PRICK, IO CENTS.
WILLIAM A. BOURS & CO. Grain, Hay, Garden Seed,
Flow, Grits, ffleal end Fertilizers.
J Send for CatalogueFREE. No. 6 East Bay Street, JACKSONVILLE, FLA.
108-110 Worth Street, New York.
AND WHOLESALE DEALERS IN
potions, SmallrxtaPe, Clothing, 8te.
Nos. 2 and 4 West Bay Street, JACKSONVILLE, FLA.
GOOp < POT,
#. Diamonds, F Watches, IV pine Jeuaeltty.
15 West Bay Street,
SOUVENIR *****------o POONS.... (OF?FjriDA-,
We have a large assortment in new and artistic designs.
In this line we have ten different designs, entirely new and very pretty. Prices ranging from 50 cents to $&5Q.
All the latest and most artistic Novelties in Silver, Leather and Gold Goods. A cordial invitation is-extended to you to call at our store and look over our new selection of Artistic Goods.
PRICE, IO CENTS.
PniNTKB by The H, A W. D. Dbkw Comsr. Publishes by George Shaw, Jacksonviui, Florida,
THE MARVIN SHOE CO.
Wholesale and Retail Dealers in
Boots, Shoes and Rubbers,
No. 5 East Bay Street, Jacksonville, Fla.
Fine Kid Shoes,
In every Shape, Weight and Style
FINE OXFORDS. C
Men's, Boys' and Youth's Fine Shoes.
All Colors. Weights and Sizes.
All of the best manufacture, and up-to-date in every particular. All made with a view of affording the greatest comfort with perfect style. Special attention given to mail orders.
The Marvin Shoe Co.,
5 East Bay Street.
PAST AND PRESENT.
Of this Florida, this youngest in development of the sisterhood of American commonwealths; this land of the semi-tropics, so highly favored by Heaven, so rich in blessings to mankind. Jacksonville is the natural entrepot and metropolis, the centre of finance, commerce and transportation, and ranking third only in importance of the cities on the South Atlantic seaboard.
The place where Jacksonville now stands was formerly known only as the chief place of crossing the St. Johns River. The Indian name was Wacca Pilatka. Its literal meaning, and the nearest that it can be rendered into English is the "Cows Crossing Over." By all English speaking people who know of it, it was abbreviated into the Cow Ford.
The English, while they possessed the country, constructed a road leading from St. Augustine northwest to the river at this place, and hence in the same direction to the Georgia line and far beyond. This was before the Revolution. Spain had previously possessed the province, but had never opened a road through any part of it worthy the name ; nor did she afterwards when she became repossessed of it. The road opened was called the Kings Road, and it is so known to this day. It brought travel from the Southern States, and when the Patriot War began, it led the Patriot
army to the St. Johns. Here it lay encamped around the Cow Ford for several weeks. This was in 1812. The army finally crossed the river, and advanced to St. Augustine;. but having no heavy guns, it was impossible to capture the fort, and after.lying before it several months, it drew off and retraced its steps, and remained for a time on the east side of the river, and finally recrossed at the Cow Ford and dispersed never to unite Again. As early as the year 1800 Isaac Hendricks, owning a Spanish grant on the south side of the river, operated the first ferry for the accommodation of travelers. But it was not until the year 1816 that a settlement wTas made on the north side of the river. In that year Lewis G. Hogans, another Spanish grantee, built the first house of the future metropolis of Florida, and became the first settler. Mr. Hogans had married the widow of Purnall Taylor, who had a one-hundred acre grant from Spain, and became a settler with the Hogans on adjoining property. He soon left, however, and in 1820 conveyed his property to John Brady, who proceeded to occupy and improve it. Mr. Brady, by reason of his entertaining, at his house, the few travelers who stopped over in the new settlement, enjoys the distinction of having kept the first hotel in which has since become one of the foremost hotel cities in the country.
The first store was conducted by Dawson & Buckles, two Georgians, who were among the first settlers.
