPERVISOR

**ii- W i-* i"HH*-*i*--i-*


-rF I


---





















HISTORICAL SITE SURVEY

No State in the Union has a more historic back-

ground than Florida. Since its discovery in 1612

by Juan Ponce de Leon its people have lived under

five flags. It has played its part in all the ma-

jor events which have shaped the course of our

country. Few people realize this and few people

know the location of the spots where Florida's

part in these events was played.

This survey, sponsored by the State Planning

Board, was conceived for the purpose of facilita-

ting the marking of these spots by the State Road

Department under authority granted by the State

Legislature in 1935.

The Supervisor of this survey desires to express

his appreciation of the assistance rendered by the

Federal Writerst Projects and the State Archives

Survey and also the Federal Art Project for the

illustrations in this report.










ALACHUA COUNTY


NEWNANMS FORT

One-half mile down this road
is the site of Newnan's Fort.
Here on the night of September
28, 1812, Col. Daniel Newnan
and his command entrenched
themselves when attacked by
the Indians.

State Highway No. 14 at
Windsor Road.


BELLAMY ROAD

Along this street ran the old
Bellamy Road leading from St.
Augustine to West Florida
points.

Main Street of Melrose.


1ST BATTLE OF
GAINESVILLE

Here on February 15, 1864, a
detachment of Federal troops,
commanded by Col. Guy V. Hen-
ry, successfully defended
their barricade of cotton
bales against an attack by
Confederate forces under com-
mand of Capt. A. E. Chambers.

Court House Square, Corner
University Avenue and West
Main Street Gainesville.


2ND BATTLE OF
GAINESVILLE

Here on August 17, 1864, a
large Federal force, commanded
by Col. Harris, were routed by
Capt. J. J. Dickison and his
troop of cavalry. The entire
Federal force with the excep-
tion of Col. Harris and ten
men were either killed or cap-
tured.

South Oak Street between
Market and Lemon Streets -
Gainesville.


DEVIL'S MILL HOPPER

Three and a half miles North
is a natural rock formation,
famous in early days as a
gathering place of the Indi-
ans.

State Highway #14, at Coun-
ty Road, Four and one-half
miles West of Gainesville.


FORT HARLLEE

Two Miles West, on the Santa
Fe River, is the site of Fort
Harllee, established in 1835
by Major William W. Harllee
and his South Carolina Bat-
talion, to guard the road
from St. Augustine to Gaines-
ville. Here stood the famous
Harllee Orange Tree, which,
at the time it was killed by
the freeze of 1895, was the
oldest and largest orange
tree in Florida.

State Highway #15, two
and one-half miles North
of Waldo.


KANAPAHA SINK

A mile and a half South was
the scene of the whipping of
six Indians by Major Williams
and his patrol for cattle
stealing. This was one of the
acts which brought on the sec-
ond Seminole Indian War.

State Highway No. 15, Ten
Miles Southwest of Gaines-
ville, at fork of paved
road that crosses railroad.


KING PAYNE'S HOUSE

A mile and a quarter down this
road in a hammock, on the
right, is the remains of the
stone house of King Payne. He
was a powerful Chief of the
Seminoles and a brother of
Billy Bowlegs. He was killed
in a battle with Col. Newnan's










ALACHUA COUNTY


Troops September 27, 1812.

State Highway No. 2, at
Rochelle Road Junction,
North edge of Micanopy.


HAILE PLANTATION

Three miles north of here John
Haile, of Charleston, S. C.,
settled about 1S50, on a por-
tion of the Arredonda Grant.
Here Judah P. Benjamin, Secre-
tary of State of the Confeder-
acy, spent several days while
on his way to Cuba, after the
fall of Richmond.


At 10 Mile
Gainesville,
way No. 14.


Post. East of
on State High-


MICANOPY OAK AND WELL

Under the Oak tree which stood
here before the white man came
*he Indians held their Tribal
ouncils. Here they built the
well, which still remains.

State Highway No. 2, just
South of Micanopy.


LAKE LEDWITH MASSACRE

Six Miles West, on the South
shore of Lake Ledwith, is the
site of the ambuscade and mas-
sacre of a detachment of the
7th Infantry, under Lt. Sher-
wood, acting as escort for
Mrs. Montgomery on December
28, 1840.


State Highway No. 2, in
Micanopy.





BAKER COUNTY


OLD BLOCK HOUSE

About twelve miles North of
here stands the last existing
Block House of Indian War
days. Built in 1837 by B. R.
Burnsed for the protection of
neighboring settlers.

Intersection of State High-
way No. 1 and Taylor Road
at Glen St. Mary.


CONFEDERATE
ENTRENCHMENTS

At the top of the Bluff along
the West bank of the river
runs a line of Entrenchments,
erected by General Finegan to
guard the crossing of the St.


Mary's River.

To the West of Little St.
Mary's River State High-
way No. 1.


BATTLE OF OLUSTEE

On February 20, 1864, Federal
Forces, under General Seymour,
on an expedition to capture
the Confederate Supply Base at
Lake City, were routed by the
Confederate Forces under Gen-
eral Finegan. This was the
largest battle of the Civil
War in Florida.

3 miles East of Olustee -
State Highway No. 1.









BAKER COUNTY


TRAIL RIDGE

Along this Ridge ran the Indi-
an Trails from South Florida
to points in Georgia and the


Carolinas.

About two miles East of
Macclenny, State Highway
No. 1.


BAY COUNTY


WELLS

A British Town established
during the British Occupancy
of West Florida 1763-1783.

Inside the corporate lim-
its of St. Andrews. State
Highway No. 10.


SALT WORKS


shores of the Bays and Bayous
in this section were located
many plants for the production
of salt for the Confederate
forces. They were frequently
destroyed by Federal Naval
forces operating in these wa-
ters.


East end
West Bay
No. 10.


of bridge over
- State Highway


During the Civil War on the





BROWARD COUNTY


U. S. MAIL ROUTE

This is the route over which
the mail was carried on foot
from Palm Beach to Miami in
the early days. On September
11, 1887, James E. Hamilton,
the mail carrier, lost his
life in an attempt to swim the
Inlet.

South end of Bridge over
Hillsborough Inlet State
Highway No. 140.


SITE OF FORT LAUDERDALE

"This tablet marks the site of
Old Fort Lquderdale, built in
1838, by Major William Lauder-
dale, in command here during
the Seminole War."


Marked by D. A. R.

Southern extremity of Coast
Guard Base No. 6, Las Olas
Beach, Fort Lauderdale.


FORT LAUDERDALE

On this spot, January 31,
1895, Frank Stranahan, the
Founder of this City, conduct-
ed a ferry across New River,
established a Trading Post
with the Indians and operated
the first U. S. Post Office.
Seven-tenths of a mile East
of this point occurred in
1842, the massacre by the Sem-
inoles of the Coles family,
which destroyed the first
white settlement on New River.
Two and one-tenth miles East









BROWARD COUNTY


of this spot, in the reserva-
tion of the U. S. Coast Guard,
is the site of Fort Lauder-
dale, built in 1838, during
the Seminole War, by U. S.
Government forces under com-
mand of Major William Lauder-


dale, for which this City was
named.
Marked by D. A. R.

Northwest abutment of New
River Bridge State High-
way No. 4, Ft. Lauderdale.


CITRUS COUNTY


YULEE SUGAR MILL

Nine miles Southeast are the
ruins of The Sugar Mill built
about 1840 by David Yulee.
The mill furnished sugar for
the Confederate armies during


the Civil War.

State Highway No. 22, one-
half mile Northwest of Le-
canto, at Junction of Road
to Homossa Springs.


CLAY COUNTY


MIDDLEBURG

Settled about 1818, in the
fork of Black Creek. Here
were the sites of Garey's Fer-
ry, Fort Heileman, and Fort
Sanderson. Here were the
headquarters of General Scott
and General Jesup during the
Indian Wars. The town was oc-
cupied by Union troops during
the Civil War.

State Highway No. 68 where
County Road turns South to
town.


OLD CLARK HOUSE

Built in 1835 for Capt. Clark
and his staff, and occupied by
officers serving under General
Scott and General Jesup in the
Indian Campaigns. It was also
used by Union officers during
the Civil War.


The first house North of
the present Post Office of
Middleburg.


METHODIST CHURCH
1847

Built by slave labor in 1847,
from lumber donated by George
Branning. The original bell
is still in use.

Near the center of the
town of Middleburg.


FORT FRANCIS de PUPA

About six miles Southeast on
the banks of the river are the
remains of the old Spanish
Fort originally built by the
Spanish shortly after the
founding of St. Augustine. It
was erected to guard the old
Spanish Trail to West Florida.









CLAY COUNTY


The Fort was captured in 1740
by the English under General
Oglethorpe.

State Highway No. 48, at
Walkill Road, 1 Mile South
of Green Cove Springs.


"AMERICA"

The famous racing yacht Ameri-
ca ran the blockade off the


mouth of the St. Johns River
in March, 1862. Was sunk at
Taylor's Landing, six miles up
Black Creek to prevent capture
by Federal. It was discover-
ed and raised in April, 1862,
and put in service by the Fed-
eral Forces.

State Highway No. 3, at
North end of Black Creek
Bridge.


COLUMBIA COUNTY


HENRY'S RAID

In front of these Trenches, a
detachment of the 40th Massa-
chusetts Cavalry, under Colo-
nel Henry, on a raid to the
Suwanee River, were turned
back by Confederate Troops.


February 10, 1864.

Line of Trenches on South
side of State Highway No.
1, near Watertown, where
State Highway No. 1 paral-
lels the G. S. & F. Rail-
way.


DADE COUNTY


CAPE FLORIDA LIGHT

On Key Biscayne stands the
Cape Florida Light, scene of
an attack by the Indians on
July 23, 1836. The Keeper was
finally rescued by sailors
from a passing ship, after the
stairway had been burned down.