On the 22d of February, 1819, Spain ceded Florida to the United States. This was a signal for the influx of emmi-grants from every direction. Among the first of these was
John Locke Doggett, who afterwards built the first courthouse, and became the first county judge, besides holding many other positions of trust and honor, including the presidency of the legislative council of the territory. Colonel I. D. Hart and his brother Daniel C. Hart, who likewise became prominent in public affairs.
In 1822 the town was laid out and named in honor of General Andrew Jackson, the first Territorial Governor. Messrs. John Bellany, [Benjamin Chavis and Francis Eoss, were the town commissioners; D. H. Miller, the surveyor. The city was not incorporated, however, until 1833. The first mayor was William I. Mills, of an English family. The community flourished and grew, and the inhabitants prospered ,'until the breaking out of the Seminole war in 1835, when there was a general cessation in all lines of business until the restoration of peace in 1842. While Jacksonville was never attacked during this war, her commerce and interior trade, as well as all agricultural operations in the interior were entirely suspended. All able-bodied men were on duty, and the planters with their families and slaves had fled to Jacksonville for protection from the marauding savages. With the end of the war came another era of prosperity, which continued uninterrupted until the Cival War was inaugurated. It destroyed everything. Jacksonville was abandoned by it's inhabitants, by all who could get away; many of them lost all. They went mostly into the interior, where for four years they struggled with privation and hardships unknown before. When the war had ended and they returned, it was to find, in many cases, their home and build-
ings destroyed, and themselves without a shelter, and unable to recognize the places where they had lived. The United States army had held possession, though at the first not continuouslyand while here had put the torch to and burned down every building on the outer edge of the town, and had thrown up breastworks in almost every quarter.
At the close of the war in 1865 the little city had a population of about 5,000; but the people were in a fearfully demoralized condition. The principal buildings, including the courthouse, churches, schools, anil-'many of the residences had been destroyed by fire. Business was at a standstill. The only means of communication with the outside world being by one railroad, the Florida Central and Peninsular as it is now called, running from Jacksonville to Quinoy without connection with any oilier line. This road, for want of adequate repairs and equipment at that time was almost worthless, and as some wit described it, was "only two streaks of rust running through a wilderness." Gradually, however, the leading spirits got together, and before long all kinds of business carried on before the war were by degrees revived to a greater extent than ever.
Until the Present Time. The progress and development of Jacksonville from the close of the war to the present time is one unique in the history of the South. There has never been any great "boom," but a continual steady and progressive spirit has been ever dominant among her citizens, until to-day she is acknowledged to be one of the finest cities in the South*
Jacksonville, the metropolis of Florida, population in 1895, 25,130, is situated on the northern, or western, bank of the majestic St. Johns River, twenty-five miles from the ocean, at a point at which the magnificent stream, deviating from its northerly course, makes a great bend to the east and then north again. The title of the "Orescent City" is almost as applicable to Jacksonville as to New Orleans. The city is in every respect modern and progressive, and its population is more cosmopolitan than that of any other city in the South. All nationalities and all parts of the United States are represented among its inhabitants. Jacksonville has twenty miles of streets paved with vitrified brick, and many more paved with shell or otherwise macadamized. It also owns and operates a city electric lighting plant, and has about twelve miles of electric street railroads, a sewerage system that is being rapidly extended, deep artesian water, and efficient police and fire departments. Seven lines of railway and several ocean and river steamship lines afford it good transportation facilities to and from all points. It has an extensive wholesale trade in all leading lines, is a large shipper of lumber, and, in fact as well as name, is the gateway to Florida. The climate is delightful, and the city is unexcelled as a center from which to make pleasant excursions to all parts of the State. School, church and social facilities are of the best.
The city has a water frontage of nine miles on the St. Johns, with unlimited opportunities for the extension of wharves, docks, lumber yards, and other commercial and manufacturing facilities. The streets are laid out regularly,
with a width ranging from thirty-three to eighty feet, and an average of sixty-two feet. The Philadelphia plan" of numbering is followed. Main street, running north from the river, is the dividing line between East and West" in the names of the transverse streets. The blocks, with few exceptions, are 210x 315 feet in dimensions. The public health is zealously guarded by the sanitary department of the city government.
STREETS AND BUILDINGS.
Bay Street, the principal thoroughfare, runs east and west parallel with the river, and the first street away from it, with stately buildings on either side, the most prominent of which The Gardner," completed June, 1897, was erected by Mr. D. B. Gardner, of Chicago, at a cost of over $80,000. The Union Passenger Depot, at the extreme west of Bay street, is a handsome brick structure, with a cement cast covering, trimmed with red brick, and a roof of terra cotta tiling. The building covers an area 365 feet long by 120 feet wide. The waiting room is one story high, with a floor area of 12,000 square feet. In this are located the general ticket office, office of the Pullman Sleeping Car Company,Western Union Telegraph Company, news stand, toilet rooms, restaurant, and office of the station master. The baggage room is located to the left of the main cor rider, and is a commodious apartment 54x100 feet. Adjoining this are the offices of the Southern Express Company.
Main Street and Forsyth Street are the next most important business thoroughfares of the city. It is on Forsyth,
111 111 11111111111111111111111111J
H DODGE & CULLENS
between Main and Ocean, that the new city hall and market stands. This convenient and extensive modern two-story brick edifice, covering half a block, having a broad interior court, and a lofty, well designed and proportioned clock tower was built in 1895-6, at a cost of over $100,000. The ground floor is principally leased for stores and market stalls, the court being utilized for the latter purpose, while the second floor contains that of council chamber and the offices of the various municipal departments. Market Street, a few years ago the business centre of the city, is now conspicious from its sombre aspect. At the foot of the street stands the old city building, while at the intersection with Forsyth Street we find the Law Exchange on one corner, the Duval County Court House on another, and right opposite the new Armory, a handsome structure in stone, built in 1896-7 by the Commissioners of Duval County at a cost of $24,000. The United States Postoffice and Custom House at the corner of Forsyth and Hogan, a handsome structure in stone, devoted to the interests of the postal service, while on the second floor the officials of the Custom House, Collector of Internal Revenue and United States Court are to be found.
The hotels of Jacksonville are many, and in the main well kept. The St. James is the largest and oldest of these, having been under the control of Mr. J. R. Campbell for the past twenty-seven years. The Windsor, the next in importance, promises to rival the St. James from now on more than
JAMES opened usvrfri
December 7, 1897 || |^ ^
Saint Sames parft
IIXIIXJLIIIIIIIXXIXXIIXXXIXIIIIIIIXIXXI J. R, CAMPBlELL
"Independent Line Steamers."
U. S. FAST MAIL.
Daily service all, the Year.
St. Johns River Service.
Daily Afternoon Excursions.
Leaves foot of Main Street at 2.30 p.m., for
Orange Park, Mandarin and Green Cove Springs.
Manatee River Service.
Elegant Iron Steamer
Leaves Tampa daily at 7 a.m. for
General Offices, Jacksonville, Fla.
C. E. GARNER, H. D. DeGROVE,
President and General Manager. General Freight and Pass. Agent.
it ever did heretofore. Messrs. Dodge and Cullens, the well-known proprietors of the Duval, have purchased the hotel and will run it all the year round. The Oarleton Hotel, at the corner of Bay and Market Streets, is handsomely furnished and has all the conveniences of an up-to-date hotel, every room in the house being in direct communication with the office through oral annunciator. Mrs. E. E. Marshall, the proprietor, has secured for herself and the Carleton a reputation for home comforts and surroundings for her guests second to none in the State. Among the other hotels may be mentioned the Everett, the Elliot, the New Duval, the Grand View, the Geneva and the Kiver View, all of w*hich have a good patronage.