Marker on South Bay Shore
Drive opposite Key Bis-
cayne, Miami.


FORT DALLAS

"1835-38, Site of Fort Dallas.
Erected for the protection of
Southern Florida during the


Seminole Wars.
Marked by D. A. R.

Southeast 1st Court Mi-
ami.


BARRACKS

"1835-1838. Barracks of Fort
Dallas. Moved to and rebuilt
on this spot in 1925 by the
concerted efforts of the citi-
zens of Miami."
Marked by D. A. R.

Lummus Park, N. W. 3rd
Street and 3rd Avenue -
Miami.


I


__










DADE COUNTY


ST. IGNACIO

Three Miles West, at the in-
tersection of Ludlum Road and
Rockdale Road, is the site of
the Josuit Mission of St. Ig-
nacio, established in 1743 by
Father Xavier de Alana and Fa-
ther Jose Maria Monaco.

13 Miles South of Miami,
at Intersection of Rock-


North End of Brickel Ave-
nue Bridge over Miami Riv-
er, Miami.


OLD INDIAN
TRADING POST

On this site stood the old
Trading Post and home of Jack
Tigertail.


Fort Dallas Barracks, Miami


dale Road and State High-
way 4A.


TEGESTE MISSION

At the mouth of the Miami Riv-
er in 1567 was erected the
Mission of Tegeste by direc-
tion of Pedro Menendez de Av-
iles. A blockhouse for a gar-
rison of 30 soldiers was also
built here.


Miami River and N. W. 19th
Avenue, off 7th Avenue,
Miami.










DUVAL COUNTY


RIBAULT MONUMENT

This is a replica of the mark-
er placed on or near this spot
by Jean Ribault, May 2, 1562,
in taking possession of Flori-
da for France.
Erected by D. A. R.

On Sand Dune, just East of
Road near Mayport.


ST. JOHNS BLUFF

Seven miles from here is the
site of Ft. Caroline, St.
Johns Town, Civil War and
Spanish-American War defenses
of Jacksonville.

Atlantic Boulevard (State
Highway No. 78) at Fulton
Road.


CAMP OF MENENDEZ

In the hollow, South of this
point, lies the pond on the
shore of which Menendez, his
officers and men camped on the
night of September 19, 1565,
just prior to the capture of
Fort Caroline.

Arlington, St. John's Bluff
Highway at a point 1500
feet West of Summit of said
Bluff.


FORT CAROLINE

Below this Bluff on the Flats,
(now submerged), stood Fort
Caroline. Built by Rene Laud-
onniere in 1564. Captured by
Menendez September 20, 1565.
Recaptured and destroyed by de
Gourges 1568.

About 1000 feet North of
new Arlington, St. John's
Bluff Highway, at a point
approximately 3000 feet
West of the summit of said
Bluff.


ENGLISH 'FORT

On the Flats, (now submerged)
below the point of the Bluff,
once stood the Fort erected by
the English in 1778.

600 feet North of the new
Arlington St. John's
Bluff Highway, at a point
300 feet West of said
Bluff.

End of St. John's Bluff
Highway.


CONFEDERATE FORT

In the Fall of 1862 Brig. Gen.
Joseph Finegan built an earth-
en fortification here to pre-
vent the Federal troops from
ascending the river.

At the exact summit of St.
Johnts Bluff and at the
terminus of the new St.
John's Bluff Highway.


SPANISH AMERICAN
WAR FORT

Erected in 1898 to guard the
entrance to the river.

On the East crest of St.
John's Bluff.


FORT SAN NICHOLAS

1530 feet North of this spot
stood an early Spanish forti-
fication, Fort San Nicholas.
Abandoned July 4, 1817.
Marked by D. A. R.

Atlantic Boulevard, South
Jacksonville.


BATTEN ISLAND

15 Miles East is the spot
where Jean Ribault landed May
1, 1562. Just beyond is
FORT GEORGE ISLAND
Plantation of General John H.


r-










DUVAL COUNTY


McIntosh, purchased in 1817 by
Zephaniah Kingsley for his
Slave Trading operations.

Intersection of State Road
No. 3 and Heckscher Drive.


ST. JOHN'S BLUFF

Opposite this point at the
foot of the Bluff is the site
of Old Fort Caroline 1564.
The English settlement of St.
John's Town was built on the
same site in 1782.

Heckscher Drive, two miles
West of Sister's Creek.


JEAN RIBAULT MONUMENT

Jean Ribault and a party of
Huguenots landed the morning
of May 1st, 1562, on this Is-
land. Here they knelt in
prayer beseeching God's guid-
ance and commending the na-
tives to his care. This was
the first Protestant prayer in
North America.
Marked by D. A. R.

Batten Island at Pilot Town.


MOUNT CORNELIA
Elevation 63 ft.

Highest point on Atlantic
Coast, South of Sandy Hook,
used as a Military Observation
Station during Spanish-Ameri-
can War.

In Jean Ribault Golf Course,
mile from Club House, Fort
George Island.


ZEPHANIAH KINGSLEY'S HOME

Built in 1817 as the planta-
tion home of Zephaniah Kings-
ley.

North end of Fort George
Island.


OLD McINTOSH HOUSE

Afterwards occupied by Zephan-
iah Kingsley's African wife,
Anna Madegiene Jai, from 1817
to 1839.

Directly behind Kingsley's
own dwelling. Fort George
Island.


SLAVE PRISON

This building used by Zephan-
iah Kingsley as a barn and
slave prison in 1817.

North end of Fort George
Island.


CAMP NEW HOPE

On the bluff overlooking the
river are the Entrenchments of
Camp New Hope, established by
Lt. Col. T. A. Smith, in Sept.
1812, on the old Hollingsworth
Plantation. The Camp was
evacuated and burned by Major
Manning, April 26, 1813.


One-half Mile
Goodby's Lake.
Highway No. 4.


North of
Old State


BATTLE OF THOMAS SWAMP

On the morning of May 17,
1777, at Thomas Swamp, West of
here, Col. Baker and his force
of Americans were attacked and
routed by British Troops and
Indians under Major Provost.

Where State Highway No. 3
starts across Nassau River
Marsh.


YELLOW BLUFF

Two miles South on the Bluff
are the remains of the forti-
fications erected in 1862 for
the defense of Jacksonville.
Abandoned at the time of the
capture of the defenses at St.









DUVAL COUNTY


Johns Bluff. Occupied by the
Federal Forces in 1864.

Junction of Heckscher Drive
and New Berlin Road.


SLAVE QUARTERS
1817

Tabby houses occupied by Zeph-
aniah Kingsley's slaves.


seeking a water way to Mexi-
co."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.


Banks of the St.
River at Memorial
Jacksonville.


Johns
Park,


* t


r.,i


403J F.ttf


Slave Quarters on Fort George Island


One-fourth mile behind the
home of "Princess" Anna.
Fort George Island.


ST. JOHNS RIVER

"September, 1565, Don Pedro
Menendez, Founder of St. Au-
gustine, and Adellatado of the
Floridas, under Philip II of
Spain, voyaged up this river


OSSACHITE

"Site of the Ancient Timuquan
Indian Town of Ossachite, from
earliest times until about
1700."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

Northeast corner of Julia
and Monroe Streets Jack-
sonville.


I '
it


m' f


,1'




ii'LI

r.i
c










DUVAL COUNTY


BLOCKHOUSE

"Here stood the Blockhouse
erected for the defense of the
settlers against the Indians
during the Seminole War 1835-
1842."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

At the north-east corner of
Monroe End Ocean Streets -
Jacksonville.


ROUTE OF RETREAT

"Route of the retreat of the
Federal Forces for the Battle
of Olustee, 47 miles West of
here, February 20, 1864. Con-
federate: Commander J. Fine-
gan; Troops 4,600; Guns 12;
Casualties 940. Federal:
Commander T. Seymour; Troops
5,500; Guns 16, Casualties
1,861."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

At the Southeast entrance
to Hemming Park Jackson-
ville.


BATTLE OF THE BRICK
CHURCH

"3 A. M., March 25, 1862, at
this point, Third Regiment,
Florida Volunteers, attacked
and drove in pickets of the
Ninety-Seventh Pennsylvania
Regiment, known as the Battle
of the Brick Church."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

On West side Myrtle Avenue,
Block North of Adams
Street Jacksonville.


KING'S ROAD

"At this spot the King's Road
met the old Spanish Trail, so
connecting the English colo-
nies and the Spanish settle-
ments of the West with St. Au-


gustine and New Smyrna."
Marked by the D. A. R. 1928.


In Hemming Park,
val and Laura
Tacksonville.


near Du-
Streets,


FEDERAL ENTRENCHMENTS


"1862-1865, just East of here,
began the line of entrench-
ments Eighth Maine and Sixth
Connecticut Infantry, Federal
Army of Occupation."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

In the South entrance to
the main waiting room of
the Union Terminal Station
Jacksonville.


McGIRT'S CREEK

Named after Daniel McGirth, a
noted Revolutionary Tory and
outlaw, who once escaped by
swimming his horse across the
Creek.

Marker to be placed at
North end of Ortega bridge.
Jacksonville.


MANDARIN POINT

On the other side of the riv-
er, during a period of forty
days, in 1864, three Federal
Gunboats were sunk by Confed-
erate mines.

North end of State Highway
bridge across Doctor's In-
let State Highway No. 2.


SITE OF COW FORD

"Site of Cow Ford, or Wacca
Pilatka, and Ancient Indian
Ford. Later called Jackson-
ville."
Marked by Jacksonville Histor-
ical Society.

Foot of Liberty Street,










DUVAL COUNTY


Jacksonville.


CAMP MILTON

Along the West side of Mc-
Girt's Creek, on both sides of
the railroad, ran a line of
Confederate Entrenchments.
Their final construction was
under direction of General P.
G. T. Beauregard.

West of McGirt's Creek,
about 11 miles West of
Jacksonville State High-
way No. 1.


CONFEDERATE
ENTRENCHMENTS

Line of Entrenchments for pro-
tection of Baldwin crossed
Highway and Railroad at this
point. They were captured on
several occasions by Federal


About one-third mile east
of the present site of
Baldwin State Highway
No. 1.


"STOWEWAY"
1 8 6 6

Home of Harriet Beecher Stowe,
author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin".

On main Highway through
village of Mandarin.


CAMP
JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON

Training Camp for Quartermas-
ter Officers and Troops. 1917
-1919.

State Highway No. 3, near
Yukon.


ESCAMBIA COUNTY


CANTONMENT CLINCH

U. S. Military Reservation es-
tablished in 1823. Here Gen-
eral Jackson had his headquar-
ters just prior to receiving
surrender of West Florida from
the Spanish July 17, 1821.

Two miles West of Pensacola
on the Jackson Street Road.


CAMBELL TOWN

Established here during the
British Occupancy, 1763-1783.
Center of the Indigo Industry
in West Florida.

Eight miles Northeast of
Pensacola State Highway
No. 1.


FIFTEEN MILE HOUSE

Manual Gonzalez's Home. Head-
quarters of General Jackson in
1821. Here the concluding
session of Florida's first
Legislature was held in 1822.

300 Yards East of Canton-
ment Station State High-
way No. 7.


PINE BARREN CREEK

Here General Jackson crossed
with his Troops in 1814, 1818,
and 1821. The old Three Notch
Road built by the United
States, from Columbus, Geor-
gia, to Fort Barrancas in
1826, also crossed here.

30 Miles North of Pensaco-


Forces.









ESCAMBIA COUNTY


la on State Road No. 7.


CHRIST CHURCH

"From 1763-1783 the Bishop of
London licensed priest to ad-
minister here. The Parish was
organized in 1827. Chartered
by Florida's Territorial Coun-
cil in 1829. The Rev. Addison
Searle was the first rector.
During the rectorship of the
Rev. Benjamin Hutchins and of
the Rev. Ashbel Steele this
church was built being com-
pleted in 1832. The Rt. Rev.
Jackson Kemper, D.D. made the
first episcopal visitation in
1833 and consecrated the
church to the worship of God,
according to the Anglican
Rite." Marked by the Pensaco-
la Historical Society 1934.


Southwest Corner
ty and Adams
Facing Seville
Pensacola.


of Liber-
Streets.
Square,


PANTON, LESLIE & CO'S
TRADING POST

"Site of Panton Leslie &
Co's Indian Trading Post. Es-
tablished during the English
Occupation 1763-1783 and buri-
al place of Alexander McGilli-
vray, born Ft. Toulouse, Ala.
1746. Died Pensacola, Fla.
1793. Made Chief of Creek Na-
tion 1776. Commissioned Brit-
ish Colonel 1778. Spanish
Agent 1784. U. S. Brigadier
General 1790". Marked by Pen-
sacola Historical Society
1935.

Northeast corner of Barce-
lona and Main Streets,
Pensacola.


NUNEZ FERRY

Half a mile south is the site
of Nunez Ferry. Established
in 1815 on the old Stage Route
from Pensacola West. In oper-


action until 1919.

East end of Bridge across
Perdido River on State
Highway No. 1.


"Site of Residence of General
Andrew Jackson while Governor
of Florida. Destroyed by fire
1839."
Marked by Pensacola Historical
Society 1935.

Southeast corner of Inten-
dencia and Palafox Sts.


PLAZA SQUARE

"In the Plaza Gen. Andrew
Jackson received West Florida
from Spain and raised the Flag
of the U. S. July 17, 1821.

To recall the flags of five
Nations which have been raised
in turn ten times over Pensa-
cola Spain -1559-0719, 1723-
1763, 1783-1821. France 1719-
1723; Great Britain 1763-1783.
United States of America 1821-
1861-1862. Confederate States
of America 1861-1862. Recall-
ing that here was the center
of life of the town and of the
Providence of West Florida
during the greater part of the
Colonial Era."
Marked by Pensacola Historical
Society.

Plaza Square on East side
of Palafox Street be-
tween Liberty and Govern-
ment Streets, Pensacola.


FORT GEORGE
1763 1783

"Last Relic of British West
Florida, captured by Bernardo
de Galvez, May 8, 1781. Re-
named San Michael. Seized by
Andrew Jackson, November 7,
1814 May 23, 1818.
Marked by Pensacola Council
No. 778 (K of C).


I









ESCAMBIA COUNTY


Southwest corner Palafox
and Jackson Streets, fac-
ing Lee Square, Pensacola.


FORT SAN OARLOS

Originally constructed in 1696
by the Spanish. In 1719 it
was captured by the French.
Retaken by the' Spanish and
again taken and destroyed by


OLD FORT BARRANCAS

Built by the United States ar-
my between 1859 and 1844.
Fort Redoubt, 1000 yards
North, built same period.
Trench and breastworks con-
necting still shows. Held by
the Confederates from early in
1861 to 1862.


Main Gate of


Old Fort Bar-


Fort San Carlos and Fort Barrancas, Pensacola


the French. Reconstructed by
the Spanish between 1781 and
1790. It was taken by both
England and the United States
in 1814. In 1818 General An-
drew Jackson captured the Fort
from Spain, who ceded it to
the United States in 1821.
Held by Confederates in 1861
and 1862.

On Eastern wall of Old San
Carlos Magazine.


rancas, at Draw-bridge.


TRISTAX De LUNA
1559 1562

Here Tristam De Luna estab-
lished the first Spanish Cl-
ony in Florida, in 1559. ue
to the hardships encountered
by the colonists, the settle-
mentwas abandoned in 1562.

U. S. Government Reserva-
tion at Barrancas, Flori-









ESCAMBIA COUNTY


da, 9 miles West df Pensa-
cola.


FORT SAN BERNARDO

Built in 1781 by the Spanish


under de Galvez, for the pur-
pose of destroying Ft. George,
then occupied by the British.

Corner Barcelona and Brain-
ard Streets Pensacola.


FLAGLER COUNTY


BULOW VILLE PLANTATION

Four Miles North on Kings
Road. Settled in 1812 by
James Russell. Purchased by
Chas. Bulow in 1821 and Sugar
Mill erected. Served as head-
quarters for Major Putnam dur-


ing Indian War 1835. Destroy-
ed by the Indians after the
Troops were withdrawn.

Junction of State Highway
No. 4 and Kings Highway, -
Mile South of Flagler
County Line.


FRANKLIN COUNTY


CONFEDERATE BREASTWORKS

These entrenchments were erec-
ted in 1864 to protect Apa-
lachicola from Federal raids.

State Highway No. 10, one-
third mile Southwest of
City Limits of Apalachico-
la.


"RANEY HOME"

Built in 1834; Used as head-
quarters of Federal forces in
reconstruction days. Oldest
building in Apalachicola.

Corner P Avenue and Market
Street Apalachicola.


NEGRO PORT
1814

Fifteen miles North stood The


Negro Fort. This Fort and its
garrison of negroes and Indi-
ans was destroyed by the ex-
plosion of the Magazine during
a bombardment by American Gun-
boats August 24, 1816. After-
wards re-built by General
Jackson and named Fort Gads-
den.

State Highway No. 10 East
end of Bridge over Apala-
chicola River.


DR. JOHN GORRIE
1803-1855

Inventor of the Ice Machine
and Mechanical Refrigeration.
Marked.

Cemetery Apalachicola.


I -




*9JII


FRANKLIN COUNTY


FORBES PURCHASE
1803-1804

A tract of land ceded to John
Forbes & Co., by Hopoeithle
Micco in satisfaction of debts
incurred by the Indians. Site
of the City of Apalachicola
was included in the original
Forbes Purchase.

Junction of Market Street,
Avenue B, and State High-
way No. 10 Apalachicola.


THE MANSION HOUSE

In the dining room of the Man-
sion House, which once stood
on this site, Dr. John Gorrie
gave the first public demon-
stration of the manufacture of
artificial ice in 1850;

North corner intersection
at 4th Street and Avenue D,
Apalachicola.


GADSDEN COUNTY


McLEAN MASSACRE
1840

A quarter of a mile South of
this point is the site of the
old McLean home. The house
was destroyed and Mrs. McLean
and her three daughters killed
by the Creek Indians April 23,
1840. Her son killed the son
of the Chief and escaped.

Six miles Southwest of
Greensboro, Florida, on
State Highway No. 12.


CHATTAHOOCHEE ARSENAL

A portion of the Administra-
tion Building was constructed
in 1832 as an arsenal and army
post for U. S. Troops during
the Indian Wars. Again occu-
pied by Federal troops in
1861.

Main Entrance to Florida
State Hospital.


GILCHRIST COUNTY


.. FORT FANNING

A log fort built in 1838 stood
on the bluff above the river,
just North of here. Named for
Major A. C. W. Fanning, an of-
ficer in General Jackson's ex-


edition to this part of Flor-
ida in 1818.

State Highway No. 19, East
end of bridge over Suwan-
nee River.


CI -------








GULF COUNTY


LAKE WIMICO AND ST. JOSEPH
RAILROAD

Connecting St. Joseph with the
Apalachicola River. First
steam operated railroad in
Florida. 1836 1841

State Highway No. 10 li
miles Southeast of Port
St. Joe.


ST. JOSEPH AND IOLA RAILROAD

Here ran the fourth railroad
in the United States. Built
in 1839 from St. Joseph to
lola, it hauled cotton and
other goods brought down the


Apalachicola River from North
Florida and Georgia points fol
re-shipment by steamer from
St. Joseph.

On State Highway No. 6,
just South of White City.


CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION

At this place from December 3,
1838, to January 11, 1839, was
held the first Florida Consti-
tutional Convention.

State Highway No. 10 100
yards in front of Monument
St. Joseph.