The City Park. This picturesque and well cared for open space occupies the square bounded by Laura, Duval, Hogan and Monroe. It is a small, but exceedingly lovely spot; wTith its fountains, flowers, shrubbery and trees it is a perfect little garden and Jacksonville's favorite city resort.
Riverside Park is a tract of fourteen acres, situated in Riverside, having been donated to the city by a Mr. Forbes of Boston several years ago. Prior to 1891 it was nothing more than unimproved land, but in the past few years much has been done to transform and beautify the spot, much to the gratification of the local residents.
Railroad and Steamship Companies.
In this connection Jacksonville can fairly claim unexcelled facilities for quick and ready transportation to all parts of the United States. It is the terminus of six railway lines, whose connections and branches extend to all points of the compass, while the various steamship and steamer lines, with their connections from Jacksonville, make it the starting point for Cuba, Jamaica and the Bahama Islands.
In the winter season, "Transportation Row," situate between Julia and Hogan Streets, on Bay Street, presents a lively spectacle, throngs of visitors being in evidence around the offices of the various companies, eager for information, greeting their old friends and acquaintances the genial Passenger Agents of the various lines. The Florida Central & Peninsular Railroad, The Plant System of Railways, The Florida East Coast Railway, and The Jacksonville, Tampa & Key West Railroad, are all represented in the Rowt" and each can present many claims as to why you should travel on their particular line. Special Vestibuled trains direct from New York, without change, are operated in the winter months by both the Florida Central & Peninsular Railroad, with the Southern Railway and its connections, and the Plant System, and arrangements have been made with these two companies and the Ocean Steamship Company for special service between Jacksonville and Savannah to meet the vessels of the Savannah Line entering that port, for
those who prefer a taste of the briny deep as an entre to their tour of the Sunny South."
The Clyde Line also operates a line of steamships between Jacksonville, New York and Boston, together with a steamer line to the various points of interest on the St. Johns River, as also the Independent Line of Steamers, foot of Main Street, and the Beach and Miller Line, foot of Laura Street. ,
These companies offer first-class means of travel, and the visitor to Florida should not fail to take a glimpse at the exquisite scenes along the banks of the St. Johns River while here.
THE ONLY COMPLETE LINE OF
# Alligator Leather Goods,
rWalking Canes, Florida Souvenirs, Golf, Tennis and Sporting Goods, Photographic Supplies,
-AND ALL THE LATEST_
mm PnttI and Periodicals,
CAN BE FOUND AT.....
59 & 61 WEST BAY ST., JACKSONVILLE, FLA.
OCEAN STEAMSHIP CO.
A TRIP BY SHIP."
The Magnificent Steamships of this Line, with unsurpassed accommodations, and offering all the comforts and conveniences of a modern hotel, are appointed to sail fronx.
Savannah to New York,
^/\| LY excePt Thursdays and Sundays.
New York to Savannah,
DAILY except Sundays.
Between Savannah and Boston on Wednesdays,
as per published schedule. The Fleet consists of the First-Class Steamships Kansas City, Tallahassee, City of Augusta, City of Macon, Birmingham, Narcoochee, Chattahoochee, Gate City.
The Finest Coastwise Passenger Steamships flying the American flag. 45 to 55 Hours to New York. Deep-Draft Ship.
One-way and Round-trip Excursion Tickets are on sale at all important railway stations.
For further information, Tickets and Berth Reservations, apply at
All correspondence will receive prompt attention. W. J. FARBELL, WALTER HAWKINS,
Sol. Frt. Agt. Florida Pass. Agt.
224 West Bay St., Jacksonville, Fla. E. F. CHARLTON, fta'i Eastern Agt., W. E. ARNOLD, G. T. P. A.,
_______ 317 Broadway, N. Y. 317 Broadway, N. Y.
E. H. HINTON, T. M Savannah, Ga.
of every description.
All our instruments are up to date in every respect; beautiful in design and finish, unsurpassed as to volume and quality of tone.
Hgg^The rule of our house is: No dissatisfied customers, and we point with pride to the fact that during our entire business experience, covering many years in this line, no complaint has ever been made which was not promptly attended to and to the entire satisfaction of the customer.