HAMILTON COUNTY


MICCO

One quarter Mile North was the
Flourishing Indian Village of
Micco. A trading post was es-
tablished here in 1817 by Dan-
iel Bell. It became the first


county seat of Hamilton County
in 1827.

East end of Alapaha River
Bridge, State Highway No.
2, 5 Miles West of Jasper.


HENDRY COUNTY


FORT THOMPSON

Established 1854 and named for
Lt. Col. Alexander R. Thomp-
son, 6th Infantry, who was
killed at the Battle of Lake


Okeechobee December 25, 1837.

About three miles East of
LeBelle on State Highway
No. 25.


I









HERNANDO COUNTY


BAYPORT

Six miles West is Bayport,
settled by Major John Parsons
in 1842. Scene of many raids
during the Indian Wars. Bom-
barded and captured by Federal


Naval Forces during the Civil
War.

State Highway No. 15, at
junction of County Road
near Weekiwachee Springs.


HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY


BELL'S SHOALS

Five miles East is the spot,
described in Jules Verne's
fantastic story "From the
Earth to the Moon", at which
was located the huge cannon
from which the projectile was
shot to the moon.

North end of Bridge over
Alafia River State High-
way No: 5.


HOOKER'S POINT

Scene of the landing in 1864
of Federal troops, under Gen-
eral Woodberry, when they oc-
cupied Ft. Brooke and Tampa.

South of Tampa near 22nd
Street Causeway.


DeSOTO PARK

Here the 2nd Georgia Infantry
and the 69th New York Infantry
were encamped during the Span-
ish American War 1898.

State Highway No. 541,
East of 22nd Street.


GADSDEN POINT

Here U. S. Troops under Col.
Geo. M. Brooke, landed March
5, 1825, to establish Fort
jBrooke. The Federal Troops
'also landed here in 1863.


Near State Highway No. 17
below Ballast Point.


ROCKY POINT

Site of extensive salt works
operated during the Civil War.
Destroyed by the Federal fleet
in July, 1864.

Ten miles West of Tampa on
Davis Causeway.


FORT BROOKE

Here was the site of Fort
Brooke, established in 1823,
and maintained as a Military
Post until 1869.
From here on December 23,
1835, Major Dade and his com-
mand set out for Fort King.
Five days later they were mas-
sacred by the Indians under
Chief Jumper and Micanopy.

Whiting Street at Franklin,
Tampa.


BURNT BRIDGE

Just west of here stood a
wooden bridge twice burned by
the Indians. This bridge was
on the Military Road used by
Major Dade and his command on
their last march. Here also
stood Fort Alabama.

End of Bridge over Hills-
borough River on State


.1 -- --- -- __








HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY


Highway No. 156.

MAJOR DADE'S MARCH

Along here ran the road taken
by Major Dade and his ill fat-
ed command on December 25,
1855, en route from Fort
Brooke to Fort King.

Union Station Nebraska
Avenue, Tampa.

SPANISH AMERICAN WAR
1898
This marks the headquarters
of: RooseveltTs Rough Riders;
Gen. Wheeler's Cavalry; 1st
Florida Infantry.

Plant Park, facing Grand
Central Avenue, Tampa.

DeSOTO OAK
1539
Under the branches of this
Oak, tradition says DeSoto
parleyed with the Indians.
Marked by D. A. R.

Tampa Bay Grounds, Plant


Park.


"This marker is to commemorate
The Echebucsassa Post Office,
which was four miles North of
this place.
Marked by D. A. R.

State Highway No. 17 and
Baker Street Plant City.

FORT SULLIVAN
One mile East is the site of
Fort Sullivan, originally
called Echebucsassa, erected
during the Indian Wars.

Knight's Station. State
Highway No. 23.

OLD FORT KING ROAD
Along here ran the 'old Ft.
King road. This was the route
of Major Dade's tragic march
in December, 1855.

Thonotosassa Tampa Road
at intersection of Zephr-
hills road.


JACKSON COUNTY


BATTLE OF MARIAIHHA
Site of the Battle of Marianna
and historic St. Luke's Church
destroyed by Federal Troops,
September 27, 1864.

Lafayette Street Entrance
to the Church Yard, Marian-
na.


NATURAL CAVE
One and one-half miles North
is the cave in which the Indi-
ans hid while General Jackson
marched his troops across the
Natural Bridge above them in
1818.

Eastern Limits of Marianna
State Highway No. 1.


I










JEFFERSON COOUTY


LAKE MICPOSXUEE

On the shores of this lake,
Ponfilio de Narvaez camped in
1528.

General Andrew Jackson was


here in 1818.

The villages of the Miccosuki-
an Indians were on its shores.

State Highway No. 1, six
miles West of Monticello.


LAKE COUNTY


FORT BUTLER

Used as a garrison by Troops
during the Indian Wars. Occu-
pied by Federal forces in the
Civil War. Captured by Capt.


J. J. Dickison's Command in
May, 1864.

State Highway No. 19, *
mile West of Bridge, at
Astor.


LEE COUNTY


HEADQUARTERS

The Post Office now occupies
the site of U. S. Troop Head-
quarters during the Indian and
Civil Wars.

First Street at Postoffice,
Ft. Myers.


U. S. BARRACKS


Here stood the
pied by U. S.
the Indian and
Marked.


Barracks occu-
Troops during
Civil Wars.


Jackson Street, corner of
Second Street, Ft. Myers.


FORT DULANY

Established in 1837 by direc-
tion of Gen. Zachary Taylor
for operations against the In-
dians.

The present site of the
Town of Punta Rassa.


CHARLOTTE HARBOR

In 1856 a band of Seminole In-
dians raided the settlement
here and massacred all the in-
habitants.

State Highway No. 5, North
end of Bridge.


_









LEON COUNTY


LA FAYETTE GRANT

This road passes through Town-
ship IN, RIE, which was grant-
ed to the Marquis de La Fay-
ette by Congress, in recogni-
tion of his aid to the colo-
nies of services and funds
during the Revolution.

State Highway No. 19 where
road to Golf Club turns
off.


State
front
Home.


Highway No. 1 in
of Judge Terrell's


THE GROVE

Home of Richard K. Call, Ter-
ritorial Governor of Florida
from 1836 to 1844. The house
was built by his slaves in
1824.

North end of Adams Street
First Avenue, Tallahas-
see.


GOODWOOD

Historical Tallahassee Home,
erected 1839, by Bryan Croom.

Two miles from City Limits
on Miccosukee Road.


WILLIAM HOME

The Home of Robert W. William,
Agent of Marquis de Lafayette
la selling the land granted to
him by Congress in 1825.
T'ected in 1831 and used as
Iradquarters by Federal Troops
in Reconstruction days.

Southeast corner of Calhoun
and Carolina Streets. -
Tallahassee.


HOME OF PRINCESS MURAT

To the South is the former
home of Princess Murat, niece


of George Washington, and wife
of Prince Achille Murat, neph-
ew of Napoleon.

One mile Southwest of Tal-
lahassee on State Highway
No. 19.


BATTLE OF NATURAL BRIDGE
1865

Five miles East is the site of
the Battle of Natural Bridge.
Here the Union Troops, under
General Newton, were defeated
on March 4, 1865, by the Con-
federate Troops stationed at
Tallahassee. The- Cadet Corps
of the West Florida Seminary
formed the center of the Con-
federate Line.

Five miles East of South
Edge of Woodville.


NEAMATHLA SPRING

Here stood the village of
Chief Neamathla, who assisted
the Comissioners delegated to
select a site for the Capital
of Florida.

Three miles East of Talla-
hassee North of State
Highway No. 19.


FORT SAN LUIS

Built by the Spaniards in
1640. Also site of Franciscan
Mission.

Two miles West of City lim-
its of Tallahassee on old
Quincy Highway.


CAMP JACKSON

One-half mile -North is the
site of the Camp of General
Andrew Jackson and his Troops
in 1818, during the first In-
dian War.

Eighteen miles West of Tal-


_ -.~~ -:"1".~--~~~ -'rs~C7









LEON COUNTY


lahassee on State Highway
No. 19.


JACKSON BLUFF
1818

Here General Jackson and his
men crossed the Ocklocknee
River, en route to Miocosukee,
in his campaign against the
Indians.

Seventy-five feet North of
Jackson Bluff Bridge.


TALLAHASSEE and ST. MARKS
RAILROAD

First Railroad constructed in
Florida and second in the
United States. Built in 1834-
36 to carry cotton and other
goods between Tallahassee and
the Port of St. Marks.

State Highway No. 10, South
of Tallahassee.


OLD ST. AUGUSTINE ROAD

This marks the old Indian
Trail from St. Augustine to
Pensacola.

Lafayette Street, Tallahas-
see.


PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OF TALLAHASSEE

Oldest Protestant Church in
the State of Florida. Built
in 1835.

Corner of West Park Avenue
and North Adams Street.


PRINCE AND PRINCESS
MURAT

Four blocks West, in the Divi-
sion of St. John's Episcopal
Cemetery, are the graves of
Prince and Princess Charles
Louis Napoleon Achille Murat.


Graves of Prince and Princess
Murat, Tallahassee


Prince Murat was the son of
the King of Naples and nephew
of Napoleon. Princess Murat
was the grand-niece of George
Washington.

Northwest Corner Monroe and
Call Streets, Tallahassee.


1 sis I I


--


'1(L4m

*F-l
*,'
^'"^ ^
t-^^ 'Wbr'W ^'









WadISON COUNTY


OLD BLOCK HOUSE
1818

This site marks the Old Block
House, the Refuge of the white
settlers of Madison County
during the Seminole Indian
War.

In City Park, Madison.


HICKSTOWN

Near this spot was the favor-
ite settlement of John Hicks,
Indian Chief of the Miccosuki-
ans.

Nine miles West of Madison
on State Highway No. 1.


MAOHALLA

Five miles East of this point
on the bluff side of Lake Sam-
palo is the site of the Span-
ish Mission of Machalla.

Three miles South of Green-
ville Junction of State
Highway No. 35 and Sundown
road.


NARVAEZ'S ROUTE

Near this point Narvaez cross-
ed the Aucilla River in 1528.

At the Aucilla River, six
miles West of Greenville,


on State Highway No. 1.


FLORIDA MANUFACTURING
COMPANY


One-half mile South of this
point was located the largest
Sea Island Cotton Ginnery in
the world.

State Road No. 1, at Range
Street Madison.


BATTLEFIELD OF
CLIFF'S HAMMOCK

Two miles East of this point
is located the battlefield
where Captain A. J. Lea, with
a band of citizens, drove the
last Seminole Indian from Mad-
ison County in 1843.

Ten miles South of Green-
ville State Highway No. 35.


CHULEOTA

Six and one-half miles North-
east stood the home of Judge
John C. McGehee, President of
the Secession Convention of
Florida. When this house was
built in 1857, it was consid-
ered the finest home in Flori-
da.

Junction of State Highway
No. 35 and Madison Road at
Sirmans.


-"" ~T-1









MANATEE COUNTY


GABLI MANSION

Refuge of Judah P. Benjamin,
Secretary of State after the
down-fall of the Confederacy.
Marked by U. D. C.

Ellenton State Highway No.
5.


BRADEN CASTLE

Built by Dr. Joseph A. Braden,
a pioneer settler, in 1854, on
his sugar cane plantation. A
refuge for the settlers, it
was raided by the Indians in
1856.

One mile East of Bradenton,
State Highway No. 161.


Old Gamble Mansion, Ellenton



ION COUNTY

MARION COUINrr


FORT McCOY

Five miles to the South is the
site of Ft. McCoy, first known
as pt. MacKay, one of a chain
of fortifications along the


Military Route used during the
Seminole War.

State Highway No. 244 at
Ft. McCoy (Town).


~-~
L, 1~i~:








MARION COUNTY


FORT KING
1827

One mile Southeast lies the
Site of Fort King, most impor-
tant of the Military Posts
maintained during the War with
the Seminoles.
Marked by D. A. R.

Three miles East of Ocala -
State Highway No. 19 at En-
trance to Highlands Club.


SILVER SPRINGS

Site of the Seminole Councils
of 1834. Here for the first
time Osceola took an active
part in the deliberations of
his people in the Florida In-
dian Wars.


State Highway No. 19,
miles East of Ocala.


EAST FLORIDA SEMINARY

Site of first institution of
higher learning, established
by the State of Florida. Lo-
cated here in 1853 and moved
to Gainesville in 1866.

Lime Street, between Fourth
and Fifth Streets, Ocala.


MILLWOOD PLANTATION

Former home of Col. Samuel
Hamilton Owens, where Gen.
John C. Breckinridge, Secre-
tary of War in the Cabinet of
Jefferson Davis, took refuge
on the night of May 20, 1865,
while escaping to Cuba after
the downfall of the Confeder-
acy.

State Highway No. 2, one-
half mile North of Reddick.


MARTIN COUNTY


"REFORMATION"

Near this spot, on September
23 1696, was wrecked the
British Bark Reformation.
Among the survivors was Jona-
than Dickenson, whose book,
"God's Protecting Providence",


was the first description of
Florida adventure written in
the English language.

State Highway 140 Ocean
Drive, 5 miles North of
Jupiter Inlet.


MONROE COUNTY


MAINE

The First message of the de-
struction of the Battleship
Maine, in Havana Harbor, was
received here by Thomas K.
Warren, February 15, 1898.


On the Southwest corner of
Fitzpatrick and Greene
Streets, Key West.


BUENA VENTURA

The Spanish tramp steamer,


__


-~C
I~








MONROE COUNTY


first prize of the Spanish-
American War, was captured by
the U. S. S. Nashville in
these waters April 23, 1898.

Just outside the harbor of
Key West, Florida.


INiIAN KEY

East of this point lies Indian


r Z'-- -


TEA TABLE KEY

Naval Base under command of
Lt. John T. McLaughlin, U.S.N.
to which survivors of Indian
Key Massacre escaped August 7,
1840.

Just South of Upper Mate-
cumbe Key and a mile East
of State Highway No. 4.


Port Jefferson, Dry Tortugas


Key, where Dr. Henry Perrine
and five other white people
were massacred by the Indians
on the morning of August 7,
1840.

Just North of Lower Mate-
cumbe Key One mile East
of Highway.


FORT JEFFERSON
1 8 46

Sixty-three miles West on Dry
Tortugas is Fort Jefferson.
Construction began 1846 and
never completed. Garrisoned
1861 and used as a prison.
Dr. S. A. uhdd confined 1865-
1869. Battleship Maine sailed
from here to Havana on last
voyage.


E _








MONROE COUNTY


Sixty-three miles West of
, Key West on Dry Tortugas.


SAN CARLOS

Established on this site in
1871. San Carlos Institute is
known as the Cradle of Cuban
Independence, because of the
very prominent part it played
during Cuba's fight for free-
dom from Spain.

West side of Duval between
Southard and Fleming
Streets, Key West.


RUSSELL HOUSE

Mateo Crozco, a Cuban Patriot,
killed Don Gonzalo Castanon in
a pistol duel on this site in
1870. Castanon, a Spanish ed-
itor, had published articles
in Cuba derogatory to Cuban
women.

On the West side of Duval
between Greene and Front
Streets, Key West.


A LOS MARTIRES DE CUBA

This is the only Monument in
the U.,S. A- dedicated to the
tDuban. artyrs. It was erected
in 1892 by the citizens of Key
West in memory of Cuba's Mar-
tyrs.

In the local cemetery, Key
West.


KEY WEST NAVAL STATION

This base was established by
Commodore David Porter in
1822, in his successful ef-
forts to end all piracy in
Southern waters.


FORT TAYLOR

Named after Zachary Taylor,
12th President of the U.S.A.
Fort Taylor was begun in 1844.
was garrisoned with Union
jops during the Civil War.

On the Southwestern shore
of Key West.


EAST MARTELLO TOWER

One of the two fortifications
begun in 1861, for a good de-
fense of the South shore of
Key West.

On the *Southern shore of
the Island, on Roosevelt
Boulevard, Key West.


WEST MARTELLO TOWER


One of the two
begun in 1861,
fense of the
Key West.


fortifications
for a good de-
South shore of


On the Southern shore of
Key West, at the Southern
end of White Street.


THE FIRST CIGAR FACTORY
1831

The First Cigar Factory in the
U. S. A. was established on
this site by Wm. H. Wall in
1851.

Between Duval and Fitzpat-
rick Streets, Key West.


At Western shore of the Is-
land, Key West.


--









NASSAU COUNTY


FORT McINTOSH

Established by the British un-
der Lt. Col. Fuser while on an
Expedition to capture The
American Fort McIntosh on the
Satilla River.

South end of Bridge over
St. Mary's River State
Highway No. 4.


ALLIGATOR CREEK

On June 30, 1778, Col. Elijah
Clarke, with a force of 300
American Cavalry, attacked a
force of British Troops under
Major James M. Provost. In
this skirmish Col. Clarke was
wounded and the Americans
withdrew.

Alligator Bridge at State
Highway No. 4.


FORT SAN CARLOS

Built by the Spaniards in
1680. Captured by Gregor Mac-
Gregor June 29, 1817. Surren-
dered to American forces Dec.
22, 1817, by Louis Aury, a pi-
rate, who succeeded MacGregor,
annexed Amelia Island to Mexi-
co and raised the Mexican flag
Sept. 21, 1817.

On the Plaza Old Fernan-
dina.


CITRONA TRACT
1784

Large Indigo plantation owned
by Lord Edgemont.

At intersection of Atlan-
tic Boulevard and Citrona
Road, Fernandina.


GRAVE OF PETER BOUISSOIN de
NICAR,

A Soldier of France Died
January 9, 1813.


Northwest corner Basque
Belle Cemetery, Fernandina.


HARRISON'S PLANTATION

Here on the night of September
9, 1817, a detachment of Flor-
ida Militia met and defeated a
large force from Fernandina
commanded by Jared Irwin.

Eight miles South of Fer-
nandina, on 8th Street.


YELLOW BLUFF
1802


Old plantation of Don
Fernandez. Scene of
bull fight ever held
continent.


Domingo
first
on this


End of Third Street, Fer-
nandina.


FORT CLINCH

Built in 1847 on site of old
Spanish fortress. Occupied
during the Civil War by both
Confederate and Federal
Troops. Abandoned as a Fort
in 1870.

North end of Island on Cum-
berland Sound.


McCLURE'S HILL
1817

On September 13, 1817, a Span-
ish force accompanied by Flor-
ida Militia, attacked Fernan-
dina, which was held by a few
nondescript Americans under
Jared Irwin. A few stray
shots from San Carlos so dis-
organized the Spaniards that
they retired and returned to
St. Lugustine.

9th Street opposite Hill,
Fernandina.


El


b~ I









NASSAU COUNTY


ASSOPO

Site of Indian Village where
Father Michael De Aunon and
Brother Anthony Badajoz of the
Franciscan Mission were slain
in 1593.

Near Public School and In-
dian Mounds, State Highway
No. 15, Fernandina.


OLD TOWN
1817

Captured by a force of Ameri-
cans under a Scotch Soldier of
Fortune, Gregor McGregor, a
General in the Army of Venez-
uela, who raised the Green
Cross of Florida over Fort San
Carlos, June 29, 1817. The
backers of this expedition
failed to send the promised
aid and so discouraged McGreg-
or that he turned over his
command to Jared Irwin and
sailed away on September ,
1817.

End of Estrada Street, Fer-
nandina.


HOME OF JOHN D. VAUGHN
1812

A Hero, who was a real sol-
dier, as well as a lover of
his home and land.
Marked.

Amelia City State High-
way No. 13.