Our Terms are Easy. Oar Prices are Lowest*
Our Instruments the Best.
We pay freight, give a handsome Piano Stool, Scarf, Instruction Book and Selection of Music, and guarantee each instrument for six years.
Write us for anything you may want in our line. Correspondence promptly attended to.
MANIER & LANE MUSIC; CO.,
24 East Bay Street, Jacksonville, Fla.
The principal suburbs of the city are Springfield, Riverside and East Jacksonville.
Springfield is a residence suburb, and is best reached, by the street cars running from corner Bay and Main Streets, leaving Jacksonville the Board of Trade building will be passed at the corner Main and Adams Streets; the Bethel Baptist Church (colored) at Main and Union Streets, and the extensive grounds and buildings of the City Water Works on the west side of Main Street just after crossing Hogans' Creek.
Riverside stretches along the banks of the St. Johns River in the western end of the city for more than three miles. Riverside avenue is the principal thoroughfare and the favorite drive about the city. It is a residential suburb entirely. Landscapes of great beauty abound at the end of the street car line. The electric cars of the Jacksonville Street Railroad Company run through the suburb which ma kes it easy of access for residents and visitors alike. A fine view of the St. Johns River is afforded at this point, which stretches away for miles southward with a splendid prospect of forest and grove on the eastern shore. Here the full benefit of the fresh river breeze may be enjoyed as in no other part of the city.
East Jacksonville. The principal places of interest in this suburb are several large lumber mills on the river front, the St. Lukes Hospital, at the corner of Duval and Palmetto streets; at the terminus of the street car line,
the Old Fair Grounds. During the past few months many of Jacksonville's most prominent citizens have associated themselves together for the purpose of using these grounds in the interest of outdoor sports and games. They will undoubtedly prove themselves a valuable addition to Jacksonville to all lovers of golf, tennis, polo and base ball. Near by these ground's is the well known Roseland Hotel, from which point may be seen many charming vistas of river and shore.
J. A. CONOVER'S--
* Drug Store
Complete Stock Prompt and Courteous Attention
Corner Bay and Julia Streets, under Everett Hotel Jacksonville, Kjla.
The McMurray Livery, Sale # Transfer Co.
This Company, successors to the late Thomas McMurray's bnsiness, established at their present quarters, corner Newnan and Forsyth Streets, in 1879, transact a general Livery, Sale, Boarding and Transfer business, and carry a larger stock of fine turnouts than can be found in any similar place south of New York City, and will furnish with promptness almost any kind of a turnout any one may desire, including Landaus, Victorias, T Carts, Traps, Surries, Buggies, etc.
Furnishing as it does the livery for the St. James, Windsor, Everett, Carleton, and Grand View Hotels, is a sufficient guarantee of good service.
It also at all times carries a stock of Horses and Mules for sale. Conducts Shoeing, Painting and Harness Shops in connection, thus being able to give better satisfaction to its patrons than any stable in this city.
Parties desiring a turnout for a drive, or any service attainable at such an institution, will find it to their advantage to give them a call.
UNION DEPOT TRANSFER LINE.
Telephones, 45, New and Old ; Union Depot, 767.
E. B. DALTON,
Men's, Boys' and Children's Clothing,
Gents' Furnishing Goods and Hats.
No. 33 East Bay Street, JACKSONVILLE, FLA.
>- Bvetfett Bloek.
Hot and Gold Battis. Porcelain Bath Tubs.
Davis & Robinson,
Wholesale and Retail Dealers in
Oranges, Fruits, Strawberries, Northern Produce,
Turkeys, Chickens, Eggs, Early Vegetables, etc.
Hotels and Steamboats Supplied at Short Notice.
WE MAKE A SPECIALTY OF
SUPPLYING PRIVATE CARS AND YACHTS.
Orders by Mail or Wire Promptly Filled.
telephone 216. 122 OCEAN STREET
p o. box 216. and CITY MARKET.