WATERMAN'S BLUFF

West of here on the South bank
of the St. Mary's River is
Waterman's Bluff, where in Au-
just, 1816, a conference was
held between representative of
the Spanish Governor and the
people of Northeast Florida,
to divide the county into dis-
tricts for the purpose of
self-government.

Water front of Old Fernan-
dina.


DOMINIC de GOURGUES
1567

Here Dominic de Gourgues land-
ed and upon being joined by
the Indians, marched to the
attack on Ft. San Mateo (Ft.
Caroline) at St. Johns Bluff,
which he captured and destroy-
ed to avenge the massacre of
the French Huguenots under
Laudonniere.

Entrance to Fernandina on
State Highway No. 15.


ISLAND OF QUALE

Indian name of this Island.
First mentioned in history in
1564. Visited by Laudonniere,
Menendez and De Gourges. Re-
named Amelia Island by General
Oglethorpe in 1734, in honor
of the daughter of George II
of England.

Entrance to Fernandina
State Highway No. 13.









ORANGE COUNTY


FORT GATLIN

Established in 1837. Named
for Dr. John S. Gatlin, Assis-
tant Surgeon, U.S. Army, who
was killed in the Dade Massa-
cre.
Marked by D. A. R.

35 miles South of Orlando
and mile East on Gatlin
Avenue.

FORT MAITLAND

Established by Lt. Col. A.C.W.
Fanning in 1838.
Marked by D. A. R.

Two miles North of Winter
Park.


OSCEOLA'S CAMP

Used by Seminoles under Osce-
ola during the Seminole Indian
Wars.

East side Interlachen Ave-
nue, at Morse Park.


GENERAL TAYLOR'S
MILITARY ROAD

Route used between Fort Mait-
land and section South during


Seminole War.

Near Fort Maitland marker.


GENERAL TAYLOR'S
MILITARY ROAD

Route used between Fort Mait-
land and Fort Gatlin during
Seminole Wars.

West side of Airport Or-
lando.


FORT CHRISTMAS

Two and a half miles North is
the site of Fort Christmas,
established by General Abraham
Eustis, December 25, 1837.

At Christmas on Cheney
Highway State Highway
No. 22.


COUNCIL OAK

Due East one-fourth mile is
site of Oak Tree, under which
the Seminole Indians held
Council Meetings.

3/4 mile South of Orlando
City Limits (Grant Ave.)
On State Highway No. 17.


PALM BEACH COUNTY


FORT JUPITER

On the Pennock Plantation on
the South Bank of the river is
the site of Fort Jupiter. Es-
tablished in 1855 for Indian
control.

Jupiter South of bridge
over Loxahatchee River -
West of Highway No. 4.


CAPE CORRIENTES

On the Beach East of here is
the Easternmost point of Flor-
ida named Cape Corrientes by -
Ponce de Leon, on Sunday, May
8, 1513.

Riviera Junction of State
Highway No. 4 and Street to
Singer bridge.


Ij


-I~IIF~B~-------. I









PALM BEACH COUNTY


CELESTIAL RAILROAD

Erected by Seminole Chapter of
the N. S. D. A. R. February
MCMXXXII, as a memorial to the
pioneers of this section of
Florida. On this spot the
Celestial Railroad once con-


necting Jupiter with Juno, is
crossed by the Federal High-
way.
Marked by D. A. R.

North of West Palm Beach -
State Highway No. 4.


PINELLAS COUNTY


BIRTHPLACE OF COMMERCIAL
FLYING

Site of landing field from
which Tony Janus took off on
the first commercial flight of
an Airplane with Passengers
and Express St. Petersburg
to Tampa, January 1, 1914.

South side of Fill forming
Approach to Municipal Pier,
St. Petersburg.


FORT HARRISON
Established in 1841

Named in honor of President


William Henry Harrison.
Marked.


Harbor Oaks, Druid Road and
Orange Place Clearwater.


CAMPBELL HOME

Homestead of Capt. James P.
and Elizabeth Campbell McMul-
len; oldest log cabin in Pi-
nellas County 1852.
Marked by D. A. R.

Coachman Station, Four
miles North and East of
Clearwater.


POLK COUNTY


FORT MEADE

Here stood Fort Meade. A pro-
tection for the settlers dur-
ing the Seminole Indian Wars
1835 1858.


State
mile
Meade


Highway No. 2 One
Northeast of Fort
Railroad Station.


FORT GIBSON

In these grounds is the site


of Fort Gibson, which shelter-
ed the settlers during the
Seminole Indian Wars 1835 -
1858.

Entrance of grounds of Car-
penters & Joiners Home -
State Highway No. 2, Lake-
land.


FORT MELLON
TRAIL

Here passed the Military Trail


II









POLK COUNTY


from Fort Mellon at Sanford
through Fort Gibson to Fort
Brooke at Tampa.

Entrance to Home of The
Carpenters and Joiners of
America, Lakeland.


FORT BLOUNT

Site of Fort Blount built for
the protection of settlers
during the last Seminole War.

Southwest Corner Main
Street and Floral Avenue -
Bartow.


10TH U. S. CAVALRY


U. S. Cavalry (Colored) in
1898 prior to its embarkation
for Cuba. First Lieut. John J.
Pershing was on duty with this
regiment as Regimental Quar-
termaster.

Lake Wire Drive and Peach-
tree Street, Lakeland.


SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR
1898

North of this spot was the
Camp of the 71st New York In-
fantry and 2nd Massachusetts
Infantry.

Lake Morton Drive, Lakeland.


Here was the Camp of the 10th





PUTNAM COUNTY


BROWN'S LANDING

Four miles South, at Brown's
Landing, Captain Dickison's
Troop with two field guns, un-
der Lieut. Bates, successfully
attacked the Federal Gunboat
Ottawa and a Transport, on May
22, 1864.


County road on left beyond
Azalea Garden, Palatka.





ST. JOHNS COUNTY


THE OLDEST HOUSE

Possibly dating from the early
17th Century.
Marked by St. Augustine His-
torical Society.


TRADING POST

First Trading Post established
on this site in 1820. Burned
by the Indians in 1835.


Site
Coast
Water


of the Florida East
Railroad Station, on
Street, Palatka.


Located on St. Francis
Street, St. Augustine.


OLD SLAVE MARKET

Originally built by the Span-


II


a









ST. JOHNS COUNTY


ish in 1605. Rebuilt by the
English in 1765.
Marked.

East end of Plaza, St. Au-
gustine.


OLDEST WOODEN SCHOOLHOUSE

Constructed during the 17th
Century by Juan Genoply, who
had escaped from Turnbull's
Colony. Occupied as a school
as late as 1864.
Marked.

St. George Street just
South of the Old City
Gates, St. Augustine.


OLD SPANISH TREASURY

Constructed 1690-1695.

Corner of Treasury and St.
George Streets, St. Augus-
tine.


TREASURY STREET

St. Augustine's narrowest
street Laid out over 300
years ago.

Bay to Cordova Street, St.
Augustine.


FRANOISCAN MONASTERY

This site first occupied in
1577 by a Monastery, has un-
dergone many changes due to
fire and ware. In later years
the buildings were used as
barracks by the English and
Americans. Finally known as
St. Francis Barracks since
1838 it was later turned
over to the State of Florida
for military headquarters.

Present site of State Ar-
senal, St. Augustine.


TOLOMATO CEMETERY

Site of an early Spanish Chap-
el in which the Indians were
"'ristianized. The Cemetery
;es from 1784.

Located at North end of
Cordova Sbreet, just off
of Orange Street, St. Au-
gustine.


CATHEDRAL

Constructed by the order of
the King of Spain in 1793-
1797, dedicated December 8,
1796. Partially destroyed by
fire and rebuilt in 1887.

On Cathedral Place, oppo-
site the Plaza, St. Augus-
tine.


CITY GATES

"These gates were begun as a
defense against the English in
1743, during the reign of King
Phillip V, of Spain. In 1804
they were rebuilt of coquina
by Antonio Arredondo, Royal
Engineer of Spain.
Marked by National Society of
Colonial Dames of America.

Located at the North end of
St. George Street, St. Au-
gustine.


DON TOLEDO HOUSE

By native tradition, erected
1586. Built by Don Toledo for
Indian bride. Has old Wishing
Well, secret fire-place bank,
money vine and authentic muse-
um collection of St. Augustine
relics.

Located on Aviles Street,
St. Augustine.


DADE MEMORIAL

These three pyramids cover


--;-- I


T .I-`. .~I-.-~B









ST. JOHNS COUNTY


vaults containing the remains
of 1460 unknown soldiers of
the Florida-Indian Wars of
1835-1842.
Marked.

Located on Marine Street,
in National Cemetery, St.
Augustine.


SEA WALL

The first seawall was started
in 1690 by Don Diego de Quiro-
ga y Losada, Governor of Flor-
ida. Completed about 1700.
In 1837 the U. S. Government
started the present wall,
which was completed in 1843.

Extends from a point just
north of Fort Marion to a
point opposite the Parade
Ground at the State Arsen-
al., St. Augustine.


PRINCE MURAT HOUSE

This house was occupied by
Prince Achille Murat, nephew
of Napoleon and his wife,
Catherine, niece of George
Washington, in 1834-35. Prince
Murat served on the staff of
General Call during the Indian
War.

Corner of St. George and
Bridge Streets, St. Augus-
tine.


OLD SPANISH MONUMENT

Plaza bf the Constitution.
Promulgated in the City of St.
Augustine, East Florida, on
the 17th day of October, the
year 1812. Being then Govern-
or the Brigadier Don Sebastian
Kindalem, Knight of the Order
of San Diego For Eternal Re-
membrance The Constitutional
City Council erected this Mon-
ument under the supervision of
Don Fernando de la Plaza Arre-
dondo, the young Municipal Of-
ficer, oldest member of the


Corporation, and Don Francisc-
or Robira, Attorney and Re-
corder.
Marked.

Plaza de la Constitution,
St. Augustine.


SHRINE NUESTRA SENORA de
la LECHE

Ancient Shrine of Nuestra de
la Leche. Erected in early
days on the spot called Nombre
de Dios, where Pedro Menendez
de Aviles landed in 1565 and
laid the foundation of the
first permanent Spanish Colony
in the new continent. Here
the religious ceremony of tak-
ing possession of the land in
the name of God and of the
King of Spain took place and
the first Holy Mass was cele-
brated. Scene of the martyr-
dom of Father Rodrf.gez and a
Franciscan brother during the
Indian revolt of 1597. Dis-
mantled and abandoned during
the border raids from Georgia.
Rebuilt by Bishop Verot in
1873. Blown down by a storm a
year later. Re-erected by
Bishop Curley in 1918.
Marked.

On Ocean Street, one block
East off San Marco Avenue,
St. Augustine.


WIGWAM OF CHIEF TOLOMATO

"Notis-This werry elaborate
"Pile" is erecked in memory of
Tolomato, a Seminole ingine
chief whose wigwam stuud on
this spot and surroundings -
Wee cherris his memory, as he
was a good harted chief he
wood not take your skalp with-
out you beeged him to do so or
pade him sum munny. He always
akted more like a christshun
gentleman than a savage engine
chief let him R. I. P."
Marked.

Located on West side of


ml


I I









ST. JOHNS COUNTY


North Cordova Street ap-
proximately 100 feet off
Orange Street, St. Augus-
tine.


FORT SAN MARCO

Here in 1565 a log fort was
constructed by Pedro Menendez.
This fort, known as San Juan
de Pines, was captured and


CAPTURE OF OSCEOLA
1857

About two miles Southeast of
this point is the site of Fort
r-yton. About a mile beyond
is the spot where Osceola was
captured under a flag of
truce, October 26, 1837. He
died January 30, 1838, at Fort
Moultrie, South Carolina.


Interior of Port San Marco, St. Augustine


partially destroyed by Drake
in 1585. Construction of stone
fort was commenced in 1672 and
finished according to original
plans in 1690. It withstood
an attack by General Ogle-
thorpe in 1740 and was finally
completed in 1758.

San Marco Avenue (State
Highway No. 4) St. Augus-
tine.


Intersection of Fort Pey-
ton Road and State High-
way No. 14.


PICOLATA

Fortifications built during
the Indian Wars and afterwards
occupied by Federal Troops
during the Civil War.
This Post was under the com-
mand of 1st Lt. William Tecum-
seh Sherman, of the 3rd Artil-


4n









ST. JOHNS COUNTY


lery, in 1842.

Located about 1 mile South
of Catherwood Hall on
State Highway No. 47.


POINT QUARTELLE

On this point one-half mile
South, General Oglethorpe
erected sand batteries during
his attack on St. Augustine in
1740.

Where State Highway No. 78
turns West at Vilano Beach.


SIR FRANCIS DRAKE

On May 28th, 1586, Sir Francis
Drake, an English sea rover,
attacked St. Augustine, sack-
ing and during the town.

Anastasia Island Beach Road
in front of Light House.


OGLETHORPE'S BATTERIES

Approximately mile North of
this point, Gov. Oglethorpe,
of Georgia, on June 25, 1740,
laid seige to the Town of St.
Augustine, was unsuccessful
and retired July 7, 1740.

East end of Bridge of Li-
ons, Anastasia Island.


MASSACRE OF THEATRICAL
TROUPE

1.3 Miles down this road is
the site of the Massacre by
the Indians of five members of
a Theatrical Troupe, May 23,
1840.

Intersection of State High-
way No. 48 and Picolata
Road.


OLD SPANISH TRAIL

This stone marks the Old Span-


ish Trail from St. Augustine
to the St. Johns River and
points beyond. Used for 256
years from 1565 1821.
Erected by the St. Augustine
Historical Society, A.D. 1921.

Just South of the City
Limits of St. Augustine
State Highway No. 4.


MASSACRE OF THE
HUGUENOTS

Just West of here is the spot
where Jean Ribault and his
men, who had been shipwrecked
near Cape Canaveral, were mas-
sacred by the Spanish under
Pedro Menendez in September,
1565.
Marked by St. Augustine His-
torical Society.

Southern end of Anastasia
Island at Matanzas Inlet.


FORT MATANZAS

Built by the Spanish in 1736
to assist in protecting St.
Augustine against an antici-
pated attack by General Ogle-
thorpe. Occupied by English
Troops during the Revolution.

At the South end of Bridge
over Matanzas Inlet.


PORTENOPE
1825

Two and one-half miles East of
here was the plantation of
Prince Achille Murat, nephew
of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Intersection of State High-
ways 4 and 14.


FORT DIEGO

About five miles Southwest is
the site of Fort Diego, erect-
ed in the early 18th Century
by Don Diego to protect his


U


II









ST. JOHNS COUNTY


plantation. This fort was
captured and destroyed by Gen-
eral Oglethorpe at the time of
his attack on St. Augustine in
1740.

State Highway No. 78, at
Junction of Palm Valley
Road.


FORT PICOLATA

Ruins of 17th Century Spanish
Fort. Erected to guard old
Spanish Trail from St. Augus-
tine. Captured by the English
under General Oglethorpe on
January 1, 1740.


State Highway No. 47, five
miles North of Picolata.


FORT MOOSA

On a small marsh Island just
East stood a Fort built by Ne-
gro refugees from the British
Colonies. It was captured by
Col. Palmer, of General Ogle-
thorpe's Expedition in 1740.
Finally captured and destroy-
ed by American Troops in 1812.

Mile North of St. Augus-
tine, State Highway No. 4.


ST. LUCIE COUNTY


ANKONA

To commemorate the first white
settlement on Indian River un-
der the Armed Occupation Act.
From 1843 to 1849.
Marked by Citizens of St. Lu-
cie County.

State Highway No. 162 -
seven miles South of Fort
Pierce.


FORT CAPRON
1850 1859

Erected July 4, 1935, by Cora
Stickney Harper Chapter Daugh-


terms of the Revolution.
Marking Ft. Capron.

State Highway No. 162 -
three miles north of Fort
Pierce.


FORT PIERCE

1838-1842 Erected July 4,
1925, by Cora Stickney Harper
Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution, to mark
Fort Pierce.

One-half mile from Court
House on Indian River
Drive. State Highway 162.


SARASOTA COUNTY


JUDAH P. BENJAMIN

Here Judah P. Benjamin, Secre-
tary of State of the Confeder-


ate States of America,
aboard the schooner upon
he escaped to Nassau,
the Civil War.


went
which
after


rII









SARASOTA COUNTY


End of Bridge across Whi-
taker Bayou, near Sarasota


State Righway No. 5.


SEMINOLE COUNTY


FORT MELLON

Established 1836 by
A. C. W. Fanning.
Marked by D. A. R.


Lt. Col.


Three blocks South of Lake
Monroe on Mellon Avenue,
Sanford.


FORT READ

Established 1837. Occupied as
Supply Depot and Barracks.
Marked by D. A. R.

One and one-half miles
South of Lake Monroe, on
West side of Mellon Ave-
nue.


MILITARY ROAD

Trail followed by General
Zachary Taylor on march South
during Seminole Wars.

Road leading South from
Fort Mellon, Sanford.


GENERAL TAYLOR'S
MILITARY ROAD

Route used between Fort Read
and Fort Maitland during Sem-
inole Wars.

Near Fern Park Post Office-
State Highway No. 2.


SUMTER COUNTY


BREAKFAST POND

One-half mile East is Break-
fast Pond. Here Major Dade
and his command spent the
night and ate their last meal
a few hours prior to their
massacre.

Five miles South of Bush-
nell, State Highway No. 23.


DADE MASSACRE

One mile West is the place
where Major Francis L. Dade
and 108 men of his command
were massacred by the Seminole
Indians December 28, 1835.

One-quarter mile South of
Intersection of State
Highway No. 22 and 23 on
23 at intersection of
County Road.


ii




U


VOLUSIA COUNTY


TISSIMI MISSION

Built by Franciscan Friars,
1655. One of a chain of forty
-four. Destroyed by English
in 1706, afterwards rebuilt as
sugar mill.

State Highway No. 4, 11
miles North of Tomoko Riv-
er Bridge.


JOHN ADDISON FORT

About three miles Southwest is
the ruins of John Addison Fort
probably built about 1784.
Ruins in fairly good state of
preservation.

Junction of State Highway
No. 4 and Natural Gardens
Road.


TOMB OF JAMES ORMOND II

One Hundred yards West is the
tomb of one of the early set-
tlers of the Halifax Country
after whom the Town of Ormond
was named. Killed by a run-
away slave September 30, 1829.

About five miles North of
junction of State Highway
No. 4 and Natural Gardens
Road.


WRECK OF JEAN RIBAULT'S
SHIPS

A point at this Beach, in this
vicinity, was the scene of the
wreck of the "Trinity", and
two other ships of Ribault's
fleet. September 12, 1565.
The remainder of his fleet was
wrecked father South.

On Beach Highway, between
Ormond and Daytona Beaches.


STONE WHARF & RIFE
PITS

Pits were constructed at time


of Civil War engagement July
9 11 26, 1863. Wharf was
built by Turnbull Colonists
1768.

At foot of Clinch Street
New Smyrna at Mosquito la-
goon.


TURTLE MOUND

Eight miles South of here lies
The Mount of Surruque, named
after a tribe of Indians,
built for observation purposes
and recognized as a landmark
by all the early Spanish sail-
ors.

East end of bridge across
Indian River foot of Canal
Street, New Smyrna.


VOLUSIA LANDING

Here many of the Indian Trails
crossed the river. On the
Shell Mounds to the North
stood the Trading Post of Pan-
ton Leslie & Forbes. Fort
Columbia and Fort Barnwell
afterwards occupied this site.

East side of river, oppo-
site Astor. North of
State Highway No. 19.