Iiive and Stuffed Alligators
?????????????? ???????????? mini ??????????????
-< s I r^'imflffI o I
O t 'v Mr^KliHMI If U 2 rn 5
JVIonstei* Live Alligators on F^ee Exhibition.
121 West Bay Street,
Opposite Southern Express Company.
Street Car Schedules.
Subject to change without notice.
Riverside and East Jacksonville Line.
Cars carry Red Flags daylight and show Red Lights at night, and run between Riverside and East Jacksonville. Distance, 4 miles.
First Car leaves Riverside...........................................6.15 a.m.
First Car leaves East Jacksonville..................................6.15 a.m.
Cars leave Rivers:de, Hogan Street and East Jacksonville every 15 minutes from 6.15 a.m. until 8.15 p.m., when the cars are run as follows :
Leave East Jacksonville..................... .......................8.15 p.m.
Arrive Hogan Street.................................................8.30 p.m.
" Riverside.................................................... .8.45 p.m.
Leave Riverside...................................................8.15 p.m.
Arrive Hogan Street.................................................8.30 p.m.
" and leave East Jacksonville.................................8.45 p.m.
Thus leaving East Jacksonville and Riverside at intervals of 30 minutes after 8.30 p.m.
The last car leaves East Jacksonville at 11.15, arriving Hogan Street 11.30, and will run into the car barn after having carried all passengers to their destinations.
Last through car leaves Riverside..................................10.45 p.m.
Depot or West Bay Line.
Cars carry White Flags in daylight and show White Lights at night, and run between the Terminal Station and Market Street. Distance, about 1J4 miles.
Car leaves Market Street....................... ................6.00 a.m.
Arrive and leave Union Depot...................................6.10 a.m.
Making the schedule every 10 minutes of the hour up to 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., car leaves Market Street every 20 minutes up to 11.10 p.m.
Newnan and Hogan Street Line.
Cars carry Green Flags in daylight and show Green Lights at night. Run between Beaver, Hogan and Bay Streets to Oakland. Distance, nearly 3 miles.
First car leaves Beaver Street.................. ....................6.20 a.m.
Arrive and leave Oakland..................................6.40 a.m. ,
First car leaves Oakland.............................................6.20 a.m.
Arrive and leave Beaver Street............................6.40 a.m.
Leaving Beaver Street and Oakland each hour, and at 20-minute intervals thereafter up to 11 p.m.
Absolutely the Shortest Route.
Pullman Drawing-Room Cars, Dining Cars, Thoroughfare Coaches, Vestibuled Trains.
NORTH -EAST WEST
Two Daily Trains between Florida and the EastWashington and Southwestern Limited, and the United States Fast MailOnly 21 Hours Jacksonville to WashingtonOnly 27 Hours Jacksonville to New York Solid Vestibuled Trains, composed of Latest Improved Pullman Sleeping Cars and Hotel Dining Cars, Through without change to Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and the EastThrough Pullman Drawing-Room Sleeping Cars between Jacksonville and NashvilleThrough Sleeping Cars daily Jacksonville to Cincinnati, via Asheville, through the Land of the Sky."
For detailed information as to Rates. Schedules. Sleeping Car Reservations, etc., apply to any Agent of the Southern Railway or its connections.
I.. A. SHIPMAN,
Florida Pass. Agent, 213 West Bay St., Jacksonville, Fla.
New Phone 743. Old Phone 743.
This is the line of short, quick routes.
See the map.
All Northern Points and All Florida.
Note the routesjthrough the Beautiful Mountain Regions.
Celebrated Asheville Line.
Get best indexed map of Florida and List of Hotel, Hunting and Fishing Resorts from Agents, or A. O. MacDONELL, Gen'l Passenger Agt., Jacksonville, Fla. N. S. PENNINGTON, Traffic Manager.
City Ticket Office 202 West Bay Street,
Information also at Union Station Ticket Office, Jacksonville.