MASSACRE MOUND

To the North, a shell mound
antedating the coming of the
Spaniards. Scene of a massa-
cre of settlers by the Indians
in 1835, and later of 10 ship-
wrecked Frenchmen. A later
owner was killed in a Federal
raid during the Civil War. A
tragic spot.

East end of bridge from
Nqw Smyrna to Coronado.


SITE OF EARLY SUGAR MILL

This machinery stands on the
original foundation. Exact


II









VOLUSIA COUNTY


but probably


Southwest corner Loomis
Avenue and Ridgewood Ave-
nue, Daytona Beach.


KING'S ROAD


Spanish Mission Trail -
English Military Road -
U. S. Mail Road


1632
1768
1821


State Highway No. 4, about
. mile North of Junction
with Bulow Creek Road.


KING'S ROAD


Spanish Mission Trail -
English Military Road -
U. S. Mail Road

State Highway No. 21,
Airport, Daytona Beach.


KING'S ROAD

Spanish Mission Trail -
English Military Road -
U. S. Mail Road


1632
1768
1821

at


1632
1768
1821


Three miles West of New
Smyrna State Highway No.
75 at Glencoe.


TURNBULL CANAL
1766-1773

Excavated by colonists under
the Founder of New Smyrna.
Part of large scale drainage
and irrigation development.

At City Line, South on
State Highway No. 4, New
Smyrna.


BATTLE OF DUN-LAWTON

Two miles Northwest at the
site of the Old Sugar Mill, on
January 18, 1836, was fought
the battle of Dun-Lawton, be-
tween the Seminoles, under


date unknown,
around 1800.


King Phillip and the U. S.
Forces.

State Highway No. 4 at cor-
ner of Herbert Street, Port
Orange.


DUMMITTS HILL

Site of burial of Union Seamen
of Gunboats Henry Andrew and
Penquin, killed in engagement
with 3rd Florida Regiment,
March 24, 1862.

One block South of Flagler
Avenue, Coronado Beach.


LARGEST LIVE OAK IN
FLORIDA

A mile and a quarter West
stands the largest live oak
tree in Florida 9 feet in
diameter, breast high.

Junction of State Highway
No. 4 and graded road at
Ariel.


THE OLD FORT

Remains of old Fort, probably
of Spanish construction, about
1700. Believed by many, how-
ever, to be the foundations of
a residence started by Dr.
Turnbull, leader of the New
Smyrna colony.

West side of Hillsborough
Street, Between Julia and
Washington Streets New
Smyrna.


TURNBULL CASTLE

Here stood the residence of
Dr. Andrew Turnbull, Founder
of New Smyrna, and leader of
the largest colonization proj-
ect ever attempted in this
country. 1766-1779.

State Highway No. 4, South
side of Spruce Creek.


U'


- ---------- ----









VOLUSIA COUNTY


SPANISH MISSION

Just South of here stand the
ruins of the Mission of Atocu-
imi de Jororo built by the
Franciscan Friars about 1696.

State Highway No. 75 at
Third Avenue, New Smyrna.


VOLUSIA

Six miles West is Volusia,
where once stood the Spanish
Mission of Mayaca, the Trading
T st of Panton, Leslie and
Forbes, and Port Barnwell and
Fort Columbia. Just across
the river stood Fort Butler.


Mission of Atocuimi de Jororo, New Syrna


INDIAN TRAIL

Here the old Indian Trail from
Volusia divided. One branch
led to the King's Road near
Onnond and the other ran North
to Palatka.

State Highway No. 3, three
miles North of Pierson.


Junction of State Highways
No. 3 and No. 19.


De LEON SPRINGS

Healing Spring of the Indians.
Site of early Spanish Sugar
Mill. Held in turn by the
English, the Indians and Span-
iards. Mill rebuilt by Thomas
Starke in 1854. Was destroyed


I


c









VOLUSIA COUNTY


by Federal Troops during Civil
War.


State Highway No. 3, at En-
trance to DeLeon Springs.


WAKULLA COUNTY


PROPHET FRANCIS

Half a mile West of this spot
is the site of the Village of
Hillis HadJo, known as the
Prophet Francis. Here Duncan
MoKrmnnon was saved from burn-
ing at the stake by Hadjo's
daughter, Malee. The Prophet
was hanged by order of General
Jackson in 1818.

One-half mile North of St.
Marks, on State Highway
No. 10.


PORT LEON
1837-1843

Two miles South is the site of
Port Leon, first Terminal of
Railroad built by Governor
Call, from Tallahassee to the
Gulf. The town was destroyed
by a hurricane and tidal wave
in September, 1843.

South end of bridge across
St. Marks River, at Road
Junction.


ST. MARKS

Six miles South of here on
March 4, 1865, the Federal
forces under General Newton


landed for their unsuccessful
attack on Tallahassee. They
were completely routed at the
Battle of Natural Bridge.

Junction of State Highways
No. 10, South of Tallahas-
see.


SAN MARCOS de
APALACHEE

At the Junction of the Wakulla
and St. Marks River are the
ruins of the old Fort built by
the Spanish in 1718 and re-
built by them in 1740 Cap-
tured by General Jackson in
1818.

State Highway No. 10 at
St. Marks.


WAKULLA SPRING

Three miles West is Wakulla
Spring, the largest in the
world. The gathering place of
the early tribes of Indians.
The bones of many prehistoric
animals are still found in its
depths.

State Highway No. 10, at
Wakulla River Bridge.


II









DUVAL COUNTY


CAMP CUBA LIBBE

JACKSONVILLE, FLA.

189 8_



UNITS OF THE 7TH ARMY
CORPS, MAJOR GENERAL
FITZHUGH LEE COMMANDING.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Here was the field headquar-
ters of Major General Fitzhugh
Lee, Commanding the 7th Army
Corps.

Northwest Corner of Liberty
and Phelps Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of the Second New
Jersey Volunteer Infantry.
Colonel E. W. Hine Commanding.

Southwest Corner Walnut
and Fifth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of the First North
Carolina Volunteer Infantry.
Colonel C. F. Armfield Com-
manding.

Southeast corner of Walnut
and Sixth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of First Wisconsin
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
S. P. Schadel Commanding.

Southeast Corner of Walnut
and Seventh Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of the Fourth Vir-
ginia Volunteer Infantry.


Colonel C. M. Taylor
ing.


Command-


Northwest Corner of Walnut
and Ninth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of the Fiftieth Iowa
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
D. V. Jackson Commanding.

Northeast Corner of Walnut
and Ninth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Forty-ninth Iowa
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
W. G. Dows Commanding.

Northwest corner of Walnut
and Tenth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBBE

Camp Site of the Fourth Illin-
ois Volunteer Infantry. Colo-
nel Casimer Andel Commanding.

Northeast Corner of Walnut
and Tenth Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Illinois
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
G. M. Moulton Comrianding.

East side of Walnut Street,
in middle of 1600 block.


II









DUVAL COUNTY


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Virginia
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
James C. Baker Commanding.

West side of Walnut Street,
in middle of 1800 block.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Ninth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
James P. Campbell Commanding.

Northwest Corner of Eighth
and Perry Streets.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Third Nebraska
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
William Jennings Bryan Com-
manding.

Trout River Drive just
North of Hope Haven.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Alabama
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
J. W. Cox Commanding.

East side of Talleyrand
Avenue, just South of Un-
ion Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Texas Vol-
unteer Infantry. Colonel L.
M. Oppenheimer Commanding.

East side of Talleyrand
Avenue, one block north of
Union Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of First Texas Vol-
unteer Infantry. Colonel W.
H. Mabry Commanding.

East side of Talleyrand


Avenue at Jessie Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Fifteen hundred feet West is
the Camp Site of the First
Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
Colonel Charles C. Hunt Com-
manding.

Northwest corner of Talley-
rand Avenue and Jessie
Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBFE

Camp Site of Second Louisiana
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
Elmer E. Wood Commanding.

East side of Talleyrand
Avenue, three blocks North
of Union Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of First Louisiana
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
W. I. Stephens Commanding.

East side of Talleyrand
Avenue, at Sinclair Oil
Company Bulk Plant.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

One-half mile West is the Camp
Site of First Alabama Volun-
teer Infantry. Colonel Elijah
0. Higdon Commanding.

West side of Talleyrand
Avenue opposite Sinclair
Oil Company Bulk Plant.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Fourth U. S. Vol-
unteer Infantry, (Immunes).
Colonel James S. Pettit Com-
manding.

West side of Talleyrand
Avenue, opposite Southern
Warehouse and Forwarding


II


I









DUVAL COUNTY


Company's Plant.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second South Car-
olina Volunteer Infantry.
Colonel Willie Jones Command-
ing.

Southeast corner of Ever-
green Avenue and Virginia
Street Panama Park.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Mississip-
pi Volunteer Infantry. Colo-
nel William A. Montgomery,
Commanding.

Southwest corner of Trout
River Drive and Oakwood
Street Panama Park.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Sixth Missouri
Volunteer Infantry. Colonel
Letcher Hardeman Commanding.

North side of Buffalo Ave-
nue just East of Evergreen
Cemetery.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of First South Caro-
lina Volunteer Infantry.


Colonel J. K. Alston Command-
ing.

Southwest corner of Lawton
Avenue and Buffalo Avenue -
Panama Park.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of One Hundred and
Sixty-first Indiana Volunteer
Infantry. Colonel Winfield T.
Durbin Commanding.

Southwest corner of Trout
River Drive and Tamarack
Street Panama Park.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

Camp Site of Second Wyoming
Volunteer Cavalry. (Torrey's
Rough Riders). Colonel Jay L.
Torrey Commanding.

Southwest corner of Main
and Sixty-sixth Street.


CAMP CUBA LIBRE

This marks the site of The
Convalescent Hospital for sick
soldiers from Camp Cuba Libre
at Jacksonville during the
Spanish American War.

Northeast corner of First
Street and Pablo Avenue -
Jacksonville Beach.










University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs